Breakthrough Cincinnati is a four year, tuition-free, academic enrichment program that prepares motivated, low-income middle school students for success in rigorous college prep environments and beyond. Employing a Students-Teaching-Students model in both its 8-week Summer Academic Session and year-round School Year Program for over 20 years, Breakthrough Cincinnati also seeks to inspire, motivate, and train talented high school and college students to enter careers in education. Located on the campus of Cincinnati Country Day School and an affiliate of the national Breakthrough Collaborative, Breakthrough Cincinnati emphasizes academic excellence, family involvement, teamwork, leadership, multicultural education, creativity, and diversity.
Breakthrough Cincinnati, Inc. is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization and an Equal Opportunity Employer
Executive Director Responsibilities:
- Provide support, oversight, and evaluation of all aspects of school year and summer programs, serving approximately 120 middle school students annually.
- Raise funds to meet annual operating budget of $300,000 per year and support endowment growth.
- Coordinate public relations efforts to increase the visibility of Breakthrough and its supporters and to articulate the mission of Breakthrough to community and corporate partners.
- Work with Board of Trustees to implement the 2014 strategic plan while continuing to develop overall strategy for Breakthrough and assuring funding and fiduciary responsibility as well as increasing Breakthrough’s outreach and delivery of services.
- Oversee all financial operations including developing and administering annual budget and managing endowment.
- Maintain and support an effective program staff; foster a climate which attracts, retains and motivates a diverse staff of full-time, part-time, and summer staff.
- Manage professional services (contract and in-house) including marketing, accounting, insurance and workers compensation.
- Maintain communication and alignment with the Breakthrough Collaborative, headquartered in San Francisco.
- Remain up-to-date with relevant research and data to ensure Breakthrough students are successful and the organization remains relevant in its local, regional, and national context.
The Executive Director will report to the Board of Trustees, provide leadership to the organization, and manage day-to-day operations. Ideal candidates will bring to the position a variety of attributes, knowledge and skills:
- An understanding of and commitment to expanding opportunities for low-income youth and their families
- Strong experience working with a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization with particular experience in development, board management, and partnership development
- Ability to successfully raise funds from individual, corporate, foundation and government sources
- Proven record of working in environments and communities with people from diverse backgrounds (ethnic, socio-economic, educational, etc.)
- Confident manager with experience building and empowering an effective staff team
- Excellent communicator with strong research, writing and interpersonal skills
- Computer literacy including proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Publisher), website management experience preferred.
- Knowledge of Cincinnati Public Schools and Greater Cincinnati charitable organizations is preferred.
- Prior Breakthrough/Summerbridge experience is preferred as is experience with a youth development organization, agency, or school in the areas of family support, recruitment, advocacy and program implementation
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from a four year institution of higher learning
Position is full time and eligible for benefits. Compensation is competitive and based upon educational and work experience.
Application procedure and timeline:
Prospective candidates should be available to assume duties in May/June 2014. Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to Breakthrough Cincinnati. Electronic submission via this website is preferred, but cover letters and resumes may be mailed to:
Breakthrough Cincinnati Search Committee c/o Blair Lanier
6905 Given Road
Cincinnati, OH 45243