Boys & Girls Clubs of America Employee Reviews in United States

Found 2,896 reviews matching the search
Boys and Girls Club of America
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Paris, ILJune 21, 2016
Boys and Girls Club of America is a very good program for all children from the ages of 6 to 16. I only work four hours a day. I would answer phone, check mail and distribute in everyone mail box. Also, I would greet anyone who would come into the building whether it may be someone to work on something to someone wanted to see the manager of the club. After my fours hours someone would come in and take over which her duties was very extent.
Interactive, Fun, Sometimes unruly members
Youth Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Victorville, CAJuly 1, 2016
A typical day for YDS. As a YDS, I come in 15 mins. before we open our doors to the members. During that time, I arrange room and tables to allow seating. I put out games for our initial check-in grace period. After about 30 mins. into opening, we begin our laid out activities and programs. The programs which we make must be able to have all of ouor members join who range from 5-18 years of age. The hardest part is sometimes having the members participate and having to deal with the unruly members and their parents.
Pros
3-4 straight hours, light work, fun
Cons
difficult at times, low pay, hard to create/implement broad raange of programs
Fun work place with children
TEEN DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJuly 18, 2016
Counsel children with various concerns related to their home environment
◦ Responsible for time sensitive programs
◦ Daily field trips (swimming, movies, bowling, roller-skating, Keystone, Smart Girls etc)
◦ Kept daily attendance log (enter data in computer tracking system, PowerPoint, Excel, Publisher, Word)
◦ Interviewing and training of new staff
◦ Purchasing agent for the club (food, office supplies, etc.)
Pros
Having Fun and learning as well the children
Cons
No paying enough
Everyone was passionate about the company's mission
Intern (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 9, 2016
Typical work day for me would include checking in with the Lead project manager, after checking in with him. It was my duty to initate all project requests from internal customers within Boys & Girls Clubs of America. I've learned how to coordinate, and manage small, and mid size projects accordingly. All of my co-workers were innovative and always searching for ways to reach out to Americas youth across the nation, this gave mea great sense of purpose within my role and added a extra drive for me.
Excellent opportunity for growth and development!
Recreation Specialist/ Clerk (Former Employee) –  Wichita Falls, TXJuly 20, 2016
The Boys & Girls Club of America provides endless opportunity for growth and development for both work related experiences, as well as, personal evolution. I learned motivational techniques, management skills and instructional proficiency, and flexibility. I, honestly never imagined learning so much from working with children. The most challenging part of this job would have to be meeting the individual needs of children and parents. This is such a diverse environment. However, this challenge was also the greatest gift I was awarded during my employment.
Pros
You touch the lives of children everyday, making life time connections.
Cons
pay scale
Very fulfilling work with great coworkers, and members
Teen REACH Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 19, 2016
Working for the Boys & Girls Club gave me a lot of experience working with kids that changed my life as much as I hope I did theirs. It offered a lot of freedom to create new programs in a creative way. The environment was both friendly and professional. However, occasionally our operating hours would change with very short notice.
Pros
Freedom to be creative, and innovative
Cons
Fluctuating hours, restrictions on vacation
Boys and Girls Club of Greenwich
Assistant Swim and Water Polo Head Coach (Current Employee) –  Greenwich, CTJune 20, 2016
Best part of being the assistant swim and water polo coach was definitely teaching kids the ins and outs of what it means to be a swimmer and water polo player.

I usually give them my experiences when I was practicing the sport and how I used to manage any tricky part of the sport. Whatever mistakes in the pool that I made (blindly passing the ball into double coverage or slowing down your arms and gliding while swimming freestyle), I make sure that my students don't make the same one again.

