Bristol Hospital Employee Reviews in United States

Good place to get your feet wet, but NOTHING else
Food and Nutrition Employee (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTNovember 19, 2015
Since I first started here, the department has been undergoing constant non-stop restructuring. I never have the same job duties week to week. Despite this I have never seen a pay increase. My skills are undermined by the management's poor organizational skills and poor department structure. I do love my coworkers though - you know what they say, those that suffer together stay together... Although I had to leave. Hardest part of the job is that the job is always changing. There is no notice. I can have a weekend off and come back to work only to find out my hours have changed without notice and I am actually late for my shift... VERY poor departmental organization. I can't stress that enough. I recommend this organization only if you are in dire need of income and continue your job search in the mean time. 13 employees left my department within 6 months time.

There is very little respect for others across departments. Everyone is overworked and every department is understaffed. Very difficult to please patients in an environment like this. All management cares about is scores, scores, scores. They pretend to be interested in your input but you will quickly learn to not speak up--you will be shot down before you can finish your sentence.
Pros
going home
Cons
short breaks, management, understaffed, overworked, no stable departmental structure
Its a paycheck, the people are really nice
Centralized Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Bristol, CTJuly 22, 2015
Coworkers are absolutely awesome. Benefits are horrible and extremely expensive. I learned endurance and patience at this job. With the exception of my coworkers my experience here has been mediocre.
Fulfilling work environment
Medical Administrative Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTJune 11, 2015
Help out where ever there was a need. Great attitudes, management was pleasant, job was very enjoyable. Had lots of fun learning about the different departments and helping update policies and procedures for each department within the hospital.
Pros
Fulfilling job, great for people who love to help others.
Cons
not applicable
Tough environment for new techs
CLS (Former Employee) –  Bristol,CTApril 2, 2015
The clinical laboratory is a tough place to work . Lots of good people but very burned out.due to workload and understaffing. That makes it a challenge to train new techs. Some very good, well organized department managers. There is the occasional ones that are not very professional and effect the overall culture of the department.

