Boys Town Employee Reviews

Great support environment
In Home Family Consultant (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 24, 2017
I enjoy working for the company. The job can become very overwhelming at times, for there are many different parts that need to be addressed. Documentation is endless.
Pros
great team work
Cons
can become overwhelming with direct support and documentation
Great place to work!
Sumer Youth Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEFebruary 27, 2017
Working with at risk youth using the Boys Town teaching model as well as providing them with job skills. The hardest part of the job was having to say goodbye at the end of the summer.
Family Teacher
Family Teacher (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 23, 2015
Most challenging, yet most rewarding job ever experienced. Worked with teenagers who had behavioral concerns but had the most positive and supportive experience with administration and upper management. Youth and families are first and the organization truly cares about helping heal families.
Pros
Opportunity for advancement and supportive management, great benefits
Cons
Way of life - No free time, competitive but still non-profit pay
Fun and enriching work environment
Assistant Swim Coach, Open Recreation Aide (Former Employee) –  Boys Town, NEAugust 1, 2016
Working at Boys Town has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my adult life. It is refreshing to work with a group of coworkers who are all similar in that they sincerely care about creating positive experiences for youth as part of the Boys Town staff. The hardest part of this job is dealing with negative behaviors by the youth, but interacting with other staff and family teachers ultimately taught me the skills I needed to appropriately handle those difficult situations.
Pros
Fulfilling work, interacting with children
Cons
Can be emotionally draining at times
Company does great work for youth
Care Coordination Services Consultant (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LASeptember 15, 2016
The youth and families served have great opportunities for advancement and betterment. This organization is a national organization that works with at risk youth and families
Fast paced working environment working with at-risk teenagers.
Youth Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Oviedo, FLJune 13, 2015
The typical day of work consists of working with at-risk youth in a youth shelter. My job title is a Youth Care Worker. I work with approximately twenty other Youth Care Workers and several Supervisors. The hardest part of this job is being able to build relationships with some of the youth that arrive at the shelter. Some of these youth stay anywhere from 7 to 30 days. Building relationships is difficult with a short time frame. The most enjoyable part of this job is being able to make a difference in the lives of some of these youth. Our overall mission at Boys Town is to teach youth appropriate social skills so that they may be successful transitioning into society and so that these youth can be reunited with their families as well.
Pros
Amazing Benefits
Cons
N/A
Good
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 15, 2016
This place is wonderful so many opportunities! I met so many people and everyone was very welcoming and open to answering all my questions
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Great experience working with children
Foster Parent (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 31, 2016
Worked as a foster parent in a home owned by Boystown. Loved what i did but had a lot of children to care for. (6) was max. Plus mine. Love working with children but needed a break.
Pros
changing children's lives
Cons
no free time
Feedback geared
Crisis Counselor (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEJuly 29, 2015
Boys Town is a refreshing work environment where the management encourages suggestions and ideas on how to improve the workplace and functionality of job duties. The focus on providing positive and negative feedback instead of only pointing out flaws or limitations.
Pros
amazing benefits
Cons
non-profit pay rates
Good place to work for
Assistant Family Teacher (Former Employee) –  Boystown, NENovember 9, 2015
Boys Town is a good company to work for and I enjoyed my time there. the benefits at Boys Town are some of the best in the country.
Terrible management
Youth Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEMay 3, 2014
The kids are wonderful--challenging, but wonderful. The management is the worst I have worked with in 30 years of employment. Turnover is 50% this year alone. The kids would make the ridiculously low wages worthwhile, if management didn't bring morale down so badly. Benefits are truly wonderful and is the sticking point for many who stay.
Benefits
Cons
Worst management ever
Great place to work and they really care about the kids
Fieldhouse Staff (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEApril 30, 2016
This was a great job! They do a really good job training and it was a lot of fun. They really care that the kids are getting help and have the best model I have ever seen working with mental and behavioral health in children.
Pros
great model, good training, good management
Cons
Can be stressful working with kids who have behavioral issues
ok
Senior Youth Care Worker (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 18, 2016
•the hardest part of the job is feeling burnt out with no breaks
•the most enjoyable part of the job is having fun with the kids
Boys Town
Case Planner (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 9, 2016
You have the opportunity to practice your spirituality in the organization and passes it on to your clients when needed
Pros
Has opportunity to be promoted within the agency
Cons
Poor communication among co-workers
This is no traditional job. Never a dull moment as a family teacher
FAMILY TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 9, 2016
Boys Town is a great non-profit with a rich heritage. You get an opportunity to work with inner city youth with severe behavioral issues.
Pros
Free housing
Very Nice
Computer Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 26, 2013
The benefits are great and the IT staff is full of knowledgeable people in a supportive environment.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Not much growth salary-wise and facilities could use updating.
Love the kids, but the management is awful
Family Teacher (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, RIMay 22, 2014
This has been by far one of the hardest and most rewarding job I've ever held. The kids that come in are challenging, but when you see change happen it's a beautiful thing. The model of care they teach you in Omaha is kinda silly and sometimes seems a little ridiculous. However, when a youth is noncompliant the skills and steps they teach you really benefit.

