Boys & Girls Clubs of America Employee Reviews

fun work place
check-in monitor (Former Employee), Belle Glade, FLAugust 27, 2015
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
very understanding work hours with decent pay and a great opportunity to learn and get a feel for the real real great management typical day of work loud and fast movement with a lot of energy
A fun place to work at
Assistant (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAAugust 21, 2015
Pros: free luches and good company
Cons: health care and short breaks
It is a very safe place for children and teens. The people there are loving and supportive always. . It’s always there for you when needed and is a great working environment.
You can't do a job properly if you are not trained!
unit director (Former Employee), columbus gaAugust 16, 2015
Pros: Building relationships with the kids
Cons: lack of training, and everyone is out for self
It has the potential to be a great place but there is no real training offered. So if you have never worked for a Boys & Girls club don't expect anyone to tell you how things are suppose to go. There is no real help.
boys and girls club
Admin Assistant/Child care (Current Employee), Oakland, CAAugust 13, 2015
the boys and girls is really helpful if you are looking for working with kids it comes with a lot of excitement and different personality it also have it ups and downs and might be a struggle but u will get through them its really fun and it gives u a lot of experience and have different trips
Fun Fun Fun
Staff (Former Employee), Beverly Hills, FLAugust 13, 2015
Pros: So much fun
Cons: Kids are loud
Loved working with kids and playing games with them all day and its rewarding to be able to help them with homework and some personal problems. Being a big kid myself I think I had more fun than the kids did to be honest.
Fun Loving Child Focused Organization with a new drive toward digital
Sr. Designer (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAJuly 16, 2015
Creative and Digital Integration is a very open department with open dialogue and an open door environment. This makes work enjoyable, but sometimes intrusive.

In CDI, the hardest part is making the donors happy, by using certain images and content, while avoiding others. Sometimes donors require certain things that may not look great.

The best part is the driving of the brand. The organization – more... is brand focused and wants to make sure to reflect that in all of its art. Its something I will always remember even if I move on to another job.

The company is behind digitally, but new management seems to be trying to make everyone more accountable for their involvement in digital advancement. But since they are outsourcing a lot of it, and there currently isn't anyone in house doing digital strategy other than the VP, it makes it hard to be confident about the org's trust in employees' capabilities and potential. – less
Productive and Fun-Filled Work Environment
Youth Specialist (Former Employee), Johnson City, TNJuly 5, 2015
Pros: Great Work Hours and Fun Environment
Cons: Lack of Funding
My typical workday involved engaging in educational and fun-filled activities with children. I learned the art of creativity and organization. Our management team were equipped for the job task, helpful and full of wisdom and insight. My co-workers were full of laughter, lively and vibrant. The hardest part of the job was fundraising for the sustainability of the organization. The most enjoyable part of the job was the daily opportunity granted to impact the life of a child.
Great People
Project Coordinator (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAJune 30, 2015
You will build lifelong relationships with colleagues here. Management, however, is not the best. Opportunity for growth can be challenging.
Poor Senior Management
National Supply Service Coordinator (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAJune 24, 2015
Management doesn't care about their employees or rentition. Don't get use to seeing faces because they will gone in a short period of time.
Good job with good benefits and outcomes
Activity leader (Current Employee), Bakersfield, CAJune 18, 2015
Pros: raises
Cons: being a sub
The boys and girls club works well with anybody's schedule. This job teaches you how to manage kids and how to be a great leader for these kids. This job also offers trainings to create good activities and how to take control of your own class. This is a very good job if you want to work with kids.
Heavy volume of work with heavy political environment
Program Assistant - Permanent (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAFebruary 14, 2015
Pros: relaxed environment
Cons: heavy volume of work with high volume of required staff meetings
A typical day involves heavy volume of work with high volume of staff meetings. I've learned SharePoint software and increased my project management skills. Management is mostly high-level with few administrative level positions. Co-workers are friendly and helpful. The hardest part of the job is maintaining expert level of knowledge of over 50+ programs and balancing work responsibilities along with high volume of required staff meetings. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping disadvantaged youth across the nation.
Great
Regional Office Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 22, 2015
Boys and girls clubs was a great place to work until the new president took over and began to change the organization to please the donors and not stick to the mission
Somewhat disorganized, but passionate
Volunteer (Former Employee), Tampa, FLJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: helping children
Cons: some mildly troubling employees
As a volunteer I was treated with respect by both management and fellow employees.

