Brigham Young University

Brigham Young University Employee Reviews

Beautiful learning/teaching environment with various resources
English 101 Instructor (Former Employee) –  Laie, HIOctober 16, 2014
A typical day at work includes scheduling appointments with students, conducting a class with a minimum. I had to create and organize a syllabus to guide 20 students through a semester. I was also responsible for introducing national and international students’ to college level reading, writing, and analyzing various ranges and genres of English literature. Holding students responsible for their grades was one of the hardest parts of being an instructor, as well as grading students’ assignments and confronting those who lack in reaching requirements, daily. It was the hardest part because I would give them feedback on their work, and they almost never applied it.

I learned to be better organized, especially when taking on a major responsibility (like workshops or classes), and had multiple opportunities to assist in the development of both national and international students' reading, writing, and analyzing English.

I became a student manager once I qualified for CRLA Level 3 tutor, which is the highest I could attain at BYUH. The director and supervisor of the Reading Writing Center became close friends of mine and helped make it possible for me to teach during the Summer Semester 2014. During which, my mentor observed my class 3 times in order to give me tips on teaching and witness my progression.

My co-workers were mostly supportive and eventually felt like a work family. However, the most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the progress of an International student who could barely form a comprehensive sentence to the final research paper where a student is producing
  more... full arguments with support and conclusions. It's a beautiful sight to experience, and honestly, it made the hard parts worth it.  less
Pros
excellent managers and crew/staff, lasting friendships
Cons
low wage, minimal opportunities for raises or promotions, some requirements felt more restricting than helpful
Devoted to providing students with excellent academic, leadership, social, and religious experiences at an extremely affordable price
Faculty (Current Employee) –  Rexburg, IDJanuary 19, 2015
BYU-Idaho is an institution of higher learning with a primary focus on student learning. Faculty are supported in any effort to become excellent teachers. Students are provided not only with top quality classroom instruction, but also with an abundance of opportunities to acquire leadership, organizational, and service-oriented experiences.

In general, my colleagues are skillful, dedicated, kind, generous individuals who have chosen to teach at BYU-Idaho for reasons related to personal convictions. This creates a uniquely supportive, synergistic environment that is far more cooperative than competitive.

Because of BYU-Idaho's dual commitment to excellent education and low costs, expectations for faculty members are high. The work is abundant, but stimulating, creative, and satisfying. BYU-Idaho takes a very progressive approach to higher education, so course design, development, and delivery are part of every faculty member's workload. Change and experimentation are a way of life at BYU-Idaho, on a level that, in my experience, is unique among institutions of higher learning.

The most challenging part of the job--the amount of timely, innovative work to be completed--is also one of the most enjoyable parts. Another pleasure lies in the university's encouragement of teacher-student interaction and shared learning experiences.
Pros
stimulating, meaningful work, strong support of family life and commitments of belief and conscience, strong support for professional development, strong emphasis on meaningful interaction with students, strong support for innovative thinking, friendly and principled environment
Cons
lack of diversity among faculty and student body, lack of cultural opportunities in surrounding community
Pleasant Atmosphere, Understanding Management
Accounting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTAugust 5, 2013
A typical work day starts with updating my Excel sheet with a query of recent changes of vendors in Peoplesoft, particularly their method of payment. I have see if my manager converted any of them to electronic payments. I proceed to make cold calls to the vendors we pay the most often, and follow up on past leads. After a few hours of this procedure, I begin scanning and data entering purchase card orders, invoices, journals, and checks. On certain days, I match checks and electronic payments to invoices in preparation of payment.
This position has taught me: how to multitask, cold call ethics, Peoplesoft navigation, data entry, how to scan, and how to overcome technological and social barriers. Learning about the cost of postage and stationary has shown me the economic and environmental benefits of electronic payments and digital invoices.
Co-workers are mostly students, as well. Therefore, they are pleasant enough, but they usually have little time to socialize outside of the office. They are very focused.
Management acknowledges that school comes first, but expects employees to focus on office tasks while on the clock. They give us potluck parties once a month for completing the monthly set of batches on time.
The most difficult part of the job is trying to get extra hours and sharing work with other employees.
The most enjoyable part of the job is by far is the attitude of the management. They understand that school is exhausting, and they give delicious rewards for hard work.
Pros
great management
Cons
limited amount of hours allowed by the university
Great place to learn and grow while providing a great service!
Billing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Rexburg, IDApril 11, 2014
A typical day at work was answering phones, assisting patients as needed, and following a basic task list of daily and weekly duties. Adjustments and changes were made as other departments requested assistance in training and additional projects.

