Boys & Girls Clubs of America

Boys & Girls Clubs of America Employee Reviews

Found 3,306 reviews matching the search
Good resume booster
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Erie, PADecember 27, 2016
Be ready to come up with activities for gym and art, and to set up. There is a game room where the kids can play games. There is a pool, but lifeguards are not always there, and you do not usually know that in advance, so be prepared to come up with something else to do. There are fun trips that you and the kids get to go on that are paid for, and lunch with them is fun.

I worked with the younger girls, and my co-worker who worked with the middle aged girls often teamed up with me. I cannot imagine working there without her, for she was a great help.
Productive and fun for the kids who utilize the opportunity of attending
Youth Development Staff (Former Employee) –  Iuka, MSJanuary 9, 2017
My job of Youth Development Staff at Boys & Girls of America in the Iuka, MS unit consisted of an after school program for kids ages ranging from 6 to 13 for the most part. The program is for kids that don't have a place to go after school if their parents are working or for any other reason they would need to use our assistance. We provided tutoring for all children that attended and extra if it was needed. After homework was completed kids we would play games with them and give them exercise to keep them active. This job personally for me made me a better person and taught me a lot of responsibility.
Pros
Off holidays, easy going environment
Cons
Low pay, low hours, no advancment opportunities
Necessary organization for the community
Program Staff - part time (Current Employee) –  Carpentersville, ILJanuary 11, 2017
Important organization for an at risk community. Serving 7 schools and over 1,300 students. Great team building with Unit Director leading the way. Hardest part is dealing in a positive way with disrespectful members. Turning these individuals around in a positive mind set.
Pros
Excellent traing and not working on holidays
Cons
Not having enough materials supplies for the kids
fun and enjoyable
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXDecember 18, 2016
this job was a very typical summer camp job of being a counselor for kids ages 6-13 and being able to watch them throughout the day during the summer time and play games with them and do different activities outside. the staff there were great and very helpful in the education of the children coming there and making sure that they had a good time while learning basic life skills and social behaviors that they might be struggling with.
ACCOUNTS PAYABLE CLERK AND SPORTS ADMIN. ASST (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXJanuary 10, 2017
It was a wonderful environment to work in. Especially with the youth. Communicating with the parents. I handled all sports registration for the club and moved over to handle all accounts payable for the club. Great learning experience.
Best Place to Start Education Experince
Academic Aide/After school Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 16, 2016
I worked the After school program for two years and loved it. My Supervisors were always helpful and available. They always had tips and tricks for us when it came to handling large groups and encouraged us to plan activities. There were plenty of resources and we always felt cheered on by both the school supervisors and our club supervisors.
Pros
Fun time, Working in groups
Cons
short/no breaks
Fun coaching kids in basketball an softball
Program Instructor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 23, 2017
First part of the day is provide a snack for the kids,after that power hour consist of helping with homework an finally an activity for the day.Working for this company gives me a chance to guide an coach youth into the right direction,provide guidance an real life experience to help mature into a postive adult.
Pros
playing sports with the kids
Cons
no heath benefits
Great Environment, Horrible Management
Intern (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 8, 2016
came here as a kid and I loved it. I worked here specifically because of the emotional attachment I had to the place. It was fun working with kids, but not all the time. We were constantly understaffed and supervisors werent there most of the time, so it was hard at times not knowing what to do with so many kids. Overall it's a fun job if you like kids and helping them. But dont complain to management about your conerns, or else you will get fired
Pros
Working w/ kids
Cons
Understaffed, unorganized, horrible management
Best Job
Server/Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MAJanuary 30, 2017
This had to be one of my best jobs I had as a teenager. I got to work with other kids in a fun matter while also giving them a great time. My coworkers were great and work amazing as a team. Everyone's goal was the children and there never seem to be a problem. Communication skill were great and trust was ensured. I have noting bad to say about this company beside that the job was only a summer opportunity.
Easy going, energetic environment
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Ferndale, WADecember 5, 2016
I would arrive there around 2:30 and talk to the bosses about what would have to get done. It was normally washing windows, scrubbing tables and cubbies. Then i would proceed to the bathrooms where bleaching and wiping down the compartments would take place. After that was done, would go to the gym and wash the doors and clean window doors. I learned that even though i was just cleaning it took dedication to keep pushing through. The hardest part of the job was not getting to work with the children and the most enjoyable part of the job was being able to put in headphones and bust out work.
Pros
Being independent, working around children, easy hours