In the negative, the management is one of the worse I have ever seen in my career history. They make decisions without preparing how to handle the change. Those running the family homes (family teachers and the assistant family teachers) have to clean up the messes from upper management. There is a huge separation from the family home program and the administration. Personally, I have had my personnel issues discussed with other office staff that have no direct relation or business knowing my personal or personnel issues.

There is poor planning that takes place. Issues aren't appropriately thought through and it ends up effecting the care and happiness of not only the staff, but the youth and children. They place kids that have too severe behavior in the family home and don't have the means or resources to care for them.
Because employee turn over is so high this also effects campus morale. They terminate employees for bogus reasons or they end up allowing severe issues to continue for years.

The health benefits are pretty good although they don't pay for contraceptives. However for family teachers that live in the home they actually limit the amount of birth children you can have living with you. Another great
  more... benefit is the rent free living - however in my opinion it doesn't cover the price you pay to sacrifice your time and life you dedicate to daily live with your job.

Management come to your home unannounced. They call you with last inure requests and expect you to fulfill it right away. They will request that you do things that are outside of your duties because of a clause in your contract of "and other duties as assigned by your supervisor". If you refuse you will be then reviewed as insubordinate and unprofessional.

Overall this has been one of the worst companies I've ever worked for. Also, if you don't have at least a bachelors degree you have no career advancement opportunities.
Pros
90% of meals are in the home, no living expenses, health benefits, the kids
Cons
Management, no job/life separation, no career advancement
Rewarding workplace with opportunities to change lives of teenagers.
YOUTH CARE WORKER (Current Employee) –  Grand Island NEMay 27, 2015
I have learned a lot about myself and what I am able to accomplish through my 2 years working with Boys Town. The management is very professional, supportive and helpful when times are tough at work and in your life. My co-workers are like my family at work. We are all a team and a supportive team is needed when working with the clientele that we work with. The hardest part of the job is that it can be very mentally and emotionally demanding, which is why a supportive team is needed to help each other out. The most enjoyable part of the job is the ability to change the lives of troubled youth and have a positive impact on them.
Pros
A positive impact on the lives of teens, supportive staff and very helpful, not physically demanding
Cons
mentally and emotionally demanding
great
Volunteer Teacher (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 7, 2016
I am working with two other college students to teach kids creative writing. We were able to come i an hour a week to complete exercises and activities that would help the kids have a better understanding and enjoyment of writinf
Structured Work Environment
Assistant Family Teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 2, 2015
Highly committed to the development of youth on an educational and behavioral level. Very relaxed work environment in which management and employees are always communicating and seeing eye to eye. Very focused on the development of staff just as much as the youth. All experiences are learning experiences. The understanding of the importance of a functional family life, both in the workplace and out is what, I believe makes them a very prestigious workplace.
Pros
plenty of downtime and support from staff
Cons
required hours dedicated to certain positions

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Boys Town. Our community is ready to answer.