Brigham Young University

Brigham Young University Employee Reviews in United States

Able to be involved with management in perfecting courses before release.
COURSE EVALUATOR (Former Employee) –  Rexburg, IDDecember 21, 2015
Assimilated large amounts of information. Submitted weekly reviews on hot to improve courses. Participated in improvement councils.
Great place to work.
Teachers Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rexburg, IDDecember 12, 2015
-Helped students with projects and assignments
-Graded and gave feedback on student assignments.
-Assisted in any other services the professor needed.
Pros
Great people to work with.
Great Employers and Great Atmostphere
Chemistry Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rexburg, IDNovember 21, 2015
Wonderful people And wonderful Atmosphere with very friendly people. A great opportunity to work on a team and grow as individuals in all the different parts of BYUI
part time teaching position
Part time Clinical Instructor (Former Employee) –  Provo, UtahAugust 16, 2014
contracted for a specific class a semester at a time. Positions are dropped when budget or enrollment changes so lack of security and benefits.
Nice people to work with and smart, motivated students. Experience can vary greatly with different clinical sites.
Pros
top knotch university
Cons
unstable position
Poor pay and lots of politics
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Laie, HINovember 13, 2014
Overall BYUH doesn't offer much compensation, but depending on what department you work for it can be a great opportunity to learn and practice skills.

The flexibility is nice for a student job.
great workplace with awesome coworkers
Storeroom worker (Former Employee) –  Laie, HIMay 6, 2015
a typical day at the job was to receive shipments and put it away in the back, also we were required to clean the kitchen and refill the bottled drinks at the school owned store. at the end of the shift we sometimes used the forklift to take the trash bins to the corner.

i learned many things including how to fulfill all my jobs in an orderly fashion and to assist the cooks in their work as well.

Management was great and they treated us as equals rather than employees.

Coworkers were fellow college students and they were great. we worked as a team.

the hardest part of the job was building different equipment for the cafeteria, but even that wasn't that hard.

the most enjoyable part of the job was the work parties.
Pros
free meals at the cafeteria
Cons
less hours per week
All about your boss
Marketing Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  ProvoSeptember 17, 2015
In all honesty, this was simply a research position that I had at BYU while I was a student. My boss was an awesome professor, who challenged me a lot, so the work was awesome. Learned a great deal and built great relationships with many people.
Pros
Choose own hours
Cons
Often had to do lots of background research, which required reading lots of dull research, just to find the one gem
Research Asistant
Geospatial Research Asistant (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTFebruary 10, 2014
Good place to work if you enjoy Mormon culture. As a research assistant the school places a cap on the amount of money you can make in a month. No benefits are offered with a research assistant job.
Pros
tuition and travel
Cons
stingy pay
Efficient yet relaxed atmosphere.
Student Manager - Early Morning Custodian (Current Employee) –  Rexburg, IDAugust 20, 2015
At this job I learned to be a leader among my peers. I learned how to be punctual and keep a good schedule. Some of the challenges of the job would be scheduling over the weekend and keeping people motivated, but was achieved using an organized work schedule and having a good attitude.
Pros
This job was great because it did not interfere with school work.
Wonderful working while going to school
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTMarch 29, 2012
I enjoyed working here, but it was a pay cut from my last job. There was always someone, usually the professors, who were willing to help me out with problems, but I was still expected to complete work on my own.
Pros
great schedule, on campus
Cons
low pay, no benefits
Fun place to work
Events Staff (Former Employee) –  Brigham Young UniversityOctober 2, 2015
I loved the staff I worked with. They were all fellow students so everyone was on the same page and very understanding. Got in and worked hard to get the job done.
Great place to learn and grow while providing a great service!
Billing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Rexburg, IDApril 11, 2014
A typical day at work was answering phones, assisting patients as needed, and following a basic task list of daily and weekly duties. Adjustments and changes were made as other departments requested assistance in training and additional projects.

I learned a bit more about the new HIPPA guidelines and some new ways to use data spreadsheets and operating systems.

Management was a bit different than I had been previously exposed to. The area director was the head of the health center with a manager over billing and reception which were both college students, often in an internship situation, with an administrative mentor and department mentor. I worked very closely with my department mentor and had a rotating/changing schedule which enabled me to be available to provide coverage for our department and balance my class schedule.

Co-workers were a wide variety of personalities and ages, although each of us were students, minus administration and faculty. They were great to work with and it was a great opportunity to share my experience being that most had not experience in such positions.

