Brigham Young University Employee Reviews

Organized work place with daily team building activities
Games Manager Lead (Former Employee) –  Rexburg, IDAugust 25, 2016
A typical day involved me communicating with the games managers that I was responsible for and making sure that they were prepared for the week. I was also in charge of being the intermediary between the advisers and the athletes so I was constantly in meetings and on the phone making sure schedules were organized in our software system and that everyone was aware of dates and times of events. The hardest part of the job was dealing with conflict. It wasn't so much the conflict that was hear to deal with but the way that the players reacted to being suspended form playing because we really wanted everyone to be involved. My favorite part of the job was training's. I really enjoyed preparing and giving training's to the team.
Pros
Free T-shirts
Cons
Someone was always unhappy with you
High-stress yet fulfilling
Kitchen Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTSeptember 18, 2016
We were responsible for coordinating and facilitating the meals for BYU's football team. Given the large amounts of money and pressure associated with such a high-ranking program, it was imperative their nutrition be carried out to exact standards. Over the summer we were understaffed so we had to take on multiple tasks at a time to prepare various dishes, perform various maintenance jobs, and assure that the kitchen was running well. Over August I worked from 5:30am to 9pm to ensure this happened. As a kitchen supervisor I was in charge of coordinating with the head chef and other cooks to complete all of this.

From this I learned how to balance the micro/macro balance of a work day. There are degrees of importance, and quickly knowing how to approach various tasks was imperative.
An Amazing Job
Economics Tutor (Former Employee) –  Rexburg, IDAugust 28, 2016
Every day I would help a different person, which was one of my favorite parts of my job. I love helping as many people as possible, and it helped me to find different ways to explain difficult concepts. I learned so much from listening to how my co-workers would explain the same things, and it helped further my understanding as well. The hardest part of tutoring was trying to help students who only wanted answers rather than an understanding of the principles. These students, however, lead to a greater appreciation of the students who really did want to understand. Eager students, who were willing to learn, were the most enjoyable part of the job. I loved the management, the responsibilities, and my co-workers.
A fantanstic place to be
Early Morning Custodian (Former Employee) –  Smith BuildingJuly 1, 2016
I have held a number of different jobs through out my undergraduate career, none of which have been as fulfilling as working with the people involved with custodial here at Brigham Young University - Idaho. The work starts early in the morning and can at times be very difficult to keep pace with, but the people and environment are more than ample compensation for this. I personally have enjoyed this job for the time I have been able to be a part of my cleaning crew, and would recommend it to anyone seeking employment while attending school.
Pros
Fantastic work environment, great peole to work with, strong management, clear job description
Cons
Early morning, dealing with repetitive problems, repetitive actions
Comfortable work environment with reliable schedule and great coworkers
Security Guard in the Harold B. Lee Library (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJune 15, 2016
My work here consisted of coming to work before my shift began so I could change into my uniform, clock in, and inform dispatch that I was on duty. Positions every half hour, and each rotation consisted of observing patrons, monitoring security cameras and library equipment, answering phones and patron inquiries, and being prepared to respond to emergency situations.

My coworkers were friendly and personable, and made the experience enjoyable. The hardest part of the job was staying focused and attentive during "slow" hours when few patrons were coming in and out of the library.
Pros
Great coworkers, opportunities to interact with library collection
Cons
Limited breaks, very repetitive, restrictive hours
Clean, organized, and friendly environment
Assistant Head Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Rexburg, IDAugust 17, 2016
A typical day at work requires coming in and making sure everything is organized and that every employee is doing their duty. The other part requires ensuring the safety of everyone who enters the pool deck. Occasionally I come in to check if the employees are checking the chemicals. I have a great staff, excellent boss. The hardest part is getting people to understand the rules without getting angry. The most enjoyable part is making sure everyone is having a good time.
Pros
flexible with hours
Cons
no break
Pretty good
Full-time Visiting English Professor (Former Employee) –  Rexburg, IDSeptember 1, 2015
The pay and benefits are great, and on a day-to-day basis, with everyday colleagues, the atmosphere is wonderful. The management is strange, though, with odd and unhelpful approaches to education and vague explanations of how to apply those approaches. The school is also incredibly callous when it comes to lay-offs, without so much as a good-bye or thank you. But while employed, it's pretty great.
Very accomodating, have helped a lot of students find their dream job
Academic Trainee (Former Employee) –  BYU - Hawaii Campus Safety and SecuritySeptember 21, 2016
Internships/Academic Trainings are not usually offered in our department. However, the management is giving graduate students the time that they need to find a permanent job and gather experience while waiting for that opportunity. I managed security cameras all over the BYU - Hawaii Campus and the nearby Polynesian Cultural Center.
clean and safe environment
PLUMBER/PIPEFITTER SERVICE TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  rexburg, IdahoJune 21, 2016
working at BYUI has been great. The people are enjoyable to work with and for. Its easy to leave work at work. Ive been there for six years and have felt safe and received the tools and clothing to do my job. I've learned to work with steam regulation and condensate return. the hardest thing about the job is the micromanagement from management.
Pros
the culture
Cons
the culture
Productive work environment and amazing coworkers
CUSTODIAN (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTMarch 15, 2016
I have loved working with these kind, respectful, smart coworkers as I complete my cleaning tasks each day. I have learned how to use several different cleaning tools and how to be quick and effective in my cleaning techniques. My boss is so kind as well which is a great aspect of working at this job. The hardest part of the job is getting up at 4 AM and being to work on time while also being awake enough to function. The most enjoyable part is associating with my coworkers and having the satisfaction of turning a messy room into a spotless room.
Pros
Nice staff, clean environment, good pay, clear responsibilities, set hours
Cons
very early mornings
Basic job, decent summer-time job
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJanuary 13, 2016
I would go and clock in at 8, go see my manager and she would tell me and my co-workers what the jobs were that day. Then we would spend our shift fulfilling those jobs. If we finished those jobs before our shift ended we would either go back to the manager and ask her what else she wanted us to do, or we would ask our group leader and he would give us an assignement. At 12 we would clock out.

