Boys Town

Boys Town Employee Reviews

busy and productive
Internship (Former Employee) –  Boys Town, NENovember 10, 2015
it was a fun work place you come in talk to your manager for what you had to do for the day and you got it done if you had any questions they where always there to help
Pros
easy
Cons
short breaks, under staffed
Good place to work for
Assistant Family Teacher (Former Employee) –  Boystown, NENovember 9, 2015
Boys Town is a good company to work for and I enjoyed my time there. the benefits at Boys Town are some of the best in the country.
Family Teacher
Family Teacher (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 23, 2015
Most challenging, yet most rewarding job ever experienced. Worked with teenagers who had behavioral concerns but had the most positive and supportive experience with administration and upper management. Youth and families are first and the organization truly cares about helping heal families.
Pros
Opportunity for advancement and supportive management, great benefits
Cons
Way of life - No free time, competitive but still non-profit pay
good
Assistant Family Teacher (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 17, 2015
It was hard to have a social life. They were very flexible when I needed days off. The kids are great and the people were good to work for.
Feedback geared
Crisis Counselor (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEJuly 29, 2015
Boys Town is a refreshing work environment where the management encourages suggestions and ideas on how to improve the workplace and functionality of job duties. The focus on providing positive and negative feedback instead of only pointing out flaws or limitations.
Pros
amazing benefits
Cons
non-profit pay rates
Structured Work Environment
Assistant Family Teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 2, 2015
Highly committed to the development of youth on an educational and behavioral level. Very relaxed work environment in which management and employees are always communicating and seeing eye to eye. Very focused on the development of staff just as much as the youth. All experiences are learning experiences. The understanding of the importance of a functional family life, both in the workplace and out is what, I believe makes them a very prestigious workplace.
Pros
plenty of downtime and support from staff
Cons
required hours dedicated to certain positions
A place that appricated their staff
Assistant Family Teacher (Current Employee) –  Astoria, NYJuly 1, 2015
A typical day at work is transporting the youth review case plan for youth and detail the daiily progress o ACS. Also help youth maintain relationships
with youth and their families
Pros
buliding relationships with youth
Cons
communication not the best among staff
Fun workplace
Mentor (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJune 18, 2015
University offers diversity. I enjoyed working in this educational environment. The people are friendly, the environment is fun and I would return here again.
Pros
Educational opportunities available
Cons
short breaks
Fast paced working environment working with at-risk teenagers.
Youth Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Oviedo, FLJune 13, 2015
The typical day of work consists of working with at-risk youth in a youth shelter. My job title is a Youth Care Worker. I work with approximately twenty other Youth Care Workers and several Supervisors. The hardest part of this job is being able to build relationships with some of the youth that arrive at the shelter. Some of these youth stay anywhere from 7 to 30 days. Building relationships is difficult with a short time frame. The most enjoyable part of this job is being able to make a difference in the lives of some of these youth. Our overall mission at Boys Town is to teach youth appropriate social skills so that they may be successful transitioning into society and so that these youth can be reunited with their families as well.
Pros
Amazing Benefits
Cons
N/A
Rewarding workplace with opportunities to change lives of teenagers.
YOUTH CARE WORKER (Current Employee) –  Grand Island NEMay 27, 2015
I have learned a lot about myself and what I am able to accomplish through my 2 years working with Boys Town. The management is very professional, supportive and helpful when times are tough at work and in your life. My co-workers are like my family at work. We are all a team and a supportive team is needed when working with the clientele that we work with. The hardest part of the job is that it can be very mentally and emotionally demanding, which is why a supportive team is needed to help each other out. The most enjoyable part of the job is the ability to change the lives of troubled youth and have a positive impact on them.
Pros
A positive impact on the lives of teens, supportive staff and very helpful, not physically demanding
Cons
mentally and emotionally demanding
Not so good
Family Teaching Couple (Former Employee) –  Boys Town, NEApril 29, 2015
I could not get away from this job fast enough. Management was not so good and the position requirements were unrealistic and I did not believe in their model of care. Now I am doing the same type of work in a different agency and loving it.
Great place for kids in need
Consultant Enhanced Family Homes (Former Employee) –  Boys Town NEApril 22, 2015
Boys Town does wonderful work for youth and families. I learned management skills and by working in 3 different departments, I learned the ins and outs of foster care, in home family service, and consultant duties. As a consultant, the most difficult part of the job was being on call 24/7
Pros
Healthcare, free medications at the clinic, great co-workers
Cons
Being on call
A wonderful family oriented organization
Care Coordination Consultant (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 19, 2015
One of the best organizationsI have ever had the pleasure of working for.
Company encourages growth within their employers, and promotes within before advertising positions to the public.
Wonderful Work Environment
Overnight Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Boys Town, NEApril 9, 2015
Clarmar is a wonderful place to work. The teachers are friendly, the classroom sizes were not overly big. Each teacher has their own style and you can tell the children love the variety it provides. You can tell the staff care about the children and want to help them grow and learn.
fun
Youth care worker (Former Employee) –  Boystown, NEOctober 23, 2014
was a blast working with the youth was a blast and the co workers great
Productive and Good work place
Youth Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJune 27, 2014
Boys Town is a great company to work for if your passion is working with children ages 12-17
Love the kids, but the management is awful
Family Teacher (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, RIMay 22, 2014
This has been by far one of the hardest and most rewarding job I've ever held. The kids that come in are challenging, but when you see change happen it's a beautiful thing. The model of care they teach you in Omaha is kinda silly and sometimes seems a little ridiculous. However, when a youth is noncompliant the skills and steps they teach you really benefit.

