Boys & Girls Clubs of America Employee Reviews in United States

Found 2,900 reviews matching the search
I have worked for 3 different types of Boys & Girls Clubs loved everyone
Director (Former Employee) –  Flagler, COApril 5, 2016
Great Youth Serving Organization-- Mission always focused on the Youth and serves the youth who need it most.

Serves at risk youth ages 6 to 18 with after-school programming that provides a Fun & Safe Place with Caring Adults.

The Club activities are engaging and provide hope and opportunity for participating youth. Everything from Education and Career Development, Health and Life Skills, the Arts, Character and Leadership to Sports Fitness and Recreation.
Pros
Full time benifits
Positive Place for Kids & Teens
Youth Developer (Former Employee) –  Jesup, GAOctober 19, 2015
Unorganized work environment with poor management. The Boys & Girls Club of America was created to provide low-income children with a place to have fun, learn and have positive role models. The Boys & Girls Club of the Altamaha Area has positive role models, but they do not instill the positive aspects of life and responsibility into the children. This organization is all politics and whether or not you are well known in the community. The love you develop for the children sometimes overweights how pitifully this Boys and Girls Club is run. It is a great first job for someone who is learning the roles of a work environment but a career can not be made from here.
Pros
Developing a bond with the children
Cons
Poor management, no benefits, only part time youth developers
Very exciting to learn about what our youth are thinking.
Counselor/Coach (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLMarch 19, 2016
A typical day at work would be leading and supervising a group of kids during recreational activities. I learned about different cultures and practices from children from different communities. my Co- workers were great we were all on the same page, which made it fun to go to work. the hardest part of the job was listening to kids tell on each other for simple things. the most enjoyable part of the job was watching the kids doing the whip and nae nae (dance).
Pros
Entertaining, uplifting the youth
Cons
no benefits
Teen Mentor
Teen Mentor/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cathedral City, CAFebruary 19, 2016
Typical Day at work was getting picked on by High School student, helping them with homework, listening to their problems, offering them career oriented advice, kicking their butts at ping pong, chess, battleship, and watching them grow as adults.

I learned how my son behaves as a teenager

Management was tight and complimenting of eachother

Co workers were pleasant

hardest part of the job was seeing a teen club member in distress or get into legal trouble

Most enjoyable part was having the teens cheer for me when introduced at big events
Pros
Love
Cons
Teen problems (home issues)
Fun place to wrok
Youth Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 27, 2016
At BGC I work with children from the city of Grand Rapids. I do a variety of things for them. I do administrative work at the front desk, manage and supervise different rooms in the club, and serve dinner.

I have learned preparation, patience, dedication, multitasking, group management, versatility, and administrative skills.

The management is great at keeping this organization going and supporting the staff that works with the children.

I love my coworkers here. We treat each other like a big family and have become a great team.

The hardest part of this job is that you can get stressed out if you don't know how to manage 100+ kids.