I learned a bit more about the new HIPPA guidelines and some new ways to use data spreadsheets and operating systems.

Management was a bit different than I had been previously exposed to. The area director was the head of the health center with a manager over billing and reception which were both college students, often in an internship situation, with an administrative mentor and department mentor. I worked very closely with my department mentor and had a rotating/changing schedule which enabled me to be available to provide coverage for our department and balance my class schedule.

Co-workers were a wide variety of personalities and ages, although each of us were students, minus administration and faculty. They were great to work with and it was a great opportunity to share my experience being that most had not experience in such positions.

The hardest part of the job was the scheduling and break downs in communication between leadership. The management set up made it semi-difficult to maintain balance between departments when projects needed to be completed.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the people that I worked with and the opportunity to self-manage. I was trusted to do my job and stay on top efficiency and accuracy.
Pros
great people
Cons
no benefits as students.
Productive and fun at work place with awesome co-worker and guests
Language Tutor (Current Employee) –  Laie, HIAugust 16, 2013
Students rushed in to get materials for learning a specific language everyday. I always learn how to say few phrases in many different languages. I love to learn about different cultures and languages.It really helps me communicate better and relate how I feel easily to people of different backgrounds, growing experiences, cultures, and attitudes. The management is amazing. We gained her trust and we are pretty much self-supervised. Her trust help us do our very best as we serve our guest. We loved it! My co-workers are amazing as well. We are very flexible and are willing to help each other. When we need to switched day off, we simply follow the procedure with exactness. We make notice on the schedule after the agreement, then email our boss for written proof and we closed the deal. The only potential challenge is when student who speak a foreign language and not English comes in and trying to hassle me. I can only speak Samoan and English. I wanted to help that person so bad but I cannot understand. So to fix that I am trying to learn Korean or Chinese. The most enjoyable of part of the job is that it gives me the opportunity to learn upfront skills to help be establish professionalism to cope with the real world. Overall, I am grateful I have job to put a roof over my family, put the food on the table, pay the bills, and serve others.
Pros
develop networking with other cultures
Cons
language boundaries
The campus always looks great!
GROUNDS CREW (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTDecember 16, 2015
It is a great school, and the Grounds Crews are great! Everyone does a great job and works really hard. A typical workday varies, but we maintain the Provo Temple Grounds by doing the basic lawn care and doing show removal when it snows. We pick up the leaves that fall off all the trees, and weed all the flowerbeds and we prune the trees and bushes.
I have learned a lot at this job. How to properly use all the machines, and how to better work with others.
The Management was great! They have Student Appreciation Day every once in a while for all the grounds crew workers.
All my coworkers I have worked with have honestly been the best I have ever worked with, ever! I have really grown to love them, and appreciate them! We all have gotten really close with each other, and have become really great friends. I really have enjoyed working with them.
I don't think there is really anything hard about this job. Its really pretty simple, and self explanatory.
There are a lot of things I really enjoy about this job. My coworkers as I have previously mentioned, and making the temple grounds looking great for those who attend the temple. My supervisor is pretty flexible and a really great guy to work with.
Pros
Working with great people
Basic job, decent summer-time job
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJanuary 13, 2016
I would go and clock in at 8, go see my manager and she would tell me and my co-workers what the jobs were that day. Then we would spend our shift fulfilling those jobs. If we finished those jobs before our shift ended we would either go back to the manager and ask her what else she wanted us to do, or we would ask our group leader and he would give us an assignement. At 12 we would clock out.

I learned that it is important to follow instructions and do your best to fulfill the instructions that you receive. Attention to detail is important in order to do a good job.

The management was decent. The manager would give advice on how you could do better and what she wanted you to do. Although there seemed to be some miscommunication between the management and the employees from time to time.

My co-workers were good. They were helpful when you were confused about what was expected of you.

The hardest part of the job was finding things to do once you finished the specific things that your manager asked you to do.

