Bright Horizons Family Solutions

Bright Horizons Family Solutions Employee Reviews

Less than understanding environment
Call Center Consultant (Former Employee) –  Broomfield, COJanuary 8, 2017
I started training at the Broomfield, CO location just before Thanksgiving. My father at the time was in the hospital, I would be maybe 1-2 minutes late most days because I would go and visit my Father before work. At first they were very understanding. When my Father passed away, I was able to take the 3 days for bereavement leave, which was nice. When I returned to work, I was ultimately let go a few days later due to being a couple minutes late several other days after my father passed. I am offended and disheartened that I worked very hard while I was there and due to being 1-2 minutes late a few days they fired me right after my Father's death. Management is less than empathetic or understanding and I would not recommend anyone to work here unless they are ok with long hours... BS "breaks" and an uncomfortably insensitive overall environment.
Pros
Paid bereavement leave; paid Holidays
Cons
Quality of work is not taken into account; managment
horrible experience
Associate Teacher (Former Employee) –  Hammond, LAJanuary 7, 2017
Bright Horizons may be a great school. The BH I worked at was not. The management was awful. You always end up working overtime. I am talking 11 hour shifts with only one 30 minute lunch. The pay isn't good. usually starts around 9 dollars. the annual raises are a joke im talking 5 to 10 cents. They love to let the kids get away with everything. They do not believe in telling the children NO, or putting children in time out. example: if a child is hitting you because they can't get their way, you can't tell the child no or stop. you have to REDIRECT the child. So you would persuade the child to hit the ball instead of hitting you. So the child never learns hitting your teachers are wrong. The location I worked at was Christian based. We prayed before lunch had Christmas programs telling the story of baby jesus. The workers loved the children treated them with love and care the management was awful. More of a passive aggressive type. A great job to have while you're in school because its flexible and pays more than minimum wage. if you looking for a career then you'll be living paycheck to paycheck.
Pros
being around loving children
Cons
short lunch. no breaks. long hours. managment.
Good benefits.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  ColoradoJanuary 22, 2017
This company pays it's subs more than they do their current teachers. At least in the state I work in. They offer sign on bonuses to new hires and referral bonuses for employees that refer a friend. When they should be giving bonuses to current employees that have worked there for a significant amount of time. The yearly raises are small and I haven't gotten an anniversary gift in at least 5 years. Each school is run by individual managers so I can't say this reflects BH as a whole but the Director and Education Coordinator at my school do not communicate very well. When employees are not happy about something and bring it up to the Director, she acts like it's their fault instead of taking a look in the mirror. She's always placing blame instead of taking a look at herself and the Ed Coordinator. We keep losing staff because of that reason. So the turnover at my school is very high. I feel like the company cares more about making money than it does it's employees.
Pros
Benefits, opportunities to grow.
Cons
Too much paperwork on a daily basis, stressful environment
Good environment to work in
Toddler Teacher (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEJanuary 17, 2017
Consistent with hours, you never had to worry about whether you were going to lose hours weekly, as some schools might. Management, director in particular, was great, but her mind always seemed to be elsewhere, and not always focused on the school. They tried to meet everyone's needs. Co-workers were, for the most part, great. Lots of gossiping, however.
Pros
fun environment to work in, everyone got along
Cons
benefits were high for a corporate organization, child care expenses were high as well for employees
Slave wages, and work you until your cripple, dead or quit!
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  NYJune 29, 2016
In the beginning its fine, then things begin to change for the worse. Management will stab you in the back and smile in your face at the same time. You work hard and get so much accomplished on a daily bases-the amount of paper work is ridiculous-You are constantly taking care of the kids, sunscreen, diapers, toothpaste, cots, washing tables sweeping floors, writing lesson plans, teaching the children, monitoring the children outdoors,planning and putting up document boards, meetings, training, cleaning, but that work is ignored. They are quick to write you up for any minor flaw. The pay starts out super low with a minuscule raise every year. they rarely spend money on any good supplies for the children even after taking all their parents tuition money-which is way to high! It is a mystery as to what they do with it, because they sure don't pay their employees!. They provide horrible cheap food and snacks for the kids and directors never like to work in the classrooms when the rooms are out of ratio. Run as fast as you can and save yourself the stress!!!
Pros
Most of the kids and parents
Cons
Really low pay, no support from managers, difficult to take days off. Long hours.
Just a regular job
Remote Customer Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Broomfield, COJanuary 6, 2017
This is a great company to work for if you like flexibility and the option to work from home. People who work in the office get treated better than work from home employees
Pros
great benefits, paid holidays, PTO, flexibility
Cons
Constantly draws your name to work on holidays, more workload than what the pay is worth, no advancement opportunities for remote employees, Says there is a bonus that is paid out however you never see it on paychecks
Bad management, unorganized administration
Infant Room Teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 31, 2016
The management is horrible. The company can/will add your name to the do not rehire list if you decide to leave the company to advance in your career, or if they don't like you personally. The staff is easy to get along with, as well as the parents. Admin was unorganized. You never have supplies or planning time! Stay away! They expect you to come to work even if there is 12 feet of snow outside.
Pros
Parents
Cons
Short breaks, no advancement, favoritism
Great company to work for
Infant Center Teacher (Former Employee) –  Upton, NYJanuary 18, 2017
The team you work with are all highly trained and great at their job, management is supportive and knowledgeable, overall it is a really great place to work.
Pros
Free food sometimes, caring boss, nice families that are close by, great benefits
Cons
Often were under staffed
Bright Horizon Culture
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 23, 2016
Bright Horizons Culture can be loving; however, there were times where I wondered why does the admin team even ask for my opinion if it does not matter. Just like any other jobs, you will have your up and downs. I think each center is different. Some staff support one another, and others don't. They do support you in pursuing your education.

