Brigham Young University

Brigham Young University Employee Reviews

Great People, Great Environment, Engaging Work
Computing Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJanuary 2, 2015
Working at a university provides many opportunities to learn new things on about any subject you can imagine.

The people you work for are the friendliest you will find, and are family focused, so they understand the needs of working parents.

One of the most interesting and challenging things you might be involved in is assisting with research projects. Working with experts exploring new aspects of their area of expertise provides a great chance to learn about something new in depth.

If the opportunity to work at BYU arises, don't pass it up!
Pros
clean, friendly work environment.
Cons
as with any large organization, bureaucracy imposes complexity.
Life-changing experience
Technical Projects Manager (Former Employee) –  Rexburg, IDOctober 19, 2015
Working at Brigham Young University-Idaho allowed me to explore interests in multiple areas. Every single one of my supervisors enjoyed letting students learn and try new things, without fear of making a mistake. In the four positions I held within the A/V Productions Department, the every day situation required me to think on my feet, learn exact steps to accomplish certain tasks ensure functionality of a technical system, or safety for those around me and those enjoying the show or concert being performed.
Pros
People, diversity, flexibility, dedication of those around me
Great people
Custodial Worker (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTNovember 14, 2013
I have never had a bad manager at BYU. This was a work study position and I have already learned so much from my coworkers and manager.
Since this is work study they don't really expect you to stay around very long. Our custodial unit has a high turn over, but it's usually because they found something better suited to them.
The management never treats you as disposable. You feel like you actually matter.
Pros
set hours, very stable, great management
Cons
low wages, very little chance for advancement
Gained good work experience and very flexible with school schedule.
STUDENT SECRETARY (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTOctober 10, 2014
Brigham Young University is a great place to work. They are more than willing to work around your class and testing schedule for school. As a working student, I was able to gain a lot of experience working with students, full-time staff, and professors alike. I learned to be very flexible, yet efficient with my work as there were multiple people needing my services at any given time. I enjoyed being able to work with people and not just being behind a computer the whole time.
A great place to work as a student
Custodial (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTJune 14, 2013
A typical day at work includes supervising missionaries at the MTC for their service.
I learned how to manage time for tasks and work with new people everyday.
The management at the MTC is very well organized and my boss is very kind.
My co-workers have become my best friends and I love going to work with them.
The hardest part of the job is keeping busy for the whole shift because we often get done with everything early on.
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with great people.
Good coworkers, great environment
Course Improvement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rexburg, IDAugust 2, 2012
It was a great environment, really fun coworkers, I worked improving the online courses for BYU - Idaho, I learned different skills, such determine different problems and find their solutions. Worked closely with instructors to ad/remove information and fix problems(typos, deadlines, etc) with the courses. The hardest it was the fast pace that at times I had several course to work on, or fixes and improvements. The most enjoyable was the flexible deadlines, and the great coworkers. Fun and easy going supervisor.
Pros
fun environment, good coworkers, easy pace job, with flexible deadlines
Cons
short breaks, low pay.
Brilliant Organizational Structure
Economics Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTFebruary 27, 2015
Brigham Young University is unlike any other organization of higher learning. It hires students to work in entry level positions throughout the university. This includes clerical, custodial, and base administrative positions. This provides many more employment opportunities for students to pay for their way through school. It also allows for lower university wages since most positions are part time. The university then passes these savings onto the students through lower university costs and astronomically low tuition rates.
Productive, restocking, keeping track of inventory
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rexburg, IDMay 18, 2014
I was in charge of the inventory in my section. I was over the office supplies in the store. I didn't make commission off of sales but I did have to know my products to help others make decisions.

I loved the management. They were understanding when I had tests to take as well.

The hardest part was the slow pace. Days went by extremely slowly.