In the negative, the management is one of the worse I have ever seen in my career history. They make decisions without preparing how to handle the change. Those running the family homes (family teachers and the assistant family teachers) have to clean up the messes from upper management. There is a huge separation from the family home program and the administration. Personally, I have had my personnel issues discussed with other office staff that have no direct relation or business knowing my personal or personnel issues.

There is poor planning that takes place. Issues aren't appropriately thought through and it ends up effecting the care and happiness of not only the staff, but the youth and children. They place kids that have too severe behavior in the family home and don't have the means or resources to care for them.
Because employee turn over is so high this also effects campus morale. They terminate employees for bogus reasons or they end up allowing severe issues to continue for years.

The health benefits are pretty good although they don't pay for contraceptives. However for family teachers that live in the home they actually limit the amount of birth children you can have living with you. Another great benefit
  more... is the rent free living - however in my opinion it doesn't cover the price you pay to sacrifice your time and life you dedicate to daily live with your job.

Management come to your home unannounced. They call you with last inure requests and expect you to fulfill it right away. They will request that you do things that are outside of your duties because of a clause in your contract of "and other duties as assigned by your supervisor". If you refuse you will be then reviewed as insubordinate and unprofessional.

Overall this has been one of the worst companies I've ever worked for. Also, if you don't have at least a bachelors degree you have no career advancement opportunities.
Pros
90% of meals are in the home, no living expenses, health benefits, the kids
Cons
management, no job/life separation, no career advancement
Terrible management
Youth Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEMay 3, 2014
The kids are wonderful--challenging, but wonderful. The management is the worst I have worked with in 30 years of employment. Turnover is 50% this year alone. The kids would make the ridiculously low wages worthwhile, if management didn't bring morale down so badly. Benefits are truly wonderful and is the sticking point for many who stay.
benefits
Cons
worst management ever
Great place to work with youth but no room for advancement
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 30, 2014
My typical day consisted of monitoring youth and providing a safe and fun environment. Also communicating with other agencies in regards to the youth's progress, transporting youth, cooking, attending court, participating in various meetings. The best part of the job is working with the youth. The only downfall is some leaders have a tendency to show favoritism and will not advocate for you when it comes to advancement.
Pros
working with the youth, free meals, outings
Cons
no breaks, favoritism
great place to work
Youth Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Oviedo, FLApril 22, 2014
Lo ve working with children. You get the chance to impact children from all over.
Pros
building relationships with children
Cons
very short breaks