Brainfuse Employee Reviews

Lacks as a company
Writing Tutor (Current Employee) –  RemoteMay 20, 2017
Lack of assistance, lack of pay, lack of support, lack of reassurance, lack of respect, and lack of management. They do not understand the abuse tutors get from students and no matter what, you will be blamed.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Abusive environment. Stressful and lacks support from team members.
Not worth it
Tutor (Former Employee) –  RemoteApril 30, 2017
Not a disgruntled employee but I'm just being completely honest. The kids review you. I'm talking mostly high school kids who don't want to do their work. Most aren't interested in knowing why something is wrong or how to learn. They just want you to do their work. And if you don't do it? The buggers leave you a bad review. What happens then is the management bugs you because the kids complain you didn't do their work for them. But then management will say NOT to do their work..... Get my drift? It's a pointless cycle. For $12 an hour? Come on. You can make more serving burgers at a diner. I was told $14 but then when payday came it was $12. But then again the on boarding and interview was non existent. You literally tell them you went to college, take easy bs online tests and BOOM you're now qualified.. No biggie as this was a side gig and I quit but just being real about it. If you have any kind of degree go ahead and do yourself a favor and find something that is more legit.
Pros
remote, choose hours
Cons
everything else.. no benefits, low class clientele, management whose only job is to reprimand and hire new workers
Company is trash, "students" are lazy af!
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 24, 2017
Every other negative review is spot on. Students want tutors to do their work for them, and you have to walk a line between violating company policy and actually helping students. Schedule changes with no warning, expected to "tutor" multiple students with no change in pay. Horrible communication from management. The customer is always right, so even when you follow the "company" rules, you may get in trouble. Writing lab is backlogged by MONTHS. But then when students come into live sessions and ask you to review a paper, it's supposed to done in 15 minutes.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Everything else
Horrible job
Writing Tutor/Reviewer (Former Employee) –  OnlineApril 6, 2017
I do not recommend anybody for this job, especially as a writing reviewer. You are seriously underpaid for the amount of work you have to do. I was only making 12 dollars an hour, which is average when compared to other online tutoring jobs. However, as a writing reviewer, you are not actually tutoring. You are literally reviewing students' papers, but you are only allowed thirty minutes, which is not nearly enough time to do quality work. They expect you to fill out this lengthy worksheet as well as provide feedback in students papers, which would take me over an hour to complete depending on the student, the length of paper and the quality of student's writings. So in reality, you are only making 6 dollars an hour, sometimes even less. Many of the students don't really tell you what they need help with, they just upload their writing assignments. The majority of the time you don't even know what grade their in. If students don't like what you provided for them, they will make a complaint and brainfuse will take their side over yours. Brainfuse will only contact you if received a complaint and will threaten to terminate you. even if the complaint is very minor or pointless. The majority of the time I didn't do anything wrong, but because I got a complaint from a student, brainfuse still emailed say they would terminate me. I never received positive feedback from the company even though I had students email me saying thank you for their help. This is the worst job I ever had!

*Brainfuse first needs to allow tutors up to 2 hours to review students' papers, depending on
  more... the length and the quality of paper. There were some papers that I reviewed that were over 10 pages long. Many of students' papers needed much work. Many couldn't even write a complete sentence or even add periods. I wasn't sure if they were just being lazy and didn't care or really didn't know how to structure an essay.

*Brainfuse needs to give positive feedback to tutors and actually reach out and talk to them. Give personal emails or actually call the tutors and ask how they are doing.

*Brainfuse shouldn't just take the students word, but also contact a tutor and ask their side of the student's complaint. They also shouldn't worry about very minor complaints.

*Brainfuse should enforce that all students specifically explain what they want or need help with to tutors better. They should never just upload a writing assignment and expect a tutor to review it. Brainfuse should actually monitor this because student do this the majority of the time.
Zero feedback=quick termination
Paper Reviewer (Former Employee) –  Work at homeApril 6, 2017
This company has VERY limited information and training for what they expect from writing tutors. As a writing tutor, clients submit a paper to you. There is very little direction of how to respond to the paper except a general form. So you do your best to provide quality feedback through this form given the short amount of time available to provide comments. You send the comments to the client and you never hear anything about it again. There is no feedback from Brainfuse or the clients about how your review is received, whether it was helpful, etc. Then, one day an email comes that says there have been client complaints and they can no longer work with you. No explanation of what the complaints were, nor any opportunity to correct the way you review papers. NOT a good business model. As someone who has been writing for 20 years with proficiency in APA style, I was offended to be treated this way.
Work at your own risk, WORST JOB EVER!
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Work at HomeNovember 30, 2016
This is the worst job I ever had. Tutors are not valued and can be fired at any time. One day you way up, the next day they can send you an email stating that you are FIRED. Students complain about everything. If you do not give students answers or do their work for them, they will complain and you will be on Warning. All sessions are monitored 24/7 and recorded. If they see that you gave students the answer or did the work for them they will terminate you.

If you are looking for job security, benefits, and great managers... THIS IS NOT THE JOB FOR YOU. Tutors are not treated right, and every day you will receive emailed complaints from different departments on what you did wrong. Do not think about having bathroom breaks. You tutor for the amount of hours that was given without breaks.

