Boys and Girls Harbor Employee Reviews

Performing arts instructor
Performing Arts Instructor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 23, 2016
The community served by The Harbor is in great need of affordable performing arts classes, accessible to children an adults. It is very sad that the executive leadership of The Harbor is terribly unprofessional and disrespectful towards their teaching staff. Dirty rooms lacking the proper materials to teach are the norm. There is no training or advancement opportunities and they like to post part time positions to deny their employees the opportunity to have benefits. It is a disgustingly ran "non profit" and the executive director has a God complex like no other. If you can afford to not work here, run. Run very far. Very ungrateful and vile employer.
Pros
No pros. Well, students are pretty awesome, you always learn something.
Cons
Executive director, executive leadership, pay, no benefits, no training, no perks, no advancement opportunities.
productive and always have something to do
helper (Current Employee) –  La Porte, TXJune 13, 2016
its a great place to work.. and I also lived here for 5 years. I always have something to do I'm always busy I work two hoursd a day for $10 an hour I'm a helper here at the boys and girls harbor.
Pros
free lunch
Exciting and productive envrionmnet working with youths
Facilitator of Program Components (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 29, 2015
A typical day at Boys and Girls Harbor is being greeted by your peers and members of The organization, follow the curriculum that's prepared for day for the youth which includes paperwork, networking and meetings but finally when it is time to work with the children that's the most rewarding time of the day. what I have learned from management is how to strive for excellence and challenge yourself to do and learn more (what you take in is what you give out) There's no hard part of working at Boys and Girls Habor, it's very simple do your job and do it well and that's what every employee mind set is there no matter what job postion they hold.
Pros
educative, challenging, workplace
Cons
Every now and then you must take a mental health day
Productive and an amazing place to learn about the kitchen.
Temporary Assistant Cook (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 1, 2013
Walking into the kitchen, every morning at 6:50 to start preparing for the day was the highlight of my time there. To begin, the menu was fairly easy to remember, it would repeat itself every three (3) weeks, sometimes there would be changes, but the changes were always beneficial to the students there. Everyone who works there, even on the same floor, were super nice, and genuine. My then co-workers were serious when needed, and would joke about many things, but what was always on their, and my mind, were the children, and how happy they were getting good quality food. The hardest part of the job, was my very first day there. It was overwhelming, and a wake-up call for me personally. Cooking for approximately 250 kids was something new to me, but I eventually got through it. It was the best time of my life, working there, even if it was temporary.
Student oriented organization
Conservatory Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 14, 2013
Excellent Administrative team, goal oriented Executive Director
Busy high school office in east harlem
Fiscal Clerk (Former Employee) –  newyork nyApril 16, 2013
not enough hours or pay. arranging and conducting parent teacher conferences for parents and students. making meetings for board of directors.
Pros
free classes
Cons
not enough pay.
Summer Youth
Clerical Aide (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 25, 2012
I had attended the afterschool and summer program here so it was easy to fit in and land the summer youth position. It was my preperation for the real world of working and I will always be appreciative of that.
Pros
very comfortable, fun, learning experience.
Cons
n/a

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Boys and Girls Harbor. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3