Brandeis University Employee Reviews

Intensive but fun
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MANovember 26, 2017
Students are friendly and easy-going, the advisor helps a lot. Just the working load is very heavy. This is part of the practicum of graduate study, so it's ok to work for a relatively long time
Your Typical Teaching Assistant Job
Teaching Assistant - For Operating Systems (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MANovember 19, 2017
A Teaching Assistant position is a part-time job where you are expected to hold 2 one-hour sessions throughout the week in order to help students in the class with either homework or questions concerning the concepts taught.

The nature of being a TA is as follows: when there is nothing immediately due in class, your hour is basically free, and you get to do as you wish, though there will be the occasional diligent student that comes to you to get a head start. As the deadlines come closer and closer, more and more students will come to your hours in order to get assistance. Thus, your workload varies from nothing at all to being absolutely packed.

Then there's grading assignments--which, when there are over 130 students enrolled, means that it will take a while, especially when you're having to read through their code to see what went wrong, if anything. When quiz grading comes around, your afternoon is dedicated to that, and nothing else. If I had to give an estimate of hours on this job, you get as few as 2 and as many as 20.

The professor for the class depended on us, for the most part, to do our jobs as we saw fit. We went to her for guidance, and she set the rules for how we were to operate, but in the end, how we were to provide our assistance was up to us. Interacting with other students keeps the atmosphere rather casual and relaxed, unless there is a deadline looming over the student's head.

I learned how to keep a working knowledge of a few key concepts pertaining to the topics being taught in class and how to clearly and effectively answer others that
  more... ask for help. I enjoyed being able to help others and guide them to the right result, but I did not like the many hours spent in a row grading quizzes and the amount of time it took to grade programming assignments. Overall, it was the typical Teaching Assistant experience.  less
Good Working environment
Sr. Dept. Associate/Colloquium Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MANovember 6, 2017
It was a good working environment for most part. Last two years I was there is was a bit stressful. When it became the Division of Science. Then after 23 years they eliminated my job.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Stressful
College Daycare Center.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAAugust 24, 2017
would come in at noon and work very fast.
Long distance to travel to work.
College Students as teachers, some unfriendly
worked very little hours.
Jewish College, not the Daycare Center.
Paid fairly.
Low in Staff with up to 13 Children a day.
Friendly families.
Pros
wonderful children.
Cons
short breaks, unfriendly staff.
Great to work with students
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAAugust 15, 2017
Brandies University proved to be a very unorganized workplace. My mentoring professor was amazing but the other professors were in their own worlds.It took a long time to get paid. Those are the technical details. The actual teaching of students was amazing! Being able to answer my peer's questions and help guide them through a difficult language was extremely satisfying. It helped me realize I want to work directly with with people.
Sexist and Racist Workplace
Head Coordinator of Events and Services (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAJune 12, 2017
My boss in the department of public safety at Brandeis University was dismissive of my thoughts and opinions in staff meetings. When speaking of things directly related to my position he spoke to the white males in the room instead of me. He asked my white male colleagues to keep an eye on me because he wasn't sure I could do my job. I was the only female and POC on the team at the time - worst job experience I've ever had.
Pros
ability to work remotely
Fun work place
Executive Chef 2 (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAJune 9, 2017
My day at Brandeis University consisted of making sure all my satellites meet expected requirements(financially, culinary wise)
I learn mostly to adjust as need it due to the demands of our client in order to exceed expectations.
The hardest part of my job is not being allowed to directly assist my employees due to the fact that is a union account.
Pros
Free gym
Cons
No enough parking
Great University to work at.
Digital Media & Conferencing Lead (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAMay 29, 2017
Brandeis is a great University to work for. Great work environment and culture. Campus is beautiful. New president will be a good leader going forward. I love how the campus is spread out, making it easy to walk around the campus and get some exercise during the day. Great relationships with coworkers and cooperation between campus groups.
Pros
Beautiful campus, good work culture
Good Experience
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAApril 27, 2017
A good place to work at and I enjoy it very. Love the professor and staff members here. They offered me great opportunities and advice for future careers and I have benefit a lot from it.
Okay
Certification Administrator (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAApril 20, 2017
As time went by, the culture starred changing. I wish I was treated fairly after over 5 years of service and dedication. Things were fine for a while. lots of favoritism. The benefits were great!
Work/Study
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAApril 2, 2017
Worked at Brandeis as a teaching assistant and a lifeguard. It was great for earning some extra cash while also being a full time student athlete. I really enjoyed my time working at this school.
Very good university and responsible colleagues
Chinese Instructor/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  415 south street, waltham 02453March 1, 2017
I really like studying and woking here. It is a nice place and beautiful school. I spent a splendid and fantastic life here. Highly recommend this university.
Wonderful learning experience
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAFebruary 21, 2017
I worked closely with a very qualified graduate student and was taught basics (radiation safety, how to work with RNA, various laboratory techniques, etc.) before beginning my own, independent project. I was given both support and freedom, and learned the complexities of conducting one's own research project.
Great coworkers and boss
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAJanuary 13, 2017
I thought the management was helpful, understanding, and supportive. My coworkers were eager to help me understand their work and help me grow. I could not have asked for a more supportive environment.
High quality research
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MADecember 12, 2016
Brandeis University offered an excellent environment for neuroscience research, and both the faculty and student community were engaging, creative, and performed groundbreaking research.
Love it
Building Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MANovember 17, 2016
Great environment to be in day in and day out. Whole staff feels like one big happy family. I'll always be grateful for meeting some of the most amazing people.
strong academy
Graduate Student, Research Projects (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAMay 5, 2016
My education in Brandeis is wonderful. Too short that I had to graduate. Learned lots about molecular and cell biology. It is fun to do clonings.
Good place to work to maintain work/life balance
Program Administrator (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAMarch 30, 2016
A very gratifying place to work at as what you do has an impact on students and faculty. Very friendly, accommodating, but compensation is just average.
Extraordinary group of healthcare professionals!
Visiting Scholar (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAMarch 24, 2016
Incredible work environment; intellectual discussion and teamwork! Variety of healthcare research projects and exposure to innovative research designs.
Xx
Board Member, Student Conduct Board (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAMarch 11, 2016
As a student conduct board member, I have had the great honor to act as a representative of the faculty and uphold the high community standards at Brandeis.
Pros
Xx
Cons
Xx