Boys & Girls Clubs of America Employee Reviews

Found 3,603 reviews matching the search
not much to say
Voulenteer (Former Employee) –  Ronan, MTMay 16, 2017
worked in the kitchen mostly cooking for the kids so not much interaction there staff were really nice since I was just a volunteer no room for growth
Pros
free lunch
Disorganized, but friendly workspace
Professional Childcare Provider (Former Employee) –  Westminster, MDMay 16, 2017
This is supposed to be a place where children are able to grow, some do and some do not because of the disorganization and inconsistency of discipline. A lot of the employees do not have the proper training to handle the types of children that attend the Club.
Pros
Working directly with children from the community and aiding them with homework.
Cons
The discipline is not consistent, so the children do not really listen.
My start
Program Manager II; Site Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Garden Grove, CAMay 16, 2017
I learned a lot about myself while serving others. It was a fantastic opportunity to give back to my community. This company is phenomenal. Absolutely grateful!
Pros
expanded on my skill set
Cons
High stress with little support
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  South TacomaMay 16, 2017
The compensation for this position, the required duties, and the responsibility level was not congruent to the professional goals of my career. The role included the management of operations, financial reconciliation and outsourcing of services to three sites without the flexibility to independently manage time.
Pros
Working with Underprivileged Communities and Programs
Cons
Low pay, high responsibilities and expectations, minimum managerial support
Productive and fun workplace
Youth Specialist (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXMay 16, 2017
You must love children to work here, you have good days along with some not so good days but the kids always make it worth it!
The hardest part of the job is seeing children in need and not being able to help! It breaks my heart
Fun environment!
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, CAMay 15, 2017
As I volunteer, I got to work with a lot of kids and oversee activities and also play with them! it was extremely fun and would definitely recommend it.
Gives you a purpose
Volunteer 200 (Former Employee) –  Merced, CAMay 15, 2017
What you do here stays with these children for the rest of their lives. Every day I spent at the boys and girls club was enjoyable and I appreciate the experience I was given.
Super fun place to work
Senior Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Westminster, MDMay 15, 2017
This was the very fist job I had in college. I learned about how to work well with small children and the best ways to tutor and mentor children. I really enjoyed working there.
Over the last 3 years
Volunteer Coordinator & Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCMay 15, 2017
I use to love what I do and whom I served in this non profit organization but the mission is lost and tainted . Employees are not recognized or appreciated for anything that we do . It's dreadful and hard to get up in the morning to come to this place.
Pros
free t-shirts
Cons
this organization doesn't take care of their employees, No one has seen a raise in over 5 years. Turnover is at 88% . No accountability, work ethic or morale . It could be much better
positive work place
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAMay 15, 2017
prepare activities for the kids from learning to active. I learned that the kids of boys and girls club love having visitors and play games. the workers were caring but strict.They were really well respected by the children. The hardest part of the job would be dealing with the children that do not follow rules and cause trouble. The most enjoyable would be the bonds you make with the kids.
Pros
free snack and dinner
Cons
sanitary
Great place to worl
Youth Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 14, 2017
My time at the boys and girls was very rewarding. No two days are the same, and with the right team, you as an employee will feel supported in all that you do.
Pros
Work Hours
Cons
Advancement may be dificutl
Boys & Girls Club of Metro Atlanta
Teen Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 13, 2017
My first job; I had a great time working with youth on the day to day basis. I was fulfilled simply by having the opportunity to make a difference. The pay and the hours aren't great; if you do not have a degree this job is not worth your time.
Youth Leader and dance assistant
Tutor for youth and dance assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 12, 2017
I worked with so many amazing kids. This job was a great experience. I have always loved working with youth, this job was a place that I gained skills in time management as well as multi-tasking.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
Part time for 3 hours Monday-Friday
Fun if you enjoy kids
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Tolleson, AZMay 12, 2017
To volunteer is to be caring, and if you cant care for something or someone, you shouldn't waste your time doing it... We cared for our kids, we fed them and sometimes if we had left overs, they ate more. The kids helped keep the facility clean. Do something great!
Pros
Free Lunches
it was fun, great atmosphere
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Garfield, NJMay 12, 2017
my typical day at work was to make kids laugh and have fun at the job. i learned how to handle money, have patience, be responsible. The hardest part of my job was dealing with kids that were mad. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing kids smile
Pros
i was allowed to play basketball
Cons
bad kids
Fun and Productive Place to work
K-5 Academic Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Menlo Park, CAMay 12, 2017
BGCP is a fun place to work; the kids are tough but if you're patient and willing to work with them and make a connection, you will strive with the kids.
Great Environment
Teen Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Bainbridge, WAMay 11, 2017
While I was there I was a volunteer so I wasn't paid for my time but none the less it was a great place to be and to work. The staff members were very kind and accomidating towards one another and us volunteers. I would go back again if I could.
Summer Work Porgram
Maintenance Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tuba City, AZMay 11, 2017
The summer work program provided me a site that would show me skills in a career i was looking towards. The program also set me up with someone to job shadow which really helped learn the daily job duties of this job.
Productive and fun workplace
Youth Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSMay 11, 2017
Staff is really fun and nice. The kids are smart but sometimes there are behavior problems. The behavior procedure put in place does not always help the situation. Often times there is a big teacher to student ratio. Supplies is supplied and the director always challenges you to be more creative with programming. Sometimes the mandatory programming seems like a pain, but you have to get creative with delivering it because after school the kids would much rather unwind.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Little to no breaks
Integrity challenged organization - top leaders
Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 11, 2017
The mission is the saving grace and the motivation to hang in there. Incredible work done for youth. This is attributed to the incredible club and metro level leadership. However, the National office is a different story. Older black females do not have longevity. Don't leave a secure job with retirement or pension invested to work here if 40+.
Pros
Fully paid benefits by agency
Cons
Integrity of national office leadership

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Boys & Girls Clubs of America. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval