Brigham Young University Employee Reviews

Review BYUI
Teacher and Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rexburg, IDDecember 14, 2016
I enjoy working as a teacher assistant. I would grade assignments and tests every week and meet with the teacher to present the work done.
University; not a job
Young Men's and Elders' Quorum President (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTDecember 5, 2016
I loved being a student at BYU. It gave me the promise of a bright future of being able to provide for my family. I loved it there.
fun
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTDecember 2, 2016
i love that i got to work at a flexible place when i was going to school. they care about you not as just employees but as people. I miss working this job.
Fun, productive environment
Fire Safety Technician (Current Employee) –  Rexburg, IDDecember 1, 2016
Working in the Safety and Securit Office at Brigham Young University - Idaho has been a wonderful experience, over the past two and a half years. My bosses are kind and understanding about time constraints as a full-time student with a family, they allow the hours to be flexible. Sometimes they are TOO nice and don't give writeups to people who should be written up. Other than that, I have no complaints about working at BYU-I.
Pros
Relaxed work environment, kind people, flexible hours
Cons
Management is sometime too nice
Lead Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTNovember 29, 2016
Focused on people and have very good benefits. Gov't contractor but will help you diversify and become an asset that is useful across the company. Very good place to work.
Great place to study and work.
Student Assistant - Academic Advising (Former Employee) –  Laie, HINovember 1, 2016
BYUH is a great place to choose to study and/or work. They accommodating to your needs and desire to help you succeed. It is easy to get school done without having to worry about losing your job because they want to ensure that you do well as well.
Really great place to work
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTOctober 18, 2016
Brigham Young University is a great place to work, especially while a student (Masters or Undergraduate). There is a great atmosphere and they are usually really accommodating to the employee's needs.
Very accomodating, have helped a lot of students find their dream job
Academic Trainee (Former Employee) –  BYU - Hawaii Campus Safety and SecuritySeptember 21, 2016
Internships/Academic Trainings are not usually offered in our department. However, the management is giving graduate students the time that they need to find a permanent job and gather experience while waiting for that opportunity. I managed security cameras all over the BYU - Hawaii Campus and the nearby Polynesian Cultural Center.
High-stress yet fulfilling
Kitchen Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTSeptember 18, 2016
We were responsible for coordinating and facilitating the meals for BYU's football team. Given the large amounts of money and pressure associated with such a high-ranking program, it was imperative their nutrition be carried out to exact standards. Over the summer we were understaffed so we had to take on multiple tasks at a time to prepare various dishes, perform various maintenance jobs, and assure that the kitchen was running well. Over August I worked from 5:30am to 9pm to ensure this happened. As a kitchen supervisor I was in charge of coordinating with the head chef and other cooks to complete all of this.

From this I learned how to balance the micro/macro balance of a work day. There are degrees of importance, and quickly knowing how to approach various tasks was imperative.
Wonderful Experience
Spanish Instructor (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTAugust 29, 2016
BYU employed me in a variety of capacities. I was always taken care of and they attempted to give priority to student's studies.
An Amazing Job
Economics Tutor (Former Employee) –  Rexburg, IDAugust 28, 2016
Every day I would help a different person, which was one of my favorite parts of my job. I love helping as many people as possible, and it helped me to find different ways to explain difficult concepts. I learned so much from listening to how my co-workers would explain the same things, and it helped further my understanding as well. The hardest part of tutoring was trying to help students who only wanted answers rather than an understanding of the principles. These students, however, lead to a greater appreciation of the students who really did want to understand. Eager students, who were willing to learn, were the most enjoyable part of the job. I loved the management, the responsibilities, and my co-workers.
Organized work place with daily team building activities
Games Manager Lead (Former Employee) –  Rexburg, IDAugust 25, 2016
A typical day involved me communicating with the games managers that I was responsible for and making sure that they were prepared for the week. I was also in charge of being the intermediary between the advisers and the athletes so I was constantly in meetings and on the phone making sure schedules were organized in our software system and that everyone was aware of dates and times of events. The hardest part of the job was dealing with conflict. It wasn't so much the conflict that was hear to deal with but the way that the players reacted to being suspended form playing because we really wanted everyone to be involved. My favorite part of the job was training's. I really enjoyed preparing and giving training's to the team.
Pros
Free T-shirts
Cons
Someone was always unhappy with you
Clean, organized, and friendly environment
Assistant Head Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Rexburg, IDAugust 17, 2016
A typical day at work requires coming in and making sure everything is organized and that every employee is doing their duty. The other part requires ensuring the safety of everyone who enters the pool deck. Occasionally I come in to check if the employees are checking the chemicals. I have a great staff, excellent boss. The hardest part is getting people to understand the rules without getting angry. The most enjoyable part is making sure everyone is having a good time.
Pros
flexible with hours
Cons
no break
Amazing
TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTAugust 16, 2016
Best job ever. You get paid to feel the spirit. It is the most rewarding job that you could have. The missionaries look up to you, so you do have a big responsibility and therefore it is a lot of work, but it is definitely worth it.
great place
Fire Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Rexburg, IDAugust 5, 2016
Great place to work, and very friendly family oriented people that work there. Would love to get into the safety department and help out people with safety and health.
Great On-Campus Job
SAS & SQL Instructor (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJuly 20, 2016
What more could you ask of a job that you need to help you pay for college?? Nothing. Teaching at BYU allowed me to set a manageable schedule around classes, paid well for a student while staying close to other classes.
Great University
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJuly 15, 2016
Engaging and stimulating work environment. Facilities and staff are all supportive. The school is centrally located in the university.
A fantanstic place to be
Early Morning Custodian (Former Employee) –  Smith BuildingJuly 1, 2016
I have held a number of different jobs through out my undergraduate career, none of which have been as fulfilling as working with the people involved with custodial here at Brigham Young University - Idaho. The work starts early in the morning and can at times be very difficult to keep pace with, but the people and environment are more than ample compensation for this. I personally have enjoyed this job for the time I have been able to be a part of my cleaning crew, and would recommend it to anyone seeking employment while attending school.
Pros
Fantastic work environment, great peole to work with, strong management, clear job description
Cons
Early morning, dealing with repetitive problems, repetitive actions
clean and safe environment
PLUMBER/PIPEFITTER SERVICE TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  rexburg, IdahoJune 21, 2016
working at BYUI has been great. The people are enjoyable to work with and for. Its easy to leave work at work. Ive been there for six years and have felt safe and received the tools and clothing to do my job. I've learned to work with steam regulation and condensate return. the hardest thing about the job is the micromanagement from management.
Pros
the culture
Cons
the culture
Comfortable work environment with reliable schedule and great coworkers
Security Guard in the Harold B. Lee Library (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJune 15, 2016
My work here consisted of coming to work before my shift began so I could change into my uniform, clock in, and inform dispatch that I was on duty. Positions every half hour, and each rotation consisted of observing patrons, monitoring security cameras and library equipment, answering phones and patron inquiries, and being prepared to respond to emergency situations.

My coworkers were friendly and personable, and made the experience enjoyable. The hardest part of the job was staying focused and attentive during "slow" hours when few patrons were coming in and out of the library.
Pros
Great coworkers, opportunities to interact with library collection
Cons
Limited breaks, very repetitive, restrictive hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Brigham Young University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3