Bristal Assisted Living Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
productive, stressful, fun
Resident care Assistant/Meidcation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lynbrook, NYMay 11, 2017
Working at the Bristal is very productive. This is a place where you have to have a lot of patients, an open mind and a big heart.. There is a diverse group of individuals with different personalities, backgrounds and religious beliefs. There's fun activities on a weekly basis like balloon valley ball or when someone comes to entertain. in my opinion management is not the best when it comes to resolving the employee's issues.The culture is also very diverse. There is someone from almost every background. The hardest part of this job is knowing when to be the bigger person in certain situations, knowing when to say it's not their fault and biting your tongue. The most enjoyable part of this job is knowing you make a difference in someones life, being there when no one else is, the appreciation from the residents when you've helped them in one way or another.
Pros
free lunch, staff appreciation month, bonuses throughout the year
Cons
short breaks, healthcare, 401k matching, no room to grow
Great Place to work
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  New Hyde Park, NYMay 5, 2017
Fantastic place to work. I learned to work with people from all backgrounds. The management is good since everyone works together and you can always speak up so your voice is heard.
Excelente
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYMarch 17, 2017
Exelente empresa para trabajar, buen trato y condición
Pros
Seguro médico, bueno beneficios
Cons
Solo 1/2 de descanso
Fun working place, comfortable,
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  North Hills, NYJanuary 16, 2017
I loved working at the bristal. The environment was very clean and welcoming. The residents made working here a lot of fun and interesting. Work hours were flexible and the staff was understanding.
Pros
Free lunch, employee appreciation barbecues
Cons
Health coverage
Fun workplace
Recreation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Massapequa, NYNovember 3, 2016
there is never a typical day at work here. Each day is different since I am constantly doing different activities with the residents and accommodating to each individuals needs. My job is very rewarding because I see the impact my positive energy has on the residents every day. I work with great people and everyone puts the needs of the residents first. I have learned a lot about working under pressure and how to adjust based on the environment I am placed in.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
healthcare
Fun Place,caring and great people
Med Tech (Current Employee) –  Sayville, NYOctober 27, 2016
I have learned that caring for the elderly in an assisted living is the ultimate reward.To see your hard work is doing some good for their needs.great people my co workers, wonderful boss, andjust a loving caring atmospere.
Pros
free Lunch, acknowledgement for hard work is shown.
Cons
salary is a low scale
Productive ,caring nursing family at The Bristal.
Nursing Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Sayville, NYOctober 21, 2016
A typical day at the Bristal ,i hit the floor running making rounds and ensuring safety to my staff and residents. Teamwork is a big part of my management. I have a team of highly trained and compassionate staff that i consider my second family.
You either love it or you don't
Waitstaff (Former Employee) –  Massapequa, NYSeptember 14, 2016
Working at the Bristal had its pros and cons. Residents could be very sweet and other times downright verbally abusive. there wasn't much that management could do about that considering we were working with people who often had severe dementia and these things couldn't be controlled. There were not many opportunities for advancement and there was close to 0 communication between departments. Some employees were able to get away with anything and others would be reprimanded for just about anything. The managers were hit and miss. Some of them were very gracious and would do anything in their power to be of assistance to you regarding work and personal issues, where a select few wouldn't even hear you out.
Most of my coworkers had been very pleasant and we formed close friendships and had each other's backs. That being said there were coworkers that had bad attitudes and made the work day very tense and awkward. A lot of favoritism was showed with specific employees who seemed to exclusively get assigned lesser workloads while others were assigned predominantly what we would call the "oh please no" sections. The hardest part of the job was that it could get very redundant and exhausting dealing with residents who had anger issues and could be overly demanding. There were also certain residents that routinely made enormous messes that were time-consuming to clean up. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to scrounge up a smile out of even the most miserable of the residents. As you can imagine, it was very difficult for some of them to live in a place where they don't
  more... have much control over themselves and to be out of touch with reality for the most part. Sometimes you get to see who they really are underneath all of the anguish and the outbursts. That's what made it worth it.  less
Pros
Free meals, decent breaks
Cons
management, job security
Loyal employees to the residents
RSD (Current Employee) –  Westbury, NYApril 27, 2016
The administration did not come out of the office and had no interaction with the residents. The residents had no recreation other then going to restaurants.
Pros
Bonuses for front line staff
Cons
no communication
productive place to work
waitress/supervisor (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYApril 14, 2016
Requires all employees to act in a mature and professional manner and to always have service with a smile. All the employees are very warm and welcoming and the company has employee appreciation several times a week to make the place seem like a productive and enjoyable place to work. A typical day at work would include serving and making sure the residents get 100% customer service, and prepping for meals. The hardest part of the job would be when people are shortstaffed and we have to hustle to finish everything.
Pros
medical benefits
Cons
short breaks, little pay
Professional and fun place to work
Reception/Concierge (Current Employee) –  Lake Grove, NYApril 12, 2016
The Bristal Assisted Living offers the ultimate in senior living. It is a great place to work, a professional, well-known name, and a fun place too. A typical work day: answer incoming calls, directing the caller to the appropriate person or taking accurate messages while being courteous. Greeting all visitors as they enter the facility, responding to resident, guest and staff inquiries in a polite and timely fashion. Ensure all emergencies are handled promptly and appropriately. Keep front desk sign in sign out logs accurate, basic computer entry as needed.
Pros
Free lunch or dinner depending on your shift
Cons
Short breaks
A day at The Bristal
Medication Technician/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Westbury, NYMarch 26, 2016
I really enjoy working at The Bristal. Everyday that I work I look forward to seeing my residents . They make my day. I could wake up with an attitude and once I get to work and I see them , I'm all smiles.
Rewarding place to work
Home Health Aide (Current Employee) –  Massapequa, NYOctober 22, 2015
I am a lovable person that enjoy helping other, I help the elderly and I feel that my job is rewarding. I have a good relationship with my coworkers and boss.
Great settings Great people Positive environment
Server (Former Employee) –  Westbury, NYOctober 22, 2015
Setting up the dining room for breakfast, lunch and dinner. making sure the elderly are comfortable and being served what ever it is they may desire. Helping them decided on what they may want to eat and what they may want to drink.
Pros
free lunch and break or dinner
Cons
no health care
Great Growing Company
Recreation Assistant (Current Employee) –  East Meadow, NYOctober 3, 2015
Great company! Great staff appreciation week fun. Quarterly bonuses, and growing company. Free lunch and help with transportation too.
Pros
Bonus, staff appreciation
fast pace job with sun downing residents
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  East Meadow, NYMarch 27, 2015
My day starts out giving medication and making sure that medication is here for them from pharmacy .The most importent thing I have learned that every person with dementia disease, is that each person has a different progression of the disease. Some might be quiet and others aggressive. My co workers work as a team , but at all jobs some are lazy.The hardest part is redirecting the aggesive male when the male care assistance are off that day. Most enjoyable thing about my job is the residents. I love to listen to them tell about their lives and jobs and to know I make a difference in their lives.
Pros
free dinner
Cons
not enough pay
Extremely satisfying place to work but I am looking for more of a challenge
Dining Room Manager (Current Employee) –  Lynbrook, NYJuly 20, 2014
I learned one very important quality which was how to change a culture of I before team and I feel like it made me a much more rounded manager for working here and can't wait to start the next chapter of my career.
is just a job
Porter (Former Employee) –  East Meadow, NYMay 19, 2013
My overall experience of Bristal I say is a bad one. low pay no room to grow plus one big building for one person to clean. there was more then200 residents plus staff in the building. It was a very hard job
Pros
free lunch
Cons
very low pay