Boys & Girls Clubs of America

Boys & Girls Clubs of America Employee Reviews

Found 3,301 reviews matching the search
Wonderful management and amazing coworkers
Clubhouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Togiak, AKSeptember 23, 2016
BGCA is by far the best place I've ever worked. The hours were flexible, the staff was amazing, and I was never discouraged or put down. My boss was kind, funny, and hard-working, and I never had a reason to complain. I doubt I'll ever have a job as fulfilling as this one has been.
Pros
Great management, healthy work environment, flexible hours, freedom to work as needed as long as the work got done on time
Cons
Part-time only in our area, always budgetary restraints because it's a non profit
Rewarding workplace
Program Leader (Current Employee) –  Sheboygan, WIAugust 18, 2016
I sign kids in and out of the Boys and Girls Club. During the entire day I interact with kids from problems they are having at home, homework, or something that had happened inside the Club. I am the first person that parents see and greet each and every child/parent that enters and exits the building. I take care of all the financials that come in from parents. I am also in charge of answering any phone calls that the Club gets.
Working at the Boys and Girls Club has been extremely rewarding. I enjoy watching the members grow and develop as individuals. The most rewarding experience that I have had so far was watching members struggle with something academically and then finally having their breakthrough moment of understanding. I have learned so much from the members especially patience and learning to understand and see things before coming to a conclusion.
Pros
Working with children, flexibility, fun work environment
Cons
Struggle to advance, upper management isn't as involved within the Club units
Positive Place for Kids & Teens
Youth Developer (Former Employee) –  Jesup, GAOctober 19, 2015
Unorganized work environment with poor management. The Boys & Girls Club of America was created to provide low-income children with a place to have fun, learn and have positive role models. The Boys & Girls Club of the Altamaha Area has positive role models, but they do not instill the positive aspects of life and responsibility into the children. This organization is all politics and whether or not you are well known in the community. The love you develop for the children sometimes overweights how pitifully this Boys and Girls Club is run. It is a great first job for someone who is learning the roles of a work environment but a career can not be made from here.
Pros
Developing a bond with the children
Cons
Poor management, no benefits, only part time youth developers
Good resume booster
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Erie, PADecember 27, 2016
Be ready to come up with activities for gym and art, and to set up. There is a game room where the kids can play games. There is a pool, but lifeguards are not always there, and you do not usually know that in advance, so be prepared to come up with something else to do. There are fun trips that you and the kids get to go on that are paid for, and lunch with them is fun.

