Brigham Young University

Brigham Young University Employer Reviews

University life is wonderful
Student Employee (Former Employee), Provo,utJanuary 26, 2015
Taught elementary education social studies methods classes and supervised student teachers.
This is the future of online higher education.
Online Teaching Group Leader (Former Employee), Rexburg, IdahoJanuary 21, 2015
BYU-Idaho is looking for ways to offer higher education to every student who desires to learn.
Devoted to providing students with excellent academic, leadership, social, and religious experiences at an extremely affordable price
Faculty (Current Employee), Rexburg, IDJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: stimulating, meaningful work, strong support of family life and commitments of belief and conscience, strong support for professional development, strong emphasis on meaningful interaction with students, strong support for innovative thinking, friendly and principled environment
Cons: lack of diversity among faculty and student body, lack of cultural opportunities in surrounding community
BYU-Idaho is an institution of higher learning with a primary focus on student learning. Faculty are supported in any effort to become excellent teachers. Students are provided not only with top quality classroom instruction, but also with an abundance of opportunities to acquire leadership, organizational, and service-oriented experiences.

In general, my colleagues are skillful, dedicated, kind, generous individuals who have chosen to teach at BYU-Idaho for reasons related to personal convictions. This creates a uniquely supportive, synergistic environment that is far more cooperative than competitive.

Because of BYU-Idaho's dual commitment to excellent education and low costs, expectations for faculty members are high. The work is abundant, but stimulating, creative, and satisfying. BYU-Idaho takes a very progressive approach to higher education, so course design, development, and delivery are part of every faculty member's workload. Change and experimentation are a way of life at BYU-Idaho, on a level that, in my experience, is unique among institutions of higher learning.

The most challenging part of the job--the amount of timely, innovative work to be completed--is also one of the most enjoyable parts. Another pleasure lies in the university's encouragement of teacher-student interaction and shared learning experiences.
Close-knit workplace with flexibility and security
Cleaning Supervisor (Former Employee), Provo, UTJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: fun work environment; discount on lunches; positive co-workers.
Cons: early work schedule to juggle with school classes
Going to work was always enjoyable. We'd start together as a team of supervisors, where our various assignments would be delegated to us. We'd work each day with a different group of people who would come in to clean the facilities. Each day was different with different duties to be performed and tasks completed. My boss and co-workers were easy to get along with, and fun to work with. As a college student, they were flexible, and it wasn't hard for me to balance my school with work. The hardest part of the job was the time: waking up at 5 each day, with the other responsibilities I had in my school and social life. The most enjoyable part was working with the cleaners. It was always easy to have fun with them, and I loved getting to know them. We'd always find some way to be creative with the work--making games and things to challenge them. Overall, I enjoyed the job a lot, and it stretched me to be a better supervisor and leader.
Great People, Great Environment, Engaging Work
Computing Specialist II (Former Employee), Provo, UTJanuary 2, 2015
Pros: clean, friendly work environment.
Cons: as with any large organization, bureaucracy imposes complexity.
Working at a university provides many opportunities to learn new things on about any subject you can imagine.

The people you work for are the friendliest you will find, and are family focused, so they understand the needs of working parents.

One of the most interesting and challenging things you might be involved in is assisting with research projects. Working with experts exploring new aspects of their area of expertise provides a great chance to learn about something new in depth.

If the opportunity to work at BYU arises, don't pass it up!
As a student, fantastic!
Security Analyst (Current Employee), Provo, UTJanuary 1, 2015
BYU does a fantastic job of giving incredible employment opportunities to it's students wishing to work in IT. BYU in general is a national leader in student employment. I've had real professional experience in my profession leading up to graduation, rather than having to scramble to find some after graduation. Very thankful for that.

As for IT positions for full-time employees, I can't say much because I'm not one.
Really Awesome!
Peer Mentor (Former Employee), 2104 Jesse Knight BuildingDecember 22, 2014
Pros: fun, fulfilling
Cons: part-time
Loved working here. Helped students understand resources and how to succeed.
Great place to learn and advance
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Provo, UTDecember 6, 2014
Since I am doing a Master's degree with an emphasis in Bioinformatics, I get to interact with student bioinformaticians and with students that work in a laboratory setting. They are all willing to teach you valuable skills and have a great sense of teamwork.
Poor pay and lots of politics
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Laie, HINovember 13, 2014
Overall BYUH doesn't offer much compensation, but depending on what department you work for it can be a great opportunity to learn and practice skills.

The flexibility is nice for a student job.
Great Professional Environment
Adjunct Faculty and Office Assistant (Former Employee), Provo, UTOctober 20, 2014
Kind and supportive faculty and student body. It is nice to work in a religious institution.
Beautiful learning/teaching environment with various resources
English 101 Instructor (Former Employee), Laie, HIOctober 16, 2014
Pros: excellent managers and crew/staff, lasting friendships
Cons: low wage, minimal opportunities for raises or promotions, some requirements felt more restricting than helpful
A typical day at work includes scheduling appointments with students, conducting a class with a minimum. I had to create and organize a syllabus to guide 20 students through a semester. I was also responsible for introducing national and international students’ to college level reading, writing, and analyzing various ranges and genres of English literature. Holding students responsible for their grades was one of the hardest parts of being an instructor, as well as grading students’ assignments and confronting those who lack in reaching requirements, daily. It was the hardest part because I would give them feedback on their work, and they almost never applied it.

