BrightStar Care Employee Reviews in United States

enjoyed the one on one care
CNA (Former Employee) –  Crystal Lake, ILJanuary 5, 2016
There was not a typical day as each client had different needs. I learned that each person is valuable in their own sense. The management did not communicate very well. Very rarely did I work with others as this was individualized home care. The hardest part of the job was getting attached to the client and when they pass away you were scheduled for another client and was not able to attend the funerals to say your farewells. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to interact with the clients and getting to know them.
Pros
one on one care
Cons
no benefits
Poor communication
I assist young children (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIFebruary 5, 2016
The management is unprofessional, and makes up false information. You almost never get praised for your hard work and dedication.
Steady but very little room for growth or advancement
Medical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Tinley Park, ILDecember 7, 2015
Completeing tasks went smoothly on a day to day basis, however there is very little knowlegde that I've gained at the company. All co-workers have professional for the most part and the management has done a good job handling things. The hardest part of the job is that there is no room for growth within this company, usually where you start is where you will end and there are no healthcare benefits. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to know the different clients and gaining their trust.
Nice small business-no future opportunities
Director of Sales (Current Employee) –  Centerville, OHMarch 3, 2016
This is a great little franchise, although the owner is very cheap and lies to get his way in many matters. Upward mobility is not offered here.
Pros
Cons
pay, benefits
Good Company
Director of Nursing (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 1, 2016
Very flexible, Great people. Very caring and want to progress. Owners are great people. Poor compensation, but they are very small.
Pros
Meeting a variety of people, clients and referral contacts
Cons
Poor compensation and culture inner office
No benefit besides a competitive hourly wage
LPN Field Nurse (Current Employee) –  Mt. Lebanon, PAMay 13, 2016
There is a vastly poor communication with management and office staff to field staff. There is NO Heath insurance, but a measly "preventative and wellness" option (which covers a total of 19 items immunizations, urinalysis is about the extent) to avoid a tax penalty. NO PTO, NO VACATION TIME, NO BREAKS, NO SICK TIME, NO MILEAGE, NO 401k, NO FUTURISTIC OPPURTUNITIES. They make on average $250,000 /week from their clients and offer no benefits to field staff. If you continually work OT they will reduce your wage to save money if you choose to continue working OT. AS A NURSE WORKING IN HEALTHCARE I DONT EVEN RECIEVE HEALTHCARE!!!! Weekly pay is about one of the only pluses and THATS IF they process your pay correctly (approx 80% accuracy). Management is rude and money grubbing and could care less if you stay with the company or not.
Pros
Weekly Pay, Client relationships
Cons
No vacation, No PTO, No sick time, No healthcare, poor communication
Dishonest and mismanaged
CNA/Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Cumming, GAMay 19, 2016
I worked for BrightStar in cumming Georgia. Not only is this company mismanaged but they only care about the money. They don't care about their employees but most of all they don't care about their clients. Once I left this company 2 of my previous clients also left due to being lied to and not being given the attention needed. They were constantly told staff was 'sick' when in reality they didn't have anyone to cover them. Employees were told one thing and clients were told a different thing. Too inconsistent. One of my clients wanted to pay more so I could be paid more but were denied of that by management.
Pros
Nothing!
Cons
Everything!!
Great experienced!
Field RN (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 1, 2016
I absolutely loved working at BrightStar in Tampa, Fl. There has been quite a change in the office staff and owners since my employment there, but my experience was strictly positive. My work and my skills were appreciated, and I felt valued as an employee. My employers were very nice and personable, and the office staff was friendly, professional, and supportive. On a regular day I would see clients that needed admissions assessments, IV therapy, wound treatments, etc. I was able to make my own schedule and accept and decline cases at my convenience. I loved working at BrightStar and now know that home health is the field of nursing in which I desire to work.
Pros
Make your own schedule, great office staff
Cons
none during my experience.
Nurse (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 7, 2016
Worked in San Antonio. These are all franchise and this one is a mess!!!! the DON does nothing but sit in the office, they are unorganized, all on paper- no electronic charting, scheduling is a mess- never complete, patients out number the nurses so you are getting called at last minute to go do admissions or wound care, Patients are all over the place, if you are full time you can not refuse to go somewhere- so if its an hour away oh well you go! No mileage compensation, minimal to no training.
