Boys & Girls Club Employee Reviews

Found 1,060 reviews matching the search
Fun work place, good environment
Camp Counselor (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Atlantic City, NJMarch 20, 2013
A typical day at work was taking the kids to the gym for sports activity. Then go to the gaming area. Following that would be lunch and finally nap time. On Friday we would take the kids on many trips. For example the aquarium, beach clean up, swimming at the Atlantic CIty High School, to a farm where we pick our own vegetables and fruits, etc. My co-workers where and i got along great we understood and fulfilled every task that was given to us. We as a team and we were all on the same page. The hardest part of the job was to discipline the campers. The most enjoyable part of the job was building new friendships. Along with that having great memories.
Pros
helping the community and children
Cons
heat
A place of growth for both children and teens .
Cashier/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Fort Pierce FlApril 19, 2015
While working in a building filled with mixed aged group children and teenagers, I learned to have fun and always help the children learn new things when it came down to homework and how to develop social skills when they grow older. I worked in the store and also the homework room. The hardest part of the job I must say, was trying to keep the building clean and calm. Other workers at the job were very fun and compatible. I enjoyed being around my peers and helping them learn more than just who they are, but who or what they can be.
Pros
I recieved free lunch, pay -of course, and I had fun.
Cons
The kids were pretty hyper at times and sometimes dificult to manage.
Great work environment with great children and good co-workers
Staff/Team (Former Employee) –  Hueytown, ALJanuary 20, 2015
My day at the Boys and Girls Club consisted of just learning about the children and building a relationship with them and just hanging out with them. I would make sure they were having fun and making sure they were doing what they were suppose to be doing. My managers and co-workers were the best they taught me how to work with the children better and I could go to them with questions I had. The hardest part about my job was sitting the children out I hated that because I like to see them having fun and not getting in trouble, but I also knew it was part of the job. My favorite thing about the job was coming in everyday and the children running up to me, excited to see me everyday and if I missed a day they would ask where I was and why I didn't come in. This job has been my favorite because I got to watch children and help them daily.
Pros
being with the kids
Fun and productive with several different mentalities
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Bern, NCAugust 27, 2014
I loved working at the boys and girls club.. It gave me time to get to know several different generations of kids. A typlical day at work would be helping the kids with their school work when they got out of school. Tutoring the kids in areas that they needed assistance with. When school is not in session we would do activities with them everyday to keep the kids from going out and getting into trouble. My co-workers were amazing we all went in with the attentions to make changes in the children lifes. Alot of the kids that attented the boys and girls club was troubled children and children with only one parent. One thing I learned from this expereience is that just because they are kids doesnt mean they dont hurt on the inside..
Pros
bonding with the children
Cons
n/a
Educational work place with fun activities to participate in, and great co-workers.
Staff (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJune 27, 2013
Get to work and help serve the children breakfast, after they are done eating breakfast they go to the gym and burn some energy until all my co-workers arrive, once they arrive we break into groups there are five they are broken up by age. Then you get assigned a room you take the kids in there and create activities for the children. we also have to ensure they participate we don't want them to not feel comfortable around the other children then we rotate and go to different area and do it over and over again until the day is over. In between all that we do feed them lunch and a snack.
Pros
fun, great people who work there, and understanding boss.
Cons
no medical benifits, none profit so hard to make money to get games so the kids can have fun.
Great Place to work
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Alamosa, COJune 7, 2012
The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to work with the youth. Anything from talking to them about problems at home to working with them with their homework was always a pleasure. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the parents, and managing the different personalities of my staff members. My typical day at work includes meetings with the executive director about anything from upcoming and events and training's to how we are doing as a staff. The biggest thing I have learned from working with the club is communication is the key to anything that one would want and or consider to be a success. Without communication at the club we would be in confusion about what is supposed to be going on during the day. I could not have asked for better co-workers. They are up-beat and passionate about the job just like I am.
a fun productive place to have children
