Bridgepoint Education Employee Reviews

Good company could have been a better experience
Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 4, 2018
I liked working for Bridgepoint and the training was excellent. The experience on the floor was quite a bit different than how we were taught in training.
Pros
Good training
Cons
Sales Managers did their own thing
Good place to work, just not in Denver
Desktop Support Technician II (Current Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 21, 2017
The Denver division was usually the place where the work others in the company did not want to do were put. I want to say at this point this was ONLY true for the IT staff. Everything else is great. I made great friends there and would stay if the Management of BTS did not seem like they did not care about us.
Pros
Great employees. Good non-IT management
Cons
IT managment was too harsh and did not seem to care about the employees.
Your quality of (job) life depends on your manager
Enrollment Services Advisor, Team Lead (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 28, 2017
I had had awesome managers here who make me want to stay but currently I have a very rude, inconsiderate, insensitive manager who is numbers driven so I am looking elsewhere
Pros
benefits, gme room, gym on site
Cons
numbers driven, quotas need to be made or else you are at risk for getting terminated
Great people, management is far removed
Enrollment Services Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 20, 2017
The people are great and you can make the culture great if you stay positive. Unfortunately upper management is too far removed and creates budgets and requirements that can be difficult to attain. They do not understand business well enough.
Great experience
Enrollment Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 19, 2017
Working at Bridgepoint Education was a great experience. It helped me understand how i can continue to help people. The relationships that I built at the jobs was awesome. I reccomend it for any Recent graduate who are looking to get started with something before they go into what their degree is.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Upper Level only care about the numbers and not the quality of life for workers.
Not bad in the beginning, then the politics take over and advancing becomes a nightmare.
Enrollment Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 23, 2017
If we didn’t have to be in positions for a year to show our value or worth, I’d be more happy to compete for a position. But we need to show time in a position to show what exactly?
Academic Advsior
College Advisor (Current Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 18, 2017
The lack of management direction is the biggest challenge at this company. The inability to incentivize makes it a challenge to promote skillful employees. I do not recommend working for this organization.
Overall Good Company
Financial Services Advisor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 13, 2017
Overall good company to work for. Offer many benefits, cafeteria, coffee cart, game room. Not too much room for advancement depending on position you are in.
Pros
Benefits, coworkers
Cons
advancement
Not A Bad Place
Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 11, 2017
Place is what you make it. There are some opportunities there you just have to make your move at the right time, know the right people and go way, way, way above and beyond to move forward.
Pros
If you find yourself in the right role, you can make it work for you.
Cons
Budgets dictate staffing, like anywhere else, but your job can just disapear overnight.
Good people, poor executive leadership
Associate Director of Business Intelligence (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 7, 2017
BPI has a lot of good people working for them, unfortunately executive leadership is resistant to actual change. The company has been operating under the same general guidelines for the last ten years with minimal actual change. Love producing data and new processes but resistant to actually making decisions that would result in changing the way the business operates. Love looking for data to answer questions but resistant to make the changes that the data points towards.
Friendly environment
A/P Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 30, 2017
I really enjoyed working for Bridgepoint Education. My coworkers and managers were friendly and helpful, and held a high level of respect for me and my abilities.
Pros
Friendly coworkers
Transparent attempts to be a Great Place to Work
Instructional Designer II (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 25, 2017
Management does make some very transparent attempts to buy off the employees (Donuts, candy cart, etc.). Sad really that anyone does value that type of thing.
The management clearly favors the people who will go along with the company line and in the end it is exactly as someone else here said: they replace the only people that really know what they are doing. Sad again.
Any talk of "really caring about the students" should be discounted by anyone who tries to listen, as the management ONLY cares about the bottom line: the profit. After all, this is a FOR-PROFIT university. That is all that needs to be said. Buyer: Beware!
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Management who is desperate to market to students!
Leadership
Operations Compliance Specialist II (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 23, 2017
terrible leadership in the Finance Dept. restructure is badly needed. all other departments run like a well-oiled machine. the people you work with on daily bases is what makes this place great. it's their leadership that needs to be replaced but unfortunately they only ones the get replaced are the great people that don't deserve to be replaced
Pros
the people you work with
Cons
leadership in the Financial aid dept.
The company used to be great...
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 20, 2017
Now, the organization is filled with Senior leaders that make decisions based on what is in their best interests. The organization is trying to become a Great Place to Work and they are making strides. That is... if a donut on Friday or a candy cart rolling by with a free Snickers is what you are seeking.

The best part of the job is the people you will work with and their passion for the students.

The worst part of the job is that no matter how hard you work or how effective you are, you can get cut loose at any moment. Some departments micro manage to the point that if you do not clock in or out at precisely the right time or you spend a little too long in the restroom, you can receive corrective action. This can escalate and you may lose your job. The environment of fear is pervasive and management is powerless to do anything about it.

Everyone in a position to do anything about the situation points the finger at the Dept. of Education or the "regulators" for reasons why they are so harsh with the rules for student-facing departments.

My advice if you are exploring a position at BPI or AU, steer clear from the student facing departments. Those are the ones that have the most micromanagement, fear-based goals, and inexperienced management.
Pros
Great people and free education
Cons
Micromanagement for student facing roles
Is currently re-positioning itself in the industry
Executive Assistant to CFO (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 16, 2017
Bridgepoint is currently working to re-position itself within the for-profit, online-based education industry. Though Bridgepoint strives to be "a great place to work," there are many more efficiencies they could identify within their infrastructure to ensure a balanced experience.
Productive and fun place to work
Military Enrollment Service Director (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 19, 2017
Great place to work. Allows for flexibility and innovation. Leadership has done a great job in the realm of transparency and allowing for collaboration.
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
Loafty goals
Great people and caring management team
Director of Software Development (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 6, 2017
I have worked at BPI for over 10 years now. I LOVE the people here. Everyone comes to work with a positive mindset.
Benefits are decent and the leadership team cares.
Pros
People, Culture
Cons
Industry has challenges which have caused multiple RIFs
na
Enrollment Advisor (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 1, 2017
Heavy outbound calls and emails.
High stress enrollment goals.
Management varies, some are focused others are not.
Good co-workers.
Little job security.
Transforming
VP (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 23, 2017
After years of fighting off political agendas from DC, this company is turning the corner and the light of hope and growth is lit. New benefits plan currently rolling out and it's awesome. Paid volunteer hours, donation matching, phenomenal medical, etc. This company is becoming a better place to work, and will get to Great Place to Work by 2021. We need great talent to help us get there!
Pros
Culture, Benefits, Education - Mission
Cons
Old tools, manual processes, a lot of folks that only know one or two companies
Great Culture
Leadership and Talent Development Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 16, 2017
Fast paced startup in 2004 developed into a one of the largest providers of online education. Strong belief in leadership development and open communication. Strong culture of engagement, accountability and learning.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bridgepoint Education. Our community is ready to answer.

2.1