Boys & Girls Clubs of America

Boys & Girls Clubs of America Employee Reviews

Found 3,215 reviews matching the search
okay place to work
Program Assistant/ secretary/ counselor (Former Employee) –  Easton, PAJanuary 13, 2017
Working at the Boys and girls of America was great opportunity to start working with kids. My typical day at work was answering phone calls, checking email, organizing paper work, signing kids in and out, contacting parents, and helping program directors. I have learned about the business of a non profit organization. Donors, arts and craft, sports, step, dance, teaching and counseling students. There was not really a manager, the Executive Director wanted the only power, and when he was not around, we either call him or the next person whose been there for a long time. Co- workers were great!! I got along with everyone and we were all ready to help one another if needed. The hardest part of the job was trying to do more and the Director wanted me to do less. The most enjoyable part of the job is hearing the kids say my name, playing in the game room with them, and teaching step,
Pros
experience/ free lunch/
Cons
short breaks, 2 15min/no benefits/ very low pay
Overworked & no work-life balance
Account Strategy & Development (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 10, 2016
BGCA has a reputation for no work/life balance and the work load is extreme. Management knows what work you have on your desk, and does nothing about it. Working on weekends, late nights, must get job done, whatever it takes. Resource development is a pressure cooker. Culture was never about the kids, only about the money raised. Positions are highly visible, and micro management is encouraged. Leadership turns their heads and does not address real problems; even though they know about them.
Fun work place
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 22, 2016
I enjoyed the work place very much, there is plenty of room for someone to advance. The pay is not all to great i got paid 15.00 and hour but they also came with my hours being cut which is why i left because they gave me a promotion with less hours. I did learn a lot such as management skills as a program coordinator. I just feel this place needs better management in the office my supervisor had no idea what was going on ever though I would send constant emails to her about my locations which was very frustrating.
Pros
fun place to work
Cons
better management needed
Great Environment, Horrible Management
Intern (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 8, 2016
came here as a kid and I loved it. I worked here specifically because of the emotional attachment I had to the place. It was fun working with kids, but not all the time. We were constantly understaffed and supervisors werent there most of the time, so it was hard at times not knowing what to do with so many kids. Overall it's a fun job if you like kids and helping them. But dont complain to management about your conerns, or else you will get fired
Pros
Working w/ kids
Cons
Understaffed, unorganized, horrible management
enjoys working with the kids
LCAP Aide (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJune 7, 2016
I learned the responsibility of supervision,as when /my supervision of after school activities.helping them with homework.management as I am responsible for safety duties.the management are courtios,advising me on career advancement oppurtunities.the hardest part of the job leaving the kids as it is summer,and I am off work during summer months.the most enjoyable part of the job is the aide/student intereaction the students refer to me as miss (my name)
Pros
rides to work from co workers
Cons
low hours which we're raised from 15 to 25 hours a week, then due to cutbacks back to 15 hours and no work in summer months
Fun and Rewarding
Individual Services Director of Stahl Teen Center (Current Employee) –  Nashua, NHSeptember 15, 2016
Boys & Girls Club provides a fulfilling environment where you can improve the lives of young people. Although the pay isn't great for the level of work required, the benefits are fantastic and it is a personally rewarding job. This company loves to grow from within, providing many advancement opportunities for those willing to put in the time
Pros
benefits, fun, creative job role, career advancement
Cons
requires afternoon and evening hours, stressful, no breaks
Creative Care For Children
Program Leader (Former Employee) –  Escondido, CASeptember 4, 2016
-Get to my classroom and prep the daily activity for my group
-Cross the street with a coworker, line up around 80 students for attendance, then efficiently walk in groups back to the club
-Check students in, line them up once more
-Walk them outside for an hour of playtime
-After play time I would gather around 300 kids from different schools and have them sit by grade line for a town hall meeting.
-Town hall meetings would entail that I would stand up in front of them, sing a song, discuss upcoming events, and then tell the students where they would be headed for the day
-I would then take 5th grade to my classroom for an hour of homework time where I would keep them quiet and tutor if needed.
-Then take the kids out to snack
-After snack I'd round up my group for the day and bring them back to my classroom where I would have an art activity set up for them.

The hardest part of my job was leaving. I got to know and love the kids, and when I left for a better opportunity my heart was broken.

The best part was getting to know the kids, and having fun art activities with them.
Pros
Leadership Experience, my own classroom
Cons
No breaks, No raises.
Productive and fun workplace
Youth Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Paterson, NJNovember 28, 2016
Fun and safe environment for members and workers
Art Program Leader (Former Employee) –  Sheboygan, WIJuly 24, 2016
Daily work is supervising the members with educational activities. The management can be stressful, but you don't deal with it too much. Otherwise this is a fun job and wish you could get more hours!
Pros
The kids!
Cons
No advancement opportunities or benefits (if part time)
Productive and growing work environment
Fine Arts Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Whittier, CASeptember 7, 2016
Working in this setting has allowed me to grow in terms or my group management skills with larger groups of kids. On a daily basis I am responsible for about 20 to 25 kids every hour from 3:00 to 6:00. I have been able to create different ways to engage them in ways that allow them to explore arts and discover new and interesting ideas.
Pros
members, staff/team
Cons
short breaks, compensation
Must Love Kids
Be Great Graduate Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 19, 2016
Working in the nonprofit arena is challenging but great work. It is difficult to balance personal life and work in this field. Compensation is milimal and difficult to support a family.
Pros
Positive impact, great kids, fun environment.
Cons
Long hours, consuming
Rewarding workplace
Director of Special Programs (Former Employee) –  Lorain County, OHDecember 29, 2016
This is truly an organization that looks to enrich the lives of the students and their families that it serves. I wore many hats for the organization, each one as rewarding as the next. I learned many things about grant writing, federal and state compliance, and budget development while employed with them. I found that many of my co-workers shared the same passion and desire to enrich the community as I do.