The most enjoyable thing was that I met so many people that were attending my campus.
Pros
working on campus
Cons
slow time
BYU is a private, church owned, university that stresses research, teaching, and moral values.
Professor of Mathematics (Former Employee) –  Provo, UtahFebruary 25, 2013
Brigham Young University was an excellent place to work, with a balanced emhasis on research and teaching. It required strict moral behavior and stressed family values. I taught there for 33 years and then retired, and with our children raised and still in posession of good health, pursued other teqaching experiences at different kinds of educational institutions.
Pros
high quality of professors, students, and values.
Nice Graduate school to attend
PhD Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTSeptember 10, 2014
If you are a LDS this is heaven on hearth for you. If you are not, its not like you are in he** either. Its a decent school with great research opportunities. Research work is at par of MIT and Stanford. They have lots of funding and lots of job opportunities. Tuition fees are probably the cheapest in entire USA. If you are a non Mormon single, life will be slightly different for you here. Job opportunities after graduation varies with field of study.
Productive and fun workplace
Biochemistry -General ChemistryTutor (Former Employee) –  Laie, HIOctober 13, 2014
I tutored students nightly and would hold weekly study sessions. I also graded assignments when students were not present for tutoring. The hardest part of the job was in trying to satisfy everyone's needs if for example many students were present a particular day. I love helping students solve and understand complex problems, helping them know the basics and understand the material for themselves.
Pros
sometimes free food.
Cons
at times no one would come in for tutoring.
A pure joy to work there.
Adjunct Professor of religious education (Former Employee) –  Rexburg, IDSeptember 26, 2014
I was invited to teach freshmen religion classes for three semesters at BYU-Idaho, and I found the experience to be absolutely delightful. The staff are friendly, intelligent, caring, knowledgeable, and approachable. I had lots of support from the administration and my co-workers. I would gladly work there full-time if I could!
Pros
great co-workers, great students to work with.
Cons
as an adjunct, i could teach only one semester per year.
Early work, but doesn't get in the way of student life
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJanuary 9, 2014
Typical day is emptying trash and then other various cleaning tasks. Generally self directed work.

Learned self discipline to get up so early, learned tricks to cleaning and maintenance.

Management worked with students to give off time for studying.

Co-workers were friendly, but often unreliable.

Hardest part of the job was the early morning hours.

Most enjoyable part of the job was working with other students, and the ability to see and difference from your work.
Great Education
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTFebruary 19, 2013
Overall, BYU is a great place to get a Graduate Education/Post-Doc. The chemistry department has great faculty and a wide variety of research opportunities. Compared to other Chemistry Institutions the faculty does not demand tons of hours from their students. Due to the religious nature of the university, many people opt for other universities. The indirect result of this is that there is far more funding and resources per capita (due to religious funding) than would exist at many other places.
Productive and open to opinion.
Camera Operator/Video Editor (Former Employee) –  Rexburg, IDJune 6, 2012
A typical day at work, I was in an office with hi-def screens and sound to edit video. Some days were spent filming different things on campus. My co-workers and I all loved working together and everything was fun. The hardest part of the job was sometimes working odd hours for an event, but the best part was doing what I loved.
Pros
work celebrations
Cons
no transportation
Lots of opportunities to help other students and develop my own understanding of fundamental engineering concepts
Mechanical Engineering Tutor (Current Employee) –  Rexburg, IDJune 3, 2013
I help students understand basic engineering concepts in subjects such as Statics, Dynamics, Strengths of Materials, Material Science, and Physics. This has greatly increased my understanding of concepts in these areas. The hardest part of doing this job is remembering and explaining all the concepts I have learned during my education. I enjoy sharing what I have learned and being someone other students can go to with questions.
All about your boss
Marketing Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  ProvoSeptember 17, 2015
In all honesty, this was simply a research position that I had at BYU while I was a student. My boss was an awesome professor, who challenged me a lot, so the work was awesome. Learned a great deal and built great relationships with many people.
Pros
Choose own hours
Cons
Often had to do lots of background research, which required reading lots of dull research, just to find the one gem
Pretty good
Full-time Visiting English Professor (Former Employee) –  Rexburg, IDSeptember 1, 2015
The pay and benefits are great, and on a day-to-day basis, with everyday colleagues, the atmosphere is wonderful. The management is strange, though, with odd and unhelpful approaches to education and vague explanations of how to apply those approaches. The school is also incredibly callous when it comes to lay-offs, without so much as a good-bye or thank you. But while employed, it's pretty great.
As a student, fantastic!
Security Analyst (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTJanuary 1, 2015
BYU does a fantastic job of giving incredible employment opportunities to it's students wishing to work in IT. BYU in general is a national leader in student employment. I've had real professional experience in my profession leading up to graduation, rather than having to scramble to find some after graduation. Very thankful for that.

As for IT positions for full-time employees, I can't say much because I'm not one.
A good stable environment
Project Manager / Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Rexburg, IDApril 23, 2012
Many come to Rexburg to settle in and stay a while. BYU-Idaho is probably the pinnacle of employment within city limits. Those who work here "have arrived" and upward mobility in a career becomes dependent on either growing upward within the University, or moving on to another employer elsewhere.
Pros
pension, vacation
Cons
low training budget, home-grown expertise, cultural politics.

4.6