I worked with the younger girls, and my co-worker who worked with the middle aged girls often teamed up with me. I cannot imagine working there without her, for she was a great help.
Beware of exploit
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CADecember 8, 2016
I really enjoy working with kids, but if you aren't firm management will definitely exploit you. I often found myself not getting credit where it was due, and asked to give more. The pay was not the same in an area nearby. You work with A LOT of kids. Sometimes the support isn't there.
Pros
Fun trips outside of site/kids
Cons
not enough support/ taking advantage of employees
somewhat productive, and fun
Program Aide (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 15, 2017
This is a good line of work if you are interested with working with children from a variety of ages. the work environment can be good or bad depending on your co workers and the children you work with. The best way to deal with the atmosphere is if you always have a positive attitude, because everything works out better if you have a positive attitude. Even if you are having a bad day you can not let the children see that because they rely on you to play with them and maybe even look up to you as a role model.
One of the best jobs I ever had
CHILD DEVELOPMENT SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Lorain, OHDecember 24, 2016
Awesome co-workers and great boss. Very willing to work with and train their employees. I would definitely recommend this company to anyone who loves working with children or is interested in going into a childcare career.
Pros
Great experience and co-workers
Cons
Not enough hours
fun workplace
3 Month Internship (Former Employee) –  1900 W. 5TH St. Oxnard,Ca.February 8, 2017
working at The Boys&Girls club
was a very important opportunity for me
a typical day at work
would consist of me supervising the children,being a program supervisor,handing them their daily snacks,or being an arts&crafts supervisor.
i loved working there,the environment was very positive
and of course educational for the children.
the most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work with the children and working with my positive
and sweet coworkers.
Pros
A very positive environment
mentor
K-8 Mentor (Former Employee) –  Menlo Park, CADecember 13, 2016
working for this organization was alright, management doesn't really listen to what employs have to say. pay is low for all the work that you are required to do.
Fun and Productive Workplace
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZJanuary 28, 2017
Productive and fun workplace.Everyone works together and it's a stress free environment. It contains lots of activities that allow the children to bond and learn as well. There are many different clubs and groups you can get involved in such as (art club, spots teams, organizations etc.) There motto is always put the children/others first and that's exactly what they do. I attended there as a child and grew up going there and once I turned 16 years old I started doing volunteer work for them and staying busy. It was a good work experience I really enjoyed it,although I didn't get payed and worked long hours it was definitely worth it in the end. I got many other offers due to my performance and skills and also worked well with the children and cooperated with whatever the parents needs and circumstances were. I was employed by two people who use to look after me while I attended the Boys&Girls Club. Evelia and Alex Garza were my employers and are currently still the head of the Glendale Boys&Girls Club of Metropolitan. It was definitely a good experience ,it taught me many skills and lessons for the real world,and allowed me to use what I already knew and the qualities I have for my working experience. If I had the chance to work there again I would go back for sure. That club is one of the best known too for its success and interacting with the children.
Pros
Free lunches, funded clubs, other organizations
Cons
Healthcare, long hours
program lead
Program Director Internship (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 21, 2016
This company is a great company to start for if you are looking to get experience. I have been here for 2 years and some months and it has been a great experience and I have learned a lot about data management and just how to first serve members.
Productive work place
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAOctober 17, 2016
I learned the responsibility to help children with their school work. I learned how to communicate with others more often now, and learned how to talk to adults more frequently. I helped clean up things after the children left. Learned how to take the responsibility in having a job that i could work with others. My co-workers and management were all very nice and respectful people.
Pros
Free lunches/snacks.
Cons
N/A
It was and okay job
Boys and Girls Club Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Kenosha, WIJanuary 22, 2017
It was a good job it taught me to not give up when hard work comes your way. I had to lift heavy stuff in the summer weather . I liked the job it just wasn't really for me and plus I was 14 years old when I worked there. Over all it was a very good first job and learning experience.
Pros
Free lunch and good people to work with.
Cons
No healthcare and bad pay
Productive and Independent workplace with guidance
Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 19, 2016
A typical work day requires flexibility at all time in personal schedule with programs and times. I learned to think on the spot and adapt very quickly based on the needs of the members as well as other staff and the building. Management styles are different from club to club and management does not always truly understand what the front line staff does. I have a healthy relationship with my co-workers but feel that some people should not be in the position in which they are. The hardest part of the job is serving a variety of ages of youth without giving them too much structure. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with youth and being able to help them succeed in the club, school, and in life.
Exciting work environment
Youth Recreation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Box Elder, MTJanuary 21, 2016
This job was a grant position, where the grant only lasted for a one year period. Each day I prepared after school activities for the children. My co-workers were involved with the activities. I truly enjoyed working with the community and the children. The hardest part of my job was finding the funding to keep the facility open.
Pros
Worked with a diversity of children
Cons
No benefits and no room for advancement
Fun productive workplace for the passionate employee
YOUTH DEVELOPMENT WORKER (Former Employee) –  Maryville, TNJanuary 9, 2017
Poor pay but if you have a love for working with kids it is the best job around. Decent advancement opportunities as well in the bigger cities.
Bad Culture; low salaries for middle managers
Area Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 31, 2016
Not a good place to work, constantly in budget crisis. In addition, there is conclusion by upper management to phase out educated minorities. Therefore the high end salaries are reserved for the CEO, CFO, Vice President of Youth Development and Human Resources.
Pros
Working with young people
Cons
Low salaries, no opportunity for growth, no respect or loyatly
Boys and Girld Club
Assistant Program Director and Teen Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Adrian, MINovember 21, 2016
Boys and girls Club haves a great mission. The club gives young kids an opportunity to grow, have fun, and be in a safe environment.However management was an issue for me. There was a lot of favoritism with in the different clubs that effected the work environment that eventually trickled down to the members.
Positive Place for Kids
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMay 6, 2016
A typical day at work:
11am-2pm: Data entries, answering phone calls, helping parents (if any), Deposits (on Fridays), respond to emails, helping other staff members to clock in, filing, and helping unit director (if needed).
2pm-7pm: Manage the front by answering phone calls, helping parents register in programs, managing money, securing the front, making sure every youth signs in, call kids when parents come to pick them up, and making sure parents don't pass the front. Call directors to relieve me if I need to use the restroom, call making sure no youth leaves without a parent, leaving once the last kid leaves and lock up.
I've learned that my job is really a 2-person job, but I still manage to get through, day by day with support by my co-workers. The peak of my days are those days where there's a line of impatient parents waiting to register or pick up their kids, phone is non-stop ringing, kids are waiting for me to release them, kids are asking questions, and no one is around to support. Not once in clubhouse are we ever fully staffed, but that's why our Unit and Program Directors make sure to hire the strongest.
The most enjoyable part of the job, is witnessing our youth grow up and turning into leaders and hearing from parents that we are making a difference.
Pros
Hanging out with amazing kids, hearing great compliments from parents, witnessing youth experience their firsts, benefits okay.
Cons
no breaks, always short staffed, constant complaints of low-payroll, and the feeling of needing help and no one is around to do so.
volunteering work
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXJanuary 25, 2017
typical day would be watching after the kids there in the program. helping them with whatever they needed such as homework or reading as well as helping management and staff run the facility and clean at the end.
Pros
playing sports with the kids.
Cons
hot days in the gym. and some of the kids had bad breath

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Boys & Girls Clubs of America. Our community is ready to answer.

Boys & Girls Clubs of America Reviews by Job Title