Bright Horizons Family Solutions Employee Reviews

Expected frustration everyday to say the least
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, NYFebruary 16, 2017
Working at the center was very stressful. The overall center of the classroom is not teaching but taking pictures of the children to send out to the parents in their daily emails. It focused more of painting a pretty picture for the parents rather than actually teaching anything valuable to the kids.
Management was also horrible. They did not communicate well with each other when it came to days off, coming in late or early. They treated you more like a body to cover the classroom rather than an employee.
When asked to go to the bathroom during the day it would take over 45 minutes to get someone to allow you to leave the room.
Lunch breaks were pushed from 30 mins up to an hour and a half because floaters got stuck in the room if teachers did not return from their breaks on time. And on occasion we did not receive a break if too many people called out and the center did not have people to cover staff breaks.
Children were also moved from room to room which happened way too many times because of a lack of staff to cover a certain amount of children in each room. Children were sent back to their original rooms at the end of the day for pick up in order for their parents not to get upset.
Pros
Relationships with children and parents
Cons
Management, bathroom breaks, constant miscommunication
Great potential
TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 13, 2017
The management, team members and integrity of the company are well intact but the daily 'busy work' limits interaction with the children. The documentation of every single move with a student ratio to children at 1:7 makes the time spent with open play very minimal.
Pros
productive, teaching children, making a difference
Cons
low pay, early mornings, minimal advancement
Love working with the children
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 10, 2017
I've worked with kids for a very long time and this company helps you grow and works well with you and gives support. I was just ready to move into another career field.
Pros
Working with kids
Cons
There isn't any
Children and Families
Infant/Toddler Teacher (Former Employee) –  IndianaFebruary 9, 2017
Caretaker of children and provide quality care. Each day is different in what you will be doing and providing. The main focus is delivering quality care to each child and providing a safe secure environment for the children each day.
not stable
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCFebruary 8, 2017
I worked here about six months and had three different directors and teachers quitting left and right, it was horrible your lunch breaks was any where from 20 minutes to 45 never consistent. I was very excited to work here in which the benefits where great but they treat their teachers like children you never hardly get a bathroom break or a break period and you can forget just having a ten minute break to get your thoughts together its not allowed. Management never come to classroom to help its a zoo and children and teachers are shifted to different classes like crazy its awful.I was very disappointed and shocked at the way that center was ran if parents only knew how they actually operate they would be disgusted.
Pros
no weekends
Cons
no consistency with classrooms or students
Decent
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 6, 2017
It was a fairly good place to work at. It was definitely a little hard to come everyday to work, only because it was a little to a lot stressful. Overall, it was decent.
Pros
Money
Cons
very rewarding place to work
PROGRAM ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Colonie, NYFebruary 6, 2017
It is a nice place to work and i loved working with the members every day. They make you laugh an make your day. When they walk in you see the smiles on their face just to see you, sometimes they may not know who you and others do. It is a very rewarding job and for people who love working with seniors it is a great environment for you to work.
Fun environment, good coworkers
Associate Teacher (Former Employee) –  Andover, MAFebruary 2, 2017
This job was chaotic at times but always fun with the kids. It provided insight on how to problem solve and use positive redirection with kids. It helped me hone my skills in resolving conflict in a professional manner. Lastly, it taught me how to establish a connection with kids, which will be useful as I aspire to be a Physician's Assistant in a pediatric setting.
Pros
I learned many things, fun work environment
Cons
Low pay, I don't like working Monday - Friday, the same 8 hours every day, every week
Bh
System Administrator (Current Employee) –  Broomfield, COJanuary 30, 2017
there is a lack of communication; groups are not notified about projects or who/when these are being worked on; management does not understand the need or direction
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
lack of communication
Quality company poor management
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, INJanuary 29, 2017
The Lafayette Indiana center has been out of good management for years. Teachers are always leaving due to how treated.
The education is great and they have good teachers that leave when mistreated by management
Pros
Loving teachers
Cons
Bad management
Co workers are 5 stars, admin...not so much
Teacher (Current Employee) –  NHJanuary 28, 2017
I have only worked for Bright Horizons for a year. At first it was wonderful. I felt supported by my admin team, however, things have gradually changed. While I have seen several co workers advance their careers, I don't see many advancing out of the center to corporate type positions. I don't need the health benefits, but I hear they are expensive and don't cover much. As far as support.....it has really changed over the year. As a group, we feel that it's all about the money and not what's best. Rooms have two teachers with a float to cover breaks only. Planning time hardly ever happens, which means we can't get out of the room to get what we need. Kids are constantly being moved to different rooms to keep each room within teacher to child ratio. Kids are allowed to stay or return to the center when they are sick, which means we teachers get sick, and that leaves us short staffed most of the time. Admin has really left us feeling unsupported by their actions. They have become very secretive as far as what happens in the center or the rooms. We are never explained why things are changing, just that it is and deal with it. Admin is big on NO gossiping but have been caught doing it themselves, and then lying about it.