Pros
good/decent pay
Cons
too many patient, short staffed, high turn over, paper charting, lazy administration(DON)
I enjoyed working with the clients I was assighned to, however, I had to resign for scheduling discrepencies for externship.
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Schererville, INMay 19, 2016
Learned to treat each client accordingly to specific need. My co-workers were always respectful, and kind to me. The hardest part of job was when I was given clients that were rarely non-weight bearing and had to deal with the pain in my back thereafter. The most enjoyable part of my job was knowing that I could make some one feel special and cared for.
Pros
Mileage reinbursement, Christmas bonuses
Cons
No Health, or dental benifits, Scheduling discrepencies.
Not a place for people of color
cna nursing assistant (Former Employee) –  Baraboo, WIDecember 8, 2015
Was told to stand out side in the cold as client smoke in the home was a housekeeper did not use any cna skilles.Hours were the worst every work in 20 years hated it.
Pros
Cons
Bad job culture, bad management
Schedule Flexibily
Floor Nurse, LPN (Former Employee) –  Orland Park, ILFebruary 29, 2016
Home health gave me the opportunity to work with a variety of patients.The patients range from infants to geriatric and present with a multitude of medical problems.The best part of my job was taking care of the toddlers and younger children.
Pros
Creating my own work schedule
Cons
Lack of communication between management and employees
terrible owners; unethical business practices
Caregiver/Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 16, 2016
terrible training, unqualified employees, no communication, low pay, no benefits, no accountability or procedures, unethical decisions made with money in mind when care should be the number 1 priority.
productive and fun
CNA (Current Employee) –  Stamford, CTDecember 17, 2015
good place to work kind staff ... they strive to meet clients and caregivers needs competitive salary for agency work i would recommend my friends to apply there
Nice Side Job
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 13, 2015
On a typical day I work with a client and assist with ADLs and serve as companion to these individuals. Management could do better by not calling at last minute but its understandable since its temp. work. My co-workers come from all areas of US here to Houston and its good to meet new people, but for the most part you are working alone with client. The hardest part is getting through a day where it isn't much to do in a 12 hour shift.
Pros
Work with many different clients according to the schedule you want, no hovering boss, lunch not taken out
Cons
No coworkers on most cases
poor
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Libertyville, ILJanuary 26, 2016
A very poorly operated company that did not satisfy what I wanted. A typical day was very boring. The hardest part of the job was being told by management to do something one way then later that same day or the next, being told by other management to do the exact opposite. I never found anything enjoyable about the company. If I could give an overall rating of no stars instead of one or negative stars I would.
Pros
Cons
too many to list
I enjoyed home healthcare and the flexable scedule.
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILApril 4, 2016
It was a great place to work and learn in different settings. They allow a flexible schedule, this made is easy to balance my home life a well as work life.
fantastic place to work
NURSING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Maple Grove, MNMarch 17, 2016
working with resident management is fantastic always willing to talk to. always on the phone if needed help. co-workers always willing to help. hardest part about the job. having to move to a new client. getting to know the client.
Pros
the residents
Cons
losing the patience
CNA at Brightstar
Certified Nurse Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bonita Springs, FloridaOctober 15, 2015
good company, limited hours, few benefits, good owner and staff, management is on top of most things, got a review but no raise
Home Care is where it's at!!
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Appleton, WIMarch 26, 2016
Home Care is 1:1 where you spend a great deal of time with client and at times their family, it's very personalized.

It's rewarding assisting clients that really appreciate the help they receive and it helps to get to know the like and dislikes to cater to their desires for care.

The client and Caregiver really get to know one another, the client or the caregiver decide if they are a good match based on personality and experiences and always have a choice if they are compatible with each other, generally the Company Matches you well.

The downside to Home Health Care is the unpredictability in hours, especially if the clients condition changes like they have a fall, get hospitalized, don't need respite care, condition improves or they pass away then you may go from 40 hours down to 0. They do try to find you hours but none may be available on the shift your on. As a parent this can be difficult being flexible with childcare arrangements.
Pros
1:1 caregiving
Cons
Potential for loss of hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BrightStar Care. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9