Brigham Young University

Brigham Young University Employer Reviews

Exciting student job
Political Science Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Provo, UTDecember 24, 2013
I was able to work with other students, assisted a professor with grading student assignments, and assisted in reviewing course information with students.
Good
Senior Project Electrical Engineering Student (Former Employee), Provo, UTDecember 5, 2013
Great school! Great students! It's was a wonderful place to be.
An University with a very good graduate school for research.
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Provo, UTDecember 4, 2013
It is very productive to work with intelligent co-workers.
Good work/study job
Teacher Assistant, World Religions (Former Employee), Provo, UTNovember 21, 2013
There are plenty of student jobs. It was a good opportunity to work while also learning more about a subject that was interesting to me.
Great people
Custodial Worker (Current Employee), Provo, UTNovember 14, 2013
Pros: set hours, very stable, great management
Cons: low wages, very little chance for advancement
I have never had a bad manager at BYU. This was a work study position and I have already learned so much from my coworkers and manager.
Since this is work study they don't really expect you to stay around very long. Our custodial unit has a high turn over, but it's usually because they found something better suited to them.
The management never treats – more... you as disposable. You feel like you actually matter. – less
Worked with student employees to clean the dorms.
Custodial Supervisor (Former Employee), Provo, UTNovember 14, 2013
I really enjoyed working with students from all over the world. I was granted a Leave of Absence to go and serve a mission with my husband. When I returned, the church, including BYU, had a hiring freeze in place, so I was unable to return to work there.
A fun environment with good friends
Moving Crew (Former Employee), Provo, UTSeptember 30, 2013
Great environment to be around. Being the youngest worker, it was good to have a bunch of older brothers of the same ethnicity to spend time with. The job was flexible and on call and worked great around my class schedule.
University living and activities
Male Residence Hall Coordinator (Former Employee), Laie, HISeptember 26, 2013
As a Male Residence Hall Coordinator I was responsible for 400 male students representing 70 different countries. This was a challenge to deal with all the different cultures and personality difference in a living space. I directed 8 Resident Advisors in planning activities, creating programs to achieve academic goals and conflict resolution.
Fun Work Environment
Audio & Visual Events Technical Staff (Former Employee), Brigham Young UniversitySeptember 11, 2013
This was a fun student job to have while I studied. It was a little more demanding than other student jobs but it also paid a lot higher than other jobs. Management was going through some growing pains, but got better with time. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to support the athletic teams.
Helpful mentors
Research Group Leader (Former Employee), Provo, UTSeptember 8, 2013
Many opportunities for work while you study (TA/RA jobs). Supervisors are helpful, clear, and invested in your projects. They provide great on the job training.
Great student job
Teaching/Research Assistant for Geography Dept. (Former Employee), Provo, UTAugust 31, 2013
Loved working with the professors as well as other students. I learned a lot about working with GIS and preforming research in the field. Completed lab research with tree rings and dendrochronology. Loved the challenge of the research and being able to learn something new everyday.
Productive and fun at work place with awesome co-worker and guests
Language Tutor (Current Employee), Laie, HIAugust 16, 2013
Pros: develop networking with other cultures
Cons: language boundaries
Students rushed in to get materials for learning a specific language everyday. I always learn how to say few phrases in many different languages. I love to learn about different cultures and languages.It really helps me communicate better and relate how I feel easily to people of different backgrounds, growing experiences, cultures, and attitudes. The – more... management is amazing. We gained her trust and we are pretty much self-supervised. Her trust help us do our very best as we serve our guest. We loved it! My co-workers are amazing as well. We are very flexible and are willing to help each other. When we need to switched day off, we simply follow the procedure with exactness. We make notice on the schedule after the agreement, then email our boss for written proof and we closed the deal. The only potential challenge is when student who speak a foreign language and not English comes in and trying to hassle me. I can only speak Samoan and English. I wanted to help that person so bad but I cannot understand. So to fix that I am trying to learn Korean or Chinese. The most enjoyable of part of the job is that it gives me the opportunity to learn upfront skills to help be establish professionalism to cope with the real world. Overall, I am grateful I have job to put a roof over my family, put the food on the table, pay the bills, and serve others. – less
Pleasant Atmosphere, Understanding Management
Accounting Clerk (Current Employee), Provo, UTAugust 5, 2013
Pros: great management
Cons: limited amount of hours allowed by the university
A typical work day starts with updating my Excel sheet with a query of recent changes of vendors in Peoplesoft, particularly their method of payment. I have see if my manager converted any of them to electronic payments. I proceed to make cold calls to the vendors we pay the most often, and follow up on past leads. After a few hours of this procedure, – more... I begin scanning and data entering purchase card orders, invoices, journals, and checks. On certain days, I match checks and electronic payments to invoices in preparation of payment.
This position has taught me: how to multitask, cold call ethics, Peoplesoft navigation, data entry, how to scan, and how to overcome technological and social barriers. Learning about the cost of postage and stationary has shown me the economic and environmental benefits of electronic payments and digital invoices.
Co-workers are mostly students, as well. Therefore, they are pleasant enough, but they usually have little time to socialize outside of the office. They are very focused.
Management acknowledges that school comes first, but expects employees to focus on office tasks while on the clock. They give us potluck parties once a month for completing the monthly set of batches on time.
The most difficult part of the job is trying to get extra hours and sharing work with other employees.
The most enjoyable part of the job is by far is the attitude of the management. They understand that school is exhausting, and they give delicious rewards for hard work. – less
The people I worked with were nice.
Campus Security Officer (Former Employee), Laie, HIJuly 31, 2013
Pros: no pros
Cons: graveyard shift
A typical night we locked down the main facilities on campus. We would patrol campus, making sure everything was in order.The management of the job was good. The job was not difficult. The co-workers were fun and most of the time reliable. Walking around campus and intereacting with the students was one of the more enjoyable parts of the job.
Best University
Teaching Assistant, Department of Math (Former Employee), Provo, UTJuly 16, 2013
One of the best universities to be a part of. Had lots of fun studying and working.
Excellent place to work
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Provo, UTJuly 2, 2013
Wonderful environment in the workplace. Great support from supervisory positions.
A great place to work as a student
Custodial (Current Employee), Provo, UTJune 14, 2013
A typical day at work includes supervising missionaries at the MTC for their service.
I learned how to manage time for tasks and work with new people everyday.
The management at the MTC is very well organized and my boss is very kind.
My co-workers have become my best friends and I love going to work with them.
The hardest part of the job is keeping – more... busy for the whole shift because we often get done with everything early on.
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with great people. – less
Diverse, challenging & family oriented environment
Spanish Business Teacher Assistant (Former Employee), Provo, UTJune 11, 2013
Diverse people interacting in the same place, challenging assignments & family oriented environment
Postdoc research fellow (Current Employee), Provo. UTJune 5, 2013
People here are very nice and provo is also a very nice place to live.
Lots of opportunities to help other students and develop my own understanding of fundamental engineering concepts
Mechanical Engineering Tutor (Current Employee), Rexburg, IDJune 3, 2013
I help students understand basic engineering concepts in subjects such as Statics, Dynamics, Strengths of Materials, Material Science, and Physics. This has greatly increased my understanding of concepts in these areas. The hardest part of doing this job is remembering and explaining all the concepts I have learned during my education. I enjoy sharing – more... what I have learned and being someone other students can go to with questions. – less

About Brigham Young University

Founded in 1875, Brigham Young University has grown from a small pioneer academy to one of the world's largest private universities, – Read more