Boys & Girls Club Employee Reviews

Found 1,060 reviews matching the search
positive environment
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Columbia, PANovember 19, 2015
The kids really enjoy being there and are usually very positive and easy to work with. The staff is easy to get along with, and being a volunteer, I chose when I wanted to come in.
A lot of fun and awesome co-workers.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CANovember 19, 2015
Very friendly kids and a lovely staff who love what they do. Mostly just helping kids with school work and watching them outside.
Fun workplace and good energy
Unit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Weslaco, TXNovember 19, 2015
Fun work environment. Freedom to create your own agenda to do everyday with the children. Decent amount of red tape a but that is expected when you're working with kids.
Pros
Working with kids
Cons
Only 3hour a day shifts not including weekends
Fun work place
Life Skills Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Canoga Park, CANovember 15, 2015
Meet with student leaders, plan life skills events, and manage game room. I learned how to create student leaders and gained understanding of what high school students need when it comes to building life skills. Management was amazing as well as my co-workers. There was no hard part to the job and the most enjoyable part was being with students.
Pros
Trips to different Athletic events
Cons
non
Awesome work place!
Recreational Leader (Former Employee) –  Weslaco, TXNovember 10, 2015
A typical day at work was always fun! I learned how to discipline and be firm with the students. While working there the management always strived to do their best. My co-workers were very supportive and always willing to lend a helping hand. The hardest part of the job was in the beginning, when I was afraid to be firm with the students because I wasn't sure how to do so. Once I quickly learned it became simple. The most enjoyable part of the job would have been being able to associate with the children. I enjoy teaching the students new things and how teamwork is very important.
Pros
Working with kids
Cons
No advancement
Profound and learning experience at the boys and girls club
Teen Instructor (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 10, 2015
I work with the teens at the boys and girls club. I set up team strengthening activities for them to participate in and allow them to express their ideas and thoughts that they may have. I encourage them to consider what they want their future endeavors to be and give suggestions on things that they might be good at. I have learned that teens have individual needs and it varies greatly from one child to the next. Patience is an essential quality for any person working with children. They are constantly growing and developing. The management at the boys and girls club is quite exceptional. They treat their employees like family and everyone gets along very well. Management is always respectful and kind as well as my co-workers. The hardest part of the job is setting children to higher standards when they should also be expected to act as normal children do. It is challenging to distinguish when to allow them to enjoy life as children and when to encourage them to put away with childish things. The most enjoyable part of the job is connecting with the children in a way where they feel like they can trust me. Earning their trust and respect is greatly appreciated.
Productive and entertaining yet positive work enviroment
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Duluth, GANovember 5, 2015
Excellent place to work, The employees are self motivated, with personalized goals to reach with the members. Rapports being built with the kids is also a successful tool being used to make a difference. And that is something that you can learn to do working for this organization.
Productive enviroment to work in
Boys and Girls Club Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Providence, RINovember 2, 2015
Been apart of the boys and girls club since I was 8, being a volunteer is the greatest achievement so far. Hopefully I can work there in future reference. Also the children are amazing so many different personalities but they have their days when they are rude
Program Director (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 2, 2015
Although I've worked here for several years I am here solely to work with the at risk youth that we serve daily. The management over the years has not taken the opportunity to truly take care and honor there employees when great work is being done. They do not allow for creativity and innovation that can enhance the services of the Club. They do not supply adequate resources for youth workers to implement their day to day activities on a consistent basis.

Though there are great challenges the new management has improved the quality of the facilities and expanded their presents within Philadelphia.
Pros
Facilities are being improved
Cons
lack of supplies and equipment, lack of staff training
Fun place to work
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAOctober 27, 2015
Working with the kid daily is so much fun watching them run around and interact with each other and supervising them playing the different games and activities was fun.
Pros
Flexibility/hours
Cons
Open office space.
No long-term vision
Program Aide (Current Employee) –  VAOctober 24, 2015
The organization lack leadership and communication to plan for long-term vision and mission.

Need to hire more people who understand the process of youth development.
Fun experience
Volinteer (Former Employee) –  Chester, PAOctober 21, 2015
Only volunteer here for a day. I walked around help kids with homework and played games with them. Fun place. A lot of interesting kids.
Pros
Games
Administrative Assistant-Work (Former Employee) –  columbus ohioOctober 20, 2015
This is by far the best job I ever had because, I was able to interact with children and use my creativity skills to help with upcoming projects.
Pros
playing with the children
Cons
not good pay
productive, loving, and fun work place
Youth Counselor (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, DEOctober 19, 2015
I love my job and the wonderful kids I get to care for! Its a good starting place for young people that are looking to get experience working with kids and that are also trying to pursue their college education at the same time.
Cons
I just wish the boys & girls club offered more pay and benefits for the job that the employees do.
Great first time job for a teenager to earn work experience
Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Salem, OROctober 19, 2015
The work environment was great, and making sure the kids had something fun to do every day made my job a great experience.
Work Study Position
Intern (Former Employee) –  Knoxville TnOctober 14, 2015
This was a good job for work experience as a work study. I reviewed applications for incoming children, scanned them into the computer and renamed the files.
Loved this job, just not many hours.
Lead Teacher for K - 1st Grade Students (Former Employee) –  Sanville, VAOctober 14, 2015
I was the Lead Teacher for Kindergarten and First Grade Students. I watched kindergarten and first grade students after school at Sanville Elementary School through the Boys and Girls Club. I gave each child a snack when they would arrive. After finishing snack time, I would help the children with any homework or school work they may be having trouble with. After finishing homework, we would play games in the gym of the school or go outside and play until parents arrived.
Pros
Working with children.
Cons
Seeing parents that did not care about their children.
Great opportunity to work with children and parents and ability to change and impact hundreds of lives.
Counselors lead and work (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 13, 2015
Awesome opportunity to give back and help develop character and strength in our future leaders. The club is set up to help provide a positive experience for members 6-18. As staff you get to shape and pour into children who may not have a lot of positive environments at the time. A lot is asked of you but you get to be creative and have fun while loving on some "lovable" kids too !!! Impacting lives for the better ev…
Pros
Seeing that you actually made a difference in someone's life.
Cons
The struggle to get the child to open up to you
Interesting Enviroment
Education Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNOctober 13, 2015
My colleagues were smart and dedicated, which created an exciting and competitive environment, challenging all of us to excel on our respective assignments.
Pros
Long Hours
Cons
Compensation and Health Insurance
great schedule
Activity Leader (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAOctober 12, 2015
I work at a school for the after school program have a class about 20 students, my supervisor is very helpful as well as my co-workers. the most enjoyable part of my day is seeing my students.

4.3