The most enjoyable part is watching the kids develop into leaders and making good choice in life. I have been with them for 5 years and I have seen so much growth. If you love children this is a great place to work.
Pros
Children, coworkers, fun, and teaches a lot of skills
Cons
Not enough hours, no benefits for part time, and you can get stressed out
fun and exciting workplace that inspires both specialists and children to work together to learn and grow.
Youth Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAJanuary 5, 2016
My time at the Boys and Girls Club has been one of my favorites. Aiding in the development of my students and watching them grow has been one of the most rewarding experiences. I feel as though my job was not simply to teach, but also to learn. My passion for working with children has always been present, but through this position I have been able to mold this passion into a skill. The skill set I have acquired through this position includes the ability to communicate with parents and teachers, maintain classroom management, create lesson plans, and find creative ways to make learning fun. I truly regard this position as one of the highlights of my career and personal growth.
Pros
flexibility with school schedule
Cons
lack of substitutes
Loved what I did hated who I did it for
program assistant (Former Employee) –  Paris, TXDecember 27, 2015
The boys and girls club is a mans world, being a female in this work environment subjects you harassment and no room for advancement. The Executive director doesn't care about anyone but himself and the money he makes. The employees are not well taken care of, sick days are not allowable, nor is there paid time off even after being there multiple years.
Pros
fun working with youth
Cons
no benefits at all
Excellent Non-Profit and Progressive Long-Term Thinking
Operations Director (Former Employee) –  Indiantown, FLDecember 3, 2015
Incredible experience working with dynamic colleagues. Culture of trust and support evolved into a true open-door policy. Progressive communication (true open-door dialogue no matter the position) was established. Philosophies were modernized and provided to increase and strengthen staff development. Multiple training opportunities are held, many more than typically available in this profession to also assist staff development. Development of succession plans established employees to increase their development and attain promotions within and outside the organization. Positions were created to address specific needs which helped retention. Accountability was increased to ensure fidelity of program outcomes and staff development. This resulted in national Boys & Girls Clubs of America recognition and is now being adopted by other BGC organizations.
Fun workplace.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMarch 23, 2016
This was a one day volunteer experience. Throughout my day, I "sponsored" the kids and adults who participated in the race. The people that I met were very friendly. The most enjoyable part of the job was taking pictures of the animals, since the fundraiser was located at the Cleveland Metroparks zoo.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Humid weather
performed monthly billpay and daily customer payments
Financial Assistant (intern) (Former Employee) –  Ruston, LAApril 1, 2016
I was responsible for collecting and recording all money that was given to or used by the Boys and Girls Club. I learned patience and to be precise in my counting, calculating, and observing. I would record where the money was coming from, who it was for, and place it in the correct spreadsheet to ensure the state grants were being utilized properly. I reconciled all bills to ensure all debt was paid and up to date. The primary accountant and I had very different personalities but it positively allowed me to see that I can work with and learn from someone who is different than me. The hardest part about my job was disciplining my self to multitask to finish all jobs by or before the deadline. The most enjoyable part of my job was to see how much I truly enjoyed accounting and budgeting. It gave me a great outlook on my career goals.
Exciting work environment
Youth Recreation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Box Elder, MTJanuary 21, 2016
This job was a grant position, where the grant only lasted for a one year period. Each day I prepared after school activities for the children. My co-workers were involved with the activities. I truly enjoyed working with the community and the children. The hardest part of my job was finding the funding to keep the facility open.
Pros
Worked with a diversity of children
Cons
No benefits and no room for advancement
great environment to work and build realtionships with youth.
Youth Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 10, 2016
on a day to day basis I typically write out lesson plans and physical activity programs that I am going to implement throughout the day. everyday I learn something different about each club member which is part of building that relationship with them with our program. my coworkers at work are a great team to be surrounded with when we are working with youth, we all have different strengths that we put towards our program and we feed off of one another in good way as far as working together as a team. the most exciting thing about working at the boys and club is being able to engage in those physical activities and compete against the club members especially when they like being competitive. it makes it a lot easier to build those good relationships with them when being involved and having fun with them throughout the day.
Great Learning Center for ages 2-5
Lead Teacher (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTMarch 26, 2016
Great place for preschool children. Effective lesson plans and qualified teachers. Great management and caring people who love what they do. Would recommend to everyone.
Pros
Teachers, Quality learning
Cons
Advancement
Awesome work place!
Recreational Leader (Former Employee) –  Weslaco, TXNovember 10, 2015
A typical day at work was always fun! I learned how to discipline and be firm with the students. While working there the management always strived to do their best. My co-workers were very supportive and always willing to lend a helping hand. The hardest part of the job was in the beginning, when I was afraid to be firm with the students because I wasn't sure how to do so. Once I quickly learned it became simple. The most enjoyable part of the job would have been being able to associate with the children. I enjoy teaching the students new things and how teamwork is very important.
Pros
Working with kids
Cons
No advancement
Productive and fun work place
Youth Leader Development (Former Employee) –  Imperial Beach, CAMarch 16, 2016
Management was great and my co-workers were great too. Working with children ranging ages of 6-18 years old made every day interesting and different.
Cons
no healthcare benefits
Fun job with low pay
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 17, 2015
The Boys and Girls Clubs of King County has a great mission, and I truly enjoyed working with the kids. However, the pay is very low. They are trying to fix this right now by giving higher wages to new employees; however, they are not giving raises to current employees. That means new employees will be making more money than their coworkers who have been working at the organization for years.
Pros
Great kids, get payed to play
Cons
Low pay, undervalued staff
Fun, productive , people oriented , many activities to fit every need
Site Supervisor (Former Employee) –  CFJ Elementary School, EndicottOctober 20, 2015
For the most part great co-workers, a lot of fun activities everyday ( Computer room,weight room, pool, gym), variety of classes for every need such as Gymnastics, Swim lessons, Pilates, Club Café & many more. Overall a very positive place for children to grow & develop / safe environment so that parents can feel confident about leaving their children in our care while they work. Many activities & fund- raising geared towards helping the community.
Pros
Active, Fun environment, supportive co-workers & higher management, if you love working with children this is the place
Cons
Low pay, only part-time hrs unless higher management, no benefits or holiday or vacation pay etc
Fun workplace, celebrates creativity, work that doesn't feel like work
Mentor and tutor children (Current Employee) –  Tracy, CAFebruary 27, 2016
you lead programs 5 days a week, with occasional opportunities for work extra hours. It allows a lot of creative freedom and room to express yourself. If you like talking and being around people, this place is perfect. limited amounts of paperwork, great opportunities to stay active. Coworkers and managers are usually very amiable and supportive. the hardest part of the job can at times be time management, but also saying goodbye to the members if you are suddenly transferred to another site.
Pros
creative freedoms
Cons
subject to sudden transfer
Fun place to work
Teen Center Director (Current Employee) –  Germantown, MDDecember 30, 2015
Great kids and staff are great but there are internal problems, lack of communication, no raises and somewhat unprofessional attitude from many. Some of the staff is amazing, and yet not recognized for their talents.
Pros
Staff and kids
Cons
no raises, failure to recognize and promote talent
Fun and enjoyable
Staff Counselor (Former Employee) –  Scranton PaOctober 16, 2015
I would work hard taking care of a lot of kids and play with them the management was okay even though didnt see much of them. The coworkers were nice and eager about work and the hardest part of the job were breaking up fights while the most enjoyable part were playing with the kids.
Pros
friendly people
Cons
Lo salary and not fully up to date

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Boys & Girls Clubs of America. Our community is ready to answer.

Boys & Girls Clubs of America Reviews by Job Title