Boys & Girls Clubs of America Employee Reviews in United States

Found 2,901 reviews matching the search
Productive and fun enviornment
Counselor/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCJuly 27, 2016
Developed immensely as a leader. Co workers were amazing and the environment was family oriented. I learned so much about myself and working with children as a result of working at BGC
Great work experience
Staff (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 26, 2016
You learn adapt to different attitudes and cultures. The staff are very friendly and child oriented. Every child's care is attended to daily. Great environment for children and staff.
Fun and enjoyable workplace
Child Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJuly 26, 2016
The entire facility was well-run. All of the kids that I worked with were amazing and well-behaved. I got along with my coworkers. I had to assist a class of students, made sure they behaved during lessons, and helped the children with anything they needed. I helped in the kitchen and helped to clean the rooms as needed.
Productive workplace where you can make a difference in the lives of children
Program Staff (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNJuly 25, 2016
A typical day of work is having fun with kids and furthering their future potential. You learn to work with both children and their parents to make a brighter future for kids.
Fun and safe environment for members and workers
Art Program Leader (Former Employee) –  Sheboygan, WIJuly 24, 2016
Daily work is supervising the members with educational activities. The management can be stressful, but you don't deal with it too much. Otherwise this is a fun job and wish you could get more hours!
Pros
The kids!
Cons
No advancement opportunities or benefits (if part time)
Fun and productive
Counselor (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsJuly 22, 2016
We start off with a meeting everyday to evaluate how the day is going to be set up. I learned how to take things in charge, be responsible and remain focus throughout the whole work day.
Pros
free lunches, extra supervision
Cons
less assistants
Challenging but rewarding at the same time
Floor Staff (Former Employee) –  Columbus, INJuly 21, 2016
Before working at the club I had only worked with children once during my senior year of high school as a peer mentor for middle school students. I had the opportunity to learn how to handle situations between children and learn how to solve the problems between them. Honestly I feel like I helped a lot of the children and was a good role model for all of them.
Pros
Working with children
Cons
The salary
not fun
Site Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJuly 21, 2016
you are assigned too many kids to work with during summer camp
not enough help with the youth
summer camp unorganized
no training for new staff camp staff
Pros
yes free lunch
Cons
summer camp you are assigned to 21 kids
Fun, active place to be
Americorps Member and Assistant Athletic Director (Former Employee) –  Nashua, NHJuly 21, 2016
Wonderful staff and support. Loved it there, Fast paced and upbeat. Always busy, always something to do. Hardest part of the job is seeing the kids go home and not be taken care of. Best part of the job is being the secure part in many kids lives.
productice and fun playing with children
Staff (Former Employee) –  Harbor City, CAJuly 20, 2016
working at the boys and girls club was very active . I learned to be self diciplin, . got along with everyone, very respectful people. the hardest thing about that job was dealing with disrespectful minors. really enjoyed playing with kids and also helping them with there homework
Pros
free lunches and dicounts on snack stashes
Cons
had 30 to an hour lunch break
Loved my job
Enrichment Teacher & Coach (Current Employee) –  Thomson, GAJuly 20, 2016
This was a job i was looking forward to. I could help out in community while expressing my inner kid. Started part time. helped out where i could. Had good encouraging co workers
Excellent opportunity for growth and development!
Recreation Specialist/ Clerk (Former Employee) –  Wichita Falls, TXJuly 20, 2016
The Boys & Girls Club of America provides endless opportunity for growth and development for both work related experiences, as well as, personal evolution. I learned motivational techniques, management skills and instructional proficiency, and flexibility. I, honestly never imagined learning so much from working with children. The most challenging part of this job would have to be meeting the individual needs of children and parents. This is such a diverse environment. However, this challenge was also the greatest gift I was awarded during my employment.
Pros
You touch the lives of children everyday, making life time connections.
Cons
pay scale
Productive and Independent workplace with guidance
Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 19, 2016
A typical work day requires flexibility at all time in personal schedule with programs and times. I learned to think on the spot and adapt very quickly based on the needs of the members as well as other staff and the building. Management styles are different from club to club and management does not always truly understand what the front line staff does. I have a healthy relationship with my co-workers but feel that some people should not be in the position in which they are. The hardest part of the job is serving a variety of ages of youth without giving them too much structure. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with youth and being able to help them succeed in the club, school, and in life.
Meaningful and Inspirational place to work
Lead. My responsibilities (Current Employee) –  Garden Grove, CAJuly 19, 2016
The mission that the Boys and Girls club has built upon is a noble cause and working with school aged children has been a joy and fun experience.
Very fulfilling work with great coworkers, and members
Teen REACH Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 19, 2016
Working for the Boys & Girls Club gave me a lot of experience working with kids that changed my life as much as I hope I did theirs. It offered a lot of freedom to create new programs in a creative way. The environment was both friendly and professional. However, occasionally our operating hours would change with very short notice.
Pros
Freedom to be creative, and innovative
Cons
Fluctuating hours, restrictions on vacation
productive and fun workplace
Human Service Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicopee, MAJuly 18, 2016
Busy from when the children first arrive until they leave. How to keep children entertained. Management always works behind the scenes. Co-workers keep the place running smoothly. Dealing with the children straight out from school is the hardest part. The most enjoyable part is having them learn new things.
Fun work place with children
TEEN DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJuly 18, 2016
Counsel children with various concerns related to their home environment
◦ Responsible for time sensitive programs
◦ Daily field trips (swimming, movies, bowling, roller-skating, Keystone, Smart Girls etc)
◦ Kept daily attendance log (enter data in computer tracking system, PowerPoint, Excel, Publisher, Word)
◦ Interviewing and training of new staff
◦ Purchasing agent for the club (food, office supplies, etc.)
Pros
Having Fun and learning as well the children
Cons
No paying enough
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sanford, FLJuly 17, 2016
Only work with this company for summer months. Management and Co-workers were a joy to work with. I didn't really have any hard parts to the job. I enjoyed working with the kids. Work day included working with kids, cleaning and goal tracking.
Pros
The kids
Cons
Afterschool Program for grade school kids.
Program Instructor (Former Employee) –  Garden Grove, CAJuly 15, 2016
Working here can be a lot of fun when you enjoy what you do with children. Co-workers were friendly and very active. You get to grow close with them through team building activities. You also develop a relationship with the students and their parents. I learned patience, creative skills and communication skills at this job.
a meaningful work place
Youth Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJuly 14, 2016
Being able to make a difference in youth's lives is what the job was all about! there is small group of co-workers and you feel like a family. a typical day I work would be implementing fun, safe and health activities with youth.
Pros
being a possitive role model to youth
Cons
no advancement in job

Boys & Girls Clubs of America Reviews by Job Title