Brigham Young University

Brigham Young University Employee Reviews in United States

A fantanstic place to be
Early Morning Custodian (Former Employee) –  Smith BuildingJuly 1, 2016
I have held a number of different jobs through out my undergraduate career, none of which have been as fulfilling as working with the people involved with custodial here at Brigham Young University - Idaho. The work starts early in the morning and can at times be very difficult to keep pace with, but the people and environment are more than ample compensation for this. I personally have enjoyed this job for the time I have been able to be a part of my cleaning crew, and would recommend it to anyone seeking employment while attending school.
Pros
Fantastic work environment, great peole to work with, strong management, clear job description
Cons
Early morning, dealing with repetitive problems, repetitive actions
clean and safe environment
PLUMBER/PIPEFITTER SERVICE TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  rexburg, IdahoJune 21, 2016
working at BYUI has been great. The people are enjoyable to work with and for. Its easy to leave work at work. Ive been there for six years and have felt safe and received the tools and clothing to do my job. I've learned to work with steam regulation and condensate return. the hardest thing about the job is the micromanagement from management.
Pros
the culture
Cons
the culture
Comfortable work environment with reliable schedule and great coworkers
Security Guard in the Harold B. Lee Library (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJune 15, 2016
My work here consisted of coming to work before my shift began so I could change into my uniform, clock in, and inform dispatch that I was on duty. Positions every half hour, and each rotation consisted of observing patrons, monitoring security cameras and library equipment, answering phones and patron inquiries, and being prepared to respond to emergency situations.

My coworkers were friendly and personable, and made the experience enjoyable. The hardest part of the job was staying focused and attentive during "slow" hours when few patrons were coming in and out of the library.
Pros
Great coworkers, opportunities to interact with library collection
Cons
Limited breaks, very repetitive, restrictive hours
Productive work environment and amazing coworkers
CUSTODIAN (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTMarch 15, 2016
I have loved working with these kind, respectful, smart coworkers as I complete my cleaning tasks each day. I have learned how to use several different cleaning tools and how to be quick and effective in my cleaning techniques. My boss is so kind as well which is a great aspect of working at this job. The hardest part of the job is getting up at 4 AM and being to work on time while also being awake enough to function. The most enjoyable part is associating with my coworkers and having the satisfaction of turning a messy room into a spotless room.
Pros
Nice staff, clean environment, good pay, clear responsibilities, set hours
Cons
very early mornings
Productive, fun place to work.
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Student CenterMarch 13, 2016
Awesome job! I recommend it to anyone. A typical day as a Y-Serve Graphic Designer includes clocking in, correlating meetings with program directors, independently designing and occasionally helping with the front desk.
Pros
Great coworkers, large office space, friendly people
Cons
often required to do many tasks at the same time
Great work environment with supportive and innovative management
IT Training Manager (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJanuary 21, 2016
The Office of IT at BYU is a great place to work. There is a strong overall desire to provide and support the campus technology needs. There is a genuine interest in helping fulfill the mission of the University. The co-workers are generally competent and great to work with.
Pros
Supportive Management, Great co-workers, Positive environment
Cons
Pay is typically below average
Very Flexible
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTApril 11, 2016
Perfect place to work with your schedule. Employers are understanding and fair. I have become more responsible as an individual as these employers have mentored me through each job. They are personally invested in the long term success of their employees.
Good people to work with, but pay is kinda low
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rexburg, IDFebruary 20, 2016
Honestly it is a super fun job if you like teaching people, but I just wish you got more pay per hour. You usually can get 20 hours a week, and that's I'll I had time for. As far as Rexburg goes it is as good a job you are going to get.
Pros
Great environment, low stress, autonomy
Cons
Pay isn't that great
Great On-Campus Job
SAS & SQL Instructor (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJuly 20, 2016
What more could you ask of a job that you need to help you pay for college?? Nothing. Teaching at BYU allowed me to set a manageable schedule around classes, paid well for a student while staying close to other classes.
Challenging yet extremely productive
Student (Former Employee) –  Rexburg, IdahoMay 25, 2016
Like most universities the schedule is up to you. It is highly competitive yet the admission rate is still fairly high. Extremely low cost school to attend but with very high standards.
Pros
Low Cost
Cons
Strict Rules
Great work ethics and employee rewards
English Language Instructor Latin America (Former Employee) –  IdahoApril 25, 2016
Excellent University to Work for! I learned as I worked. Very inspiring atmosphere.
As a teacher in class and online I was given the tools to lead students to success!!
It's BYU.
Student Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTDecember 14, 2015
There are a lot of standards and expectations to uphold. The office where we worked at was held at an even higher standard considering we were representing the university to future students and alumni members who had any questions. However, it is very rewarding to be apart of such an organization and program. There are several notable individuals that have passed through that university and ave gone on to do great things. It was a great experience for me to work inside the financial aid and admissions office and offer any assistance i could to those who needed it.
Pros
Flexible with school schedule, local and friendly
Cons
Limited abilities to help.
Quality co-workers and friendly manager
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTApril 8, 2016
Everyone knew what they were supposed to do and how they were supposed to do it for the BYU janitor team. We got the jobs done and worked like a well-oiled machine.
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
Bad hours
Great school and great work environment
Education Information Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTMay 3, 2016
I worked in the Museum of Art. I enjoyed my colleagues and also had a nice time in the artistic environment. I wish I could go back and work there again.
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rexburg, IDMarch 6, 2016
BYU-Idaho is a great place to work at because they are flexible with your school schedule. The position as a Teachers Assistant can be challenging. My recommendation is managing and prioritizing your time efficiently
Pros
Flexible
A decent place for a student to get a job
Physics Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTMarch 29, 2016
I love teaching, so I thought it was the best job in the world to be a tutorial TA. I would have worked for free if it wasn't for my own homework.
Pros
Close to school, best job ever
Cons
Small pay
Great University
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJuly 15, 2016
Engaging and stimulating work environment. Facilities and staff are all supportive. The school is centrally located in the university.
Fast-paced environment
Walk-in coordinator (Former Employee) –  Rexburg, IDApril 11, 2016
Fast-paced environment. You are never in one location for long. Management works well with your schedule to allow time for school if still a student.
Great place to work with great mentors
SAP Student Lead, Tutor, Grader (Current Employee) –  Laie, HIDecember 14, 2015
The best part is to be able to work closely with the supervisor. It also provides an opportunity to learn while working. The work-life balance is great here. The community is also very family oriented. The standard is very high, but it is very great to work here.
Great place to work for
Online Spanish Teacher (Former Employee) –  Rexburg, IDFebruary 24, 2016
I graduated from here, so it was a pleasure to work for them. The values and work ethics matched-up with mine. I would work for them again if I had the opportunity.
Pros
Same values
Cons
part-time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Brigham Young University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.6