Boys & Girls Clubs of America Employee Reviews in United States

Found 2,898 reviews matching the search
Challenging job with little room for advancement
Activities coordinator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 14, 2016
The management team was lack luster and there was a break down of leadership during my time there. Also, the turnover rate for employees was pretty high and we had to continuously train new people
Enjoyable but not my cup of tea
Intern (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, DEJune 12, 2016
I did like Boys and Girls Club because it gave a chance to try and figure out what age group I wanted to eventually work with in my future career as an art therapist. It was a bit more like a babysitting gig in the long run though which I could easily do at home with my younger siblings. I would arrive before the kids got off the bus and would help them get settled in with their snacks and such proceeded by homework and entertaining the kids that had finished their homework or had no homework that day. Then, depending on the day, the kids would split off to do different activities during their free time and I bounced around from room to room every day I worked to get a feel for each activity and room setting. I enjoyed working alongside most of the staff and I adored working with the kids on different projects and such. The hardest part of the job was trying to juggle multiple activities at once. Being the new and friendly intern, all the young kids that warmed up to me wanted me involved in one thing or another, like I'll try helping one child with homework and three other kids would want me to play a game with them across the room. The easiest part was watching the kids during free time at the end of the day. During the last two or three hours of my day, the kids would hang out in the different rooms and I would observe and play with some of them until I had to head home for the night. Some days were better than others and if it weren't for the fact that my schedule became too hectic and the internship felt more like a babysitting job, I would've stayed there until at least  more... the end of my internship.  less
Pros
Working with kids, friendly coworkers, and friendly atomosphere
Cons
Multitasking is a must
fun place to work
camp staff (Former Employee) –  North Tonawanda, NYJune 12, 2016
i had real fun working here always an event or activity going on everyday but sadly it was only a summer time job and i had to find something more long term so that i could get more exp. in the work force
Greatest reward comes from the youth
Director of Teen Services (Current Employee) –  Venice, CAJune 12, 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job is the difference you make in the lives of the youth. The hardest part of the job is having to accommodate specific companies' grants requirements, having to do things last minute for donors, etc. In the end, the greatest gift is seeing how grateful these youth are and getting to see them grow into beautiful, caring, productive and responsible citizens.
Pros
free swag, amazing connections, networking
Cons
bad benefits, short breaks, little compensation, work comes home with you
Great Experience
COPA Instructor (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJune 11, 2016
Teach K-5th exercise including fun activities. How to live a healthy life style, worked along with LAUSD District, and in charge of the equipment.
great job with kids
receptionist (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 11, 2016
full day of work is good especially when you work kids that have a lot of energy . i learn a lot from the kids cause every school is different. the coworker are good and very friendly the hardest thing about the job is nothing everything is very easy. i enjoy working with kids .
Fun
Teen Staff (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 10, 2016
kids are a handful but staff brief you pretty well about how to deal with them and their parents and it is a very open and fun environment. If you don't like kids then don't take this job at all.
Pros
fun
Cons
Kids behaviors
Overworked & no work-life balance
Account Strategy & Development (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 10, 2016
BGCA has a reputation for no work/life balance and the work load is extreme. Management knows what work you have on your desk, and does nothing about it. Working on weekends, late nights, must get job done, whatever it takes. Resource development is a pressure cooker. Culture was never about the kids, only about the money raised. Positions are highly visible, and micro management is encouraged. Leadership turns their heads and does not address real problems; even though they know about them.
Productive place to work
Secretarial Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kenosha, WIJune 10, 2016
It was a summer job, it went by extremely fast and the work was fairly easy. The hardest part of the job was really avoiding paper cuts from mailing out or filing so many letters or papers.
Pros
Free lunches occasionally, Nice co-workers
Cons
Sitting most of the day
Great Place
Teen Program Leader (Current Employee) –  Newport, KYJune 10, 2016
You build relationships with the kids, and the staff gets along with everyone. Flexible hours and it's a fun learning and growing with the kids.
great staff and management
Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 9, 2016
the way the boys & girls clubs run their business is amazing. The make sure everybody is involved and having fun in each and every program they have. If I had the chance to work here again I definitely would.
It has it days
Program leader (Current Employee) –  Roslindale, MAJune 7, 2016
Working with children is the most enjoyable part.
There isn't much movement when it comes to growing with the organization and it feels as though workers are replaceable because the employer doesn't try to retain staff as much as it should.
Pros
Children ad my boss
Cons
Hours and Benefits
enjoys working with the kids
LCAP Aide (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJune 7, 2016
I learned the responsibility of supervision,as when /my supervision of after school activities.helping them with homework.management as I am responsible for safety duties.the management are courtios,advising me on career advancement oppurtunities.the hardest part of the job leaving the kids as it is summer,and I am off work during summer months.the most enjoyable part of the job is the aide/student intereaction the students refer to me as miss (my name)
Pros
rides to work from co workers
Cons
low hours which we're raised from 15 to 25 hours a week, then due to cutbacks back to 15 hours and no work in summer months
Fun workplace, but needed more communication between supervisor and employee
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Ramona, CAJune 7, 2016
I enjoyed most of the work I did at the Club. I especially enjoyed distributing snacks to the children. However, I didn't like having to unclog toilets.
Volunteer
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Whittier, CAJune 6, 2016
Set up gym for basketball games, make sure athletes had their jerserys. Set up the clock and the book. I also coached two basketball teams
Pros
working with kids
educational director
Assistant Unit and Educational Director (Former Employee) –  Panama City Beach, FLJune 5, 2016
• Perform general personnel functions, such as supervision, training, and scheduling.
• Data Entry in the system to have complete documentation for all the children in our care.
• I have created books on how to run the computer system to help other to do the same job when I am not available or once I move on for this position.
• Provide care for mentally disturbed, delinquent, or handicapped children.
• Organize and participate in recreational activities and outings, such as games and field trips.
• Organize and store toys and materials to ensure order in activity areas.
• Perform general administrative tasks, such as taking attendance, editing internal paperwork, and making phone calls.
• Keep records on individual children, including daily observations and information about activities, meals served, and medications administered.
• Communicate with children’s parents or guardians about daily activities, behaviors, and related issues.
• Maintain a safe play environment.
• Observe and monitor children’s play activities
Pros
Being able to help the kids
Cons
no breaks
It was ok for a college job.
YOUTH DEVELOPMENT STAFF (Former Employee) –  Murfreesboro, TNJune 4, 2016
It was nice working along with the younger children. The teens were very rude and did not want to listen because most of us were college age students. The pay was OK for a college student.
Good
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARJune 4, 2016
It is good place to work for a student attending college. It is a very fun and relaxing place to work. Although the pay isn't the best and you do not get many hours a week.
The only thing exciting are the students !
Program Aide (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 3, 2016
This organization has been around for many of years , and have contributed to a lot of successes in the world . However as the years change so do organizations , and this organization proved to be an embarrassment . They have a whistle blower policy , but it's only to protect them . Once you blow the whistle and they find out who you are . They will get rid of you !
Pros
Social events, promotions, facilities
Cons
Executive director and her staff
Fun place to work feels like Family
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Shelby Township, MIJune 2, 2016
My day at boy's & girl's club was fun. I could not wait to go to work. I would greet the members when they entered and take payments from the parents if needed. I would enter the information in the computer using kidtraxs. I would also answer the phone and answer any questions. On some days i would make bank deposits and do membership reports
Pros
make you feel like family
Cons
you are only alowed 1, 000.00 hrs a year

Boys & Girls Clubs of America Reviews by Job Title