The management around me really made my job easier and I knew that I could count on anyone if I had a problem with one of my kids, or anything at all.
Hospital
Choreographer and Model Instructor (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, CT Norfol VA and Conyers GaJune 17, 2016
Fun and Caring environment Children are learning the different techniques of hip hop and runway modeling. I learned so much from the children every day there personality there wants and dreams. They inspire me to help me help them. MY co workers were very good to work with. The hard part of the job was to leave the children everyday. The enjoyable part of the job was to work with the every day people and the children and watch the smiles on there faces.
Awesome Breeding ground for Young Success
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Trenton, NJJune 16, 2016
It was a fun day every different day. I learned how to be a better mentor to the younger generations. The management also served as mentors for my age group in teaching us how to better lead the young ones. My co-workers were like friends, others I kept it business professional. I didn't ind many challenges working there, your job is only a job if you do not like dong it.
Pros
Constant Mentoring and Personal Development
Cons
None come to mind
Fun environment and building relationships
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Pierce, FLJune 26, 2016
The BGC is a very fast- paced and friendly environment. Every day I learn something new about a child and where they come from. I try to make it a fun and memorable experience for them. Even though some days are tougher than others, my coworkers are there for support. The hardest part about the BGC is managing behaviors and keeping them engaged. They get tired of the same routine and structure everyday so having to change was a struggle sometimes. The most enjoyable part of the job that I will take with me is the relationships that I built with the kids. I enjoyed getting to know them and being a mentor to them because some kids come from a rough home life.
Pros
Support from coworkers
Cons
Pay (part-time)
Greatest reward comes from the youth
Director of Teen Services (Current Employee) –  Venice, CAJune 12, 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job is the difference you make in the lives of the youth. The hardest part of the job is having to accommodate specific companies' grants requirements, having to do things last minute for donors, etc. In the end, the greatest gift is seeing how grateful these youth are and getting to see them grow into beautiful, caring, productive and responsible citizens.
Pros
free swag, amazing connections, networking
Cons
bad benefits, short breaks, little compensation, work comes home with you
Overworked & no work-life balance
Account Strategy & Development (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 10, 2016
BGCA has a reputation for no work/life balance and the work load is extreme. Management knows what work you have on your desk, and does nothing about it. Working on weekends, late nights, must get job done, whatever it takes. Resource development is a pressure cooker. Culture was never about the kids, only about the money raised. Positions are highly visible, and micro management is encouraged. Leadership turns their heads and does not address real problems; even though they know about them.
enjoys working with the kids
LCAP Aide (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJune 7, 2016
I learned the responsibility of supervision,as when /my supervision of after school activities.helping them with homework.management as I am responsible for safety duties.the management are courtios,advising me on career advancement oppurtunities.the hardest part of the job leaving the kids as it is summer,and I am off work during summer months.the most enjoyable part of the job is the aide/student intereaction the students refer to me as miss (my name)
Pros
rides to work from co workers
Cons
low hours which we're raised from 15 to 25 hours a week, then due to cutbacks back to 15 hours and no work in summer months
The only thing exciting are the students !
Program Aide (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 3, 2016
This organization has been around for many of years , and have contributed to a lot of successes in the world . However as the years change so do organizations , and this organization proved to be an embarrassment . They have a whistle blower policy , but it's only to protect them . Once you blow the whistle and they find out who you are . They will get rid of you !
Pros
Social events, promotions, facilities
Cons
Executive director and her staff
Productive and Independent workplace with guidance
Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 19, 2016
A typical work day requires flexibility at all time in personal schedule with programs and times. I learned to think on the spot and adapt very quickly based on the needs of the members as well as other staff and the building. Management styles are different from club to club and management does not always truly understand what the front line staff does. I have a healthy relationship with my co-workers but feel that some people should not be in the position in which they are. The hardest part of the job is serving a variety of ages of youth without giving them too much structure. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with youth and being able to help them succeed in the club, school, and in life.
Loving children with passion and talent
Art & Music Assistant (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, TNJune 1, 2016
I had the best co-workers assisting me. The management knew exactly how to run things and keep the children happy and safe. The hardest part of the job was no air conditioning in the summer. The best was the look on the kids face when you told them everything you liked about their art, singing, or music. While I had been babysitting kids for years, I learned even more how to love and appreciate them.
Pros
Informed co-workers, everyone was willing to help
Cons
No AC
High Energy, Scheduled
Temp (Former Employee) –  Venice, CAJune 30, 2016
Work starts right when you clock in.

You have to maintain high energy to keep club members engaged and excited.

I learned how to manage my time adequately.

Mangement is wonderful here. Everyone is super helpful by offering assisted when it is needed.

Co-workers are easy going. There is a sense of family there.

The hardest part of the job was not getting attached to the club members.

The most enjoyable was being able to mentor youth.
Fast pace enviorment
Membership Clerk (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMay 30, 2016
Working here is an experience. if your looking to working with kids with all types background, whether it be a teacher, social worker, officer, ect this is ideal. some days are fun, some days are long. You will be an expert of problem solving and working in all areas. Just because you work in the gameroom....doesn't mean you cant be pulled to the computer lab, front desk, or gym.
Pros
Flexiable hours (good for college or high school students)
Cons
Pay, and benefits (None for part*time employees)
Fun workplace environment
Health & Wellness Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Menomonie, WIMay 26, 2016
Daily we would work with the members throughout different programs we would run in the day. If it was not your program to lead you assisted the other staff, if it was your program you were guiding the members through the program. Most difficult part of the position was remember all of the names of the members. Most fun part of the job was getting to interact with the kids and challenge their minds.
Pros
Free lunch, got to run around with the members
Cons
NA
Challenging but rewarding at the same time
Floor Staff (Former Employee) –  Columbus, INJuly 21, 2016
Before working at the club I had only worked with children once during my senior year of high school as a peer mentor for middle school students. I had the opportunity to learn how to handle situations between children and learn how to solve the problems between them. Honestly I feel like I helped a lot of the children and was a good role model for all of them.
Pros
Working with children
Cons
The salary

Boys & Girls Clubs of America Reviews by Job Title