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, CADecember 30, 2013
i supervise 20 to 25 kids a day and make sure they have a safe environment. run programs and activities such as sports,arts and crafts, cooking class,dance,exercise,and many other programs that they enjoy. i have learned to enjoy having fun as i am working, such as i have learned that kids are very fun to be around. i enjoy working with them. the management is always helping get everything on task and they always support the workers to do there best to become successful in the job. the hardest part of my job would be to stop working with kids because i really enjoy working with them, i don't think i would be able to be away from kids for a long time. i enjoy being around people and enjoy working. i also enjoy helping others and being the best i can be.
Pros
free snacks for the children, get to play with them as they play sports, able to help them with what they need.
Cons
having to leave work
Overall, working as an art teach for the Boys' and Girls' Club Fondation has been a pleasure.
Art teacher/ active staff member (Current Employee) –  Jesup,GAOctober 1, 2013
Working with children has always been my calling. With this beig said, once I began working fo he Boys' and Girls' Club of the Altamaha area, I was very enthusiastic. It was very delightful being a roe model/ metor for the youth. It was very inspirational having a hand in molding the future generation. Seeing the hunger for knowlege in these children's eyes only pushed me forward to do better for myself to show them how it is so important to succeed.
Pros
helping students, molding the future america, and children's laughter would have to be the pros of this occupation.
Cons
unfortunaely, this particular establishment was not vbery organized. that wuld have to be my only con.
All in a Day
volunteer (Former Employee) –  Pomona, CADecember 6, 2012
This was acually a position I volunteered for so I did not get paid. I enjoyed working with the students. I helped them on an academic level, personal level, and had strong interactions with the students. I helped with home work, managed the students and also participated in extracurricular activities. The most important thing I learned is that no two students are alike and that most students are actually quite nice-some just need guidance. In terms of management, I think managing time and setting expectations receive good results. I had no problem with my co-workers, as most were volunteers as well. The hardest part of the job was making due with the limited amount of resources. The most enjoyable part was definitely the students/
Pros
students received snacks, students assisted with work, students were in a safe environment
Cons
no pay since i was a volunteer
fun and exciting workplace that inspires both specialists and children to work together to learn and grow.
Youth Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAJanuary 5, 2016
My time at the Boys and Girls Club has been one of my favorites. Aiding in the development of my students and watching them grow has been one of the most rewarding experiences. I feel as though my job was not simply to teach, but also to learn. My passion for working with children has always been present, but through this position I have been able to mold this passion into a skill. The skill set I have acquired through this position includes the ability to communicate with parents and teachers, maintain classroom management, create lesson plans, and find creative ways to make learning fun. I truly regard this position as one of the highlights of my career and personal growth.
Pros
flexibility with school schedule
Cons
lack of substitutes
Productive work place ping pong table.
Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIDecember 16, 2012
A typical day at work would be me hearing the kids laugh and hear them be so joyful. And also really connecting friendship with these kids I really enjoyed every moment I had with them. I learned a lot about kids and about how to discipline them. My manager is a really grateful woman shes such a great woman shes always happy always active. My Co-Workers were nice. Everyone was polite and intelligent and really focus on what they were doing. The hardest part of the Job was leaving the job.Leaving those sweet hearts I got attached to really disappointed me.The most enjoyable part of the job was taking those kids to field trips and pools. I loved working their.
Pros
free lunches and gifts
Cons
short brakes
Fun workplace
Front Desk Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bristol, TNSeptember 8, 2015
A typical day of work this summer started around 9 in the morning, I would come in and start taking attendance of the children that were already there. Throughout the day I would continue to put in attendance and also work on other documents. Management was okay, we lost one of our managers halfway through the summer but we made it. My coworkers got along very well even while under stress. The hardest part of the job was probably trying to find the kids at the end of the day to take them to their parents (the kids were in different age groups/rooms). The most enjoyable part about the job was working with the kids and being able to help them grow and learn.
Pros
Hour breaks
Cons
Health
Enjoyed the experience
Community Education Outreach Volunteer (Former Employee) –  401 Marina Blvd San Leandro, CA 94577April 9, 2013
Set up the homework center and help with afterschool homework, Plan for events with my supervisors.

