Brigham Young University

Brigham Young University Employee Reviews

Good University
Mandarin Tutor and Data Forecasting Class TA (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTFebruary 3, 2016
Brigham Young University is a good university! I learned a lot during these two years! And people here are very friendly!
Great work environment with supportive and innovative management
IT Training Manager (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJanuary 21, 2016
The Office of IT at BYU is a great place to work. There is a strong overall desire to provide and support the campus technology needs. There is a genuine interest in helping fulfill the mission of the University. The co-workers are generally competent and great to work with.
Pros
Supportive Management, Great co-workers, Positive environment
Cons
Pay is typically below average
Good School
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTJanuary 17, 2016
I am doing my PhD in field of Catalysis and Chemical Reaction engineering in Brigham Young University. My advisers are very knowledgeable and helpful.
Productive but hard work
Dish Washer (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJanuary 16, 2016
I worked with great people. It was kind of dirty since I was washing dishes all the time, but I felt productive. I was able to pick up extra hours when I could. You must be a student to work here.
Basic job, decent summer-time job
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJanuary 13, 2016
I would go and clock in at 8, go see my manager and she would tell me and my co-workers what the jobs were that day. Then we would spend our shift fulfilling those jobs. If we finished those jobs before our shift ended we would either go back to the manager and ask her what else she wanted us to do, or we would ask our group leader and he would give us an assignement. At 12 we would clock out.

I learned that it is important to follow instructions and do your best to fulfill the instructions that you receive. Attention to detail is important in order to do a good job.

The management was decent. The manager would give advice on how you could do better and what she wanted you to do. Although there seemed to be some miscommunication between the management and the employees from time to time.

My co-workers were good. They were helpful when you were confused about what was expected of you.

The hardest part of the job was finding things to do once you finished the specific things that your manager asked you to do.

The most enjoyable part of the job was that it was pretty easy-going.
Pros
Easy-going
Cons
Didn't learn any specific skills
Great opportunity for graduate students
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTJanuary 11, 2016
I loved the open door approach my supervisor had. Whenever I had any issues, my supervisor, who was my adviser was willing to make time to help me resolve concerns.
Able to be involved with management in perfecting courses before release.
COURSE EVALUATOR (Former Employee) –  Rexburg, IDDecember 21, 2015
Assimilated large amounts of information. Submitted weekly reviews on hot to improve courses. Participated in improvement councils.
The campus always looks great!
GROUNDS CREW (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTDecember 16, 2015
It is a great school, and the Grounds Crews are great! Everyone does a great job and works really hard. A typical workday varies, but we maintain the Provo Temple Grounds by doing the basic lawn care and doing show removal when it snows. We pick up the leaves that fall off all the trees, and weed all the flowerbeds and we prune the trees and bushes.
I have learned a lot at this job. How to properly use all the machines, and how to better work with others.
The Management was great! They have Student Appreciation Day every once in a while for all the grounds crew workers.
All my coworkers I have worked with have honestly been the best I have ever worked with, ever! I have really grown to love them, and appreciate them! We all have gotten really close with each other, and have become really great friends. I really have enjoyed working with them.
I don't think there is really anything hard about this job. Its really pretty simple, and self explanatory.
There are a lot of things I really enjoy about this job. My coworkers as I have previously mentioned, and making the temple grounds looking great for those who attend the temple. My supervisor is pretty flexible and a really great guy to work with.
Pros
Working with great people
Great place to work with great mentors
SAP Student Lead, Tutor, Grader (Current Employee) –  Laie, HIDecember 14, 2015
The best part is to be able to work closely with the supervisor. It also provides an opportunity to learn while working. The work-life balance is great here. The community is also very family oriented. The standard is very high, but it is very great to work here.
Great working place with diverse people.
Student Accountant (Current Employee) –  Laie, HIDecember 14, 2015
I really working at BYU-Hawaii where diverse people work. I have learned many different cultures and love them all. Working while studying is not hard since my work is just so near.

Want to know more about Brigham Young University?

Ask a question
It's BYU.
Student Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTDecember 14, 2015
There are a lot of standards and expectations to uphold. The office where we worked at was held at an even higher standard considering we were representing the university to future students and alumni members who had any questions. However, it is very rewarding to be apart of such an organization and program. There are several notable individuals that have passed through that university and ave gone on to do great things. It was a great experience for me to work inside the financial aid and admissions office and offer any assistance i could to those who needed it.
Pros
Flexible with school schedule, local and friendly
Cons
Limited abilities to help.
Great place to work.
Teachers Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rexburg, IDDecember 12, 2015
-Helped students with projects and assignments
-Graded and gave feedback on student assignments.
-Assisted in any other services the professor needed.
Pros
Great people to work with.
Cons
working at the Brigham Young University Hawaii is a great experience for me.
Bloomberg Lab Manager and Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Laie, HINovember 30, 2015
Great place on the earth and it is a paradise that I have gained very good work skills at the costumer intensive service. The Brigham Young University is a great place to grow up your future careers.
Great Employers and Great Atmostphere
Chemistry Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rexburg, IDNovember 21, 2015
Wonderful people And wonderful Atmosphere with very friendly people. A great opportunity to work on a team and grow as individuals in all the different parts of BYUI
Good place to work as a student
Metadata Specialist (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTNovember 12, 2015
It was a good place to work while taking classes. Management was great, and the schedule was quite flexible. It would've been nicer to have a better pay.
Great place to work!
Instructor - Essentials of Calculus (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTOctober 22, 2015
I worked as an instructor and assistant instructor, and I loved it. The coworkers, management, and administration are all very helpful and friendly. Fun to work with students, who are bright and mostly eager to learn.
Life-changing experience
Technical Projects Manager (Former Employee) –  Rexburg, IDOctober 19, 2015
Working at Brigham Young University-Idaho allowed me to explore interests in multiple areas. Every single one of my supervisors enjoyed letting students learn and try new things, without fear of making a mistake. In the four positions I held within the A/V Productions Department, the every day situation required me to think on my feet, learn exact steps to accomplish certain tasks ensure functionality of a technical system, or safety for those around me and those enjoying the show or concert being performed.
Pros
People, diversity, flexibility, dedication of those around me
Cons
Very flexible; works around student schedule
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTOctober 12, 2015
Working at/for BYU was a great experience for me. It allowed me to pay my tuition every semester while managing a hectic school schedule. It's so worth it to do this as a student because it provides a small income and forces good time management development.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
student paycheck
Fun place to work
Events Staff (Former Employee) –  Brigham Young UniversityOctober 2, 2015
I loved the staff I worked with. They were all fellow students so everyone was on the same page and very understanding. Got in and worked hard to get the job done.
All about your boss
Marketing Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  ProvoSeptember 17, 2015
In all honesty, this was simply a research position that I had at BYU while I was a student. My boss was an awesome professor, who challenged me a lot, so the work was awesome. Learned a great deal and built great relationships with many people.
Pros
Choose own hours
Cons
Often had to do lots of background research, which required reading lots of dull research, just to find the one gem

4.6