Bridgeport Public Schools Employee Reviews in United States

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
Terrible all around.
Connecticut - CS Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTApril 20, 2016
The kids roam the halls without any discipline enforced in the slightest. It's terribly managed with very poor turnover. Avoid.
Dedicated education professionals working to meet the needs of an urban population
Principal, Central High School (Former Employee) –  Central High SchoolMarch 4, 2016
The students are the absolute center of the job. It is all about them. Teachers and administrators work well together to meet the needs of our students. Despite the challenges of poverty and the culture of the city streets, almost every student wants to learn. Reaching them, and educating them is the challenge and when it works it is the most rewarding job in the world. The fact that every teacher cares and works hard to overcome challenges is amazing and inspiring.
Pros
Interaction with students and caring parents
Cons
Students who have 'checked out', frequent testing
Challenging and inspiring; professionally collaborative and supportive
Resource Room Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTFebruary 23, 2016
Friendly and supportive staff. Difficult clientele - defeatist attitudes.
Maintaining a positive environment and motivating clients. Seeing student progress was the most enjoyable part of the day.
Pros
Never a dull moment
Cons
Enervating
inner city school
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTSeptember 26, 2015
The staff was great. We worked together well, complimenting and supporting each other. I taught reading, writing, language arts, and word processing to 5th graders. The hardest part of the job was classroom management. My favorite thing was teaching writing, because I could really see progress.
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
lack of support
Three stars
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTSeptember 10, 2015
Answering phone calls from parents, re-arrange PPT meetings according to parents, guardians or PPT members.
I learned to alter accommodations and modifications of students according to daily/individual academic and emotional needs.
I learned to accommodate myself to different personalities and demands of co-workers, parents chanting PPT schedules, calling with concerns.
The hardest part of the job is the size of my caseload. The year school year begins with twenty and ends up with forty five.
The most enjoyable part of the job is to be able to spend time one on one with students, get to know their preferences and see them motivated to work, especially when they celebrate their accompishements.
Pros
Sharing field information with service providers and co-workers, observing students improving at their own pace.
Cons
High case load, difficulties to coordinate meetings with services providers that work in different buildings.
Friendly environment and great group of people to work with.
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTAugust 31, 2015
A typical day at work consist of one teacher and two paraprofessionals and nine children in the classroom. We work with their needs and wants and make sure each child is learning, comfortable and happy. Everyone in the school works with each other as a team. The principal gets around to each classroom and speaks to all of the staff and children in the building. I enjoy working with the children and my coworkers. The hardest part of the job is just making sure that you are helping each individual child and meeting their needs.
Pros
Work with special needs childern
Cons
Healthcare
Bridgeport Public Schools
Program Aide, Floater (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTMarch 12, 2015
• Provided support to Child Care Teachers throughout various Stamford locations
• Specialized in toddler care with experience in infant care
• Served as substitute when needed
• Monitored children’s daily activities
Fun yet productive work environment
School Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTFebruary 17, 2015
This is a very fun yet productive place to work. The staff is very friendly, polite and courteous.The students are always challenging, yet very enjoyable to work with on a day to day basis.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
fast paced. must be able to multitask.
Awaiting an opportunity to work in the Bridgeport School system. In the meantime, I am volunteering to get more hands-on experience. November!
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTOctober 11, 2013
Substitutes are truly needed. I wanted to volunteer for a month or more to get experience working with different ages of children and learn more about the staff and policies and procedures. November will be my start for hitting the ground and running with the student's education as a priority!
Pros
variety! loads of opportunties for experience!
Cons
stability
Good job to gain experience.
K-8 Art teacher (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTSeptember 24, 2012
This position gave me a great deal of experience which I needed at the time.
Pros
godo hours.
Cons
need to be on your a game all the time.
Great experience in life long job skills
Music Teacher Specialist K-12 band and Chorus (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, Conn.January 25, 2012
I worked doing an array of the many facets of music education.From band, through Chorus, I provided excellence to the students I had taught
Cons
class room sizes expanded. job pay freezes, programs cut due to economy

4.2