Boys & Girls Club Employee Reviews

Found 1,061 reviews matching the search
Outstanding programs and amazing production with children of all ages
Customer Service Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Hammond, IndianaJuly 2, 2014
The Boys and girls club was an amazing job experience. The staff were outgoing and very helpful. Supervisor Pedro Jones spends time helping you get to know everyone. The customer service job was easy to learn and the kids were respectful most of the time. The most difficult part of working there would probably be dealing with children that had a rough day, but they show so much respect for their elders so it wasn't too difficult after i sat them down and talked to them. The most enjoyable part of working there would definitely be the staff. i always enjoyed myself there and learned a lot of people skills from working with them.
Pros
free lunches and snacks
Cons
short breaks
Art teacher
Art teacher (Former Employee) –  warwick riSeptember 15, 2012
I loved this job. I got to see the kids grow and build a great relationship with them. Till this day i still talk to them,
What i learned from the kids was just to listen. Thats all they want.
I had one teen who had a behavioral problem. And told me he threw a desk at his teacher and asked me if i was scared. I told him no because that's your past and as long you dont do that to me then we have no problems. We became close friends. He would tell me his problems and i would help him.All he wanted was someone to care and listen.

Other then that my coworkers and i worked as a team, and still talk to them still today.
Pros
seeeing the diffrence you made in this kids lives.
Cons
there was none
Fun workplace
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Marion, INApril 20, 2012
* A typical day at work would be helping children with homework, daily activities, and being a mentor.
* What I learned while working at this job was to be more patient. No matter how young or old a person is, there is always somebody that can give advice to keep your head on straight.
* The club was managed very well.
* My co-workers are helpful. If one could not do something, then I would help out. Or if a co-worker was late to work I would help manage their part of the job until they arrived.
* This job was not hard at all.
* The most enjoyable part of this job was interacting with the children.
Pros
free lunch, got breaks
Cons
no benefits
very fun, exciting working withthe children and learning new things. also the working part was hard but enjoyable.
Volunteer work - Boys and girls club (Former Employee) –  Dover, DEMay 19, 2015
a typical day at work is fun, draining but you learn so many new things along with teaching the children. I also got to learn so much about children and how they react. the as a manger things as in cleaning, making sure everything and everyone is okay and in place. have to be in order and you answer a lot of questions throughout the day plus the paper work that's involved but I loved it the hardest part was leaving because the children and parents loved to come just to see a smile on their faces made my day.
Pros
lunch, communication skills, cleaning skills, teamwork
Cons
not many environment opportunites
Fun workplace
TEEN COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Marlin, TXFebruary 12, 2015
Working at the Boys and Girls Club was fun most of the time. Most of the kids were respectful and listened, which made the job easier and more fun. Had great coworkers and the boss was extremely considerate if an issue came up or we needed a day off. The most enjoyable part of the job would be arts and crafts with the kids. The hardest part was when there were children who did not want to follow instructions. I learned how to communicate with children of all ages, how to keep them interested, and how to manage a large group. The days seemed long but, they were always full of laughter and smiles.
Pros
good pay, flexible hours
Cons
no breaks, no benefits
School environment with fun and entertainment
Volunteer Work/Community Service (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 20, 2014
I would come in and help the students out with whatever activity they had scheduled for that day. I learned that helping others is one of the greatest satisfactions that I had ever had.I worked with all older co-workers so the students especially loved having someone with youth and that was hip to the things that they liked. There wasn't a hard part to the job, the most enjoyable part was when i would see they getting happy over regular thing that we take for granted like getting on the bus, and etc.
Pros
i got to experience the glee that overcame the students faces when i came in everyday
Cons
i didn't get to do it for more hours
Very Unproffessional
Program Instructor/ receptionist (Former Employee) –  Kingsville, TXSeptember 6, 2012
A typical Day at work was coming in serving breakfast to the children. afterwards we are suppose to be teaching the children different values and different things for school but we had no material to do so. My management was not professional at all they would make unprofessional comments to other workers would be very dramaful. the hardest part of the job was trying to not get emotionally involved with the children because after spending every day with them you start to love them and since it was only a summer job you dont want to have an attachment. The most enjoyable part of the job was coming out and seeing the progression the kids made by the end of the summer.
Pros
meeting new peoplee.
Cons
very unprofessional
Fun Working with Children
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLJuly 22, 2014
A typical day at work is cleaning the facility before the children arrive from the school, once they have come inside the building attendance is taken then they are able to eat their snack and they are able to go outside and play for an hour, then homework until they have to go home. I have learned how to thoroughly explain things to children, and having the patience for those who are acting out. The co workers were great everyone was able to get along well and when situations happened they were taken care of in the right way. Hardest part of the job was disciplining them and the most enjoyable part was being apart of the kids lives and making a difference.
Pros
working with kids
Productive and Fun work place with children from different background.
Athletic Operations Intern (Former Employee) –  Morristown, TNSeptember 25, 2015
A fun and positive place to work. You are pretty much thrown in with little introduction to how things are run and so it's a lot of learning on your feet with a large group of kids with many different ages and very different backgrounds. My management seems to really love kids and have passion for what they do, but getting to know them and connect with them in any capacity is extremely difficult so far. I love the vision and goals of the boys and girls club and look forward to partnering with them to support and encourage our future generations to both succeed and be responsible and respectful adults.
Area Manager
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Garden Grove, CAOctober 21, 2014
My typical day at work is to scan our members into our data base. Also maintain communication with other supervisor and mentor them. Then plan out the day, for my afterschool program. Once the bell rings, I have my staff set for the day and their schedules organized. I have my lead run programming. Then, I drive to other sites coach the site supervisors and observe their program. Then, I drive back to my school. Bond and talk with my members. Once it is sign out at 6pm I try to speak to all of our parents.

