Bridgepoint Education

Bridgepoint Education Employee Reviews

Micro-managed environment
Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA.September 25, 2015
Outbound/inbound calls managing the enrollment process into college for students.

This company makes it difficult to get comfortable in your position and it's a revolving door. A constant hire and fire of employees.
Okay
Accounts Resolution Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Kearny Mesa, San diego, CASeptember 17, 2015
Job security is a stress. There are random mass layoffs and i have seen good people get walked out. Great co-workers and facilities.
Pros
Workplace and co-workers
Cons
Upper management disconnect
Great mission but hard to accomplish
Enrollment Services Manager (Current Employee) –  San DiegoAugust 14, 2015
Bridgepoint has an awesome mission: changing lives through education. Many people working here believe in the mission and work to that end.

The downside is that executive leaders are very removed and haven't responded well to industry and regulatory changes. DVP's and above struggle to know how to motivate their frontline staff. Managers and Directors are overworked and stressed.

Job security actually declines with tenure and so we lose our most experienced staff, leaving us with people who are too new to know what to do.

Promotion process is horrible and the wrong people keep getting promoted.

The issues are from the top down.
Pros
Great mission, good people work here
Cons
Losing good people frequently, fear tactics to motivate staff, no professional development, poor benefits
Great
Enrollment Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 10, 2015
Great place to work. Really like the mission and the culture of the organization. Easily able to grow and learn a multitude of knoweldge.
A great workplace
Lead Technical Support (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 29, 2015
From my first day of employment with Bridgepoint, I found myself surrounded by good people willing to go the extra mile with helping you and others with questions personnel have in regards to doing your job or cross training.

Every department had its challenges, at Bridgepoint you had the opportunity of to voice your opinion with others and take action; the result of cross departmental communication.

Unfortunately Bridgepoint has come under fire with some of its work ethics and is damaging its reputation ( a direct result of disgruntled employees or poorly trained individuals that want to re-invent the wheel).

Bridgepoint is a private for profit educator and I encourage you apply for a job there. The reward is life long.
Pros
People
Cons
Admissions management processes and procedures
good
Talent Acquisition (Current Employee) –  San DiegoJuly 21, 2015
i like working here it is a nice place to work. I just started, and have a lot to learn. I dont have any substance to write a review.
Travel Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 10, 2015
I've enjoyed every minute of working with the company.In travel every day there is something new. My typical day is determined by the weather, airline industry and current events. You learn so much in travel with all my travel experience I’m still learning something new every day.
The hardest part of the job is to ensure vendors treat our employees the way our company does. Meaning when I’m sending someone on a trip I hope they get the same great service that I provide for them before they depart.
Great people, some odd management decisions
Director of Business Operations (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 29, 2015
Bridgepoint is the parent company for Ashford University so I have worked here over nine and half years. I have worked there in many capacities. I think that when there is an accountability standard in place, this job is amazing. When it is not, people drift to the bottom and do the minimum. There are some great and poor leads as would be in any workplace. There needs to be more accountability at the top. So many amazing people and great friends here and some who just want to do anything to keep their job. It is a tough mix.
Pros
Fun environment, many opportuinites in the middle
Cons
Some in leadership, lack of general accountability
A Day in the Life of a Student Inquiry Coordinator
Student Inquiry Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 9, 2015
I have been with the overall company for years including Ashford University as an admissions counselor, than transferring to another department, hence student inquiry department. Such as any job, the management is not the best but there are some really great people here and others that have potential. The company itself offers great benefits but in my current position there is no room for advancement, it is extremely difficult to change positions, and there is absolutely no job security.

Typically we contact prospective students to ensure that they meet the qualifications of possibly becoming a student at either Ashford or University of the Rockies. We provide exceptional customer service, overcome obstacles and fulfill requirements to not only the student but our employers as well. I have learned how to work in a high-paced, high-demand, environment while still exceeding daily goals and building relationships with co-workers and students. I think my favorite part of the job would be the people that I am able to connect with daily, my co-workers. I have met some of the most wonderful people at Bridgepoint and when there seems to be no end to the day my co-workers give me the last push that I need to keep going. The hardest part of my job would be that no matter how well I perform at my position there is no job security nor is there any room for advancement. It's a position with such a high turnover and management that isn't the best, that giving your best feels unnoticed or under appreciated. The most enjoyable part of my job are my co-workers, the lessons I have taken,
  more... and the students that I have been able to help thus far.  less
Pros
great benefits, great people, good work schedule
Cons
management, high turnover rate, lack of advancement, difficulty to switch positons, lack of job security
Education is the key to a brighter future
Enrollment Services Advisor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 6, 2015
Advising another adult on their education can be a challenge within itself; however, passion and confidence will take over. Having the education required to perform such act will also give the students a motivation as well.
Run Away From Them
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 2, 2015
This company is on a downward spiral with several lawsuits against them and several prior suits as well. The turnover rate is high and shelf life is 2-3 months. You get paid decently with benefits but you are unlikely to keep your job for long. Your eight hour day is highly structured with little freedom, constantly monitored and consists of making hundreds of cold calls in a day. Your objective is to enroll students with the leads they give you, with somewhat unrealistic expectations (aka quotas) to meet each month. As a newbie, you get the worst leads. They try to make you feel like you're doing something good for people by calling enrollments "life changes" but you will soon realize that what you're doing is swindling poor or uneducated people to sign up for school and take out student loans and then make them pass their first class so they will be fully matriculated to the University and therefore be thousands of dollars in debt, at which point they will most likely drop out (if they don't drop out before then).

