Brigham Young University Employee Reviews

Its a great place to work as an undergrad
Undergraduate Researcher, Special Instructor (Former Employee) –  Laie, HIOctober 17, 2017
BYU-H is a fantastic place to work as an undergrad. I was given opportunities I wouldn't have had if I didn't take a job as an undergraduate researcher. My superiors were always supportive and ready to help. Pay sucks for on campus jobs, no matter what they are though
Great job while in college.
READING CENTER SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Rexburg, IDOctober 12, 2017
Working at BYU-Idaho as a student was the best way for me to have a job and balance classes. I worked two different positions on campus, both of which provided me with learning opportunities that will further me in the future.
BYU-I is Great!
Student Internal Auditor (Current Employee) –  Rexburg, IDOctober 12, 2017
I love it here. Co-workers are friendly and the work is great! Working in Internal Audit has been one of my goals and I was lucky enough to apply for an open position. The require professionalism and work you hard to get things done. Training is provided.
Uplifting place to work
Accounting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTOctober 12, 2017
There are so many departments you could work for, and each one is different. However, I enjoyed my department very much, and everyone I met was very nice.
Fun, Easy, Early, Good pay.
Early Morning Custodian (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTOctober 6, 2017
BYU is a great place to work. The hours are very flexible and you always start out with a great pay. The managers and employees are easy to work with. It's easy to pick up and isn't very difficult to do.
Pros
Early morning, good pay, good employees, good manager
Cons
Early morning, tiring, repetitive
Excellent educational institution
Desktop Publishing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTOctober 4, 2017
BYU is an appealing place to work for those who are invigorated by education and helping others to become their best/realize new potential. The challenge is the pay scale. However, it's offset somewhat by exceptional benefits.
Relaxed but productive work environment
Demonstrations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTOctober 1, 2017
I really like my student job here, it is nice that they can work around my class schedule. I am also able to be pretty independent and get to choose what projects I work on.
Good
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Provo UtahOctober 1, 2017
A typical day at BYU required 20 to 30 hours of study to keep up with Lab rules and procedures. Management at the first lab I worked at was spotty at best. The 2nd lab I worked at was managed much better. Hardest part of the job was working with no hope of advancement because of competition with other employees and students. The most enjoyable part of the job was working on equipment that cost millions of dollars at the age of 25. Really made me feel cool. The procedures were so complex that they take years of study to truly understand them. Both of my professors were very accomplished. One graduated Harvard. I felt honored that they trusted me enough to let me on there team.
Pros
Free lunch on Friday
Cons
low pay
great place to work
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTSeptember 30, 2017
Great people to work with, a good, clean family atmosphere. A lot of professors will help you with coursework and help you find a way to get by financially. Most of them very much sincerely care about student's welfare and want to watch them be successful and do well in their research and their careers.

It can be very competitive at times, I had a hard time while studying and working there, but most people will be unlikely to have the experience I had there (hopefully), in terms of high stress levels and difficulty managing stress. Professors are pretty good about making sure you keep up in your classes, and will usually hold office hours and hire TA's to help you if you're not understanding the material.

I was a TA for 2 1/2 years there, and it worked out very well for me. Undergraduates are paid $10-$11 per hour, graduates $14 per hour for TA work.

Some research there is less formal, and I had trouble knowing the best course of action on my own without specific guidance on how to approach my thesis, and how to use the resources at my disposal to create an effective thesis. The professor funding me was mainly a teaching professor (retired military), and we were delving into an area neither of us was familiar with, so our research on our particular project was probably under par. That's just how it goes sometimes, I guess. In terms of coursework and helping our students understand the course material, I feel we did good there. He paid my tuition, and the rest of the professors there were great to work with too.
Pros
Paid tuition, will work with your schedule, nice people usually
Cons
Stressful juggling work and school, research areas somewhat limited by some university's standards
BYU has one of the best working and learning environments in the world, in my opinion.
PE Instructor and Intern (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTSeptember 26, 2017
I loved attending as a student and working as a graduate assistant and intern at Brigham Young University--Provo. As a graduate assistant, I mostly taught basketball classes, though one semester I also taught a course called Fit for Life. As an intern, I helped to run the on campus employee wellness program called Y-Be-Fit. My supervisors were some of the best men I have ever met. It was the very best possible employment experience a person could have. If you have a chance to work at BYU, take it. BYU is operated by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Because of that, there are some rather strict standards that both students and faculty are required to abide by. Some would think this is a great disadvantage. But, it is one of the reasons that BYU is such a great place to work.
Pros
Great place to work. Great enviroment.
Cons
Can't think of any, unless the standards are a problem for you.
Just worked during school breaks
EE Senior Cleanroom Technician (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTSeptember 22, 2017
I got hired on because of my previous work experience in a clean room and it was a means of income during school breaks. I also was able to work a few hours here and there during class.
Fun place to work.
Concessions Worker (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTSeptember 22, 2017
Although wages aren't quite as competitive as other places, this job allows for a very fun and rewarding work environment. Every day is different making the job feel fresh every time you clock in.
Forced Review
Media Center Specialist (Former Employee) –  HBLLSeptember 22, 2017
Indeed insists on giving a mandatory review. I believe this is a bad idea on their part. That includes a 150 word minimum. Let's see if they even read this.
Grounds Crew
Grounds Crew (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTSeptember 20, 2017
My boss was excellent. The work was balanced. The pay was ok. The culture is good. I liked mowing lawns. The biggest benefit was that I had an excellent boss.
Excellent flexibility and a very supportive environment
Online Instructor (Current Employee) –  Rexburg, IDSeptember 12, 2017
The online instruction environment is very supportive. The curriculum is already created and set. This allows me to focus almost exclusively on the students and their needs. I love how the BYU schools focus on the students and educating them!
good
Research assistantship (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTSeptember 11, 2017
It is a good school, especially for families with lots of kids. Safe place to live and study. Everything is cheap and affordable. Somtimes people are very slow.
Pros
smart people
Cons
slow process
Excellent place to work as a graduate student.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTSeptember 8, 2017
Brigham Young University is a great place to work while a graduate student. I was employed in the mathematics department and helped TA in a bunch of classes as well as teach or grade others.
Pros
We had all school holidays off.
Good student job
Computer Science Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTSeptember 8, 2017
For a student job, it's great. It pays well, you get to work on something that affects a lot of people, and you get to learn more skills in your field.
It's awesome
Student Consultant on Teaching (Current Employee) –  RexburgSeptember 7, 2017
It's an awesome school with wonderful teacher and classmates! I really love the people that I met here, everyone is very kind and approachable. There is a great atmosphere on the campus.
Loved working on campus
Neuroscience Secretary (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTSeptember 1, 2017
I loved working on campus because it always fit with my school schedules. I had two great bosses and because of them doors have opened up. The pay was great and the coworkers incredible