Boys & Girls Club Employee Reviews

Found 1,060 reviews matching the search
Great Organization, Bad Local Management
Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sherman, TXJune 28, 2014
The director of the Boys & Girls club location that I worked at has had the same Director and Manager for 9+ years. That would appear that the Club was ran well, unfortunately, there are more cons with the management than pros. The manager is very outspoken about her favorite employees, and completely disregards new employees or employees that do not "click" with her personality. This also leads to zero chances of promotion.

My coworkers were mostly the occasional high school senior, college students, and teachers/coaches from the local schools. The were mostly great to work with.

The hardest part of the job was definitely seeing situations of the low income children, and how their parents behaved. You just feel so bad for them, but there's nothing you can do except make their time away from their home life as enjoyable and fun as possible.

The best part of the job was working with the kids in general, and by working for a non-profit, knowing that your work in contributing to a great cause.
Pros
easy and flexible hours, fun enviornment
Cons
no benefits, low pay, constant nit-picking from management (depends on location)
I would get an activity together and try to mentor through that after they have relaxed and are having fun.
Student volunteer (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORJune 26, 2015
It was a great learning experience for me. I was able to get to know kids of a different generation and mentor them in a positive way. I learned how these kids are well aware of their surroundings and how adults try to manipulate them. It was quite interesting to observe the dynamics of these kids with some of the adults.
When I would arrive the first thing I would do would be to sign in and then get out the activities binder and decide which one to prepare for on the bases of how many kids I had. I would then gather them up and see how they respond to the activity. I would then let them dictate to a degree what they think of it, and if it did not work for them then we would try something different.
There was a lot of support from management, these individuals really care for these kids and work hard to show them a different way of life and the possibilities that are out there for them.
The hardest part of the job is when you see the psychological scars that are left on these kids that just want to be kids and not have the world tell them to grow up so fast.
The best part of the job is when you see them relax and have fun and genuinely smile without and defensiveness. That is a good day.
Cons
It cost me a lot in gas to travel back and forth from town to town.
New techniques for tutoring during power hour
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Rogersville, TNFebruary 19, 2014
I mostly work in tutoring children with their homework during power hour. My co-worker in this area was kind, and she taught me many new techniques in teaching mathematics to younger children. Like teaching the children to draw out the problem in line tables; to get a better understanding. The most difficult part of my job was getting the children that were not doing homework, or studying quietly to stop interrupting the other children. After power hour we have snack time, then would have social recognition. This included playing games such as ping pong, pool, and other games. Sometimes we would also do crafts, and if it was a nice day we go outside and play basketball. It was my duty to keep the children entertain, and find the child that was of most need of attention. Sometimes I find children that were upset, and didn't have anyone to play with. I would entertain and teach child how to find friends and deal with bullies by mentoring them. The last duty would be also mentoring the children the dangers of drugs, and how to make their communities better by being a help and a part of society.
Pros
free lunches & the feel of achievement when you make a difference with a child
Cons
short breaks, no pay or health benefits
Profound and learning experience at the boys and girls club
Teen Instructor (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 10, 2015
I work with the teens at the boys and girls club. I set up team strengthening activities for them to participate in and allow them to express their ideas and thoughts that they may have. I encourage them to consider what they want their future endeavors to be and give suggestions on things that they might be good at. I have learned that teens have individual needs and it varies greatly from one child to the next. Patience is an essential quality for any person working with children. They are constantly growing and developing. The management at the boys and girls club is quite exceptional. They treat their employees like family and everyone gets along very well. Management is always respectful and kind as well as my co-workers. The hardest part of the job is setting children to higher standards when they should also be expected to act as normal children do. It is challenging to distinguish when to allow them to enjoy life as children and when to encourage them to put away with childish things. The most enjoyable part of the job is connecting with the children in a way where they feel like they can trust me. Earning their trust and respect is greatly appreciated.
Productive and fun workplace
Program Aide, Group Work (Former Employee) –  Camden, NJAugust 2, 2013
At work we would clock in and go upstairs with the kids in the education area. In this area the kids completed their homework, and read books and remained quiet until everyone was finished. After that, All the kids were to line up at the coat room so they could put their things up before heading to the recreation areas. Soon as all their things are put up, they are allowed to go and participate in various activities such as Ping pong, Dance central, Flag football, checkers, and many more. The staff would have a specific area that they were assigned to to make sure all the kids are safe and following the rules. When it was time to go, the kids would go back to the coat room, line up quietly, get their things and go into the lounge and wait for their parents. I learned that you have to always be alert. I also learned that even if you are dealing with a negative person, you have to stay positive. It really wasn't a hard part at the job. Everything always went smoothly. The most enjoyable part about the job was interacting with the kids. They always put a smile on my face.
Pros
interacting with the kids
Cons
i liked everything about this job
love the kids, its fun but stressful with not enough staff
Program Aide (Former Employee) –  reno nvFebruary 17, 2015
gym or rec time in the morning then walked them to school. afternoon picked them up from school, took roll. gym time then homework, dinner, outside and finally our programmed group activities. end day cleaning up. I learned a lot about todays kids and what is life is like for them. our management was ok needed improvement but was understandable cause we were short staff. I loved my co workers we all got along well but I felt they could improve on some stuff as an employee. the hardest part about it was not having enough staff and or martials needed for the job. the most enjoyable part of the job was spending time with the kids and doing art projects. I really loved that job cause of the kids, no matter what it was that day they put a smile on face knowing they enjoyed my time as much I enjoyed theirs!!
Pros
free meals, field trips, physical activity
Cons
no breaks, no health benefits, not enough hours or pay for what we do.
A fun and learning place.
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Newburgh, NYAugust 31, 2012
I would go in and go to the cafe the kids would alredy be in there eating. I would make sure that they were all there and no one was missing. That everyone had their breakfast. I would warm the food up if needed too. Then I would to schedule out their day with games and times of when to go outside.