I learned that every child's opinion is valuable and that I can help anyone in need regardless of their background or life circumstances. I also learned that the basic need of human beings are the same all over the world, and therefore everyone deserves to be treated with dignity and respect.

Management was also good to me.

I worked well with everyone despite our differences in culture and language.

The hardest part of the job is not having sponsors for our program.

The most enjoyable part is walking through the door and having a kid yell a big thank you to me for helping them do well in their school work...... that is empowerment.
Productive and fun workplace focused around caring for children.
Vista Member (Former Employee) –  Yorktown, VAMay 30, 2015
I was responsible for basic camp counselor duties such as manning the front desk periodically, keeping a watchful eye over groups at a time and making sure they stay on task with whichever group they were assigned to at the moment, distributing lunch and snacks, and also in charge of the education component of the program. My co-workers were nice for the most part and so was my site supervisor. He assisted me when I needed help and offered to write any letter of recommendation that I may need in the future.The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to interact with the children everyday and learning their different personalities.
Productive work place for kids with fun activities and good lessons
Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORDecember 18, 2014
Typically at work I would just immediately start preparing lunch for the kids, followed by helping serve it. After clean up we'd head outside for a while to play, and then come back inside for a few activities. I learned a lot about the way different children behave and the communication skills it takes to talk to each one differently. Management & my co-workers were wonderful, and always helpful. The hardest part of the job was choreographing a dance routine for the first grade girls, although that got easier, and the most enjoyable part would definitely be getting to know the children and learning how they work, grow, and learn.
fun work place with games ping pong, pool, gymnasium, art center, teen center
Youth Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 28, 2013
*work on kids homework, run programs with kids and group activities
* patients, communication, customer service, work with all diverse.
*the managers maid sure things were ran very smooth and also made sure all staff had lesson plans for the day to go well
* all co-workers got along and work well as a team in all activities and programs
*hardest part about the job is seeing the kids you grow a bond with go when they have to move or something
* the most enjoyable part is watching the kids learn and grow up into intelligent young people
Pros
snack, dinner, quit time, teamwork
Cons
short breaks, upset parents, naught kids
Productive workplace with fun things to do
PROGRAM ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Apopka, FLApril 22, 2013
Typical day at work is setting up the club for the kids and making sure that everything is planned out for the daily activities. I've learned how to be able to talk to all types of different children and how to conduct myself around different types of people. My supervisor is very nice, always respectable and takes good care of the staff. My co-workers are some of the coolest people I know. They help out a lot with the children and are very good with communication. The hardest part of the job is getting to know all the different personalities of the children. The most enjoyable part is knowing that I made an impact on those children's lives that I come across everyday.
Pros
impacting lives, great staff, fun summers
Cons
part-time, no benefits
A workplace that can always make me laugh
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Simi Valley, CASeptember 24, 2014
A day at the Boy's And Girl's Club would be a struggle, but enjoyable. Some of the hardest obstacles to overcome would be the kids that don't enjoy being there, so they don't listen when you are talking to them, or they talk back with attitude. The best thing to do in that situation would be to sit down with them and have a talk by themselves so they aren't influenced by their friends, and see what's going on. The most enjoyable part of my job would be the kids that always come in with a smile on their face, and are respectful and make me laugh. My co-workers are great. They are always around for a helping hand, and come together as a team when needed.
Pros
short hours, respect
Cons
attitudes from kids, short hours with low pay
The Boys and Girls Club is a very exciting place. The kids are amazing and so energetic! This Club has an excellent mission!
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Sandersville, GAAugust 7, 2013
A typical day at the Boys and Girls Club is assisting staff with various activities, such as: playing basketball, classroom work, and other exciting games and activities. Also, as a volunteer, it's my duty to set a good example for the kids by being a good role-model, and teach the kids the importance of respecting themselves and others. From the Boys and Girls Club, I've learned to enjoy the kids by having with them, but at the same time taking charge. The staff members at the Boys and Girls Club are really nice; they care about each child. As a volunteer, there aren't any hard parts of the job I can think of at this time.
Pros
spending time with loving and exciting children!
Cons
as a volunteer, they're aren't any cons i can think of at this time.
productive and fun work place
staff (Former Employee) –  Morristown, TNOctober 5, 2014
Greeting every kid when the step into the club house is something that bright their day, especially when the smile back at you.
being able to interact with kids from different background and still maintain a peaceful environments something a call a blessing.
Co-worker that act like brothers and sisters is definitely something I would never take for granted, and that helps me go through the day.
Having to maintain a gym full with approximately 100 kids can be stressful but when they love you and listen to you, it makes it easier to handle.
When a kid tell their parents about that cool guy at work and when you get invited to eat at their dinner table later on, is something call BLESSINGS

4.3