Brandon Regional Hospital

Brandon Regional Hospital Employee Reviews

General overview of my experience at Brandon Regional Hospital
LPN (Current Employee) –  Brandon, FLAugust 19, 2013
Typical day at work is to get my patient asisgnment and look up labs, pending orders from physicians,who's in surgery or scheduled to go on my shift and then make rounds with off going nurse.My experience on this unit has been invaluable based on the wide array of patients I take care of. I love working with surgical patients because you see something knew and challenging almost everday. It's always a constant learning process. Again my co-workers are great and like second family to me. Hardest part about my job is trying to explain to patients why a physician is holding a discharge,changed a certain pain med or when they cry and explain they don't want anymore testing or lab draws and I have to reason with them and explain why it's needed for them to get better. I also work nights and I still hate waking patients in the middle of the night to administer meds or change IV fluids.The most enjoyable part of my job is when a patient comes in on death's door and the walks out on their own energy. I also enjoy talking to alot of different types of people.You always meet some interesting characters.We have been through 5 different Directors for my unit since I started. We just lost our 5th a few weeks ago.Right now we don't have a permeanent director sort of a fill in so our CNC's pretty much run the day to day.Our CNC's are great. They have both been there at that hospital for years and know what they are doing.
Pros
love my co-workers and can alsways depend on them when needed
Cons
medical benefits are expensive and the coverage is horrible
CNC's and staff keep the patients safe and hospital running!!!!
RN (Former Employee) –  Brandon, FLSeptember 10, 2013
Despite all the efforts of the senior management to stay within the "budget" in order to receive their "bonuses", the staff, CNC's and the few remaining Directors are still on the front lines putting in countless hours of patient care, working overtime and sacrificing their own personal and family time trying to make Brandon Regional Hospital one of the best community hospitals around. Unfortunately, all their efforts will go unnoticed because this administration is more concerned about buying expensive flashy equipment/instruments rather than updating, repairing and replacing equipment, instruments and supplies that are needed to care for these patients (you and your loved ones) on a daily basis. The Surgeons and Doctors are equally as frustrated as staff and middle management because they to would like to be able to care for their patients with adequate supplies, equipment and instrumentation. Please know this hospital has great surgeons, doctors, staff and people who put their heart and soul into their jobs. BRH needs to find senior management that cares more about patient care and safety than about the budget and money!!
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
senior administration, human resources
Every body is a team player which makes the job runs snoother
Patient Information Operator (Former Employee) –  Brandon, FLApril 7, 2014
A typical day at Brandon Regional Hospitl is when calls come from patien's family and they are worried about their loved ones. These families would tell me that they don't know the extension number in order to contact them.
You can hear in these families voices that they are worried and nervous. I try to calm them down by usually telling them to take deep breathes. This seems to help alot . From there on I can transfer them to their loved ones.
I learnt that they are some policies you can not do. You can not give out the Nurse's Station phone numbers. You are supposed to transfer the call directly to the Nurse's Station.
I also learnt that when their is a patient in the hospital who should not recived calls form relatives or friends due to some circumstances, do not transfer the call.
I get along with my co-workers well and they always give me some tips to make my job easier.
Te hardest part of the job is that some people call and the phone is not clear enough so that you can hear or has a lot of statics.
The best part is that when a customer comes in to see a patient and they say Thank You with a smile, then you know you have done a job well done.
Pros
at christmas, you get go the christmas luncheon
Cons
n/a
Great coworkers
Certified Surgical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Brandon, FLJanuary 24, 2015
The hospital is very geared toward profit as the overall bottom line. This means, no raises above the mandatory 2.25 each year. Even if your work extra days during low staff times or coming on your days off because they need help or had call offs. You never got anything more than the straight forward amount. I was informed that you would have to sign up for 10 different panels on your off time to qualify for anything above the standard.

Management in my area was very poor. Delegation was extreme and even with all the extra work you still never got anything in return, it became your extra work from then on. Then they would add even more but still no compensation.

Doctors in my area were allowed to act inappropriately.
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
hardly ever got lunch relief.
I work with a great team we work well together and respect each other there is no immaturity
Bilingual Patient Access Registrar (Current Employee) –  Brandon, FLSeptember 23, 2015
daily registered patients for scheduled procedures, and walk in diagnostic testing. I enjoy the staff I work with, my direct management is a pleasure to work for. The hardest part of my job is collecting monies due when the pt has stated financial hardships. Most enjoyable is serving patients and helping them understand their medical benefits, and showing them that we are here to help with their needs by offering other options to help fulfill their financial obligations for their services rendered.
Pros
flexibility in work hours
Cons
salary is not compatible with my experience in the industry over the years
really fun when everyone works together
RN (Current Employee) –  Brandon, FLJanuary 2, 2015
I have been a nurse at this hospital since 2007.I started as a cardiac observation nurse.Later worked in Neuro floor,PCU,and Admission unit.I am also assigned to do charge RN on days where CNC is not available.I try to help my co-workers when I get free time (which is seldom,as we are always busy).I spend a lot of time with my patients if I get a chance.Co-workers also help if and when they get a chance.The hardest part of job is getting patients' towards shift change.The most enjoyable moments are when we bring in food and share together,also when one is drowning the other comes to help.
Pros
birthday lunch is free
Cons
there is 30minute break for 12 hours, also no coverage to help for break
Review of Brandon Reginal Hospital
MATERIAL MANAGEMENT (Former Employee) –  Brandon, FLJanuary 16, 2015
My everyday routine would be unloading of several pallets of surgical
supplies for the O.R.Stocking of supplie room on a daily basis.
The management was good,was fair to everyone.When you needed a day off for something they did not hesitate to give you the day,as long as the work was completed.
The hardest part of the job was doing the inventory every six months.
The most enjoyable was working in paradise(Florida),also the coworkers I had had.
I ENJOYED working for Brandon Regional Hospital. I should have never left.Hopefully they will consider me again in the neer future.
Pros
the shift/no weekends
Cons
inventory
I was the IT Coordinator and Scheduling Supervisor in the Operating Room
IT Coordinator/Scheduling Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brandon, FloridaJune 7, 2013
Supervising Scheduling office and making changes to the daily OR schedule to accomodate physicians and patient needs.