Environment was fairly laid back, with moderate structure.

Some employee behavior was questionable and discouraged children to finish homework properly, favoring speed.
Awesome kids
Program Assistant, Program Specialist (Former Employee), Everett, MANovember 14, 2014
The children at the Boys and girls club are full of energy and are so much fun. It was great working there because you really felt that you were making a positive impact in their lives. Management was not great and there was very little appreciation for staff. Overall it was great experience and personal growth.
Great mission and wonderful committed employees. Benefits outweighed similar organizations.
Director, Compensation, Benefits, & HRIS (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAOctober 15, 2014
Pros: great organization; loved the progress we made
Cons: difficult for some employees to adapt to automated processes.
Enjoyed my job and had a chance to implement progressive automated processes. Compensation and Benefits programs were continuing to evolve and spent many hours validating the best processes and negotiations to keep the organization competitive and ensure compensation was inline for unique positions.

Enjoyed my staff and promoted opportunities for skill advancement.

Worked well with management at all levels. With so many initiatives, found myself with loads of work but I loved my amount of involvement. The most exciting part of the job was the implementation of the time and attendance system, compensation market pricing, and the performance management system.

I enjoyed bringing about change and the support I received from employees and co-workers. Didn't mind putting in extra hours.
A disorganized organization with a confused mission!
Site Director (Current Employee), King County, WAJuly 11, 2014
Pros: kids are always fun
Cons: confused upper management, lack of training (none), unsupportive and negative environment
Each area is it's own Metro, so it's important to know that some BGC Metros are great organizations. The King County Metro in the Seattle Area has some serious issues. They provide no consistent training, no support, no direction, essentially you are on your own to figure you how to do your job. People who have been with the organization and moved up through the ranks have a "good ol' boys club mentality". – more... The leadership in the Seattle affiliate is a team that will place blame, not take responsibility and rarely speak about the quality of programs for kids. And they can't wait to throw each other under the bus. This is probably the worst organization I've EVER worked for. What I learned there? Survival skills. The management? Unsupportive and nonchalant about serious issues. The Program Staff is awesome but they are mostly college students bidding their time until they get their "real job". The hardest part of the job was the lack of direction from the management - and any leadership provided was confused and unknowledgeable. The best part of this job is yet to be determined. Get a job offer from BGC of King County? Run! – less
Good cause to work for
Operations (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAMay 9, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: not a lot of advancement opportunities
Good organization if you are passionate about youth.
Environment is what you make of it.
It is a place where you have to have to consume the culture
Relaxed, but work focused atmosphere with time to engage in Youth Building activities when possible.
Payroll Accountant (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAMarch 26, 2014
Pros: benefits, flexible work time
Cons: not enought on the job training and promotion opportunities
Prepare: Journal Entries for Payroll, Salary reports or continue with reports not completed from previous day.
Time management, Team Building and cooperation has been my most rewarding experience.
Management style varied by department and individual, but mostly an open door policy where approaching managers with any situation is always welcome.
Some of the best co-workers I had the pleasure of working with.
Not being able to participate more in volunteer work for the Youth in the Clubs has been the most restraining as the need is so great.
Annual Employee Campaign Week, where employees voluntarily gives donation towards the Clubs funding. A week of activities where all staff give of their time and talent for the sole purpose of the Youth of America.
Great Non Profit to Work For
Director, Site Development, YNet (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAOctober 25, 2013
Great opportunity to work with a wide variety of people and interests. Never a dull day and you get the perk of helping children.
The Boys & Girls Club
Program Director (Former Employee), Detroit MichiganJuly 10, 2013
The Boys & Girls Clubs was a awesome place to work. The most enjoyable part of my job was playing a productive role in the lives of young people!