Boys & Girls Club

Boys & Girls Club Employer Reviews

Great Organization, Bad Local Management
Office Coordinator (Former Employee), Sherman, TXJune 28, 2014
Pros: easy and flexible hours, fun enviornment
Cons: no benefits, low pay, constant nit-picking from management (depends on location)
The director of the Boys & Girls club location that I worked at has had the same Director and Manager for 9+ years. That would appear that the Club was ran well, unfortunately, there are more cons with the management than pros. The manager is very outspoken about her favorite employees, and completely disregards new employees or employees that do not – more... "click" with her personality. This also leads to zero chances of promotion.

My coworkers were mostly the occasional high school senior, college students, and teachers/coaches from the local schools. The were mostly great to work with.

The hardest part of the job was definitely seeing situations of the low income children, and how their parents behaved. You just feel so bad for them, but there's nothing you can do except make their time away from their home life as enjoyable and fun as possible.

The best part of the job was working with the kids in general, and by working for a non-profit, knowing that your work in contributing to a great cause. – less
Productive and fun work environment
Youth Development Professional (Current Employee), East Chicago, INJune 27, 2014
Pros: building relationships with children, staff and community, changing lives, making a difference
Cons: short work days
A typical work day at the Boys and Girls Club can vary depending on the events planned, the programs being ran, and the age group I work with. Some days I go into work and do strictly programming. On these days I run Health/Life Skill, Education/Career Development, and Character/Leadership programs for children of ages 6-18. Other days I go to work – more... I am on the floor doing recreational programming. On these days I plan activities and games for the children including on the spot fun, arts and crafts, and fitness challenges. While completing the duties as a youth development professional, I also hold the responsibility of supervising our Jr.Staff and Volunteers. I complete their work schedules and plan events for them such as community service projects, club service projects and fundraisers.

I work with a diverse group of people who are all working to provide our children with positive relationships and encouragement to work on weak areas in their lives along with praising them for effort, good conduct and achievement.

The most difficult part of my job at the Boys and Girls Club is knowing that as a single person I cannot change and reach every child that comes through our doors. I have a passion to help the youth and it is difficult seeing the children who grow up in the same low poverty community as myself struggle with day to day life.