The most enjoyable part of the job was that it was pretty easy-going.
Pros
Easy-going
Cons
Didn't learn any specific skills
Close-knit workplace with flexibility and security
Cleaning Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJanuary 19, 2015
Going to work was always enjoyable. We'd start together as a team of supervisors, where our various assignments would be delegated to us. We'd work each day with a different group of people who would come in to clean the facilities. Each day was different with different duties to be performed and tasks completed. My boss and co-workers were easy to get along with, and fun to work with. As a college student, they were flexible, and it wasn't hard for me to balance my school with work. The hardest part of the job was the time: waking up at 5 each day, with the other responsibilities I had in my school and social life. The most enjoyable part was working with the cleaners. It was always easy to have fun with them, and I loved getting to know them. We'd always find some way to be creative with the work--making games and things to challenge them. Overall, I enjoyed the job a lot, and it stretched me to be a better supervisor and leader.
Pros
fun work environment; discount on lunches; positive co-workers.
Cons
early work schedule to juggle with school classes
Uplifting workplace with educated staff of various background
GENERAL EDUCATION PERSONNEL (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTMarch 11, 2014
In our office we have people from English Education, Drama, Art, Asian Studies, Exercise Science, and computer science. We are from different areas but each of us have a part to do and a drive to help push the importance of General Education across campus. This is a religious school and it is nice to have the Honor Code in place so I can be comfortable in this environment with my standards. The hardest part of the job is when collecting information from faculty or students and getting the pushback of apathy or dislike. Some people have yet to be convinced of the purpose GE. The most enjoyable is the opportunity I have for new challenges and experiences. I've gotten to take on responsibilities that I never knew I could, and I have learned to adapt. It is also very gratifying to do things that change a students and even the faculty's experience here at this University.
Pros
works around my class schedule.
Cons
i got paid more out east.
I was apart of many of the games and events at BYU.
Special Event Staff (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJune 9, 2014
I was hired as an usher but I often scanned tickets at the door of either the stadium or the events center. Sometimes this could be very cold and long, and sometimes slow, but I often had good people to talk and laugh with to pass the time. I learned to like greeting people and guiding them to where they needed to be. Though we often had to be there two hours before the event, it was very important to be on time. The hardest part of the job was being the bad cop and laying down the rules that people wanted you to bend a little - I couldn't blame them for being upset sometimes, but I tried to do my best to uphold the job that I had been given to do. One of the best perks was to get to see some of the concerts, performances, and games and get paid to be there!
Pros
i sometimes got to view the events; i also met fun people.
Cons
i mainly worked weekends, especially in the evening.
For a college job, not bad
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJanuary 29, 2015
Working as a Research Assistant and a Teaching Assistant for BYU was satisfactory while I was a student. It was very conveniently located since my classes were in the same building and while I was a Research Assistant I got to choose my own hours. Because I was programming for a Sociology professor who didn't understand some of the processes of coding, sometimes it was difficult trying to explain what information I needed from him and why. But I learned a lot about communication and how my Sociology degree and Computer Science minor coincide. I was able to extract the data we needed from thousands of Word Documents and then analyze that data with my professor. Overall, it was a great learning experience and I would do it again.
Pros
conveniently located, promoted learning and independence
Cons
not a lot of guidance, compensation could have been better
Unity and fun with diverse people
Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Laie, HIMay 15, 2014
-The work in this company is great, everyone are nice and helpful
-I learned how to work in a group and accomplish the task that were assigned to the group, I learned how to work with others to solve complex task.
I learned how to configure, manage and support the school linux server and window server 2008 and 2012.
-The management is great.
-The hardest part of the job is to find time with team members to meet because most of the co-workers i worked with were students and they all have different schedules, but thanks to google doc for helping us to coordinate with all the team members.
-The most enjoyable part of the job is help others with technology, also working with student to solve technical problem such as networking problem, telephone problems and so on
Cons
short break, health care, discount of tuition
Teaching Assistant at Brigham Young University
Teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJuly 31, 2014
This isn't a bad job. If you are a student who needs a little extra money or if you need to improve in a subject than this is a good position. Normally you grade papers and submit the grades to grade book. Occasionally you will need to help students with their course work. Management is very hands off and they give you all the tools you need to succeed without hovering over you shoulder. You will get better at what ever subject you TA and the hardest part of the job is the occasional question that is beyond your ability to answer after consulting the book. On these occasions you will need to take the student to the professor so that both of you can get help. It is great watching fellow students master difficult concepts.
Pros
time to work on homework or reading.
Cons
grading can become tedious.
great workplace with awesome coworkers
Storeroom worker (Former Employee) –  Laie, HIMay 6, 2015
a typical day at the job was to receive shipments and put it away in the back, also we were required to clean the kitchen and refill the bottled drinks at the school owned store. at the end of the shift we sometimes used the forklift to take the trash bins to the corner.

i learned many things including how to fulfill all my jobs in an orderly fashion and to assist the cooks in their work as well.

