Bright Horizons Family Solutions Employee Reviews

Most of the actual teachers were nice and encouraging. Children were ok as well.
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 10, 2017
Because of so many rules, the teachers are constantly on the go in the rooms and are exhausted at the end of the day. It was really hard to implement things that work for discipline and such because of the rules handed down from the director of this site. Corporate indicated through a telephone interview I had that my ideas were acceptable yet the site director shot down any kind of reward system for good behavior. It also seemed they were always looking for fault in anything to discipline people and were always very vague when they questioned about anything.
Pros
offer nice things (retirement, insurance, etc), nice training.
Cons
Head director seems misguided as to what corperate really desires in the centers, too vague in attemts to get to the "bottom of the issues", always seemed to look for fault.
Typical work day
VPK Teacher (Former Employee) –  Lake Worth, FLApril 9, 2017
A typical day ;Classroom with a lot of children, mixed ages with no help.

What I learned: Do your research first!
Management:Torture

culture;ok

hardest part:Closing
Pros
children
Cons
everything else
The teachers were great and the events for the children were good too.
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Upper Gwynedd, PAApril 7, 2017
i also loved working here. I picked up several certificates here as well through on the job training.Participated in webinars and earned even more certificates.
Pros
worked independently, had a lot of responsibilities.
Cons
downsized
Fun first job
Telecommunications Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Watertown, MAApril 6, 2017
This was my first job out of college so I didn't know what to expect but had a great experience working there. The overall culture of BH is great, I simply didn't enjoy the particular job I had, but I took it because it was a full time job with benefits, which I needed at 22 years old.
Pros
great work culture
Fun day
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Trumbull, CTApril 6, 2017
loving to to work the infant and toddlers. The happy faces of the parents and children that came everyday to childcare center. The joy and stress free of holding them in your arms when crying or just needing attention. The staff was very caring and respectful of others that worked there. The center was warm and inviting. Very colorful and happy place to be at.
Pros
playing with the infants and toddlers
Cons
short breaks
Work security
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Newark, DEApril 4, 2017
This is a very nice company to work for but they don't pay very well. If you're punctual and come to work everyday you will have your job forever. Very clean facility with friendly staff and families.
Pros
Hard to get fired, work security
Cons
Low pay, under staffed
Amazing employees and wonderful kids but management needs severe improvement
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 4, 2017
Wish it was more diverse and employees were treated with respect.Also compensate employees for what they are worth. Employees are overlooked and sometimes not appreciated for the things they do daily
Love this company!!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCApril 4, 2017
I worked for BHFS for over 10 years. It was my home away from home. I worked with a very great team and worked with some very talented staff.

The training and competitive salaries are worth it, and I would come back to BH immediately if needed.