The hardest part of the job was the scheduling and break downs in communication between leadership. The management set up made it semi-difficult to maintain balance between departments when projects needed to be completed.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the people that I worked with and the opportunity to self-manage. I was trusted to do my job and stay on top efficiency and accuracy.
Pros
great people
Cons
no benefits as students.
Great place to work while you are in school
AV Technician (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTSeptember 10, 2015
This is a great job if you need to work while going to school, but also have a lot of homework. No experience is needed, you learn everything on the job. Great work environment and really fun people.
Pleasant Atmosphere, Understanding Management
Accounting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTAugust 5, 2013
A typical work day starts with updating my Excel sheet with a query of recent changes of vendors in Peoplesoft, particularly their method of payment. I have see if my manager converted any of them to electronic payments. I proceed to make cold calls to the vendors we pay the most often, and follow up on past leads. After a few hours of this procedure, I begin scanning and data entering purchase card orders, invoices, journals, and checks. On certain days, I match checks and electronic payments to invoices in preparation of payment.
This position has taught me: how to multitask, cold call ethics, Peoplesoft navigation, data entry, how to scan, and how to overcome technological and social barriers. Learning about the cost of postage and stationary has shown me the economic and environmental benefits of electronic payments and digital invoices.
Co-workers are mostly students, as well. Therefore, they are pleasant enough, but they usually have little time to socialize outside of the office. They are very focused.
Management acknowledges that school comes first, but expects employees to focus on office tasks while on the clock. They give us potluck parties once a month for completing the monthly set of batches on time.
The most difficult part of the job is trying to get extra hours and sharing work with other employees.
The most enjoyable part of the job is by far is the attitude of the management. They understand that school is exhausting, and they give delicious rewards for hard work.
Pros
great management
Cons
limited amount of hours allowed by the university
Great Place to learn and to teach
Computer Science Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Laie, HIMay 19, 2015
I tutor math and programming classes here, great place to live and a very friendly culture. Professors here are really helpful, they get to know their students and offer helps and advice academically. As a computer science TA, I usually stay in lab to answer questions, and sometime teach classes if necessary. As a math tutor, I work in the math learning center to help students with their homework or explain any unclear concepts in math classes.
I taught religion part-time.
Part time Faculty (Former Employee) –  Provo, UtahMay 19, 2013
This was a perfect job except for the pay. It wasn't very good and there were no benefits.
Pros
everything
Cons
poor pay
Beautiful learning/teaching environment with various resources
English 101 Instructor (Former Employee) –  Laie, HIOctober 16, 2014
A typical day at work includes scheduling appointments with students, conducting a class with a minimum. I had to create and organize a syllabus to guide 20 students through a semester. I was also responsible for introducing national and international students’ to college level reading, writing, and analyzing various ranges and genres of English literature. Holding students responsible for their grades was one of the hardest parts of being an instructor, as well as grading students’ assignments and confronting those who lack in reaching requirements, daily. It was the hardest part because I would give them feedback on their work, and they almost never applied it.

I learned to be better organized, especially when taking on a major responsibility (like workshops or classes), and had multiple opportunities to assist in the development of both national and international students' reading, writing, and analyzing English.

I became a student manager once I qualified for CRLA Level 3 tutor, which is the highest I could attain at BYUH. The director and supervisor of the Reading Writing Center became close friends of mine and helped make it possible for me to teach during the Summer Semester 2014. During which, my mentor observed my class 3 times in order to give me tips on teaching and witness my progression.

My co-workers were mostly supportive and eventually felt like a work family. However, the most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the progress of an International student who could barely form a comprehensive sentence to the final research paper where a student is producing
  more... full arguments with support and conclusions. It's a beautiful sight to experience, and honestly, it made the hard parts worth it.  less
Pros
excellent managers and crew/staff, lasting friendships
Cons
low wage, minimal opportunities for raises or promotions, some requirements felt more restricting than helpful
Great learning environment with small class sizes and professors that care.
Laboratory Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rexburg, IDJuly 29, 2015
Had a great experience, professors are able to take more time to speak with individual students than is possible in many other educational environments.
Professor's aide for lab work
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rexburg, IDJuly 20, 2015
Assisted in teaching and implementing databases, helped install databases on many different systems, helped explain difficult database concepts to those struggling, and worked with professor on testing lab work and understanding of labs.
Engaging class with a very involved professor
Research Consultant (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJuly 7, 2015
I thought this semester-long project was good because it taught me all the major aspects of conducting in-depth research for a big company. After taking this class, I feel much more confident in my abilities to obtain accurate results through research methods.

4.6