What I learned about working at the Boys and Girls Club was how to take care of others, How to make someones day just by talking to them or listening to them. How plan out their day and make sure that they get there on time.

My co-workers were great to be around. They would help me with my group and I would help them with their groups.

The hardest part was that there were time when the kids didnt listen or wouldnt listen. Then that make me run behind schedule. Or they would start to cry because they didnt want to do the activity.

The most enjoyable would have to be working with people everyday and talking to them. Making a child happy would make my day.
Pros
working with social people, getting to know new people, working with kids, being outdoors and indoors
Cons
we had to pay for lunch everyday
productive and fun work place with pool tables, a swimming pool, water park, and public library
Front Desk/ youth employment (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIJuly 22, 2014
a typical day at work is like any other I wake up head to work wait for the parents to drop them off and from there on the kids love giving me hugs and playing games they are always eager to help me do my work

what I learned is that kids are delicate and be emotionally intelligent at all times they are bundles of love and joy but also little stompers

my co-workers are pretty much in the same level of caring and compassion for the job as I am

the hardest part of my job is leaving I love my job and if I dint required sleep I could do it forever

the most enjoyable part id meeting new parents and kids and welcoming them into the club I think it is essential that everyone feels welcome at any place of business
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
there are some bad apples but where arent there any
A very energetic,fun and experiencing working with others
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 18, 2013
I sign in first and then help the children get started and seated,to do thier homework with them and every projects they need help with.I assist them with any other needs like the restroom breaks,drink breaks and helping them help make good choices.Once homework is completed,the children than can make choices like playing in the gym,games on the computers and other fun activities.Mean while iam learning new skills on the job and getting help with my own homework.I than learned basic skills for jobs,my careers and my life skills.The people there were very nice and they helped me with my volunteer work.The hardest thing that would say was,taking a break because i always kepted myself busy.I did really take long breaks because i love too be in the mix, but at the same time i liked to learn new skill and techniques.I enjoyed work with the youth to teach them new things too.
a productive and fun work place with a safe enviorment
Gym Assistant/Youth Counselor (Current Employee) –  Haverhill, MASeptember 28, 2015
As you walk up the front stairs and open the doors,right away you'll hear the sounds of kids running and laughing. The staff welcomes you to the club with open arms and promises a fun a safe environment. The club offers many activities for the kids such as the game room, the teen room, homework room, a gymnasium, computer room, dance room, and an arts & crafts room. The hardest part of the job is getting the kids to feel comfortable with you and being able to talk to them but with a good attitude and a smile on your face anything is possible. The most enjoyable part of the job is that every kid looks up to you as not only just a staff member but as a friend. The directors here at the club strongly favor promoting a fun work environment because they believe such environments offer
great benefits both to the individual and the organization. To them, fun working environments are here to stay.
Pros
Lunch served everyday, snacks as well, sports programs.
Cons
N/A
productive and fun work place with children
Junior Staff (Former Employee) –  INJanuary 15, 2015