I feel like the employees' salary is okay, but it could be better. I believe you want to hire teachers with degrees, then you should pay them well.
Pros
Influencing the life of a child that needs you.
Cons
Overtime is hardly ever paid out (Make you take longer breaks or leave early)
Great Company
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Deerfield Beach, FLJune 16, 2016
My day at work is a routine. I know what to do and I try my best. It is a great opportunity to work around children and being able to teach them is an amazing experience. To observe their grow and being able to help them is what makes my day. I have learned so much since my first day there: multi-tasks, supervision of children by sight and sound, team work,etc. I love my co worker and I have a great relationship with her. The hardest part of my day is the lifting of my two years old to do the diapering all day long and the changes of their behavior constantly. The most enjoyable part of my job is to see my children learn, grow, the attachment I have with them, the relationship I have with them, with the parents and co workers. I love what I do besides the low wage.
Pros
Health Care, 401k, Vacation and holidays.
Cons
low wage and lake of management.
Interesting teaching program
Substitute Teacher (Early Childhood Education) (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 19, 2017
My typical day at work involves a lot of laughing and smiling, not to mention being flooded with hugs by children. I learned how their are multiple ways children develop their motor skills by interacting with the environment through curiosity. My substitute staffing coordinator is one of the best managers I have come across in my history of working. There are multiple diversities and backgrounds I have been exposed to, primarily by the way children are fed, dressed, and their way of playing. The hardest part of the job would have to be ensuring the children are 100% safe, no matter how hazard free your classroom may be. There is still harm just a grasp away from children's reach. My favorite part of the job has to be seeing children learn new skills that you helped them develop.
Pros
Employee benefits
Cons
As a substitute work may not be guaranteed a full week of work.
Management expects you do to everything yourself
Associate Teacher (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAJanuary 14, 2017
Management's expectations of what employees are supposed to be responsible for is unreasonable. When you bring this up to them, they tell you that they are there to support you with whatever you need, but then never are. What's worse, when you do make a mistake, even a minor one, because they weren't there to support you, they write you up for it. Every single thing that goes wrong is always an employee's fault, never the director's. Overly critical, expect teachers to take work home with them (off the clock) while paying meager hourly wages. The ratio of pay to responsibility is not even worth it.
Pros
Discounts on childcare, but not much, and there's a waitlist for the employee discount
Cons
pretty much everything
Macking a change
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAOctober 10, 2016
Making a change through a child's life, helps you reflect as an adult because your helping someone who's looking up to,who's inspired by you and hope to see a hero in you.Bright horizons help allow different cultures encourage students to reach there true potential,motivative them by creating more fun activities,lesson plan in school itself. I learned that you can help younger students more because their brain develops everyday and you can have an impact as romel to them just by making a effort to show you care.Hardest part of the job is knowing that you cant be in that childs forever that sometime he or she will move on into a new school or you will as well.
Pros
great environment, positive energy and good vibes
Cons
distance
Poor management made it stressful
Infant Education Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Watertown, MAMarch 27, 2016
The poor management skills of our center director made it very hard for me to be productive. She was also unable to make any type of personal connection with the staff. Because of my work load and the need for me in a classroom I was unable to have any work life balance. I often worked 45-50 a week, which became hard for my son. I was expected to take work home, which added another 5 hours to my work week. I was not able to take days off or call in sick without be made to feel guilty. In the last 6 months I was there I called out sick once with the stomach bug. I was asked if I could come in later that afternoon so that the director wouldn't have to go into a classroom.

