Boys & Girls Clubs of America Employee Reviews in United States

Found 2,118 reviews matching the search
new experience and first internship
AZ - Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZMay 2, 2016
was a TA to english language learning adults, graded homework, took attendance, helped teachers in which ever way possible, and helped students with any unanswered questions
A fun environment that allowed you to work with kids
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Stoneham, MAApril 29, 2016
Every week during the summer, I would work Monday through Friday from 8 to 4. The job required the counselors to provide a safe and fun environment for the children. We would set up games, projects, and activities in order to keep the kids entertained throughout the day. The management was always willing to help and advise the counselors when needed and the other counselors were very respectful and receptive towards each other. The hardest part of the job was enforcing structure and discipline towards the children that misbehaved. The most enjoyable part of the of job, however, was being able to interact with the kids and watch them have fun.
Pros
Set hours
Cons
Some children can be difficult to work with
Mentor (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLApril 29, 2016
Really enjoyed working there. Co-workers were nice and friendly. Like working with kids and being a mentor. Would recommend to others.
Working with children
Child Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Waterbury, CTApril 29, 2016
I enjoyed the work at the Boys and Girls club. What I learned is how to deal with children and what their needs are. The management are helpful. The best thing about the job is working with children.
Pros
working with children
Cons
loud noise
blah
Youth Development professional (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAApril 28, 2016
it was decent. The hours were chill and they hire alot of interesting people. Usually can get time off easily. Managers usually are easy to like.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
bad food
Fun place to work, and helpful staff
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAApril 27, 2016
On a typical day, I would come in the afternoon when school got out. After all the kids arrived, and were settled they got started on their homework and I would help anyone who needed it. Then it was snack time which I would also assist with, and then they were free to play games and do arts and crafts as I helped supervise them. I learned how to be patient with this job, and also how to help diffuse and solve arguments between people. My coworkers were great, and as they were all adults who worked there, they had more power and authority so I took most of my cues from them. The hardest part of working there was dealing with stubborn kids who did not want to listen, but I watched and listened to how the adults handled those situations, and I really enjoyed creating bonds with the kids especially when I helped them with their homework and helped them understand a difficult concept.
Pros
good snacks
Cons
no one there around my age
overall i enjoyed working with kids.
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAApril 25, 2016
Working here help me build a lot of patience but it was well worth it. sometime you have to put yourself in a child's shoe every once in a while and with doing that you have to be careful on how you deliver information or interact with a child.
Learning atmosphere, with a lot of energy from the kids!
Program Leader (Current Employee) –  Sheboygan, WIApril 25, 2016
Great system that protects kids and gets them the learning exposure that they need to succeed. Programs are very well thought out and catered to the youth and their surroundings.
Pros
Mentoring the local youth
Cons
Not having the resources to get more members
Boys and Girls Club
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLApril 24, 2016
Overall it is a fun experience especially if you enjoy helping kids reaching their highest potential! The workers are nice and the kids are good! definitely recommend working or volunteering for this organization.
Love working with the kids
Site Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Goshen, INApril 24, 2016
The club is a great place. It helps the community and the kids. For the most part the employees work together as a family. The hardest part of my job was learning you can't help them all.
Club/center for less fortunate kids
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 22, 2016
A typical day at the center included all of the responsibilities of being a staff member. I oversaw hundreds of kids, organized activities, and helped the front desk. I was able to strengthen my leadership skills and become a better leader. I knew that many of the kids looked up to me, so I had to lead by example and set a good example for them. May of the children came from troubled backgrounds and needed support. I was able to strengthen my communication skills by talking to hundreds of kids, parents, and co workers each day. The most enjoyable part of the job was making a difference and helping the kids have a more enjoyable life. The hardest part of the job was controlling hundreds of kids at one time, but I eventually learned how to manage.
Pros
experience and making a difference
Cons
no cons
Great Way to Shape the Future of America
Summer Program Staff (Former Employee) –  Black River Falls, WIApril 21, 2016
The Boys and Girls Club of America is an integral part of the future generations of our country. Most of the children who are members are from low income families. This job gives you the opportunities to give these children knowledge and tools they otherwise would not receive at home in order to better their lives. The most rewarding part of the job is becoming a friend or role model for the children you are mentoring. This really puts your own life into perspective, while never actually seeming like it is an actual job because everyday is enjoyable.
Boys and Girls Club is a positive environment to work for.
Program Specialist sub (Current Employee) –  Visalia, CAApril 20, 2016
A typical day is willing to take challenges. Willing to work as a team. Throughout the times working or volunteering at the Boys and Girls Club, I've seen nothing but positive influence in members lives. I seen the challenges and the willingness to learn in helping one another. Communication is the key to understand and acknowledge that we are a team and at any time one is free to address any concerns or awareness. It helps us to continue doing and enjoying our job better. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the growth of each individual succeed and grow.
Pros
making a differents
Cons
I'm in school so i'm only sub when I can
Fun Place to Work
Youth Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lodi, NJApril 18, 2016
Must have a desire to help kids grow and be better individuals. The work can be overwhelming but the kids make it worth it.
Pros
Good Teamwork environment
Cons
Part time
Boys and Girls Club of Greater Kingsport
Youth Development Professional (GYM) (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNApril 18, 2016
A typical day of work consists of my arriving at work around 2:30. I would then do bus runs to and from the different elementary and middle schools. Upon arriving back to the BGC after the last bus of children, I prepare my mind to prepare a game that will help the children either learn to think together as a team, think as an individual, boost their health through moving their bodies, and/or give them the opportunity to make REAL long lasting friendship. We provided dinner for the children (Breakfast lunch and snack in the Summer).
With me not having children of my own, I learned there is a bigger task at hand than just watching and monitoring children. I had to realize I was there to help children who need me the most reach their FULL potentional. We helped them look at life in a different light.
My management usually had a great, positive attitude. They helped me with the mental strain of the job and provided ALL the materials needed to do my job. All "problems" were usually handled in a professional way; not only professional, but a caring way.
I easily got along and felt I worked with my coworks. I take from my coworkers a greater learning of how to work with children, daily needed smiles, and a realization that there are actual good hearted people in this world.
The hardest part of the job is learning how to deal with other's children. Children at the BGC come from different cultures and ethnicity.
The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing I made a positive influence in my community.
Great For Career Development
Director of Human Resources (Corporate) (Current Employee) –  Seaside, CAApril 18, 2016
Great For Career Development if you mission driven. You really utilize all of your professional skills and knowledge. Hardest part of the job is there is not a lot of work & life balance.
Helping kids.
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZ 85283April 17, 2016
Drive to office and pick up work orders.
Be patient when you have 40 kids around you when you are trying to work.
Good management.
Fun co-workers.
Driving 500 miles a week around the valley.
Completion of work.
Pros
Help kids.
Cons
Too far away from home.
productive fun workplace
Bus Driver/Counselor/Activities Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicopee, MAApril 17, 2016
Taught me more about kids than ever and Igrew into a better human being when I realized I was a role model and what I meant to them. Drove kids back and forth from the facility to their schools and conducted activities with them before and after school.
Pros
constant movement, employees, always having fun
A great work experience
Student Aide (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 15, 2016
This program helped me understand the responsibility that is required to keep a job. This job taught me that helping your co workers will come about and that teamwork makes the dream work.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Heavy work load
Fun Experience
Youth Outreach Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Eagle Butte, SDApril 14, 2016
It was a lot of fun and a learning experience working with the youth and community. I was a part-time employee but I worked very hard and I learned a lot about time management and work ethic. My employers and fellow co-workers were helpful and encouraging.
Pros
Job experience
Cons
Limited budget

4.2