The hardest part of the job was everything. The moment I got the job until my last day. The most enjoyable part of the job..... (NO RESPONSE) Good luck, you will need it!
Pros
Work at Home
Cons
No benefits, no job security, rudeness, Workers, Clients
Don't waste your time
Teacher (Former Employee) –  DallasOctober 5, 2016
Brainfuse wants you to tutor multiple students at one time. They treat the tutors like garbage and take all complaints from students at face value. I couldn't tell if students were just lazy or had a learning disability. It's too hard to tell online.
Pros
Pay was ok
Cons
The format. Leadership. The idea of Brainfuse in general
Not very effictive
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Hart, MIAugust 3, 2016
The short time I worked with this company was not very satisfying, the time online was not very rewarding, nor were there many opportunities to work.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Not much work, low pay
A Learnign Experience
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 9, 2015
My position was as an unpaid intern in which I worked out of my home. I did not experience what the entire company was like since my only communication was with my manager. The experience I had was excellent and I learned a lot along the way in regards to what was expected for printed materials and the file formats required.

The most difficult part was working from home. Not because I was lazy, although I can be at times, but the communication was difficult at times. Since my manager was not available at all times I had to wait for answers, which taught me to plan ahead and to think about what I might need before I started working on a specific project. I learned that there was no such thing as too many questions in such situations.
Pros
A great learning experience!
Cons
I had no oppurtunity for the position to become permanent which I would have loved.
Great part time as you want to job
Online Tutor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 13, 2015
Great support in their monitors for help. Direct deposit pay. You can choose scheduled shifts or as you want. on unscheduled time you only get paid for actual tutoring time.
Pros
great part time as you want job, great support in monitors
Cons
Flexible schedule, but the company sucks
Essay Editor (Current Employee) –  New York, New YorkMay 19, 2015
I enjoy being able to choose when and how much I work, but the company is negative, hard to reach with problems, and inconsistent with training. The students can be OK, but for the most part they are bratty and entitled. I only get $10 per hour for extensive essay review, which is really low, but the plus side is there is steady work for nine months out of the year.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
nonsuportive company, no benefits, low pay
Worked at computer through tutor application
Tutor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 14, 2013
I would tutor math to people from grade 1 up to differential equations.
Pros
At home work
Cons
Odd hours
Horrible support/students, great everything else
Tutor (Current Employee) –  OnlineMay 6, 2013
Turn on your favorite show that you don't need to pay attention on, open a bottle of wine or some beers and you should be good to go for about 2-3 hours before the job gets under your skin.

Students: a.k.a. what students?

I only do instant staffing, which means I tutor studentS during a live session. You get paid the same regardless of how many students you are dealing with, but you are expected to perform the same. That being said, the students aren't real students. I've done a lot of face to face teaching and tutoring for my subjects and have never encountered anyone I could not pacify or handle. These kids are monsters. They want everything short of help. They have a 10 page paper due in 90 minutes, they have 1 page completed, they want you to do the rest. It's against the policy for you to do this, or to give them any answers but most tutors do it anyway just to pacify the students (I have looked over the logs of the most popular tutors who are constantly requested). Keep the student happy, do not mention anything about the company and the company will never care what 'help' you provide. If the student is not happy, you will be the bad guy in every case. Then they will cut your hours, so either succumb to it or don't. I did and it's been going pretty well. You end up spotting major leaks and problems with writing and the company has a ton of sources for you to help the students with those leaks but because the students ONLY want answers to their specific issues, if you simply tell them "hey that's a run on, here's how you can fix it," you end up with
  more... a happy student vs. "hey, it looks like you don't understand how run ons work, let's load a lesson on them." It's been progressively worse over the past year (the company just got sued and settled, this may have had something to do with it, they also opened a lot of extra access in new areas). I would say about 1 out of 5 of my highschool+ students do not know basic English (i.e. what is a subject, what is a verb); about 1 out of 10 cannot speak English and are using this company as a way to learn it. About 3 out of 5 or 4 out of 5 are failing (often they will tell you this), and you are the person they take their anger out on. The only thing you can/have to do is 'ignore' them or you are fired.

The company

They have government grants and you are replaceable. That about sums up how you should expect to be treated. They provide no training and the only feedback you get from them is after you slip up and say something about their policy. Everything else doesn't matter. I've literally made up answers to test this and no one noticed. You have 'supervisors' who monitor you for quality, but they don't. Their only job is to sit there and basically move students around and deal with issues/explain how to handle all the rude students when something comes up. I've had a monitor admit to me that they do not receive the same policy change emails and in fact that particular monitor knew nothing about policy. I've had monitors contradict each other with answers on what to do, I've monitors who needed to contact other monitors, it's a slug fest. And you are the brunt of the litter. While all this is happening you have 2-3 students asking you to review 5-15 page documents. The company doesn't care because if you don't want to work anymore there are about 1000 others who will take your place immediately. In today's market getting hired for an online entry-level job is very difficult and they exploit this incredibly well. If you can get past the hang ups... well:

