BrightStar Care Employee Reviews

caregiver to elderly people who has/had Alzheimer and dementia.
Home Aide Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 19, 2017
Coordinated with doctors and registered nurses to develop care plans for patients. Monitored and documented patients with acute conditions. Helped residents with day to day activates such as bathing, dental care and made sure all residents were clean and dry from day to night. Kept all rooms clean organized to there liking.
Pros
got to drive around Los Angeles and meet new people from all walks of life
Cons
worked with patients that had mental disorders
Striving to be the best employeer and Home Care company in Chattanooga
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNFebruary 17, 2017
I am a new member to the BrightStar Care of Chattanooga team! I have seen many changes in the few short months I have been here. Each change has been so beneficial in helping the company grow! Its a very exciting time here at BrightStar Care of Chattanooga. The employees are very friendly and super helpful! I felt very welcomed upon arrival and everyday since! We are building an amazing team of office staff, caregivers, CNA, MA, LPN and RN! This truly is next level Home Care! The employees are appreciated and honored regularly!
Pros
Energetic environment, Great people, Great Clients!!!! Compensation is above the area average
Something Extra
CNA/Caregiver (Former Employee) –  MarylandDecember 30, 2016
This company would be great if the management was more caring and understanding. They really do pick and choose who they give hours to. Considering that I perform my job at a high level at all times. There just shouldn't be months that I go without any work at all. I enjoy working with the clients and co workers,I learn a lot from new people but the money is below minimum wage and the miles that i put on my vehicle to help this company is not worth the effort.
Pros
Helping Ones in need
Cons
Below minimum wage
Create your own schedule but don't expect any help from office staff
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bluffton, SCJanuary 30, 2017
Working for this company started out as an amazing opportunity however, the more I've worked the more I've come to realize that even though they encourage you to utilize office staff if help is needed, you are almost chastised for asking for help when you need to report an observation or need assistance handling a situation. I also do not like the fact that there are absolutely no benefits offered, or at least none were offered to me as a full-time employee. I do like that I can create my own schedule and work in close proximity to where I live. I also appreciate that there are opportunities for training in specific areas of care.
Pros
Make your own schedule
Cons
No help from office staff, No benefits
Its Not Well Organized
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GADecember 31, 2016
Brighstar can be a better company if communication improves between field staff and office staff. The staff can be difficult at times when you have to obtain information from them on your behalf. They're nice to you when they need something and have a change in mood when you require something of them.
Pros
Frequent Assignments
Cons
Poor Communication, Wages change to frequent, Office Staff -Only Nice If they need someting
Fun
Home Health Aide (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INDecember 14, 2016
The work could be busy depending on your schedule. I have learned how to use many different types of equipment. The management team is amazing and tends to all the workers and clients needs. I do not get to see or come cross co-workers because we are all in the field. The hardest part of the job is traveling to different areas that are not familiar. I love my job and the most enjoyable part is seeing the clients become comfortable and get better.
Pros
benefits and pay is good
Cons
communication could be off sometimes
A day in home life care assistance
Personal Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARFebruary 15, 2017
My typical day consisted of reviewing my day schedule to determine what I needed to have with me that day. I would arrive at a patients home, greet them, just look around to see if anything was a hazard to the patient. I then performed the personal care task according to the patient care plan and document how each task was completed. Then I performed the housekeeping task that needed to be done according to the patient care plan and documented that each was completed. Once my allotted time was done with the patient I had them sign the appropriate documents and went to my next patient. I have been in the medical field for over twenty years and have worked in a variety of settings.
Pros
Self time, patient numbers, and mileage management
Cons
cost of fuel and low pay
It's what you make of it.
Home Health Aide (HHA) (Current Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIDecember 7, 2016
The best part of the job is meeting new clients and making a difference in their life. The pay is not good and at times you may feel like a maid. My clients and I have a great report with one another where they have told me I am a family member. Management and the scheduler are awesome and accommodating.
Pros
great hours, building relationships with people and being able to transfer to another location within the company
Cons
no benefits, low wages
Don't bother working here
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse), Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Broomfield, COJanuary 11, 2017
Owner has no medical experience, background is sales and it shows. Poor support from office staff unless they are short staffed and then they harass you and guilt you into picking up shifts (even asking nurses to do caregiving). No benefits, no mileage reimbursement and below average salary.
Pros
Flexible schedule, clients are great.
Cons
Low pay, no benefits, no support!
wonderful daily basis with bright star
Certified Nurse Aide (Former Employee) –  Broomfield, CODecember 15, 2016
Before you even headout the door check your schedule of who will you be taking care of like their care plans, location, name, and any other instructions.Also as soon as you enter their home be sure to call in from land phone cellphones will notwork if they do not have a cellphone call the number to tell them they dont have a landphone. I have learned always take notes of what ever you do in order cover your self no matter what it is. only time i see my coworkers is when we are caring for someone who requires 24 hour care which they seem nice, friendly, sense of humor, and etc.