Management is poor, most leadership are clueless and take a lot of pressure from directors and executives and therefore pile more stress on you. Work-life balance is terrible, they want you to work overtime all the time to help meet your virtually impossible to meet quotas, and if you decide not to take overtime hours, you don't get in trouble but your manager will take note. Advancement is near impossible, and the culture here is akin to high school. You will meet close, maybe even life long friends, but it is also a cesspool for cliques, rumors (who slept with
  more... whom, etc), and more. The drama level is high.

If you get hired here, don't stay too long, you probably will get fired. I was laid off with two hundred others, and I wasn't given a specific reason except that it was "performance based" even though my numbers were good. They refused me any more details than that and my last paycheck didn't reflect the small raise I recieved and had been in effect for a few months for making it a whole year at that terrible company. Make some good connections, network a bit then get the heck out. Bridgepoint does not care about its employees or the students they enroll. You are just numbers, dollar signs.
Pros
Decent pay and benefits, solid resume builder, cool people
Cons
Everything else
Great place to really hone your cold calling skills
Student Inquiry Coordinator II (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 5, 2015
A typical day involves me making 200-300 cold calls, retaining current students when needed, and helping my manager in his daily tasks to make the team run at an optimal level.

I work hand in hand with my manager as well as departmental executives in ensuring that our department has all the information and tools needed to do our job to our absolute best.

I help create departmental trainings as well as write and direct different videos that go out both department and company wide.
Fast paced and challenging
IT Manager for Enterprise Operations (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 7, 2015
Bridgepoint is a fast paced and challenging place to work.

I have learned a lot about when companies grow quickly. If you don't manage the growth from an IT perspective there can be a lot to clean up at some point that will adversely come back to be dealt with.

I really enjoy all of my co-workers and my bosses have all been great. These guys really unite when there is an issue.

With all management there can be a disconnect at times but that is a normal thing that most groups attempt to bridge and filter from their directs and other members from the organization.

The hardest part of the job is navigating through the right sizing that has occurred.
Pros
Flexible schedules and we are always learning new things and every day is a challenge
Cons
Low compensation, low culture and in my opinion the is on a slow growth path
Great place to learn about how business works
Admissions Counselor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 8, 2015
A typical day here consists of high levels of stress and almost no job security if you do not meet your numbers. I've learned how to be self-sufficient as well as a team player. Management is okay. I've met a lot of good people working here. The hardest part of the job would be cold calling all day. The most enjoyable part of the job is working around good people who truly care about you.
Pros
great pay and benefits
Cons
no job security, turnover rate is very high
Offices
Decline to state (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 9, 2015
Most work in an office/cubicle environment. Typical 8 hour work day. Younger workforce. Offices have convenient freeway access.
Pros
on site cafeteria. hour lunches
Cons
frequent layoffs
Stay away
Admissions (Former Employee) –  San DiegoJanuary 28, 2015
Some really good people there--highly educated--during the economic downturn that is changing now--met some lifelong friends. The sales pressure is high with low rewards/income and absolutely zero job security. The senior management team is mostly dysfunctional and many are just riding the government education pork wave. My recommendation is to run, and run away fast.
Pros
nice people
Cons
everything else
Productive and fun workplace
Student Inquiry Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 5, 2015
A lot of good people work there. That's what I really liked about it.
A good balance
Student Inquiry Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 12, 2014
Although I take all my jobs seriously, this was a job that I had in the midst of high school and college. In my many years at the Gap, I have been speacialists in many departments, constructured orientations and/or trainings and helped with hiring processes.
Great people challenges ahead
. (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 18, 2014
Really great people sad that the company is facing so many challenges
Great company
Workplace Services Administrator (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 13, 2014
Really enjoyed working for this company. Wonderful people. Awesome benefits.
Pros
good work life balance
Cons
unstable

2.9