Brigham Young University

Brigham Young University Employer Reviews

Great place to learn and grow while providing a great service!
Billing Coordinator (Former Employee), Rexburg, IDApril 11, 2014
Pros: great people
Cons: no benefits as students.
A typical day at work was answering phones, assisting patients as needed, and following a basic task list of daily and weekly duties. Adjustments and changes were made as other departments requested assistance in training and additional projects.

I learned a bit more about the new HIPPA guidelines and some new ways to use data spreadsheets and operating – more... systems.

Management was a bit different than I had been previously exposed to. The area director was the head of the health center with a manager over billing and reception which were both college students, often in an internship situation, with an administrative mentor and department mentor. I worked very closely with my department mentor and had a rotating/changing schedule which enabled me to be available to provide coverage for our department and balance my class schedule.

Co-workers were a wide variety of personalities and ages, although each of us were students, minus administration and faculty. They were great to work with and it was a great opportunity to share my experience being that most had not experience in such positions.

The hardest part of the job was the scheduling and break downs in communication between leadership. The management set up made it semi-difficult to maintain balance between departments when projects needed to be completed.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the people that I worked with and the opportunity to self-manage. I was trusted to do my job and stay on top efficiency and accuracy. – less
Early Morning Cutodian
Maintenance (Former Employee), Rexburg, IDApril 11, 2014
Pros: decent pay
Cons: early morning
Work was generally 4-7am and we were assigned an area to clean. Facilities manager at the time wasn't always very nice, but it was a decent job. Co workers were nice in helping to explain how things were done.
Taught a great arbinger choice seminar
Fiji Club Vice President (Former Employee), Laie, HIApril 8, 2014
Pros: free canoe tour
Cons: short breaks
As most of the people that Polynesian Cultural Center is Hawaii's number #1 paid tourist destination . We work with people from all the around the world and most of the time we have different activities happening at Polynesian Cultural Center. This is where our guest service skills are always tested as my job being a supervisor i always make sure that – more... we inspire our guest. One of the activity of PCC is Haunted Lagoon and this is one of the occasion which people don't miss and we receive 5000 guest per day. During this time i learned that a great leader is who leads his people by example and we did our best to inspire our performances through radiating our spirit everyday and in every way. – less
Good place while at school
HHPS Facilities Administrator (Former Employee), Provo, UTApril 7, 2014
Pros: very flexible.
Cons: not a a lot of real world experience and application. at least specialization wise.
This a good place to work while at school. You can do your homework typically and you can learn to work as a team.
Fun place to work, but I worked unusual hours
Gym Supervisor (Former Employee), Laie, HIMarch 26, 2014
It was a really fun place to work but I was given unusual hours. I would come in the morning for 3 hours. Then have 1 hour off, then come in for 3 hours on.
Uplifting workplace with educated staff of various background
GENERAL EDUCATION PERSONNEL (Current Employee), Provo, UTMarch 11, 2014
Pros: works around my class schedule.
Cons: i got paid more out east.
In our office we have people from English Education, Drama, Art, Asian Studies, Exercise Science, and computer science. We are from different areas but each of us have a part to do and a drive to help push the importance of General Education across campus. This is a religious school and it is nice to have the Honor Code in place so I can be comfortable – more... in this environment with my standards. The hardest part of the job is when collecting information from faculty or students and getting the pushback of apathy or dislike. Some people have yet to be convinced of the purpose GE. The most enjoyable is the opportunity I have for new challenges and experiences. I've gotten to take on responsibilities that I never knew I could, and I have learned to adapt. It is also very gratifying to do things that change a students and even the faculty's experience here at this University. – less
Excellent School for Accounting
Consulting Project (Former Employee), Provo, UTMarch 11, 2014
Just an amazing school to build up your knowledge and your good attribute and personality.
Professional and Fun
IT Training Instructor (Current Employee), Provo, UTMarch 5, 2014
Pros: flexible with my school schedule
Cons: have to teach myself the computer programs
A typical day at work involves me:
learning a new computer program (microsoft or adobe product)
going over lesson plans
teaching a class
participating in meetings
answering telephone calls
answering customer's IT questions
Great work environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Provo, UTFebruary 18, 2014
I worked there as graduate research assistant. For a graduate student, it was a good paying job that helped me to learn and gain more experience in Civil Engineering . My advisor and boss was very competent and good to work with.
Great Employer
Chemical Inventory Specialist (Former Employee), Provo, UTFebruary 11, 2014
Pros: flexible
Cons: the days were sometimes long
I inventoried chemicals on campus in order to meet Federal guidelines. I learned a great deal about chemicals and proper storage procedures.
Research Asistant
Geospatial Research Asistant (Current Employee), Provo, UTFebruary 10, 2014
Pros: tuition and travel
Cons: stingy pay
Good place to work if you enjoy Mormon culture. As a research assistant the school places a cap on the amount of money you can make in a month. No benefits are offered with a research assistant job.
Nice environment and productive place to work
Graphic Designer/Information Consultant (Former Employee), Laie, HIJanuary 27, 2014
I designed a lot of poster and the web images for school. I like being around with my co worker because we can learn from others. I also learn how important the communication is in order to work more effectively. I love how my supervisor give me space and freedom to design something form my creativity.
This is a fabulous place to work.
University Instructor and Supervisor (Current Employee), Provo, UtahJanuary 24, 2014
Pros: the people are wonderful.
Cons: parking
Typically, I arrive about two hours before my first class and I prepare for the day. I teach up to three classes per day. After classes are over, I prepare for the upcoming classes. My coworkers are very supportive and friendly. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with idealistic, positive students.
United, Fun, Caring about other workiers
HR Assistant (Former Employee), Laie, HawaiiJanuary 20, 2014
Pros: they will help you with your work and wont let you down.
Cons: some times management is a little down.
Working at BYUH taught me how to work with other workers effectively, taught me the essence of unity.
Good job while going to school
Assistant Facilities Manager (Former Employee), Provo, UTJanuary 17, 2014
Pros: flexible
Cons: mundane
This was a good job that wasn't to demanding while going to school full time.
A Great School!
Props Assistant (Current Employee), Rexburg, IDJanuary 10, 2014
I am a music major and the program requires a lot out of you. Even though it is hard, the teacher are great in helping you learn the material as best as you can. It feels nice that you aren't belittle in class or when you are one on one with them.
Early work, but doesn't get in the way of student life
Janitor (Former Employee), Provo, UTJanuary 9, 2014
Typical day is emptying trash and then other various cleaning tasks. Generally self directed work.

Learned self discipline to get up so early, learned tricks to cleaning and maintenance.

Management worked with students to give off time for studying.

Co-workers were friendly, but often unreliable.

Hardest part of the job was the early morning hours.

Most – more... enjoyable part of the job was working with other students, and the ability to see and difference from your work. – less
GOOD
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Provo, UTDecember 31, 2013
Go to school there. Normal social life with working atmosphere involved.
Exciting student job
Political Science Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Provo, UTDecember 24, 2013
I was able to work with other students, assisted a professor with grading student assignments, and assisted in reviewing course information with students.
Good
Senior Project Electrical Engineering Student (Former Employee), Provo, UTDecember 5, 2013
Great school! Great students! It's was a wonderful place to be.

About Brigham Young University

Founded in 1875, Brigham Young University has grown from a small pioneer academy to one of the world's largest private universities, – Read more