Brigham Young University

Brigham Young University Employee Reviews in United States

Comfortable work environment with reliable schedule and great coworkers
Security Guard in the Harold B. Lee Library (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJune 15, 2016
My work here consisted of coming to work before my shift began so I could change into my uniform, clock in, and inform dispatch that I was on duty. Positions every half hour, and each rotation consisted of observing patrons, monitoring security cameras and library equipment, answering phones and patron inquiries, and being prepared to respond to emergency situations.

My coworkers were friendly and personable, and made the experience enjoyable. The hardest part of the job was staying focused and attentive during "slow" hours when few patrons were coming in and out of the library.
Pros
Great coworkers, opportunities to interact with library collection
Cons
Limited breaks, very repetitive, restrictive hours
A fantanstic place to be
Early Morning Custodian (Former Employee) –  Smith BuildingJuly 1, 2016
I have held a number of different jobs through out my undergraduate career, none of which have been as fulfilling as working with the people involved with custodial here at Brigham Young University - Idaho. The work starts early in the morning and can at times be very difficult to keep pace with, but the people and environment are more than ample compensation for this. I personally have enjoyed this job for the time I have been able to be a part of my cleaning crew, and would recommend it to anyone seeking employment while attending school.
Pros
Fantastic work environment, great peole to work with, strong management, clear job description
Cons
Early morning, dealing with repetitive problems, repetitive actions
Basic job, decent summer-time job
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJanuary 13, 2016
I would go and clock in at 8, go see my manager and she would tell me and my co-workers what the jobs were that day. Then we would spend our shift fulfilling those jobs. If we finished those jobs before our shift ended we would either go back to the manager and ask her what else she wanted us to do, or we would ask our group leader and he would give us an assignement. At 12 we would clock out.

I learned that it is important to follow instructions and do your best to fulfill the instructions that you receive. Attention to detail is important in order to do a good job.

The management was decent. The manager would give advice on how you could do better and what she wanted you to do. Although there seemed to be some miscommunication between the management and the employees from time to time.

My co-workers were good. They were helpful when you were confused about what was expected of you.

The hardest part of the job was finding things to do once you finished the specific things that your manager asked you to do.