I love my job and what I do.

I also conduct trainings for the organization.
Help interview for new Youth Development Professionals
Attend Community of Practice Meeting and represent the organization
Speak to school Principals

The hardest part of my job are the hours I work
The enjoyment of working with kids from different cultures
Youth Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Marble Falls, TXMarch 7, 2014
The key to this position was to be an active listener. Similar to adults, children had bad days as well as good days also. Participating in the activities with the kids was fun and I really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, some of my coworkers didn't have the patience needed in some aspects of the job to be as effective as they needed to be to succeed in their positions. Seeing the potential, and talent in a child but not being successful in getting them to direct those good attributes to good things was disappointing.
Pros
the physical fitness with kids kept me fit.
Cons
having all staff members on the same page and treating each child the same.
Fun place to work.
Youth leader (Former Employee) –  Tahlequah, OKMarch 24, 2013
A typical day at boys and girls club would be Checking children in to ensure that everyone is accounted for, and helping them with homework and doing something productive to keep them entertained while learning at the same time. Management always got involved in the activities during the after school program. The hardest part of the job would be Checking students in and out in a reasonable time with as much organization as possible and little confusion. The best part of the job would have been the interaction between the students and youth leaders and knowing that you put a smile on a child's face and the parents were fully content with the care that their children were receiving.
Pros
college benefits.
Cons
little hours available.
Productive and fun environment to work in with a pool table .
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  N Las Vegas, NVOctober 14, 2012
Boys an Girls club was a fun and nice experinence . My days at work were amazing beause my future job is to work with kids , so i had a very nice experience . I worked with kids ages 5-13 years old , and the hardest part was conrtrolling the younger ones because there so gone off energy , so it was knd of hard to calm them . Me and my co-workers had been friends that knew eachother for quit some time , and i worked with an younger cousin of mine . The most enjoyable part of working at this job was the children , and being able to be around my co-workers because i am a people person , very joyful and fun to be around.
Pros
got to work with kids .
Cons
shortbreaks
First real experience with adversity
Mentor (Former Employee) –  Waverly, IAMarch 22, 2014
I enjoyed volunteering as a mentor at the Boys and Girls Club because I was able to work with younger children up to teenage years. I volunteered with a wide spectrum of things, from helping kids with their homework, to making crafts and increasing creativity, to playing basketball and jumping rope with the kids. I enjoyed learning about their home situations because it really gave me an understanding of who they were and where they had come from. The kids there provided for me just as much as I provided for them. A little girl made me a heart-felt bracelet with significant meaning and I will always keep it to remember my time and experiences spent with her! :)
Learning experience
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Dunkirk, NYJanuary 13, 2014
Going into the Boys and Girls Club and helping out volunteering a few days a week has really changed my outlook on life itself. In general, people tend to take basic daily activities for granted, and we never take the time to look at the things that we are lucky to have, and that not all are lucky or privileged enough to have. Volunteering made me appreciate all of my privileges and learn to not take so much for granted, and to learn the value of giving back to the community I grew up in. It was just enjoyable to spend time with other individuals who wanted to help out others, and to spend time with the innocent children who only want your attention and time.
Productive, supporting, organize
CLC Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 25, 2012
we start the work by signing in the kids, then they go to the lunch room for breskfest, then the go to the program they sign up for, at 12.00 we take them down for lunch. then we rotate the classes, then at 3.00 we wait till thier parents come and send them off.

