Brigham Young University

Brigham Young University Employee Reviews

Very flexible; works around student schedule
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTOctober 12, 2015
Working at/for BYU was a great experience for me. It allowed me to pay my tuition every semester while managing a hectic school schedule. It's so worth it to do this as a student because it provides a small income and forces good time management development.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
student paycheck
Great opportunity for graduate students
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTJanuary 11, 2016
I loved the open door approach my supervisor had. Whenever I had any issues, my supervisor, who was my adviser was willing to make time to help me resolve concerns.
Lead Sign Shop Tech. (Former Employee) –  Rexburg, IDMarch 2, 2016
Making signs and installing vinyl in fun and precise. Supervisors and managers are great to work with and very understanding.
Productive but hard work
Dish Washer (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJanuary 16, 2016
I worked with great people. It was kind of dirty since I was washing dishes all the time, but I felt productive. I was able to pick up extra hours when I could. You must be a student to work here.
Efficient yet relaxed atmosphere.
Student Manager - Early Morning Custodian (Current Employee) –  Rexburg, IDAugust 20, 2015
At this job I learned to be a leader among my peers. I learned how to be punctual and keep a good schedule. Some of the challenges of the job would be scheduling over the weekend and keeping people motivated, but was achieved using an organized work schedule and having a good attitude.
Pros
This job was great because it did not interfere with school work.
University Job
TEACHING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTFebruary 15, 2016
Requires working with professor and students. Opportunity to improve teaching skills and help others. Rewarding job for students.
Good University
Mandarin Tutor and Data Forecasting Class TA (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTFebruary 3, 2016
Brigham Young University is a good university! I learned a lot during these two years! And people here are very friendly!
Great working place with diverse people.
Student Accountant (Current Employee) –  Laie, HIDecember 14, 2015
I really working at BYU-Hawaii where diverse people work. I have learned many different cultures and love them all. Working while studying is not hard since my work is just so near.
Able to be involved with management in perfecting courses before release.
COURSE EVALUATOR (Former Employee) –  Rexburg, IDDecember 21, 2015
Assimilated large amounts of information. Submitted weekly reviews on hot to improve courses. Participated in improvement councils.
Good School
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTJanuary 17, 2016
I am doing my PhD in field of Catalysis and Chemical Reaction engineering in Brigham Young University. My advisers are very knowledgeable and helpful.
Good place to earn money as a college student
Math Tutor/ Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Rexburg, IDJune 23, 2015
BYU-Idaho has been a good place to work as a college student. The hours are very reasonable and flexible to work around your life style. The people are good to work with here. Management needs some work though. They have a hard time making changes to problems and resolving issues. It is a place to have a job, but not a career.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Poor Management
Great Place to learn and to teach
Computer Science Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Laie, HIMay 19, 2015
I tutor math and programming classes here, great place to live and a very friendly culture. Professors here are really helpful, they get to know their students and offer helps and advice academically. As a computer science TA, I usually stay in lab to answer questions, and sometime teach classes if necessary. As a math tutor, I work in the math learning center to help students with their homework or explain any unclear concepts in math classes.
Great place to work.
Teachers Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rexburg, IDDecember 12, 2015
-Helped students with projects and assignments
-Graded and gave feedback on student assignments.
-Assisted in any other services the professor needed.
Pros
Great people to work with.
Great Employers and Great Atmostphere
Chemistry Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rexburg, IDNovember 21, 2015
Wonderful people And wonderful Atmosphere with very friendly people. A great opportunity to work on a team and grow as individuals in all the different parts of BYUI
Great place to work!
Instructor - Essentials of Calculus (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTOctober 22, 2015
I worked as an instructor and assistant instructor, and I loved it. The coworkers, management, and administration are all very helpful and friendly. Fun to work with students, who are bright and mostly eager to learn.
Basic job, decent summer-time job
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJanuary 13, 2016
I would go and clock in at 8, go see my manager and she would tell me and my co-workers what the jobs were that day. Then we would spend our shift fulfilling those jobs. If we finished those jobs before our shift ended we would either go back to the manager and ask her what else she wanted us to do, or we would ask our group leader and he would give us an assignement. At 12 we would clock out.

I learned that it is important to follow instructions and do your best to fulfill the instructions that you receive. Attention to detail is important in order to do a good job.

The management was decent. The manager would give advice on how you could do better and what she wanted you to do. Although there seemed to be some miscommunication between the management and the employees from time to time.

My co-workers were good. They were helpful when you were confused about what was expected of you.

The hardest part of the job was finding things to do once you finished the specific things that your manager asked you to do.

The most enjoyable part of the job was that it was pretty easy-going.
Pros
Easy-going
Cons
Didn't learn any specific skills
great workplace with awesome coworkers
Storeroom worker (Former Employee) –  Laie, HIMay 6, 2015
a typical day at the job was to receive shipments and put it away in the back, also we were required to clean the kitchen and refill the bottled drinks at the school owned store. at the end of the shift we sometimes used the forklift to take the trash bins to the corner.

i learned many things including how to fulfill all my jobs in an orderly fashion and to assist the cooks in their work as well.

Management was great and they treated us as equals rather than employees.

Coworkers were fellow college students and they were great. we worked as a team.

the hardest part of the job was building different equipment for the cafeteria, but even that wasn't that hard.

the most enjoyable part of the job was the work parties.
Pros
free meals at the cafeteria
Cons
less hours per week
Brilliant Organizational Structure
Economics Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTFebruary 27, 2015
Brigham Young University is unlike any other organization of higher learning. It hires students to work in entry level positions throughout the university. This includes clerical, custodial, and base administrative positions. This provides many more employment opportunities for students to pay for their way through school. It also allows for lower university wages since most positions are part time. The university then passes these savings onto the students through lower university costs and astronomically low tuition rates.
Great People, Great Environment, Engaging Work
Computing Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJanuary 2, 2015
Working at a university provides many opportunities to learn new things on about any subject you can imagine.

The people you work for are the friendliest you will find, and are family focused, so they understand the needs of working parents.

One of the most interesting and challenging things you might be involved in is assisting with research projects. Working with experts exploring new aspects of their area of expertise provides a great chance to learn about something new in depth.

If the opportunity to work at BYU arises, don't pass it up!
Pros
Clean, friendly work environment.
Cons
As with any large organization, bureaucracy imposes complexity.
As a student, fantastic!
Security Analyst (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTJanuary 1, 2015
BYU does a fantastic job of giving incredible employment opportunities to it's students wishing to work in IT. BYU in general is a national leader in student employment. I've had real professional experience in my profession leading up to graduation, rather than having to scramble to find some after graduation. Very thankful for that.

As for IT positions for full-time employees, I can't say much because I'm not one.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Brigham Young University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3