Great place to work!
Pros
Fun family environment, ongoing trainings and staff development, professional atmosphere
Cons
higher pay is desirable but fair
A home away from home
Lead Toddler Teacher (Current Employee) –  Brentwood, MOApril 3, 2017
I loved every minute there! I turned a classroom into a home, and a group of students and co workers into a family. The office staff are the best group of listeners, guiders and modeling high expectations and professionalism. Its a wonderful place to work.
Pros
Professionalism, great pay, great co workers
Cons
Hard to juggle with having children
great environment
Infant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAApril 2, 2017
great and diverse staffing, very flexible with scheduling. parent appreciation is not all there but over all is good. need improvement in the communication between director and teachers.
Pros
flexibility, great work ethics
Cons
short breaks, lacks communications with director and staff.
don't waste your time.
Lead Montessori Instructor (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 1, 2017
Low pay. over worked. The company is all about money, and try to act as if they care about the well being of the children in the centers, but only see them as dollar signs,
Pros
the children, the staff
Cons
every thing
It depends on the Bright Horizons you work at
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 30, 2017
Bright Horizons is a big company and it depends on the location you work at. Bright Horizons has a lot of policies in place that can be helpful and also restrictive. In terms of early childhood development it has a high standard compared to smaller schools.
Pros
Corporate structure, Room to advance
Cons
Corporate structure
False expectations
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Andover, MAMarch 30, 2017
Things were great here till a seemingly homophobic employee misfiled a report on me. although DCF cleared me of the alleged incidence , bright horizons still terminated my employment do to failure to follow procedure, i received no warning, no retraining opportunity and was humiliated in front of several co workers. once again i was terminated even when DCF found the accusations to be false.
Pros
small class rooms
Cons
bias homophobic medical harassment
Fun place to work, very supportive environment.
Kindergarten-Prep Teacher (Former Employee) –  Redwood City, CAMarch 29, 2017
Good company to work for. The company has many locations across the country and now even internationally. Very easy to relocate. They have good benefits and will even reimburse you for ECE classes through their new program.
Pros
Great bosses, very caring, good team building and training. Lots of fun activities and ways to teach children.
Cons
Being moved to different classrooms, Strict rules, limited play with children
work/management
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Wauwatosa, WIMarch 29, 2017
A typical work day for me is great, I love to see all the smiling faces from the children as well as the warm welcomes I get in the morning from the parents. I don't agree with the way management handles getting off of work, I have worked here for over a year and I have never gotten off of work on time, there are even times i have stayed at least 40 minutes pass my off time. That cuts into time for my children and family. I work nine hour days I would love to get off work to cook dinner and spend time with my family.
Pros
lovely parents and children
Cons
hard to get off days, never get off on time
Wonderful Place to Work
Lead Teacher (Current Employee) –  Camden, NJMarch 29, 2017
This is an amazing company that is a wonderful place to work if the Administrative Team is competent and follows through with communication.

I would remain at this company if I could find a more supportive and efficient Administrative team.
Teachers work well together and support each other.
Preschool Teacher (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 29, 2017
Management seems to have a difficult time in scheduling and placement of staff. Staff gets moved around constantly which creates less consistency for children hence behavior problems. Seems to be some favoritism in advancements as staff is able to move up without degrees stated as a requirement for job positions.
The children is the saving grace
Toddler Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAMarch 28, 2017
I loved working with the children and creating a loving nurturing and educational environment. I wished the management and staff cared as I do. The program created a well balanced curriculum for the children but it lacked follow through by management and staff. This did not stop me from excelling and giving my children everything they need.
Love working with kids
TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Lake Cook locationMarch 26, 2017
I have only been at the job for 10 months but had a review with my boss before she left the agency. I was praised at all times working with the kids and staff. I was always on time to work and was always organized for my classroom. If they ask me to stay late I would and if they needed me to come in early I would always do to help out the staff and youth ration.
Pros
Pros just working with the young kids
Cons
they do not pay their teachers what the deserve
Great company at its core, but frustrations abound
Teacher (Former Employee) –  UtahMarch 24, 2017
At its core, Bright Horizons is a great company with benefits that are hard to find in the early childhood field. Bright Horizons' mission focuses on teaching children in a developmentally appropriate way and the company strives to treat all people with fairness and respect. The children and their families are always the highlight of this job. Unfortunately, recently there has been an increasing focus on money for the business which seems to have overtaken the focus on the children. There is little to no flexibility offered for the staff and it is hard for teachers to get their work completed during business hours. Taking home work and supplying classroom items are to be expected with the teacher job title, but the pay from Bright Horizons doesn't come near that of a public school teacher and prep time is now considered an unnecessary luxury by the company. The work is fun and rewarding, but it seems nearly impossible to maintain a work life balance with the current work model. Hopefully the company will get back on track because it is formed on excellent values and has the potential to be a leader in the early childhood field if it regains its focus on the children and valuing its staff.
Pros
Children and their families, fun and creative job, decent benefits, accepting atmosphere
Cons
Low pay, lack of flexibility, high expectations, increasing emphasis on making money over focusing on children

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bright Horizons Family Solutions. Our community is ready to answer.

Bright Horizons Family Solutions Reviews by Location