The most enjoyable part of the job was that it was pretty easy-going.
Pros
Easy-going
Cons
Didn't learn any specific skills
Great work environment with supportive and innovative management
IT Training Manager (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJanuary 21, 2016
The Office of IT at BYU is a great place to work. There is a strong overall desire to provide and support the campus technology needs. There is a genuine interest in helping fulfill the mission of the University. The co-workers are generally competent and great to work with.
Pros
Supportive Management, Great co-workers, Positive environment
Cons
Pay is typically below average
Productive work environment and amazing coworkers
CUSTODIAN (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTMarch 15, 2016
I have loved working with these kind, respectful, smart coworkers as I complete my cleaning tasks each day. I have learned how to use several different cleaning tools and how to be quick and effective in my cleaning techniques. My boss is so kind as well which is a great aspect of working at this job. The hardest part of the job is getting up at 4 AM and being to work on time while also being awake enough to function. The most enjoyable part is associating with my coworkers and having the satisfaction of turning a messy room into a spotless room.
Pros
Nice staff, clean environment, good pay, clear responsibilities, set hours
Cons
very early mornings
The campus always looks great!
GROUNDS CREW (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTDecember 16, 2015
It is a great school, and the Grounds Crews are great! Everyone does a great job and works really hard. A typical workday varies, but we maintain the Provo Temple Grounds by doing the basic lawn care and doing show removal when it snows. We pick up the leaves that fall off all the trees, and weed all the flowerbeds and we prune the trees and bushes.
I have learned a lot at this job. How to properly use all the machines, and how to better work with others.
The Management was great! They have Student Appreciation Day every once in a while for all the grounds crew workers.
All my coworkers I have worked with have honestly been the best I have ever worked with, ever! I have really grown to love them, and appreciate them! We all have gotten really close with each other, and have become really great friends. I really have enjoyed working with them.
I don't think there is really anything hard about this job. Its really pretty simple, and self explanatory.
There are a lot of things I really enjoy about this job. My coworkers as I have previously mentioned, and making the temple grounds looking great for those who attend the temple. My supervisor is pretty flexible and a really great guy to work with.
Pros
Working with great people
Pretty good
Full-time Visiting English Professor (Former Employee) –  Rexburg, IDSeptember 1, 2015
The pay and benefits are great, and on a day-to-day basis, with everyday colleagues, the atmosphere is wonderful. The management is strange, though, with odd and unhelpful approaches to education and vague explanations of how to apply those approaches. The school is also incredibly callous when it comes to lay-offs, without so much as a good-bye or thank you. But while employed, it's pretty great.
clean and safe environment
PLUMBER/PIPEFITTER SERVICE TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  rexburg, IdahoJune 21, 2016
working at BYUI has been great. The people are enjoyable to work with and for. Its easy to leave work at work. Ive been there for six years and have felt safe and received the tools and clothing to do my job. I've learned to work with steam regulation and condensate return. the hardest thing about the job is the micromanagement from management.
Pros
the culture
Cons
the culture
Great place to work with great mentors
SAP Student Lead, Tutor, Grader (Current Employee) –  Laie, HIDecember 14, 2015
The best part is to be able to work closely with the supervisor. It also provides an opportunity to learn while working. The work-life balance is great here. The community is also very family oriented. The standard is very high, but it is very great to work here.
It's BYU.
Student Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTDecember 14, 2015
There are a lot of standards and expectations to uphold. The office where we worked at was held at an even higher standard considering we were representing the university to future students and alumni members who had any questions. However, it is very rewarding to be apart of such an organization and program. There are several notable individuals that have passed through that university and ave gone on to do great things. It was a great experience for me to work inside the financial aid and admissions office and offer any assistance i could to those who needed it.
Pros
Flexible with school schedule, local and friendly
Cons
Limited abilities to help.
working at the Brigham Young University Hawaii is a great experience for me.
Bloomberg Lab Manager and Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Laie, HINovember 30, 2015
Great place on the earth and it is a paradise that I have gained very good work skills at the costumer intensive service. The Brigham Young University is a great place to grow up your future careers.
Great working place with diverse people.
Student Accountant (Current Employee) –  Laie, HIDecember 14, 2015
I really working at BYU-Hawaii where diverse people work. I have learned many different cultures and love them all. Working while studying is not hard since my work is just so near.
Productive, fun place to work.
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Student CenterMarch 13, 2016
Awesome job! I recommend it to anyone. A typical day as a Y-Serve Graphic Designer includes clocking in, correlating meetings with program directors, independently designing and occasionally helping with the front desk.
Pros
Great coworkers, large office space, friendly people
Cons
often required to do many tasks at the same time
Great On-Campus Job
SAS & SQL Instructor (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJuly 20, 2016
What more could you ask of a job that you need to help you pay for college?? Nothing. Teaching at BYU allowed me to set a manageable schedule around classes, paid well for a student while staying close to other classes.
Challenging yet extremely productive
Student (Former Employee) –  Rexburg, IdahoMay 25, 2016
Like most universities the schedule is up to you. It is highly competitive yet the admission rate is still fairly high. Extremely low cost school to attend but with very high standards.
Pros
Low Cost
Cons
Strict Rules
Good people to work with, but pay is kinda low
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rexburg, IDFebruary 20, 2016
Honestly it is a super fun job if you like teaching people, but I just wish you got more pay per hour. You usually can get 20 hours a week, and that's I'll I had time for. As far as Rexburg goes it is as good a job you are going to get.
Pros
Great environment, low stress, autonomy
Cons
Pay isn't that great
Very Flexible
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTApril 11, 2016
Perfect place to work with your schedule. Employers are understanding and fair. I have become more responsible as an individual as these employers have mentored me through each job. They are personally invested in the long term success of their employees.
Great work ethics and employee rewards
English Language Instructor Latin America (Former Employee) –  IdahoApril 25, 2016
Excellent University to Work for! I learned as I worked. Very inspiring atmosphere.
As a teacher in class and online I was given the tools to lead students to success!!
Great school and great work environment
Education Information Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTMay 3, 2016
I worked in the Museum of Art. I enjoyed my colleagues and also had a nice time in the artistic environment. I wish I could go back and work there again.
Good place to earn money as a college student
Math Tutor/ Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Rexburg, IDJune 23, 2015
BYU-Idaho has been a good place to work as a college student. The hours are very reasonable and flexible to work around your life style. The people are good to work with here. Management needs some work though. They have a hard time making changes to problems and resolving issues. It is a place to have a job, but not a career.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Poor Management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Brigham Young University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.6