A typical day at The Boys and Girls Club for work would began after I arrived from school. I would go to my assigned area and line all the children up for snack in the cafeteria. Before we all left to snack, I made sure the children cleaned up and put away their games and toys. I also take attendance. Once all the children are lined up, they eat snack and I play a game with them. After everyone eats their snack I take the children into their area to help them with their homework. Once each student finishes their homework they can either go the gym or the computer lab, which is where I fill in when needed. Around that time parents come to pick their children up. After all the children have left, I go around and lock up, clean up, and make sure things are in place. The hardest part about the job is just dealing with Children struggling to abide by the rules. For the most part, I loved the job, I love being around the kids, and my co-workers were very friendly.
Cons
few hours
Hands on atmosphere with kids, must be flexible, quick on your feet, and have a genuine love for kids!
Education Director (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DESeptember 19, 2012
A typical day at work consists of arriving to school site @ 6:30 am setting up games for the arrival of students. Within the next hour students are taken by age groups to the gym to become actively involved in a CATCH game. Students around 8:30 a.m are lined up and released to school. Education Directors then report to boys and girls club and begin lesson planning for the upcoming weeks. Once 3:00pm arrives Director return to site and set up snack,centers, and materials for lessons.

I've learned to really look at what students are interested in and alter my plans and strategies around these very things. Students become very involved when they have an interest.
Pros
field trips, full control of lesson plans/themes
Cons
no breaks during summer, and long hours during fieldtrip days, early mornings
Great personally satisfying work, where you can see your impact on lives.
Staff (Current Employee) –  Bay City, MINovember 13, 2013
I spend my day making sure that the members are entertained and have fun while making sure that the environment remains safe and friendly. I've learned to accept and adapt to the limitations of the setting and the clients, while still trying to press the boundaries of what can be done. My co-workers go out of their way to help the club members, and none of us are there for the pay or benefits. Those things only make our time and commitment possible. It is difficult to navigate the bureaucracy of the hierarchy and balance trying to use discipline and guidance with the club members.

My favorite part of my job is when the members tell me that I am their favorite staff member, or I am able to get to members from the verge of fighting to being friendly.
Pros
i feel like i am making a difference, great co-workers, being surrounded by people who care about their job.
Cons
low mobility, low pay, no benefits, part time
Fun place to work with games, basketball goals and pool tables.
Site Director (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXAugust 30, 2013
A typical day at work began in the morning for the Before School Program; Kids came in and we played table games and red books. The later half of the day was the After School program and during this time we did homework, exercise and played a lot of team games. During the time here I learned how to separate business from personal, how to audit ledgers and how to be diplomatic when trying to make points with children, staff and parents. My co-workers were great because they all brought something to the program; one co-worker was an aspiring musical artist, an athlete, another had a love of cars, one loved to step and dance and the other just had a way with the smaller kids. The hardest part about the job was forbidding a child from the program because a parent was unable to pay the fees. The most enjoyable part of the job was the everyday interaction with the children.
Pros
flexible schedules, fun.
Cons
part time only.
Great Staff and Environment
Program Aide (Former Employee) –  Spring Hill, FLSeptember 28, 2014
A typical day at work would involve facilitating programs with your 25 children, before and after school. I learned how to develop strong relationships, how to be a leader, and how to professionally communicate with others.