the hardest part of the job is how far can the person home can be from where you live.

the most enjoyable part is being able to connect with the person on the one on one basis.
Working with people is my favorite thing.
PERSONAL CARE AIDE (Former Employee) –  Erie, PANovember 30, 2016
Working in home health care can be challenging, but very rewarding. I loved all my clients. A typical day with my clients consist of getting them up, dressed, showered if needed, breakfast, medicine reminders, activities, wash their laundry, clean the house, and prep any other meals I was there for. I loved working with them. Some a little hard to work with because of their mental state, but still very rewarding. I loved them all.
Would NOT Recommend
Server (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 29, 2016
While the office staff and management do well in their roles and are easy to work with, the field staff is uneducated, unprofessional and unmotivated to work. Putting out fires and handling upset clients will be part of your every day here. Beware of the overbearing company owner whose involvement is sporadic yet demanding. Never forget she has the final word, despite management's thoughts to the contrary. The income is average and the benefits are very expensive. Your opportunity for advancement is low but you will wear many hats for your 1 paycheck.
Pros
Inclusion and involvement in small decisions that affect your role
Cons
This is will always be a job - never a career
Exellent
Home Health Aide (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLDecember 20, 2016
• Organizes medications for pharmacist to dispense, preparing labels, and calculating quantities
• Assist pharmacist with faxed prescriptions, inventory, ordering, re-stocking, data entry
• Performed trouble shooting for client with insurance issues to resolve problem
• Managed cashiering activity in areas of purchasing and enforced store policies
• Responded to customer inquiries when needed
bad company or bad people?
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 26, 2016
This is one for those places that the company over all might be ok about you might never know it because some of the upper management are just so corrupt. For a health company they suck with dealing with people when there own people get sick or have disabilities. Things get ugly quick. I developed a disability when I was working for them and I had to go to the EEOC just to make them let me work. Once I went to the EEOC they started to spread rumors about me and the care I gave.
Pros
Free gift cards for picking up extra shifts
Cons
Corrupt Management
Home Health
Certified Nurse Assistant (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARDecember 28, 2016
Basically work out in the field.
Helping and assisting patients with any need that is requested.
I enjoy my work. The census has drastically changed over the past year. I would like a new job where I can possibly combine my patient care with my Administrative Assistant work.
Our Health care system is changing since Obama Care was implemented in 2010.
Pros
Good People
Cons
Not enough hours
Average company! Ive worked for better & worse.
HHA (Former Employee) –  300 Mt. Lebanon Blvd. Pittsburgh, Pa 15235January 8, 2017
Company seems to care for clients& employees. On hand training & literature. Continued education thru out the year. No benefits but hourly compensation is worth it. Schedule stays the same. Lots of overtime available. Don't keep a schedule for more than 40 hours a week tho because they will cut your hourly pay. You can not make more than $10/hour with this company.
Not worth it.
CNA/HHA (Former Employee) –  Broomfield, CONovember 13, 2016
This company is no worth all the time and hassle they put you through.They have very low pay and promise a raise if you are super perfect which is impossible, and they look for any tiny mistake you've made to not give you a raise. They promise a 90 day review and you never get it. Some of the clients that I have worked with have negative complaints about the company as well. They use CNAs to cover LPN shifts. I wouldn't recommend this company to family or friends for care or for work.
Pros
Clients
Cons
No benefits, low pay
Needs work
Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  Gastonia, NCJanuary 16, 2017
This company could seriously use some work. The job itself was not bad, however the management was not the best, and did not have their employees best interests. Also had many complaints in ways the office had treated some of the clients as well. Also, for the amount of work being done at some places, I believe the employees deserve a bit more compensation than they get.
Its an okay place.
STNA (Current Employee) –  Centerville, OHNovember 3, 2016
After almost two years it was a constant fight with management. No communication at all. Clients were lied too about their care. I was wrote up for working to many unapproved hours. Ridiculous.. overall the company only seems to care about money. They claim to want too be the best place too work for. However with no benefits or room for advancement that seems slim.
Pros
1 on 1 care with clients
Cons
Management, communication, pay rate.
Productive work place
Assembly tester (Former Employee) –  Libertyville, ILJanuary 25, 2017
I learned how to scan serial numbers and put phone information into the computer, their management wasn't so great, they had unfair lead workers in the departments. They would get innocent workers in trouble just because they disliked them. Most enjoyable part of my job was getting to know new people and creating friendships.

Comment – January 30, 2017

Good morning,

After reading your review, I feel you may have left this review for the wrong company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BrightStar Care. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9