Brigham Young University

Brigham Young University United States Employee Reviews

Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Provo, UTApril 4, 2015
Part time jobs are easy to find
They work well with your schedule
They give you any support that you need
Non discriminatory
fun job, lots of students lots of plants
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee), Rexburg, IDMarch 28, 2015
I had three responsibilities: Grade papers, set up lab, work in hydroponic green house. I loved my boss who was also a teacher for some of my classes. The pay wasn't great but the experience was.
be friends with supervisor
Book Store - Sales Clerk (Current Employee), Laie, HIMarch 22, 2015
Pros: flexible work hours
Cons: minimum wage
Be friends with supervisor, and you will be fine. I see my supervisor almost every time I work. Chatting with her, and willing to do the task she is asked to create a harmonious work environment.
Human Resources
Student clerk (Current Employee), LaieMarch 15, 2015
Pros: free food from time to time
Cons: short break
It is a great place to work. I lean and grow a lot from helping other people. The most enjoyable part is to help out with special events.
Wonderful place to work
Office of the General Counsel (Current Employee), Provo, UTMarch 2, 2015
Enjoyed friendship with co-workers. I learned to multitask and complete assignments in a timely fashion. Management was easy to work with.
Brilliant Organizational Structure
Economics Research Assistant (Former Employee), Provo, UTFebruary 27, 2015
Brigham Young University is unlike any other organization of higher learning. It hires students to work in entry level positions throughout the university. This includes clerical, custodial, and base administrative positions. This provides many more employment opportunities for students to pay for their way through school. It also allows for lower university wages since most positions are part time. The university then passes these savings onto the students through lower university costs and astronomically low tuition rates.
Instructing online is enjoyable and rewarding
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee), Rexburg, IDFebruary 21, 2015
Pros: highly motivated instructors, 90% of the students are eager to learn
Cons: pay is good/not the highest
The most enjoyable part of the job is instructing students, and having a very supportive university for students of all backgrounds.
For a college job, not bad
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Provo, UTJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: conveniently located, promoted learning and independence
Cons: not a lot of guidance, compensation could have been better
Working as a Research Assistant and a Teaching Assistant for BYU was satisfactory while I was a student. It was very conveniently located since my classes were in the same building and while I was a Research Assistant I got to choose my own hours. Because I was programming for a Sociology professor who didn't understand some of the processes of coding, sometimes it was difficult trying to explain what information I needed from him and why. But I learned a lot about communication and how my Sociology degree and Computer Science minor coincide. I was able to extract the data we needed from thousands of Word Documents and then analyze that data with my professor. Overall, it was a great learning experience and I would do it again.
University life is wonderful
Student Employee (Former Employee), Provo,utJanuary 26, 2015
Taught elementary education social studies methods classes and supervised student teachers.
This is the future of online higher education.
Online Teaching Group Leader (Former Employee), Rexburg, IdahoJanuary 21, 2015
BYU-Idaho is looking for ways to offer higher education to every student who desires to learn.
Devoted to providing students with excellent academic, leadership, social, and religious experiences at an extremely affordable price
Faculty (Current Employee), Rexburg, IDJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: stimulating, meaningful work, strong support of family life and commitments of belief and conscience, strong support for professional development, strong emphasis on meaningful interaction with students, strong support for innovative thinking, friendly and principled environment
Cons: lack of diversity among faculty and student body, lack of cultural opportunities in surrounding community
BYU-Idaho is an institution of higher learning with a primary focus on student learning. Faculty are supported in any effort to become excellent teachers. Students are provided not only with top quality classroom instruction, but also with an abundance of opportunities to acquire leadership, organizational, and service-oriented experiences.

In general, my colleagues are skillful, dedicated, kind, generous individuals who have chosen to teach at BYU-Idaho for reasons related to personal convictions. This creates a uniquely supportive, synergistic environment that is far more cooperative than competitive.

Because of BYU-Idaho's dual commitment to excellent education and low costs, expectations for faculty members are high. The work is abundant, but stimulating, creative, and satisfying. BYU-Idaho takes a very progressive approach to higher education, so course design, development, and delivery are part of every faculty member's workload. Change and experimentation are a way of life at BYU-Idaho, on a level that, in my experience, is unique among institutions of higher learning.