I learned that it is important to follow instructions and do your best to fulfill the instructions that you receive. Attention to detail is important in order to do a good job.

The management was decent. The manager would give advice on how you could do better and what she wanted you to do. Although there seemed to be some miscommunication between the management and the employees from time to time.

My co-workers were good. They were helpful when you were confused about what was expected of you.

The hardest part of the job was finding things to do once you finished the specific things that your manager asked you to do.

The most enjoyable part of the job was that it was pretty easy-going.
Pros
Easy-going
Cons
Didn't learn any specific skills
Amazing
TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTAugust 16, 2016
Best job ever. You get paid to feel the spirit. It is the most rewarding job that you could have. The missionaries look up to you, so you do have a big responsibility and therefore it is a lot of work, but it is definitely worth it.
Great On-Campus Job
SAS & SQL Instructor (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJuly 20, 2016
What more could you ask of a job that you need to help you pay for college?? Nothing. Teaching at BYU allowed me to set a manageable schedule around classes, paid well for a student while staying close to other classes.
great place
Fire Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Rexburg, IDAugust 5, 2016
Great place to work, and very friendly family oriented people that work there. Would love to get into the safety department and help out people with safety and health.
For a college job, not bad
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJanuary 29, 2015
Working as a Research Assistant and a Teaching Assistant for BYU was satisfactory while I was a student. It was very conveniently located since my classes were in the same building and while I was a Research Assistant I got to choose my own hours. Because I was programming for a Sociology professor who didn't understand some of the processes of coding, sometimes it was difficult trying to explain what information I needed from him and why. But I learned a lot about communication and how my Sociology degree and Computer Science minor coincide. I was able to extract the data we needed from thousands of Word Documents and then analyze that data with my professor. Overall, it was a great learning experience and I would do it again.
Pros
conveniently located, promoted learning and independence
Cons
not a lot of guidance, compensation could have been better
Great work environment with supportive and innovative management
IT Training Manager (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJanuary 21, 2016
The Office of IT at BYU is a great place to work. There is a strong overall desire to provide and support the campus technology needs. There is a genuine interest in helping fulfill the mission of the University. The co-workers are generally competent and great to work with.
Pros
Supportive Management, Great co-workers, Positive environment
Cons
Pay is typically below average
Wonderful Experience
Spanish Instructor (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTAugust 29, 2016
BYU employed me in a variety of capacities. I was always taken care of and they attempted to give priority to student's studies.
Great University
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJuly 15, 2016
Engaging and stimulating work environment. Facilities and staff are all supportive. The school is centrally located in the university.
Good people to work with, but pay is kinda low
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rexburg, IDFebruary 20, 2016
Honestly it is a super fun job if you like teaching people, but I just wish you got more pay per hour. You usually can get 20 hours a week, and that's I'll I had time for. As far as Rexburg goes it is as good a job you are going to get.
Pros
Great environment, low stress, autonomy
Cons
Pay isn't that great
Challenging yet extremely productive
Student (Former Employee) –  Rexburg, IdahoMay 25, 2016
Like most universities the schedule is up to you. It is highly competitive yet the admission rate is still fairly high. Extremely low cost school to attend but with very high standards.
Pros
Low Cost
Cons
Strict Rules

4.3