Brigham Young University

Brigham Young University Employee Reviews in United States

Gained good work experience and very flexible with school schedule.
STUDENT SECRETARY (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTOctober 10, 2014
Brigham Young University is a great place to work. They are more than willing to work around your class and testing schedule for school. As a working student, I was able to gain a lot of experience working with students, full-time staff, and professors alike. I learned to be very flexible, yet efficient with my work as there were multiple people needing my services at any given time. I enjoyed being able to work with people and not just being behind a computer the whole time.
Best Place
IT Engineer IV - Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTOctober 2, 2014
I have never worked anywhere as enjoyable as BYU. The politics was easily manageable, my supervisor was great at not micromanaging and enabling you to get your job done while still making sure that you had the understanding, tools, and assistance necessary to complete your tasks.

The longer I was there the more I liked it. The benefits are superb. The pay is... okay. But the benefits make up for a lot of that because of all that the university pays for insurance premiums, etc. Anyway, I can't say enough good stuff about working at BYU.
Pros
healthcare, discounts, learning opportunities, free classes
be friends with supervisor
Book Store - Sales Clerk (Current Employee) –  Laie, HIMarch 22, 2015
Be friends with supervisor, and you will be fine. I see my supervisor almost every time I work. Chatting with her, and willing to do the task she is asked to create a harmonious work environment.
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons
minimum wage
A pure joy to work there.
Adjunct Professor of religious education (Former Employee) –  Rexburg, IDSeptember 26, 2014
I was invited to teach freshmen religion classes for three semesters at BYU-Idaho, and I found the experience to be absolutely delightful. The staff are friendly, intelligent, caring, knowledgeable, and approachable. I had lots of support from the administration and my co-workers. I would gladly work there full-time if I could!
Pros
great co-workers, great students to work with.
Cons
as an adjunct, i could teach only one semester per year.
Instructing online is enjoyable and rewarding
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Rexburg, IDFebruary 21, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job is instructing students, and having a very supportive university for students of all backgrounds.
Pros
highly motivated instructors, 90% of the students are eager to learn
Cons
pay is good/not the highest
Opportunities to interact and excel
Teaching Assistant and Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTSeptember 22, 2014
Working at Brigham Young University gave me the opportunity to interact with students, professors, alumni, and devoted cougar fans. These diverse work relationships allowed me to understand how to excel in a professional work environment and learn from those around me. I am confident that the experiences I have had here will propel me to be successful in my future endeavors.
Nice Graduate school to attend
PhD Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTSeptember 10, 2014
If you are a LDS this is heaven on hearth for you. If you are not, its not like you are in he** either. Its a decent school with great research opportunities. Research work is at par of MIT and Stanford. They have lots of funding and lots of job opportunities. Tuition fees are probably the cheapest in entire USA. If you are a non Mormon single, life will be slightly different for you here. Job opportunities after graduation varies with field of study.
Good opportunities for students
Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTSeptember 30, 2014
BYU offers a variety of employment opportunities, and several of the programs and offices have paid positions with transferable skills. For example, I worked in the Political Science department's Center for the Study of Elections and Democracy (CSED), which was run like a graduate lab.
Pros
flexible hours, good exposure to faculty
Cons
low pay and sometimes
fun job, lots of students lots of plants
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rexburg, IDMarch 28, 2015
I had three responsibilities: Grade papers, set up lab, work in hydroponic green house. I loved my boss who was also a teacher for some of my classes. The pay wasn't great but the experience was.
Productive, restocking, keeping track of inventory
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rexburg, IDMay 18, 2014
I was in charge of the inventory in my section. I was over the office supplies in the store. I didn't make commission off of sales but I did have to know my products to help others make decisions.

I loved the management. They were understanding when I had tests to take as well.

The hardest part was the slow pace. Days went by extremely slowly.

The most enjoyable thing was that I met so many people that were attending my campus.
Pros
working on campus
Cons
slow time
Too much politics involved
Spanish Language Faculty (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTMay 30, 2014
Too much work for what I was paid.

The Spanish department dripped politics & favoritism.

I enjoy the teaching, because the students were the best students, ever had, compared with the other 3 universities I taught.

The majority of the co-workers did not want to cooperate or share their knowledge to improve everyone's teaching skills.