For the most part, hours spent at work fly by quickly. The hardest part of the job was topping the wonderful work that was being accomplished by the organization, The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that the work accomplished was appreciated by the children and families.
Pros
Feels like the work you do is appreciated by the community as a whole.
Cons
Gaining advancement within the administration of the organization is difficult
A fun place to be
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  TennesseeJanuary 4, 2017
I typically have up to sixty kids a day. I have to create exciting and educational programs for them to participate in all while keeping them safe. I've learned how to be an effective leader and how to have patience. My management was pretty awesome. I did not like all of my coworkers. Some people do not work at The Boys & Girls Club for the love of the kids. They work there because it's an easy job and it shows. Then there are excellent co workers! The hardest part of the job is running into children that you wish you could help but sometimes you just can't. The most enjoyable part is being able to interact and build with my children everyday.
Pros
the job works well with people who are in school.
Cons
you don't make enough for a living.
Not for new moms or newlyweds
Education Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXNovember 7, 2016
Will drain you! Was pregnant and physically drained having to stay late and always dealt with last minute things that came up or work always having to be redone after getting management approval. Love the kids but hate administration.
Pros
Working with kids
Cons
Work life and management
Productive & fun work envirnoment
Youth Development Counselor (Current Employee) –  Clifton, NJNovember 3, 2016
I have only been in this company for 2 years. I have experienced and learned a lot on the job. I have connected with many of the children, and continue to grow those relationships. I find the Boys & Girls Club a very warm, and safe environment for children. We help with homework, disciplinary issues, and ensure they succeed in their goals. I love being able to walk into the building, having the children greet me with hugs and endless stories. I have learned that children have vast personalities. Of which, we need to address. The hardest part of the job, personally, is seeing a child who receives little to no attention from home. I believe it is my job here, to create a "second home" for those children. I enjoy working here very much.
Pros
Flexible schedules, going on field trips, activities
Cons
Benefits for new employees
A giving work experience
Head Program Professional of Education Dept (Current Employee) –  Camden, NJNovember 18, 2016
I work for the Boys & Girls Club of Camden County. The Unit Director and the Youth Director have been very supportive in the programs I have implemented. I would like to see more support from the Executive director. However the love and appreciation I receive from the parents and members is enough to sustain me.

I work directly with the youth as it relates to their education. I train other employees on effective way to tutor and also introduce unorthodox ways to enrich their learning experience.
Pros
impacting the lives of our youth
Cons
dealing with convincing upper executives on new ways of doing things
Fun workplace
Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 10, 2016
Working at the Boys and Girls Club of Philadelphia is only a part-time job for me. If I were to consider making it my full-time job, I would have a hard time providing for myself. Being as though I am a full-time college student, I only work during holidays and winter and summer reccess. A typicl day at the job consist of snack, power hower (homework), and a physical activity. I learned how to handle children of different bckgrounds and different mental capacities. The Boys and Girls Club is a fun, face paced enviornment full of children. There is never a dull moment. I recommend the job for summer youth, college students, and people tying to get their foot in the door with early chilhood education.
Pros
childcare experience
Cons
short hours, no benefits
Enjoyed my time
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 18, 2016
Worked with the organization for a little over 1 year. Long hours due to clubs being open late and lots of weekend activity for families. So brace yourself to spend lots of time at the club.
Pros
Family environment
Cons
Salary
Good for picking up a few hours.
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Redmond, ORJuly 6, 2016
Management shake-ups are frequent, advancement is often nepotistic, and pay, benefits, and job security are low.
Pros
Some flexibility with work or school schedules.
Cons
Long days in the summer with limited vacation time availability.
Great Organization, Wrong Club
YDP (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 19, 2016
Being someone who has worked for many different childcare organizations, this one was great, but this particular club was not. Boys & Girls Club is an amazing org, that you can learn so much from, and also gain lifelong skills if you're passionate about children. At the same time, you have to male sure you are at the right club to get the full benefits. If you work at a Club that is not as advanced as some of the others, it can be redundant, repetitive, boring work. I advise you research your club, and see the activities they are involved in before making your decision. Otherwise, the children are amazing, and it is a great learning experience.
Pros
lots of fun. cool laid back setting.
Cons
no room to grow. low pay.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Boys & Girls Clubs of America. Our community is ready to answer.

Boys & Girls Clubs of America Reviews by Job Title