One of the worst admin teams I've worked with.

I LOVE my fellow teachers, however the admin is all "do as I say, not as I do",
Pros
Co teachers, kids, parents
Cons
Unsupportive admin team, not enough coverage, too much paper/computer work.
Bright Horizons
UPMC Passavant, Associate Teacher (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 24, 2017
I enjoy working for Bright Horizons because they provide efficient and quality care to there staff. With the proper training I am able to better myself and the work I do by being up to date with the latest policies and changes in childcare situations. Bright Horizons helps motivate me and gives me pride in what I do.
Administration like Family
Lead Infant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 24, 2017
I have no complaints about my time working at Bright Horizons@Baldwin Park Orlando... Staff was very friendly and Administration was like family.. Great place to work... Beautiful facility!
A great learning environment
Education Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 23, 2017
They have an excellent program for children. Work well with parents. Upper management more concerned with profits than employees. I was given too many tasks to accomplish in a 40 hour week.
Pros
Staff works well together
Cons
Not enough time to complete company requirements
Good benefits.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  ColoradoJanuary 22, 2017
This company pays it's subs more than they do their current teachers. At least in the state I work in. They offer sign on bonuses to new hires and referral bonuses for employees that refer a friend. When they should be giving bonuses to current employees that have worked there for a significant amount of time. The yearly raises are small and I haven't gotten an anniversary gift in at least 5 years. Each school is run by individual managers so I can't say this reflects BH as a whole but the Director and Education Coordinator at my school do not communicate very well. When employees are not happy about something and bring it up to the Director, she acts like it's their fault instead of taking a look in the mirror. She's always placing blame instead of taking a look at herself and the Ed Coordinator. We keep losing staff because of that reason. So the turnover at my school is very high. I feel like the company cares more about making money than it does it's employees.
Pros
Benefits, opportunities to grow.
Cons
Too much paperwork on a daily basis, stressful environment
Poor Manangement
Cook/Teacher/Staff Support (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCJanuary 19, 2017
Working with the children was a great pleasure. Most of the the teachers there were great as well. However, in the short time I was there I witnessed about 50 employees leave and 5 different directors take over. It's not very organized to be a childcare facility. The staff lacked communication among themselves and with the employees.
Pros
Working with children of all ages
Cons
Poor management
Interesting teaching program
Substitute Teacher (Early Childhood Education) (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 19, 2017
My typical day at work involves a lot of laughing and smiling, not to mention being flooded with hugs by children. I learned how their are multiple ways children develop their motor skills by interacting with the environment through curiosity. My substitute staffing coordinator is one of the best managers I have come across in my history of working. There are multiple diversities and backgrounds I have been exposed to, primarily by the way children are fed, dressed, and their way of playing. The hardest part of the job would have to be ensuring the children are 100% safe, no matter how hazard free your classroom may be. There is still harm just a grasp away from children's reach. My favorite part of the job has to be seeing children learn new skills that you helped them develop.
Pros
Employee benefits
Cons
As a substitute work may not be guaranteed a full week of work.
Great company to work for
Infant Center Teacher (Former Employee) –  Upton, NYJanuary 18, 2017
The team you work with are all highly trained and great at their job, management is supportive and knowledgeable, overall it is a really great place to work.
Pros
Free food sometimes, caring boss, nice families that are close by, great benefits
Cons
Often were under staffed
Good environment to work in
Toddler Teacher (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEJanuary 17, 2017
Consistent with hours, you never had to worry about whether you were going to lose hours weekly, as some schools might. Management, director in particular, was great, but her mind always seemed to be elsewhere, and not always focused on the school. They tried to meet everyone's needs. Co-workers were, for the most part, great. Lots of gossiping, however.
Pros
fun environment to work in, everyone got along
Cons
benefits were high for a corporate organization, child care expenses were high as well for employees
Learning Experience (Back Up Center)
Associate Teacher (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 17, 2017
When I accepted the job offer for the center I work at I understood that this was a temporary job. This was intended to give me the experience that I needed so that I could find a permanent position somewhere else. With that being said I have this advice: If you are looking to make hours weekly, then make sure you stay away from BackUp centers, Unless your going in for a lead teacher position. In my current situation I work very few hours weekly possibly 1-2 days. This is because we are a back up center and we do not regularly have children in our center while public schools are open. Starting pay for this location was between 10-12/hour. It's good if your a student and need a part time position that isn't strenuous.
Pros
Experience with teaching children
Cons
not enough hours at back up center.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bright Horizons Family Solutions. Our community is ready to answer.

Bright Horizons Family Solutions Reviews by Location