Performed system upgrades. Address hardware issues and assistant nursing staff with computer and/or documentation issues.

Maintain Surgeon Preference Cards.

Create statistical reports on a daily, monthly and quarterly basis, provide Capital requests and 5yr budget plans.
Pros
interacting with the staff and physicians
Cons
hospital ability to keep director and manager level personnel
working with the public
Monitor technician (Former Employee) –  Brandon, FLOctober 23, 2012
I would get to work at night, I worked with the heart monitors, watching peoples heart rhythms. On nights they needed a secretary,
I would double as a secretary to help them out. On certain holidays we would get a free meal.Also on our birthdays,we would get a free meal ticket. I got along with my co-workers on the most part . The best part of my job was watching my patients get better and go home, the worst part was when they didn't make it.
Pros
free lunch on birthdays, and on holidays
Cons
breaks, health insurance
Great Workplace and atmosphere
Diet Clerk (Current Employee) –  Brandon, FLMay 23, 2012
I really enjoy working with my co-workers. They make it easy and enjoyable to come to work everyday and to get the job done. wouldn't want to change the family of the workplace. We have fun each shift. I've learned several diets and what they consist of. The hardest part of my job is hearing about the fun taht the other co-workers had o my day off. The night shift is the most enjoyable part of the job and weekend crew.
Pros
free meals, understandable boss, flexible schedule.
Cons
census become low lack of hours
Very challenging and greatest learning environment
LPTA (Former Employee) –  Brandon, FLFebruary 6, 2015
This was a full time position and very busy with in house and out-patients as well as emergency patients.I learned so much about working together and about a vast variety of diagnosis. Co-workers were great but the manager could be difficult but this helped to develop my professional attitude.I loved this job !
Pros
wonderful learning experience and great small hosp. environment
Cons
too much lifting of pt's until we taught the staff how to use a hoyer lift.
Great for keeping you always guessing whats next through the door.
Unit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brandon, FLJuly 3, 2012
Never typical. I learned soo many different areas of the hospital to work in ER Redistration, ER,Pedi ER,Fast Track,Pedi ICU and Peds. Management was more for the nurses but was fair and would back you up when needed. Hardest part was Pedi Codes. Enjoyed everthing co-workers having to never know what I had to do next and how fast it would have to be done.
Pros
learing so much in different areas
ok place to work
Weekend Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Brandon, FLNovember 30, 2012
Cleaning of discharged and patient rooms using aseptic techniques.
Everyday is a day of new and interesting things to learn and great people to meet. Our management team is good, most co-workers are good to work with and are team players. The hardest part of this job is the forever walking from building to building. Meeting and talking to the patients and putting a smile on there face is the best part of this job.
very busy workplace
Nurse Tech / Unit Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Brandon Fla.April 27, 2014
Very busy work place , work on a Cardio floor so you are always doing something. For the most part most of my co-workers are great to work with. The best part of my job is seeing open heart patients go home to start a new life. And all the great work they have done it is so totally awesome. I'm very much a people person so I really get to know my patient and family. There are some awesome people who work there.
working at Brandon Regional
Floater (Former Employee) –  Brandon, FLAugust 16, 2013
It was alright at first, But Later was not so hot at all. When in human resouces turning in papers for job told then that i have a history of serious migraine headaches which would cause difficulties working, they still hired me but when i missed a day to many because of that issue i was terminate. I was able to prove my case and recieved unemployment bennifits.
Pros
plenty of working hours
Cons
quick to terminate you
great hospital ,too many changes on administration,supervisors and management
Nutritional Services Aide (Former Employee) –  Brandon, FLAugust 12, 2015
always busy,fast paced workplace it is a great hospital however the pay and benefits are lower in comparison to other hospitals,constantly changing management which delay the department to advance ,it is an ongoing starting process..
Pros
has a great reward safety program were we get gift cards for it.
Cons
low pay
Productivity
Materials Management (Former Employee) –  Brandon, FLJuly 15, 2015
Brandon Hospital was a very good place to work. The management was very fair as treating everybody fairly. The C.EO was also very friendly, always spoke to you when passing you in the hospital. The staff Brandon was a tight fit, always felt like family. The benefits were also good.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Coworkers not wanting to help when needed.
Fast, furious pace
Certified Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Brandon, FLNovember 18, 2012
Very busy work place, constant surgery and excessive call duties, no real advancement for technicians or nurses. Management is more concern about the bottom line, rather than patients. Surgery there has become a assmebly line process, not a caring organization.
Cons
short lunches, long hours, low pay.
enjoy this job a lot
SURGICAL SECRETARY (Current Employee) –  Brandon, FLOctober 15, 2015
I love my job at Brandon Hospital , they've taught me how to interact with people, have taught me new things. It is a great evironment makes you feel like family. They give you the oppurtunity to grow and meet your goals. They also are flexible with the hours.
Pros
they have many activities around the year
Too many new nurses.
RN (Former Employee) –  CVICU\ICUFebruary 14, 2012
The new nursing staff was unsure of thier skills and unsure how to correct the problem. Unfortunate errors occurred due to this factor, and the problem was primarily due to lack of education in the hospital setting.
Pros
not enough staff and education.
Cons
salary was top rate for educated rn.