Cons
No breaks
great environment, great supervisors
Tutor/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Isabela, PRFebruary 1, 2017
the best experience I had in my life. As a tutor I had the opportunity to contribute in the students grades and also in their lives . I used to give them advices in their personal lifes. Assist to their school activities. Celebrate with them all their activities such as: honor roll day, graduation, birthday and many other activities.
Pros
excellent co-workers
Cons
a lot of rules
Great job that lets you work on making a better world.
Lead Child Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 4, 2016
I loved this job. I had a great time with the staff the management and the the whole mission statement. The only issue is that this is not a long term job. The company is non-profit and that shows in your hourly wage. If you are like me then the most important part is that you are helping make a better place with the next generation. You also fill in the holes that schools and parents may leave. Communication is important as well as having a variety of perspectives.
Safe environment for children of all ages.
Homework Tutor (Former Employee) –  San Pedro, CAFebruary 18, 2017
Although every staff knew what they had to do on a daily basis, everyday brought its new challenges. Everyday there was a struggle with pencils and everyday the kids would tell you how much you meant to them. I learned that although every child has a different background story they all deserve the same amount or attention and the same amount of love from every staff. The hardest part of the job was when a child had to get disciplined because you did not want to get seen as the bad guy but at times it was necessary. The most enjoyable part of the job was when you as a staff were able to see the smile on the children's faces and when a parent would come up to you and tell you that you were doing an amazing job and that they would not know what they would do without the Boys & Girls Club.
Good place to relax & get payed
Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Desert Hot Springs, CANovember 30, 2016
The typical work day for me was arrive at 3:00 pm. Work in the tutoring area for a hour or so, helping with homework. Then after that stand around watching over kids until there parents arrived. I would leave around 7:00pm or 8:00pm depending on when all the children had left. It was a really smoothed sailing type of job. With easy to work with employs & the management was very friendly. The hardest part was feeling fulfilled of myself.
Pros
Very flexable hours, Fun work envirment, Fun people to work with
Cons
Personal con. to much free time
They played favorites. A LOT.
Activity Leader (Former Employee) –  Carpentersville, ILJanuary 18, 2017
I definitely did not have a great experience working for the Boys and Girls Club. They say how they are all about making kids futures brighter but in reality they seem to be focused more on the profits and money that is coming in. They pay minimum wage to people who go above and beyond what they're supposed to be doing and take advantage of the kindness in those people.
Good Place to work.
Internship (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYNovember 29, 2016
The Boys and Girls Club is a good place to do fieldwork or Volunteer work. Its ghetto and people who work there are unorganized and they want the volunteers to do all the work while they sit around in the Accelerating Reading Room. The art room is a good place to be. The lady is nice and laid back. The most fun part is the kids. They might through a party but then sit around for 20 minutes. That is not a party that's wasting time.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Unorganized
Awesome summer job
Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXJanuary 10, 2017
The management was just below average. There was a lack of communication and sometimes respect between authority and staff members. Despite those issues, this was an awesome summer job. I got to engage with kids and make bonds with them. We got to go on trips in town and the kids really loved it. The company cares for the kids and that's their main focus which is very respectable.
Enjoyable place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 2, 2017
I like working with a diverse group of children. I enjoy the administrative work I do as well. The members and staff are great to work with. Nothing to hard about this job as I am familiar with the students because I work at the school where the club is housed in. I have learned patience and the ability to interact with a wide range of ages and personalities.
great working environment
Challengers (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 8, 2016
i always have a great day at work no matter whats on my mind. ive learned to never be late to work or else it will be bad consequences. the management was great, my co-workers were fun,the hardest part of the job was cleaning up after kids over and over again. the most enjoyable part of the job was playing board games with the kids and watching them smile and have fun.
Pros
free food in the lounge.
Cons
short breaks
Productive workplace. Great opportunity to impact kids in the community.
Boys and Girls Club Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Anniston, ALNovember 24, 2016
Had an opportunity to work at the local Boys & Girls Club and develop relationships with kids in the community. It was important for me to serve as an inspirational figure as a collegiate student-athlete, while teaching them the importance of earning an education. Enjoyable workplace environment where employees looked forward to coming to work and trying to make a difference.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Boys & Girls Clubs of America. Our community is ready to answer.

Boys & Girls Clubs of America Reviews by Job Title