Boys & Girls Club Employee Reviews

Found 1,060 reviews matching the search
A very fun and productive environment
Junior Staff (Former Employee) –  Brighton, CODecember 29, 2015
When I was working at the Boys & Girls Club, I was usually working the front desk. I would check kids in and out of the system (facility) and I would verify the identification of the people who would pick up the members (kids). I would also be supervising the children within the "Game room" of the facility and clean up the facility regularly. Finally, I would take care of any other tasks asked of me by my supervisor. As I worked at the Boys & Girls Club, I learned how to patiently take care of tasks while taking care of and supervising members (kids) at the Boys & Girls Club within a reasonable time. Management within the facility was very professional and handled very well between the staff members. The people I worked with while I was at the Boys & Girls Club were very friendly and yet professional. They all took care of everything they needed to and taught me to do the same. The hardest part of the job was having to stop working there. I really enjoyed my time there professionally and personally. The most enjoyable time of the job was when I was able to work with the members of the club and speak with the parents of upcoming programs and events.
Pros
Free meals, fun environment
Cons
having to deal with angry parents, and/or members
Youth development Specialist
YOUTH DEVELOPMENT SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Youngstown, OHDecember 29, 2015
When I worked at the club. My dat consisted of watching and teaching inner city kids about life. We had programs that we taught, homework help that was needed. I played games with the children when it was free time.
Productive work place
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVDecember 28, 2015
I really liked working here but prior to working there we had training and how the other workers treated the kids was not how we were trained.
An Excellent Experience
Assistant Instructor (Former Employee) –  Charlestown, MADecember 28, 2015
I learned how to be social with smaller children. There were no difficult tasks and I enjoyed every part of this job. I found my organization skills to be most useful in this job. I worked diligently in each task and made sure they were done on time.
Pros
A good work experience.
jr staff
JUNIOR STAFF (Former Employee) –  Vineland, NJDecember 24, 2015
the boys and girls club is a great place to work they teach you so much. it's a great place to show you how a real job could be and how the work place works .
Great company that does its best!
Program Aide (Fine Arts Instructor) (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 22, 2015
Worked here for almost four years! Gotta love what they do offering low-income child enrichment. Loved 99.9% of everyday!
Pros
great culture, great kids
Cons
under funded, training and
very rewarding job
Youth Development Professional (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYDecember 22, 2015
run the front desk until 2pm, take the van and pick kids up at school, unload van, pick up my class in the gym and go to room, send kids to cafeteria for tutoring if they had homework, do programming with the rest of the class, do what was on our agenda for that day, gather all the kids in the gym at the end of the day, take the kids home on the van, bring the van back and clock out.
Pros
Being there for someone who may not have anyone
Cons
Not being able to help more than you are able to
Fun and great after school programming for at risk youth
Director (Former Employee) –  Tulare, CADecember 17, 2015
I was in charge of the Tulare Youth Center. I managed the city of Tulare staff and Boys and Girls club staff and maintained or implemented new and creative afterschool programming for youth ages 9-18.
I was under the Operation Director and Executive Director in Visalia, California. The management was at times confusing as we had differences when it came to funding or the importance of quality programing. Theirs were on outcomes, unfair budget cuts and fulfilling minimal grant requirements, where my heart and commitment was to the at Risk youth to which the grant was given.
Co-workers, were of course my staff and I enjoyed and got along with each one. They brought quality and whole heart programming to the youth to which we shared that common interest and goal.
The hardest part of the job was seeing some of the youth making repeated bad decisions where they were kicked out of the program.
The most enjoyable part of the job was watching these youth change and find the love and acceptance they lacked. Not only did they get quality programming, they were loved. Even until today, the youth I was privileged to serve then are now adults but continue to remind and thank us for the time invested in them. There is no greater reward than to see what a difference you made in someone's life.
Pros
Quality afterschool programming
Cons
budget cuts
Fun job with low pay
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 17, 2015
The Boys and Girls Clubs of King County has a great mission, and I truly enjoyed working with the kids. However, the pay is very low. They are trying to fix this right now by giving higher wages to new employees; however, they are not giving raises to current employees. That means new employees will be making more money than their coworkers who have been working at the organization for years.
Pros
Great kids, get payed to play
Cons
Low pay, undervalued staff
I was a Bingo Hall Manager
Manager - Bingo (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CADecember 9, 2015
I loved my job! We ran bingo 2 nights per week in the local Boys & Girls club facility.

I had 6 volunteers working with me.