i learned more about children and how they feel. communication skills

management was great supportive as well as co-workers. it was easy it went well. coming to work and knowing that i make a change in people lives.
Pros
fee lunch, games, field trips etc
Cons
didnt get paid everyweek or every two weeks we got paid at the end of the program.
The job that meant the most to me. Was hard though with family.
Office Manager/Community Events Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXApril 1, 2015
Working with at risk youth, making a difference. Provided support to the community as well as civic leaders. Gained experienced in multi-cultural environments. Our program served over 900+ youth from seven sites and I maintained those records with accuracy, thoroughness and confidentiality. Collaborated with local authorities on current gang activity, Organized summer job programs, annual health and employment fairs, Coordinated and represented members for special court docket.
Pros
Helping with others, working with other non-profits, making a difference
Cons
No job security in non-profit, split schedule was hard on family
Exciting and fun place to work
Student Mentor Intern (Former Employee) –  Crossett, ARJuly 30, 2013
A typical day of work at the Boys and Girls club consisted of creating various activities and games for children. The most important skill that I learned while working at the Boys and Girls Club was to be creative because the children's attention spans were so short and would usually be engaged with an activity a short period of time before being distracted. My boss was a very understanding and helpful man. I co-workers were also very helpful and assisted me whenever I needed help. The hardest part of the job was learning how to manage children in a open and active environment. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to interact and form relationships with my co-workers and the children.
Fun work place with a lot of activities to do while on the job
Youth Mentor (Former Employee) –  Val Verde, CAJanuary 16, 2013
.typical day at work was helping the kids with there homework and challenging them at pool or a ping pong match
.children are the future and its best to not let the school system educated on everything they need advice from real people
.co workers were fun and made everything worth stayig there
.hardest part was keeping up with the kids
.most enjoyable was the activites we did and the fun trips we would take the kids on
for example; dodger game, clippers game, magic mountain etc...
Pros
free lunches and close to home
Cons
short breaks and not alot of hours
Excitement Inside the Workplace
Child Monitor (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GAAugust 16, 2012
My typical day at work would include monitoring the younger kids, assisting with their homework assignments, and provide snacks. I learned how to have a great deal of patience, along with supervising smaller kids. Working with management was really exciting due to the knowledge and experience they gave while working with them. My other co-workers had a fun and bubbly personality that made the time go by really fast. The hardest part of the job was leaving everyone behind when it was time to go home. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to interact with the kids.
Pros
knowing that i was helping someone else brighten their future.
Cons
leaving my friends behind.

4.3