Boys & Girls Clubs of America

Boys & Girls Clubs of America Employer Reviews

Great mission and wonderful committed employees. Benefits outweighed similar organizations.
Director, Compensation, Benefits, & HRIS (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAOctober 15, 2014
Pros: great organization; loved the progress we made
Cons: difficult for some employees to adapt to automated processes.
Enjoyed my job and had a chance to implement progressive automated processes. Compensation and Benefits programs were continuing to evolve and spent many hours validating the best processes and negotiations to keep the organization competitive and ensure compensation was inline for unique positions.

Enjoyed my staff and promoted opportunities for skill – more... advancement.

Worked well with management at all levels. With so many initiatives, found myself with loads of work but I loved my amount of involvement. The most exciting part of the job was the implementation of the time and attendance system, compensation market pricing, and the performance management system.

I enjoyed bringing about change and the support I received from employees and co-workers. Didn't mind putting in extra hours. – less
A disorganized organization with a confused mission!
Site Director (Current Employee), King County, WAJuly 11, 2014
Pros: kids are always fun
Cons: confused upper management, lack of training (none), unsupportive and negative environment
Each area is it's own Metro, so it's important to know that some BGC Metros are great organizations. The King County Metro in the Seattle Area has some serious issues. They provide no consistent training, no support, no direction, essentially you are on your own to figure you how to do your job. People who have been with the organization and moved up – more... through the ranks have a "good ol' boys club mentality". The leadership in the Seattle affiliate is a team that will place blame, not take responsibility and rarely speak about the quality of programs for kids. And they can't wait to throw each other under the bus. This is probably the worst organization I've EVER worked for. What I learned there? Survival skills. The management? Unsupportive and nonchalant about serious issues. The Program Staff is awesome but they are mostly college students bidding their time until they get their "real job". The hardest part of the job was the lack of direction from the management - and any leadership provided was confused and unknowledgeable. The best part of this job is yet to be determined. Get a job offer from BGC of King County? Run! – less
Good cause to work for
Operations (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAMay 9, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: not a lot of advancement opportunities
Good organization if you are passionate about youth.
Environment is what you make of it.
It is a place where you have to have to consume the culture
Relaxed, but work focused atmosphere with time to engage in Youth Building activities when possible.
Payroll Accountant (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAMarch 26, 2014
Pros: benefits, flexible work time
Cons: not enought on the job training and promotion opportunities
Prepare: Journal Entries for Payroll, Salary reports or continue with reports not completed from previous day.
Time management, Team Building and cooperation has been my most rewarding experience.
Management style varied by department and individual, but mostly an open door policy where approaching managers with any situation is always welcome.
Some – more... of the best co-workers I had the pleasure of working with.
Not being able to participate more in volunteer work for the Youth in the Clubs has been the most restraining as the need is so great.
Annual Employee Campaign Week, where employees voluntarily gives donation towards the Clubs funding. A week of activities where all staff give of their time and talent for the sole purpose of the Youth of America. – less
Great Non Profit to Work For
Director, Site Development, YNet (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAOctober 25, 2013
Great opportunity to work with a wide variety of people and interests. Never a dull day and you get the perk of helping children.
The Boys & Girls Club
Program Director (Former Employee), Detroit MichiganJuly 10, 2013
The Boys & Girls Clubs was a awesome place to work. The most enjoyable part of my job was playing a productive role in the lives of young people!
Your on your own
Accounts Payable (Former Employee), BostonJuly 8, 2013
Pros: relaxed enough for flip flops
Cons: new additions tread lightly and be experienced
Worked in the Accounts Payable position for a stint. I had A/R experience but not A/P. I was told time and time again that I had a great teacher, but in the end I was never taught. The administrative personnel seemed nice but they are a family and I don't think they want any new additions. It is very uncomfortable walking in and saying good morning – more... to 5 or 6 people and only one respond. If applying for the A/P position you do need at least a years experience with purchase orders and bill paying because you will be on your own and not trained. – less
Great atmosphere and great mission
Regional Office Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 5, 2013
Pros: good organization with a great mission
A typical day at work consisted of lots of customer service calls and resolving challenges with parents and various club staff. Many days there were a considerable amount of hours spent troubleshooting computer and network issues. I had a great staff who didn't require much hands on management.
Great organization with youth always in mind
Regional Service Assistant (Current Employee), Long Beach, CAFebruary 28, 2013
A great organization that is not too big nor too small. Always willing to change for the better. Working to protect youth and better their futures is always a great job!
Very productive and great place to interact with different kids
Admin. Assistant/Computer Technology Director (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAAugust 6, 2012
Pros: working with the kids
Cons: was only part-time
I really enjoyed working with this company. It was only part-time and I didn't get any benefits and my salary wasn't the best, but I learned alot and got acquainted with some very kind and respectful kids.