Brigham Young University Employee Reviews

A fantanstic place to be
Early Morning Custodian (Former Employee) –  Smith BuildingJuly 1, 2016
I have held a number of different jobs through out my undergraduate career, none of which have been as fulfilling as working with the people involved with custodial here at Brigham Young University - Idaho. The work starts early in the morning and can at times be very difficult to keep pace with, but the people and environment are more than ample compensation for this. I personally have enjoyed this job for the time I have been able to be a part of my cleaning crew, and would recommend it to anyone seeking employment while attending school.
Pros
Fantastic work environment, great peole to work with, strong management, clear job description
Cons
Early morning, dealing with repetitive problems, repetitive actions
Great environment and fun place to work
Lead Fire Alarm Student Technician (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTDecember 29, 2016
The people you work with are great and the benefits are great. It's the ideal job as it pays well and it gives you job security for years to come. The workload is usually steady with occasional needs for overtime.
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTFebruary 24, 2017
I really enjoyed my time with BYU. However in my year and a half of working my current job, I never received a pay raise. I found that to be very frustrating. Otherwise it was a very relaxed place to work and it had good atmosphere.
ENGLISH INSTRUCTOR (Current Employee) –  Rexburg, IDDecember 17, 2016
Great place to work .Not a lot of advancement opportunities for online instructors, but otherwise it's great. Highly recommending working here.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
low salary
Fun, productive environment
Fire Safety Technician (Current Employee) –  Rexburg, IDDecember 1, 2016
Working in the Safety and Securit Office at Brigham Young University - Idaho has been a wonderful experience, over the past two and a half years. My bosses are kind and understanding about time constraints as a full-time student with a family, they allow the hours to be flexible. Sometimes they are TOO nice and don't give writeups to people who should be written up. Other than that, I have no complaints about working at BYU-I.
Pros
Relaxed work environment, kind people, flexible hours
Cons
Management is sometime too nice
An Amazing Job
Economics Tutor (Former Employee) –  Rexburg, IDAugust 28, 2016
Every day I would help a different person, which was one of my favorite parts of my job. I love helping as many people as possible, and it helped me to find different ways to explain difficult concepts. I learned so much from listening to how my co-workers would explain the same things, and it helped further my understanding as well. The hardest part of tutoring was trying to help students who only wanted answers rather than an understanding of the principles. These students, however, lead to a greater appreciation of the students who really did want to understand. Eager students, who were willing to learn, were the most enjoyable part of the job. I loved the management, the responsibilities, and my co-workers.
Educational with opportunities for occupation opportunities
German Courses Instructor (Former Employee) –  Provo, UT 84604January 7, 2017
Not only is this university highly accredited for their academics, but they also provide a wide variety of work experience opportunities. These work opportunities also come with the possibility of advancement.
clean and safe environment
PLUMBER/PIPEFITTER SERVICE TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  rexburg, IdahoJune 21, 2016
working at BYUI has been great. The people are enjoyable to work with and for. Its easy to leave work at work. Ive been there for six years and have felt safe and received the tools and clothing to do my job. I've learned to work with steam regulation and condensate return. the hardest thing about the job is the micromanagement from management.
Pros
the culture
Cons
the culture
Lead Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTNovember 29, 2016
Focused on people and have very good benefits. Gov't contractor but will help you diversify and become an asset that is useful across the company. Very good place to work.
Very accomodating, have helped a lot of students find their dream job
Academic Trainee (Former Employee) –  BYU - Hawaii Campus Safety and SecuritySeptember 21, 2016
Internships/Academic Trainings are not usually offered in our department. However, the management is giving graduate students the time that they need to find a permanent job and gather experience while waiting for that opportunity. I managed security cameras all over the BYU - Hawaii Campus and the nearby Polynesian Cultural Center.
High-stress yet fulfilling
Kitchen Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTSeptember 18, 2016
We were responsible for coordinating and facilitating the meals for BYU's football team. Given the large amounts of money and pressure associated with such a high-ranking program, it was imperative their nutrition be carried out to exact standards. Over the summer we were understaffed so we had to take on multiple tasks at a time to prepare various dishes, perform various maintenance jobs, and assure that the kitchen was running well. Over August I worked from 5:30am to 9pm to ensure this happened. As a kitchen supervisor I was in charge of coordinating with the head chef and other cooks to complete all of this.

From this I learned how to balance the micro/macro balance of a work day. There are degrees of importance, and quickly knowing how to approach various tasks was imperative.
Organized work place with daily team building activities
Games Manager Lead (Former Employee) –  Rexburg, IDAugust 25, 2016
A typical day involved me communicating with the games managers that I was responsible for and making sure that they were prepared for the week. I was also in charge of being the intermediary between the advisers and the athletes so I was constantly in meetings and on the phone making sure schedules were organized in our software system and that everyone was aware of dates and times of events. The hardest part of the job was dealing with conflict. It wasn't so much the conflict that was hear to deal with but the way that the players reacted to being suspended form playing because we really wanted everyone to be involved. My favorite part of the job was training's. I really enjoyed preparing and giving training's to the team.
Pros
Free T-shirts
Cons
Someone was always unhappy with you
Being a research assistant is the perfect job for students.
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTJanuary 9, 2017
I've learned more working on grad student projects than I have in a lot of my other classes. I feel that the relationships I've made with the grad students and professor have been just as important also. I also love that the hours are completely flexible- perfect for students. You never have to worry about school conflicting with your job.
Fulfilling work that allowed personal growth
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJanuary 18, 2017
I was able to learn much doing habitat research for the forest service, as well as develop leadership in training new team members. The hardest part of the job was the physicality and exhaustion after being out in the elements for a long shift. I learned how to work well with others and find success in working as a team.
Spiritual Academia
INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTFebruary 10, 2017
If you are looking for a place to nourish both your mind and soul, it would be difficult to find a better place than BYU. Both standards there are high and it shows in the quality of everything they do.
Pros
Great Work - Life Balance
Cons
It is academia - with all that implies
Great
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rexburg, IDFebruary 8, 2017
Great Place to work. Nice people are everywhere. You can always get help. People love to work. People are very friendly towards others.
Pros
Great
Cons
NO cons
Good management and a place to learn as a student
Student Secretary (Former Employee) –  HawaiiJanuary 15, 2017
A good place for student to learn and earn working experience. The school provide jobs for student to earn some income to support their living while studying.
Pros
The school job helped my finance while I was studying
Cons
Keep my student life super busy
Clean, organized, and friendly environment
Assistant Head Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Rexburg, IDAugust 17, 2016
A typical day at work requires coming in and making sure everything is organized and that every employee is doing their duty. The other part requires ensuring the safety of everyone who enters the pool deck. Occasionally I come in to check if the employees are checking the chemicals. I have a great staff, excellent boss. The hardest part is getting people to understand the rules without getting angry. The most enjoyable part is making sure everyone is having a good time.
Pros
flexible with hours
Cons
no break
Great Enviorment
Business School Professor's Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rexburg, IDDecember 27, 2016
Great environment. You just feel at home when you are here. The people are really easy to get along with. Everybody is very welcoming. I would go back in a heart beat.
Pros
Great Enviorment
Cons
None yet
Neat experience that helped me grow
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTDecember 28, 2016
I grew to enjoy working with other people and collaborating with them on projects. Although the research topic I worked on was tedious and somewhat new, I enjoyed the challenge.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Brigham Young University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3