The most rewarding part of my job are the relationships I get to build with these youth. It is rewarding to know that so many of them trust me with their personal information, their dreams and goals and even their failures. Knowing I can be depended on by them makes my rough days at work worth it. – less
This iis an afterschool program I was a volunteer
ACTIVITIES / VOLUNTEER WORK (Former Employee), Porterville, CAJune 25, 2014
Helping the kids with their homework was fun. I also liked organizing the supplies area.
Productive and fun
Communications Intern (Former Employee), Burlington, NCJune 18, 2014
Great people and great kids
Helped the kids with homework
Great staff team
Great Place to work
SPORTS COORDINATOR AND ACADEMIC SUPERVISOR (Former Employee), Headland, AlabamaJune 18, 2014
Pros: seeing the change you made in a child's life
Cons: no benefits.
It was an amazing place to work.. It was a blessing to work with various types of children. Management was good, co-workers were amazing. The hardest part of the job would be to hold your tongue, then having to disciple the child. I enjoyed helping children to strive and learn more in school. To be successful in their academic studies, as well as their – more... lives. Also, I enjoyed planning and playing sports to keep them physically active. – less
Volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee), Orlando, FLJune 18, 2014
Pros: good management
-Good management
-Learn more working with kids
-I help volunteer
Great for college Job
Tutor (Former Employee), Logan, UTJune 17, 2014
Pros: workig closely with a large range of ages
Cons: not many full time possitions avalible, little room for advancements
I really liked working for boys and Girls club, the other workers are usually so friendly and the kids just make the time fly by. I loved that I was able to work with not only elementary aged children but also teenagers that happened to be in the foster system. I loved planing the activities and having fun with the kids.
Volunteer position only
Children's monitor (Former Employee), Bethalto, ILJune 16, 2014
Fun position playing and monitoring children while they play.
Children
Software Training Specialist (Former Employee), Bronx, NYJune 10, 2014
Working in this Boys and Girls club while attending school showed me how to balance work and school. I was also able to have the honor of woking closely with the Director and other management staff to explore mycreativity in helping the children.
Rewarding environment
Program Support Staff (Current Employee), Providence, RIJune 8, 2014
Pros: activities, co-workers and communication
Cons: work load, compensation and full-time opportunity
Love the youth and environment. If you want rewards from your job this is a great place to do so.
FUn place to work to interact with kids
Tennis Instructor (Former Employee), Berkeley, CAJune 4, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: not enough hours
teaching children how to play tennis, fun interaction with kids
Fun workplace
Counselor (Former Employee), Venice, FLJune 4, 2014
Co-workers, management, and staff are all lovely people who are there for the kids and to make them have fun. It was a very enjoyable place to work.
After school help
Special Project Coordinator (Current Employee), Cape Girardeau, MOJune 3, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: no healthcare
I would help the children with homework. I loved working with the children.
Great job
Activity Assistant (Former Employee), Fremont, NCMay 31, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
Enjoyed planning activities for the youth
Assisted with tutoring on a daily basis
Assisted the Unit Director with paper work when needed
A great place for kids to hang out after school
Volunteer (Current Employee), Pollock Pines, CAMay 29, 2014
Pros: i knew all of the staff and how the club was run.
Cons: not havng a schedule that would allow me to work at the club.
I attended the Boys & Girls Club since 2006 until I graduated 8th grade. Since then I have always enjoyed going back to volunteer. I believe that is where I learned patience. I have known the workers there since I was little. My Mom is the Unit Director and that has given me the opportunity to see the whole operation. I love working with kids and the – more... club gives me that opportunity. – less
Youth Centered organization
Character & Leadership Director (Former Employee), Conyers, GAMay 24, 2014
Pros: working with young people, their parents, and the community
Cons: working in an environment where commitments had to be completed at home, 12 hour days was normal, and lunch was frowned upon.
As the Character & Leadership Director, I was required to lead Teen Participants in programs and activities that assisted in building character and identifying future leaders. I enjoyed working with the participants and their parents. In, addition, I was the advisor for the Parents Association and worked with participants ages 6-12 through various leadership – more... initiatives and volunteer opportunities.. – less
Fun, Productive workplace
Program specialist (Former Employee), Tampa,FLMay 16, 2014
Pros: long lunches, field trips
Cons: salary
This is a wonderful company to work for. The children are amazing, the staff is amazing, the ultimate goal is amazing, simply to change and enrich the lives of the neighborhood children. I've learned so much while working with the Boys&Girls Clubs of Tampa Bay, I've also taught the same things that I've learned as well. Respect will get you very far, – more... embrace your personal uniqueness and creativity, education is the pathway to a better life, opportunity is available for all and its all about how you take advantage of it. My co-workers have always been a pleasure to work with and my management has always been a pleasure to work for. The hardest part of the job would be not being able to get to know every single child. The most enjoyable part of the job has to be having the satisfaction of knowing that you have been a blessing in someone's life. – less
fun place to work
Art Instructor (Former Employee), Homer, LAMay 14, 2014
instructed a art class for ages 5-18, assigned art and craft projects for the summer..............................................................................
Fun atmosphere
Counselor (Former Employee), Pacoima, CAMay 11, 2014
I liked the opportunity of working with kids to make their day fun and happy.
Fun work place Great Enviroment
Receptionist (Current Employee), Delray Beach, FLMay 8, 2014
Pros: great employees great enivroment
Cons: health care, pay checks
Great place to work employees and children are amazing. Great environment parents are incredible very helping and engaging.

About Boys & Girls Club

There's no secret handshake -- or specific gender -- required to get into this club, only the desire to have fun. The Boys & Girls – Read more

Boys & Girls Club Photos