Management was was extremely friendly and helpful. They would politely tell you the things that you could do better and give you tips on how to improve that aspect of your responsibilities. They recognized you when you did an outstanding job. Co-workers were great people, some of which I am still friends with,

The hardest part of the job was that it could be overwhelming at times. Being responsible for 25 children at one time can be a handful. You had to be on your toes, and always watching everything that was going on.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to develop a relationship with the children. The kids look up to you and it is such an amazing feeling to know that you are truly impacting the lives of these children.
Pros
relationships with the children, friendly environment
Cons
split shifts
A very fun and productive environment
Junior Staff (Former Employee) –  Brighton, CODecember 29, 2015
When I was working at the Boys & Girls Club, I was usually working the front desk. I would check kids in and out of the system (facility) and I would verify the identification of the people who would pick up the members (kids). I would also be supervising the children within the "Game room" of the facility and clean up the facility regularly. Finally, I would take care of any other tasks asked of me by my supervisor. As I worked at the Boys & Girls Club, I learned how to patiently take care of tasks while taking care of and supervising members (kids) at the Boys & Girls Club within a reasonable time. Management within the facility was very professional and handled very well between the staff members. The people I worked with while I was at the Boys & Girls Club were very friendly and yet professional. They all took care of everything they needed to and taught me to do the same. The hardest part of the job was having to stop working there. I really enjoyed my time there professionally and personally. The most enjoyable time of the job was when I was able to work with the members of the club and speak with the parents of upcoming programs and events.
Pros
Free meals, fun environment
Cons
having to deal with angry parents, and/or members
Great experiences
Secretary/ Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 14, 2015
Great job to work with people from all walks of life. Learned a lot of communication skills and customer service skills from this company. Was a front desk/ receptionist but was given the opportunities to volunteer on trips, event coordinate and tutor students K-6. Gave me a great perspective on being able to teach experiences and different opportunities to those less knowledgeable. Half of the taught experiences were through volunteers, so I got to learn new things as well. Unfortunately during the time that I was working for the club, I was in high school, so I had to focus my time towards studies. Also new management was instilled and unfortunately there was no positive things to come from it as the environment of the company lacked structure and the boss was unable to implement it. Things probably would have ran much smoother if it was left to be managed by someone with more experience.
Pros
fun environment, great people
Cons
structure
Hired as a Intern
Health Educator (Intern) (Former Employee) –  Southern CaliforniaMarch 11, 2014
I was hired as an college Intern for a Boys & Girls Club location in Southern California. I was to assist in teaching a new health & wellness program to 8-12 year old children. When I showed up at my site:
Nobody knew who I was or why I was there
None of the tools that I needed where available or ever provided to me.
Nobody knew anything about the program I was supposed to teach.
I did not have a preceptor, which is the main point of a internship.
I ended up playing with the kids and helping with homework for my stent with them.

I was most bothered by some of the counselors competing to see who was most liked by the kids as well as ignoring obvious bullying that was occurring among the kids.

I feel as though my Internship was wasted and that the Boys & Girls Club, either did not have a clear understanding of what an internship is or has a lack of organization within it's hiring and management.
Pros
rewarding to work with children
Cons
lack of management, and misleading job hiring practices.
Productive and fun work place. Great staff and students! Awesome experience.
Activity Leader-After School Program (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJuly 21, 2015
a typical day at the Boys and girls club would start by prepping activities planned in advance for that particular day. Activities would include but not be limited to; indoor/outdoor games, art and music. All planned activities would be fun, safe, exciting and incorporate education. staff to student ratio would usually be 20-1 so it is very important to keep students engaged and have time fillers to keep activities flowing and transition form one activity to the next. Power hour is used as homework time, students are encouraged to complete homework assignments during this time and can get help if needed. Maintain a good rapport with staff, students and parents and ensure safety of all participating in activities.
Pros
work hands on with children, and along side awesome staff.
Cons
only part ime, not garunteed a summer position.
The job is fun, educational, and rewarding.
Activity Leader (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJuly 26, 2014
A typical day at work begins right after day school ends I greet the students and take them for a snack. The next hour and a half are spent in the classroom. Since they have already been class all day I have to keep them interested and manage their behavior. My co-workers are a great team of people. We are very supportive of each other. We share information and help each other come up with lesson plans that will be fun for all. The hardest part of the job is time management. There is so much to do in so little time. I use the alarms of my cell phone to keep me on track and the students respond well to it also. The most enjoyable part of my job is what I learn from the students. I also really enjoy working with the group of people that are my co-workers.
Pros
we have the same schedule as the school district.
Cons
only part-time, no benefits

4.3