Unfortunately, the Boys & Girls organization decided to stop running the bingo program so I was no longer needed.
Pros
Doing something I loved to do
Teen Staff
Teen Staff (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 9, 2015
i love this job love my coworkers love working with kids,i have 2 of my own.job wasn't hard at all,my part was to help kids with their homework out doors filed trips,parks
Pros
we had free lunch
Cons
they cared about our health
There was always something to do even when you weren't coaching
Coach little brother's basketball team (Current Employee) –  Massillon, OHDecember 9, 2015
I coached my little brothers team through elementary, was a good experience for coaching and taking charge. Was a good thing to do right before going to college and I have no regret on doing it.
Fun, exciting, environment with different opportunities at life
Development Youth Leader (Current Employee) –  Smyrna, TNDecember 5, 2015
The day starts to make sure paper work is done for plugging children that was present at the club day before in a computer system. Meetings always happen between the staff and directors to start the day off, making sure everyone is on the same page and leading the day off with a positive vibe. The meetings also include different task that need to be completed for the day. Children are then transferred to the facility by buses and by different staff who walks to their schools. Snack is provided, homework assistance, different classes of learning science, fine arts, and how use the computer are provided. Well as a fun environment of a game room and gym is provided! The staff are filled with joy, happiness, and a willing to succeed, and provide the best help to the children. The most difficult part about the job is giving all of your energy all week into the children. Sometimes it can wear you down but you have to keep pushing for them. Another part is dealing with children that have problems listening and following direction on a constant basis. When a child says you make my day, or says to you that you are their favorite is the most enjoyable part of the job. When you know that you have gave out the most positive look for the children that are looking up to is the most enjoyable part of the job!
Pros
Communication Skills will be better, flexible hours, understanding directors, fun environment, paid dinner and paid snack for the children, enjoyable music
Cons
Non profit organization, no benefits
High energy and an amazing program to be a part of.
Program Aid (Former Employee) –  Conway, ARDecember 3, 2015
Amazing work place to mentor children and help them develop the skills needed for life. While providing relief for their parents, the kids have an amazing time playing games, interacting with other children and doing different activities each day.
Fun and creative place to be
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 3, 2015
Every day I had a different task to do which was good because i wouldn't get bored of doing the same task. Not the usual things happening daily. My co-workers were pretty down to earth, helpful when it came to inquiries. The hardest part was to not to get attached to staff or kids. The enjoyable part was that they made me feel part of the team.
active environment
Program assistant as well as a counselor and tutor (Former Employee) –  Paterson, NJDecember 1, 2015
I really enjoyed my time at the boys & girls club, we built really nice relationships and got to interact with the staff as well as the children
it is a fun workplace for children
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Avondale, AZNovember 30, 2015
the experience that was there was alright it was not the best job that i had there they told me that they let me go because i kicked a piece of paper under the table which was not the truth
Fun work environment
Mentor (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, ALNovember 24, 2015
Fun work environment with valuable experience in cooperation. Everything here is a team effort. Under great management and supervision
Boys and Girls Club
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Dorchester, MANovember 19, 2015
It was a great job experience. I learned how to be patient and work with others. Also how to take care of little kids. I enjoyed seeing the kids happy and seeing them smile. Furthermore the hardest part was getting them to calm down and to stop fighting but they eventually got over it.
Fun workspace
Teen Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Newhall, CANovember 19, 2015
I worked for the Santa Clarita Boys and Girls Club for 10 years, in those years I was in various positions, within the club. As the office assistant, my typical day included: answering phones, receiving membership applications, giving tours of our facility, inputting membership data, taking photos and attaching them to individual membership cards, updating and creating excel spread sheets, filing, one on one talks with members, aged 7-17 and on occasion, staff supervision.
As the education coordinator, my typical day included, preparing my room for the days activities, such as setting up tables and chairs for homework hour, having the items ready for the daily activity, such as: math bingo, jeopardy, mancala and chess tournaments, interacting with a large group of children (on average, 95 per day), and end of day clean up.
As the teen coordinator, my typical day included: preparing the room for the days activities, driving the van routes to the elementary schools, supervising volunteers, having homework hour for the teens, and then having set activities for them, as well as free time, twice a week I held meeting with our leadership groups.
Very supportive management; however, a lot of office politics within the upper management, and board of directors. The most enjoyable part of the job was watching the kids grow everyday, not just in age, but in mentality and maturity. Also, I loved my co-workers, and still keep in touch with a few of them.
Pros
Making a differnce in the lives of youth, free snacks, lasting relationships
Cons
Office politics, growth is slow and short coming, most positions are part time, no health benefits for part time.

4.3