The job

Sit back, skype with friends, get drunk, randomly log off when you're annoyed, play video games, watch movies/shows/whatever, do anything you want. You might say but isn't every online non-face-to-face job like that? No, because here your answers do not need to be correct nor are you supposed to give them. Your only job is to keep out of the company's way and make the student smile. Finish every sentence with a smiley face and you will be re-requested. Dealing with students and the company is frustrating but the job itself can be done by anyone so much so that I trained one of my girlfriends to do it in about one hour. So much so that I have done it once without having MS Office installed and only pretended to read the documents and was still able to put in a full 5 hours. If you really want to teach others (like I do), this is not the environment where you will do this. You will not tutor nor teach nor help. You will simply provide superficial observations. The 'best' tutors (the ones who are requested the most) based on the logs I've read do exactly that. I'm personally still perfecting the system but I noticed that smiley faces and exclamation points go a long way. You're super excited to teach them nothing today! :) The student walks away happy, the company is happy, and your brain is happy. It DOES drain your spirit if you're a teacher like I am, but it is very very easy. Each kid that comes to me, I really want to help, but no one wants the help, and it saddens me because that's probably how it works in the public school system from where these students come (the company for some reason allows you to see where they log in from, district, library, etc.).

I really should stress this but the pay sounds cool until you learn that you are going to handle more than 1 student at a time. You STILL get the same pay and the students CANNOT know that you are dealing with 2 others. So the company is making 3x, while you still get your regular hourly rate. This part really sucks.
Pros
Easy money for virtually no work
Cons
The students and the company.
Great place for extra income
tutor (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville FloridaMarch 20, 2013
The management can be demanding but it's a great place to work. You don't get a lot of hours in the beginning but if you work for a while and prove yourself, this gets better. At least for me it did. It's also pretty fun to work with students but t can get a bit hectic at times.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
not an employee, you are an independent contractor
Good extra income
Mathematics and Reading Tutor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 11, 2012
Good ectra income with a good mission of helping children. Hours varied. All work done online.
Pros
working with children
Cons
low pay
High Frustration / Low Pay
Instant Access Online Tutor (Former Employee) –  New York, New YorkApril 29, 2012
This position can be rewarding when working with students that are willing to learn and are generally polite. Some students can be very rude and demanding. The ratio of rude students to decent students is higher (compared to face-to-face interactions; that's a very rare occurrence). Rude students can be pop up once or more during one shift. I worked in the science and math section. The tutoring in those areas can involve higher level questions and responses to their questions can be involved. One major downside is that tutors are expected to manage multiple students online, 2-3, and sometimes 4 students at a time. I rarely worked with only 1 student. Working with multiple students can go reasonably well, but most often that was not the case. That aspect of the work can be very stressful, especially if you have rude and impatient students. Sometimes time is needed to formulate a response and communicate it to the student. I find balancing more than 2 students unreasonable. And the expectation is that tutors are to respond in a speedy fashion, even when working with 3 or more students. In addition to that, tutors are told not to tell students that they are working with more than one student (if tutors could do so, that would explain delays in responding to students and perhaps pacify them a bit). Also, my perception is in general, the administrative office staff at headquarters could care less about what tutors think of the job in general. Not once did they ask how things were going. I received positive and negative feedback. When given negative feedback I notice they don't ask  more... you to account for what happened (in essence they don't open the door for discussion on your thoughts or perceptions about what happened-sometimes there is a reasonable and brief explanation), and they don't tell you what you should or could have done. That is not helpful at all. They have general tutor guidelines, which are basic and easy to follow, yet don't encompass most/all real life situations you may encounter online with students. And I noticed at least once, their feedback went gone against their tutor guidelines. I have done private and in-school tutoring for about 5 years, and this has been the worst experience I have had tutoring. The pay is low and the workload is high. Bottom line is if you work for this company and work in the Instant Access staffing area, it's most likely you won't get much guidance and support as far as feedback is concerned. Dealing with impatient and rude students is a common occurrence. And you will be expected to manage more than one online student often. Easier said than done. I have been working there less than a year and simply put, I'm burned out. I don't plan on returning after the summer.  less
Pros
work from home, flexible hours
Cons
students can be extremely rude, not much support from the administration office
Very stressful work at home job with low compensation
online tutor (Former Employee) –  homeMarch 7, 2012
I worked for Brainfuse for 3-4 months and that was enough. When I started, the job seemed great, get compensated $8/hour waiting on students and $10/hour if you are helping them. The software used was very good. I never really had much of a problem with it. The students however, would berate you and swear at you if you didn't answer their questions (which was not the job, you were supposed to be guiding them to the answer, not answering their homework). There were monitors which were supposed to be watching the instant messaging conversations between tutors and students, and you were supposed to be able to contact them if you had an issue. I would contact them if I was harassed. Half of the time they just transferred the student to another tutor, the other half I was basically told to deal with it. After the first few months, the company policy changed where I would no longer get paid to wait for a student, but I was still required to sit on the computer during my shift. No thanks!
Pros
work at home
Cons
harassing students, low pay