The most challenging part of the job--the amount of timely, innovative work to be completed--is also one of the most enjoyable parts. Another pleasure lies in the university's encouragement of teacher-student interaction and shared learning experiences.
Close-knit workplace with flexibility and security
Cleaning Supervisor (Former Employee), Provo, UTJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: fun work environment; discount on lunches; positive co-workers.
Cons: early work schedule to juggle with school classes
Going to work was always enjoyable. We'd start together as a team of supervisors, where our various assignments would be delegated to us. We'd work each day with a different group of people who would come in to clean the facilities. Each day was different with different duties to be performed and tasks completed. My boss and co-workers were easy to get along with, and fun to work with. As a college student, they were flexible, and it wasn't hard for me to balance my school with work. The hardest part of the job was the time: waking up at 5 each day, with the other responsibilities I had in my school and social life. The most enjoyable part was working with the cleaners. It was always easy to have fun with them, and I loved getting to know them. We'd always find some way to be creative with the work--making games and things to challenge them. Overall, I enjoyed the job a lot, and it stretched me to be a better supervisor and leader.
Great People, Great Environment, Engaging Work
Computing Specialist II (Former Employee), Provo, UTJanuary 2, 2015
Pros: clean, friendly work environment.
Cons: as with any large organization, bureaucracy imposes complexity.
Working at a university provides many opportunities to learn new things on about any subject you can imagine.

The people you work for are the friendliest you will find, and are family focused, so they understand the needs of working parents.

One of the most interesting and challenging things you might be involved in is assisting with research projects. Working with experts exploring new aspects of their area of expertise provides a great chance to learn about something new in depth.

If the opportunity to work at BYU arises, don't pass it up!
As a student, fantastic!
Security Analyst (Current Employee), Provo, UTJanuary 1, 2015
BYU does a fantastic job of giving incredible employment opportunities to it's students wishing to work in IT. BYU in general is a national leader in student employment. I've had real professional experience in my profession leading up to graduation, rather than having to scramble to find some after graduation. Very thankful for that.

As for IT positions for full-time employees, I can't say much because I'm not one.
Really Awesome!
Peer Mentor (Former Employee), 2104 Jesse Knight BuildingDecember 22, 2014
Pros: fun, fulfilling
Cons: part-time
Loved working here. Helped students understand resources and how to succeed.
Great place to learn and advance
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Provo, UTDecember 6, 2014
Since I am doing a Master's degree with an emphasis in Bioinformatics, I get to interact with student bioinformaticians and with students that work in a laboratory setting. They are all willing to teach you valuable skills and have a great sense of teamwork.
Poor pay and lots of politics
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Laie, HINovember 13, 2014
Overall BYUH doesn't offer much compensation, but depending on what department you work for it can be a great opportunity to learn and practice skills.

The flexibility is nice for a student job.
Great Professional Environment
Adjunct Faculty and Office Assistant (Former Employee), Provo, UTOctober 20, 2014
Kind and supportive faculty and student body. It is nice to work in a religious institution.
Beautiful learning/teaching environment with various resources
English 101 Instructor (Former Employee), Laie, HIOctober 16, 2014
Pros: excellent managers and crew/staff, lasting friendships
Cons: low wage, minimal opportunities for raises or promotions, some requirements felt more restricting than helpful
A typical day at work includes scheduling appointments with students, conducting a class with a minimum. I had to create and organize a syllabus to guide 20 students through a semester. I was also responsible for introducing national and international students’ to college level reading, writing, and analyzing various ranges and genres of English literature. Holding students responsible for their grades was one of the hardest parts of being an instructor, as well as grading students’ assignments and confronting those who lack in reaching requirements, daily. It was the hardest part because I would give them feedback on their work, and they almost never applied it.

I learned to be better organized, especially when taking on a major responsibility (like workshops or classes), and had multiple opportunities to assist in the development of both national and international students' reading, writing, and analyzing English.

I became a student manager once I qualified for CRLA Level 3 tutor, which is the highest I could attain at BYUH. The director and supervisor of the Reading Writing Center became close friends of mine and helped make it possible for me to teach during the Summer Semester 2014. During which, my mentor observed my class 3 times in order to give me tips on teaching and witness my progression.

My co-workers were mostly supportive and eventually felt like a work family. However, the most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the progress of an International student who could barely form a comprehensive sentence to the final research paper where a student is producing full arguments with support and conclusions. It's a beautiful sight to experience, and honestly, it made the hard parts worth it.
Productive and fun workplace
Biochemistry -General ChemistryTutor (Former Employee), Laie, HIOctober 13, 2014
Pros: sometimes free food.
Cons: at times no one would come in for tutoring.
I tutored students nightly and would hold weekly study sessions. I also graded assignments when students were not present for tutoring. The hardest part of the job was in trying to satisfy everyone's needs if for example many students were present a particular day. I love helping students solve and understand complex problems, helping them know the basics and understand the material for themselves.

1 2 3 4 5

About Brigham Young University

Founded in 1875, Brigham Young University has grown from a small pioneer academy to one of the world's largest private universities, – Read more

Brigham Young University Photos