You were on your own. Absolutely not team work.
Taught a great arbinger choice seminar
Fiji Club Vice President (Former Employee) –  Laie, HIApril 8, 2014
As most of the people that Polynesian Cultural Center is Hawaii's number #1 paid tourist destination . We work with people from all the around the world and most of the time we have different activities happening at Polynesian Cultural Center. This is where our guest service skills are always tested as my job being a supervisor i always make sure that we inspire our guest. One of the activity of PCC is Haunted Lagoon and this is one of the occasion which people don't miss and we receive 5000 guest per day. During this time i learned that a great leader is who leads his people by example and we did our best to inspire our performances through radiating our spirit everyday and in every way.
Pros
free canoe tour
Cons
short breaks
Early work, but doesn't get in the way of student life
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJanuary 9, 2014
Typical day is emptying trash and then other various cleaning tasks. Generally self directed work.

Learned self discipline to get up so early, learned tricks to cleaning and maintenance.

Management worked with students to give off time for studying.

Co-workers were friendly, but often unreliable.

Hardest part of the job was the early morning hours.

Most enjoyable part of the job was working with other students, and the ability to see and difference from your work.
Teaching Assistant at Brigham Young University
Teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJuly 31, 2014
This isn't a bad job. If you are a student who needs a little extra money or if you need to improve in a subject than this is a good position. Normally you grade papers and submit the grades to grade book. Occasionally you will need to help students with their course work. Management is very hands off and they give you all the tools you need to succeed without hovering over you shoulder. You will get better at what ever subject you TA and the hardest part of the job is the occasional question that is beyond your ability to answer after consulting the book. On these occasions you will need to take the student to the professor so that both of you can get help. It is great watching fellow students master difficult concepts.
Pros
time to work on homework or reading.
Cons
grading can become tedious.
Great people
Custodial Worker (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTNovember 14, 2013
I have never had a bad manager at BYU. This was a work study position and I have already learned so much from my coworkers and manager.
Since this is work study they don't really expect you to stay around very long. Our custodial unit has a high turn over, but it's usually because they found something better suited to them.
The management never treats you as disposable. You feel like you actually matter.
Pros
set hours, very stable, great management
Cons
low wages, very little chance for advancement
Bright People
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJune 3, 2015
Fantastic minds who work together. Everyone wants to be successful. They will push you while also understanding your limitations.
Lots of opportunities to help other students and develop my own understanding of fundamental engineering concepts
Mechanical Engineering Tutor (Current Employee) –  Rexburg, IDJune 3, 2013
I help students understand basic engineering concepts in subjects such as Statics, Dynamics, Strengths of Materials, Material Science, and Physics. This has greatly increased my understanding of concepts in these areas. The hardest part of doing this job is remembering and explaining all the concepts I have learned during my education. I enjoy sharing what I have learned and being someone other students can go to with questions.
A great place to work as a student
Custodial (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTJune 14, 2013
A typical day at work includes supervising missionaries at the MTC for their service.
I learned how to manage time for tasks and work with new people everyday.
The management at the MTC is very well organized and my boss is very kind.
My co-workers have become my best friends and I love going to work with them.
The hardest part of the job is keeping busy for the whole shift because we often get done with everything early on.
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with great people.
Good coworkers, great environment
Course Improvement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rexburg, IDAugust 2, 2012
It was a great environment, really fun coworkers, I worked improving the online courses for BYU - Idaho, I learned different skills, such determine different problems and find their solutions. Worked closely with instructors to ad/remove information and fix problems(typos, deadlines, etc) with the courses. The hardest it was the fast pace that at times I had several course to work on, or fixes and improvements. The most enjoyable was the flexible deadlines, and the great coworkers. Fun and easy going supervisor.
Pros
fun environment, good coworkers, easy pace job, with flexible deadlines
Cons
short breaks, low pay.
Great Education
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTFebruary 19, 2013
Overall, BYU is a great place to get a Graduate Education/Post-Doc. The chemistry department has great faculty and a wide variety of research opportunities. Compared to other Chemistry Institutions the faculty does not demand tons of hours from their students. Due to the religious nature of the university, many people opt for other universities. The indirect result of this is that there is far more funding and resources per capita (due to religious funding) than would exist at many other places.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Brigham Young University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.6