I learned to be better organized, especially when taking on a major responsibility (like workshops or classes), and had multiple opportunities to assist in the development of both national and international students' reading, writing, and analyzing English.

I became a student manager once I qualified for CRLA Level 3 tutor, which is the highest I could attain at BYUH. The director and supervisor of the Reading Writing Center became close friends of mine and helped make it possible for me to teach during the Summer Semester 2014. During which, my mentor observed my class 3 times in order to give me tips on teaching and witness my progression.

My co-workers were mostly supportive and eventually felt like a work family. However, the most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the progress of an International student who could barely form a comprehensive sentence to the final research paper where a student is producing full arguments with support and conclusions. It's a beautiful sight to experience, and honestly, it made the hard parts worth it.
Productive and fun workplace
Biochemistry -General ChemistryTutor (Former Employee), Laie, HIOctober 13, 2014
Pros: sometimes free food.
Cons: at times no one would come in for tutoring.
I tutored students nightly and would hold weekly study sessions. I also graded assignments when students were not present for tutoring. The hardest part of the job was in trying to satisfy everyone's needs if for example many students were present a particular day. I love helping students solve and understand complex problems, helping them know the basics and understand the material for themselves.
Gained good work experience and very flexible with school schedule.
STUDENT SECRETARY (Former Employee), Provo, UTOctober 10, 2014
Brigham Young University is a great place to work. They are more than willing to work around your class and testing schedule for school. As a working student, I was able to gain a lot of experience working with students, full-time staff, and professors alike. I learned to be very flexible, yet efficient with my work as there were multiple people needing my services at any given time. I enjoyed being able to work with people and not just being behind a computer the whole time.
Best Place
IT Engineer IV - Software Developer (Former Employee), Provo, UTOctober 2, 2014
Pros: healthcare, discounts, learning opportunities, free classes
I have never worked anywhere as enjoyable as BYU. The politics was easily manageable, my supervisor was great at not micromanaging and enabling you to get your job done while still making sure that you had the understanding, tools, and assistance necessary to complete your tasks.

The longer I was there the more I liked it. The benefits are superb. The pay is... okay. But the benefits make up for a lot of that because of all that the university pays for insurance premiums, etc. Anyway, I can't say enough good stuff about working at BYU.
Good opportunities for students
Research Fellow (Former Employee), Provo, UTSeptember 30, 2014
Pros: flexible hours, good exposure to faculty
Cons: low pay and sometimes
BYU offers a variety of employment opportunities, and several of the programs and offices have paid positions with transferable skills. For example, I worked in the Political Science department's Center for the Study of Elections and Democracy (CSED), which was run like a graduate lab.
A pure joy to work there.
Adjunct Professor of religious education (Former Employee), Rexburg, IDSeptember 26, 2014
Pros: great co-workers, great students to work with.
Cons: as an adjunct, i could teach only one semester per year.
I was invited to teach freshmen religion classes for three semesters at BYU-Idaho, and I found the experience to be absolutely delightful. The staff are friendly, intelligent, caring, knowledgeable, and approachable. I had lots of support from the administration and my co-workers. I would gladly work there full-time if I could!
Opportunities to interact and excel
Teaching Assistant and Research Assistant (Current Employee), Provo, UTSeptember 22, 2014
Working at Brigham Young University gave me the opportunity to interact with students, professors, alumni, and devoted cougar fans. These diverse work relationships allowed me to understand how to excel in a professional work environment and learn from those around me. I am confident that the experiences I have had here will propel me to be successful in my future endeavors.
Nice Graduate school to attend
PhD Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee), Provo, UTSeptember 10, 2014
If you are a LDS this is heaven on hearth for you. If you are not, its not like you are in he** either. Its a decent school with great research opportunities. Research work is at par of MIT and Stanford. They have lots of funding and lots of job opportunities. Tuition fees are probably the cheapest in entire USA. If you are a non Mormon single, life will be slightly different for you here. Job opportunities after graduation varies with field of study.
Janitorial Work
Student Janitor (Former Employee), Rexburg, IdahoSeptember 10, 2014
Pros: early morning before classes started therefore i had the rest of the day for class and study
Cons: it started at 4:30am
Typical day involved taking out office garbage, vacuuming offices and hallways, and cleaning bathrooms.
Great University
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Provo, UTSeptember 3, 2014
Great work/life balance, great research atmosphere, nice people.

1 2 3 4 5

About Brigham Young University

Founded in 1875, Brigham Young University has grown from a small pioneer academy to one of the world's largest private universities, – Read more