Management was great and they treated us as equals rather than employees.

Coworkers were fellow college students and they were great. we worked as a team.

the hardest part of the job was building different equipment for the cafeteria, but even that wasn't that hard.

the most enjoyable part of the job was the work parties.
Pros
free meals at the cafeteria
Cons
less hours per week
Welcome to the RB, would you like a Tennis Court?
Information Desk Operator (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTMay 18, 2012
Brigham Young University (BYU) is a great institute of higher learning and home to many, many, on-campus, student jobs. Mine was possibly the best. I worked for the campus rec center. My job was at the front desk dealing in information and tennis court reservations. It is not the most exciting job, but important and you get a lot of down time to do your homework. As a busy college student, it doesn't get any better than that.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with the angry public. Such is the nature of customer service as we all know. The staff is friendly, as is everyone in Utah and you don't have to be Mormon to be "in the know" with the staff. It's all one big happy family with plenty of hugs and giggles.
Pros
time to do homework
Cons
angry people
Taught a great arbinger choice seminar
Fiji Club Vice President (Former Employee) –  Laie, HIApril 8, 2014
As most of the people that Polynesian Cultural Center is Hawaii's number #1 paid tourist destination . We work with people from all the around the world and most of the time we have different activities happening at Polynesian Cultural Center. This is where our guest service skills are always tested as my job being a supervisor i always make sure that we inspire our guest. One of the activity of PCC is Haunted Lagoon and this is one of the occasion which people don't miss and we receive 5000 guest per day. During this time i learned that a great leader is who leads his people by example and we did our best to inspire our performances through radiating our spirit everyday and in every way.
Pros
free canoe tour
Cons
short breaks
Great boss and co-workers
Computer Science Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTMay 2, 2013
I would work on software that go with Head-Mounted Displays. I learned creating software without any plan is extremely hard to work with. I had to refactor the project to make it easier for adding new functionality. The management was my boss gave me an assignment and I was left to myself to get it done. When I was not sure on what exactly the specs was, I would create up a list and discuss with him. With co-workers, we help each other out. If he got stuck on something, I would help discuss it out solutions. He did the same for me. The hardest part of the job was trying to import library that was not well documented. The most enjoyable part of the job was to see the actual trials using the software I help create.
Most rewarding job working with artwork worth millions
Assistant Manager of Fabrication (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJanuary 7, 2013
go around the muesum and change all the burned out lights.check on all the exhibits to see if anything needs to be fixed or adjusted. check on all the students to see how their jobs are coming. proceed with my assignments, Frames, cases, display's.

how to take students not in the field of woodworking and produce a gallery to exhibit artwork.

I have a supervisor who recieves plans from Curator and design team then tells me what needs to be done.

4-5 student employees mostly, but have to deal with design team, registration (art handlers), Curators.

waiting for Curators to give us the plans.

seeing the end result on the exhibits.
Pros
working with all kinds of artwork.
Cons
3/4 part time.
Great People, Great Environment, Engaging Work
Computing Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJanuary 2, 2015
Working at a university provides many opportunities to learn new things on about any subject you can imagine.

The people you work for are the friendliest you will find, and are family focused, so they understand the needs of working parents.

One of the most interesting and challenging things you might be involved in is assisting with research projects. Working with experts exploring new aspects of their area of expertise provides a great chance to learn about something new in depth.

If the opportunity to work at BYU arises, don't pass it up!
Pros
clean, friendly work environment.
Cons
as with any large organization, bureaucracy imposes complexity.
It's BYU.
Student Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTDecember 14, 2015
There are a lot of standards and expectations to uphold. The office where we worked at was held at an even higher standard considering we were representing the university to future students and alumni members who had any questions. However, it is very rewarding to be apart of such an organization and program. There are several notable individuals that have passed through that university and ave gone on to do great things. It was a great experience for me to work inside the financial aid and admissions office and offer any assistance i could to those who needed it.
Pros
Flexible with school schedule, local and friendly
Cons
Limited abilities to help.

4.6