My overall experience at tge company was great. I love the families I work with and the teachers are amazing! I was able advance in my career and learn a lot. I will always be very grateful for that.

Comment – April 21, 2016

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are glad to hear that you have a positive overall experience during your time at Bright Horizons; however, wanted to address your concerns surrounding management. As a company, we are deeply committed towards ensuring a supportive work environment for all employees; we want our employees to feel not only that their work is valued and appreciated but that we value and appreciate the whole person. We do take issues regarding management very seriously and are not sure if you were able to try and address your them with your Regional Manager or Human Resources Manager; however, if you would be willing to share more about your experience, please contact us at wearelistening@brighthorizons.com.

Somethings are good
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILDecember 7, 2016
Bright Horizons is a good place to work. sometimes stressful with work life balance. co-workers seem to work together for the most part. Management team seems to be getting better but needs to work on listening.
Dissatisfied.
Associate Teacher (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 15, 2016
Overall, I am dissatisfied with this company. I will not recommend this to ANYONE.-Not even my worse enemy.
The Director was fired . along with 12 other employees. Parents are gripping. Children have no control. Children are talked about while being present. Employees are sloppy and disrespected. There had been three different supervisor my 1st year employed.

Very dissatisfied.
Pros
Off on Thanksgiving.
Cons
lack of support. high ratio, distastful manangement. gossip uncontrollable. lack of better judgment.

Comment – December 1, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We believe strongly in our mission and the responsibility of caring for children is our highest concern. Transition periods can be challenging for a center and to have this disruption can be stressful for employees as well as the children and families. Please reach out to your Regional Manager and/or HR Manager to discuss any concerns that you have. They are the best resources in terms of support during a time where you may not have a Center Director. If you not sure where to begin in terms of reaching out, please contact HR Concerns or wearelistening@brighthorizons.com so we can ensure you are connected and can share more details of what is concerning you at your location. Thank you for all that you do for children and families every day. It is such an important role and we want all our employees to be able to find the joy in their work, even when (or better, especially when) difficult situations arise.

Fast Paced Day Care Center
Assistant Teacher (Current Employee) –  Parsippany, NJNovember 30, 2016
This is one of the pricier day care center's around, however it is needed in order for the center to run succesfully. Typically you are expected to care for all the children in your care from feeding,potty training, implementing curriculum, and provide a nurturing environment for them. It hard at times to depend on others to provide assitance if needed so you have to be able to multi task and juggle many responsibilites at one time. But when you get to make a child smile or see their fisrt steps or hear their fisrt words it's all worth the stress and aggrevation.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Schedule changes weekly
A wonderful place to gain experience and knowledge.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEDecember 21, 2016
Bright Horizons works very hard to be the best of the best. They are always changing and implementing what is best for children. Each facility is run on the heart principles which I feel is key to their success. They take pride in their teachers and offer great educational benefits. The curriculum that is implanted daily in each classroom is not only at the heart of the company, but provides the best education for children to learn.
Pros
Teachers are the most important to the company
Cons
The floating to other Bright Horizon Centers.
Great people to work with. Fun environement
Preschool Teacher (Current Employee) –  RoundSeptember 21, 2016
I love working with kids, as well as co workers. I learned a lot of new skills related to child care. Management is very helpful. Hardest part of the job is dealing with some of the parents. There is no room or advancement.
Pros
Great People
Cons
No chance for growth or better pay
Awesome place to work and watch children learn and grow!
Infant Lead Teacher (Current Employee) –  Vernon Hills, ILAugust 12, 2016
Great company to work for. Believes in work-life balance. Great benefits as well as tuition reimbursement. Families and co-workers are the BEST! Director and anyone in a higher up position is helpful and the company is wonderful overall.
Pros
Appreciated for hard work
Cons
Cant think of any

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bright Horizons Family Solutions. Our community is ready to answer.