BRISTOL COMMUNITY COLLEGE Employee Reviews

HR and Management = horrible
former employee (Former Employee) –  Fall River, MASeptember 30, 2013
The atmosphere and people that work there are nice. The Human Resource Dept and management are absolutely horrible. The union is an absolute joke. The Director of the department and person above him are really nice and great to work for but they don't get to call the shots. Throughout the college people are in charge of departments that they have no qualifications for. Nobody in charge seems to be on the same page. If someone in charge likes you, you will go far. There are just too many chiefs and not enough indians. A lot of cliques. It's a shame because it could be such a great place to work. Overall pay isn't bad but the limited amount of companies you can choose for medical benefits is horrible and expensive.
Pros
People are friendly and make the day fly by.
Cons
HR, management, cliques
Productive workplace as a tutor at BCC
Tutor in Mathematics (Former Employee) –  Fall River, MAMay 14, 2016
In quite rooms we engaged students that have some troubles in the field of mathematics as well as other subjects, including the social sciences and humanities. The aim was to rectify any problems that students face in their field, and to add extra knowledge for students who intend to expand their thoughts as well.
Pros
expands teaching experience
Cons
Time consuming
Busy and fun place to work at
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fall River, MAApril 15, 2016
At Gatehouse Media, our job was to prepare the local newspaper for their weekly distribution.
The co-workers were always pleasantly nice to work with and regardless the age differences we all did our part and completed our demanded task.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
closed department
Work
Switchboard Operator (Current Employee) –  Fall River, MAApril 4, 2016
A typical day at work consist of answering a multi line phone system, assisting students with questions, help cover breaks for campus police dispatch, and light secretary work.
I really enjoyed my work here as well.
CLERICAL AIDE (Former Employee) –  Fall River, MassachusettsMarch 22, 2013
I would go to school and attend my classes then I would proceed to go to the counseling office to organize student files or assign advisors for all the student body.
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
had to leave to receive benefits at massachusetts rehabilitation comission.
Productive and hard working faculty
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Fall River, MAJanuary 16, 2016
This is a very caring institution. Everyone is dedicated to helping all students succeed.
Students at the community college have some unique issues to overcome. The school enable success as much as possible.
power struggles exist.
anonymous (Former Employee) –  Fall River, MAApril 30, 2015
There were too many chiefs in one office. Very low moral due to discrimination that I experienced on campus. I wanted a change to occur that would help people feel that someone was listening, so I decided to work for them to see how deeply rooted the racism was within their walls. I then brought information related to my very own experience to the human resource department and the support I received with known data was none. Many complaints by African American students and staff came my way of the discrimination that existed within the classroom and different offices. When I brought this to the attention of the people who have had experience with past occurances of whistleblowers, I was warned that if the word discrimination was heard of by others on the faculty I would be removed immediately. Many people who work there are related to one another and that is what will keep generations of racism strong within their walls. Thats what they mean when they say its one big happy family. It is what it is.
Pros
meet new people everyday.
Cons
short breaks, no healthcare, no promotions. everyone is related.
Great Learning Experience for College Students
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Fall River, MAAugust 19, 2014
While taking courses at Bristol Community College we were able to sign up for special functions that were held. Within these functions we learned a lot about our careers in the food industry. We learned about working the front of the house jobs and the back of the house. We got a real taste of what life would be like in those areas after school was over. It was accommodated in pay and free food. The hardest part was that a lot of the functions were on weekends where most of us had to work other jobs or they were after long school days.
Pros
good learning experience, hard work
Cons
long days. not much of break
Fun place to work.
Technical Assistant III/ATD (Current Employee) –  Fall River, MAAugust 2, 2015
Neat place to work. The processes may be the same, but it is usually on different projects. Sometimes it can get frustrating when the director changes his mind, but that is part of the challenge.
Pros
Great boss
Cons
Only a part time job.
fun exciting learning experance. Enjoyabel!
work study (Former Employee) –  Attleboro, MASeptember 11, 2013
I enjoy working in the office at the school, I filed. answered phone and directed the to another line, I printed out map quest directions for the school director. I learned how to use map quest. I liked that I didn't have any taxes taking out of my check. I really enjoyed the poster boards for advertising up coming events. even though I cant draw they still let me anyways. what I dint like way banging erasers before classes I got chock dust allover me. The hardest part of the job was quitting.
Pros
covenance i worked at the same school where i attened college.
Cons
That i had to quit.
Tough to be an Adjunct Instructor
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Fall River, MAApril 1, 2015
The majority of students do their work and completed assignments that lead to passing grades.

Some students, maybe one or two in a class, want special permission or want to have an exception to the class structure or
grading to improve their scores. If they are not satisfied, they find ways to defame without cause.

Many students have issues and in order to improve their performance, behavior has to be taken into consideration. Tutoring one on one or group sessions help to define the knowledge and skills necessary to preform well on test or to complete a project. Some students do well, while others figure out to directly or indirectly improve their grades.

It is when a student uses indirect methods to improve their grades that puts an instructor in harms way. Many instructors adjust to comply with student wishes, some are informed they will not be considered for rehire. Adjuncts are on contract or work as contractors, the college does not have to hire you.

Many in Administration would probably agree, the student is paying the bills and that is the way things should be run? Except, when in the end, the student suffers from a false sense of accomplishment or does poorly in professional school to become a nurse or technician.

But by then, it is on the student, they got what they wanted from the college, the responsibility is on the student after they leave.

So I would evaluate this college as trying to do the best thing for its interest.
Pros
great student body, facilities, union and good payment of contract
Cons
politics and poor advancement of adjuncts, union needs help
its a nice place to work
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Fall River, MANovember 21, 2013
A typical day you meet with students and help them better understand the class material. It greatly improves your people skills. The management is very helpful as are you co-workers. The hardest part if the job is getting over whatever personal hertals stand in the way of the student.
Pros
helping people
Cons
work only on an as needed baceis
Productive and fun workplace to work for.
Technical Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Fall River, MASeptember 12, 2014
I had a lot of exchange server support and trouble shooting, installed hardware and software, either remotely or on-site. Evaluated product's' performance to ensure that the design meets required specifications. Performed product software operational check and set up and fixed network printers, copiers. I also created and deployed Symantec Ghost.
It was great I loved it my boss was amazing. It was great pay for someone right out of high school.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fall River, MAJune 24, 2014
sales associate
Office Clerical (Former Employee) –  Fall River, MAMarch 12, 2014
Work study program. Provided support to the Dean of Mathematics. Provided Microsoft office support, copy and filing support, answered phone and forwarded calls as applicable
Pros
good team
Cons
there are no cons
I enjoy the people i work with
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fall River, MAJune 24, 2013
I work part time a typical day is very quite cause its the summer time and its an on campuse job, Ive learned how to use there computer systems and alot about what the co-op department is for.
voluntary
Student embassador (Former Employee) –  Fall River, MAOctober 10, 2014
voluntary work
orientating and incentivizing new students
Pros
during college hours helping
Cons
making sure students had all the help to enrol and stay in college
excellent higher ed 2 yr public
Director of Administrative Computing (Former Employee) –  Fall River, MAJune 9, 2014
great place to work
dedicated staff
significant changes in a brief period of time
Fitness Asst,
Lead Evening Fitness Training Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fall River, Ma. 02720May 21, 2013
Training members...running exercise classes etc. Good verbal skills and able to interact with members.
Great Place to Work
Solidworks Student (Former Employee) –  Fall River, MAJune 1, 2014
Audited class at Bristol Community College. Laid back and enjoyable. Learned the most out of the class.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BRISTOL COMMUNITY COLLEGE. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2