If you are just out of school don't go here. .,A seasoned tech may do well. Not flexible with days or time. Over all hospital message is good but has not being put in to practice.(In the Lab) They need more flexibility (part-time) positions and better training supervision.
Pros
Nice community hospital
Cons
Use national data and not local data to determine pay makes it low
Always moving forward
Food Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bristol, CTAugust 11, 2015
Our goal in the kitchen is to serve patients effectively. We are always brainstorming ways to come up with new menu choices, ideas on how to make the food served to the patient as soon as possible, also, we really make an effort to deliver food as hot as possible so the patient is satisfied. It is my job to make sure the food gets on the plate and up to the floor in a timely manner. I also get to interact with patients which I enjoy.
Competitive yet we worked as a team.
Patient Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTJune 24, 2015
The most enjoyable part of my job was to make people feel at ease after staying with us in the hospital. I always tried to picture myself in thier shoes and how I'd like to be treated and that is where I set my standards and my work ethic. I believe picturing either me or one of my own family members in my patients position would make me a better CNA rather than a person who is there only to achieve a paycheck and not self worth.
Pros
Differentials in pay for the later shifts
Cons
the breaks weren't long enough
great place to work
Billing Specialist and Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTSeptember 2, 2015
They gave me the opportunity to spread my wings and learn Medical coding. A fun and very diverse place to work. They encourage you to do better and attain your goals.
magnet hospital
RN (Current Employee) –  Bristol, CTSeptember 8, 2015
this is a small community hospital every body knows each other which is a good thing but also has its down side its a very friendly group with excellent patient care
Excellent place to work
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Bristol, CTApril 21, 2015
I don't know what the other nurse is talking about, but this is a great place to work. We are involved in decision making in the hospital, the managers work with us and value our input. The hospital leadership is excellent and visible all the time. The nurses and staff worked well together. We deliver excellent patient care and our patients send in good reviews about their experience here. I have been on a nursing retreat where we established our strategic plan. I have a very generous education reimbursement which I used for some of my education and have recently gotten certified after a medical surgical certification course was sponsored by the hospital. The nursing leadership wants you to succeed and helps you to do what is right all the time.
Pros
Co-workers, active involvement in the nursing department, doctors actually respect us.
Cons
Sometimes overstretched staffing, but not the norm. Financially, the state is a problem, but our managers support us.
Only a job to pay the bills
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Bristol, ctAugust 19, 2014
I have to TOTALLY AGREE with those who feel that this is a less than deseriable place to work. I have been here as an RN for many, many years and only because it works best for my family. There is little to no support from management and god forbid you have an issue that needs assistance from HR... Well that won't happen because HR is not there for their employees and there is honestly a huge disconnect with HR and the rest if the working world at BH.
There is no teamwork and expect to be belittled as you work from time to time by management. Taking a break is not a common practice, and honestly staffing is cut so short nobody has time to take breaks. There is constant pressure from supervisors and management to "do better" but little praise or compensation for the staff. Of course a former medical director would think this is a lovely place to work, well I'm sure he was well compensated and he didn't deal with all the issues that the staff deals with who actually place there hands on patients. I feel that upper management have closed their eyes to all issues that are truly important to the rest of the working world just to raise their press Gainey scores.
All in all, this hospital is not about taking care of patients, it is about checking boxes, raising press Gainey scores and keeping your mouth shut because honestly nobody cares. As soon as I can I will be looking for a new position and mine will be filled with just another warm body. The grass is not always greener in the other side, we all know this, but this hospital MUST start making their employees a priority.
Good place to work but not the greatest management
Administrative Support Associate (Current Employee) –  Bristol,ctAugust 19, 2014
The people that work here are great and it feels like a family but a lot of the management has no grasp on what the average worker does workwise, They have also cut back a lot of bennifits in the last few years making this a less than desireable place to work. They dont do anything to try and boost morale. This place is a good stepping stone on the way to finding a better job. But I wouldnt stay here forever
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
bennifits keep getting cut back year after year, management is horrible and has no clue how to actually manage
ok
Food Service Aide (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTJune 25, 2015
Not as drama free as I was hoping it would be. Otherwise, a decent company. But, I guess that is a common problem in any workplace.
compassionate, motivated, reliable,
RN LDRP (Current Employee) –  brewster rd, bristolDecember 22, 2012
- Currently started working as a case manager for home care
planning and implementing individual care plans for my patient
- management skills, working under stressed diverse environment
-most enjoyable is to see progress in patient's physical and emotional well being and empowering them to be independent in their community

in maternity setting I enjoy being a part of the most wonderful family event (the birth of a new baby) and help to adjust the family to their new role, provide them with teaching, encouragement, and assistance in this exciting transition
Pros
flexibility
Cons
workload
Volunteer
Volunteer / Office Assistant - Filing (Current Employee) –  Bristol, CTApril 13, 2015
I really love volunteering. I am hoping to get a full time job there. The people are really nice there and I am getting a lot of experience volunteering. I used to be a volunteer when I was in 7th grade
Pros
Lunch is good
Nice community hospital
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Bristol, CTJuly 27, 2013
Nice community hospital. Struggling financially. Often understaffed. Case Manger workload varies from 15 patients to the entire hospital based on day of week worked and absenteeism. Staff is rather stressed and often is unable to complete daily tasks secondary to these problems. Management can be unhelpful at times.
Pros
family environment, nurse staff is top-notch.
Cons
management responsiveness, lack of follow through when employee suggestions made.
Excellent resident care
Chef Manager (Current Employee) –  Bristol, CTOctober 2, 2014
Great resident and rehabilitation customer service. Management is lacking equal opportunity.
Feeding the residents knowing that I put a lot of passion in my cooking and seeing the results from the residents.
Inservice and training
Certified phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  outpatientFebruary 23, 2015
Greeting and processing patients for phlebotomy on a daily basis. I
learned to pace myself and to provide the greatest experience in my
field. I perfected my skills and made everyone feel at ease during their visit so they would want to come back.
Best work place environment
Medical Director (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTFebruary 22, 2013
I was the Medical Director of the primary care outpatient center for ober 14 years. Bristol Hospital was like family to me and after nearly 22 years, my physician colleagues and I are still in close contact.
Excellent benefits and working environment,
excellent leadership. great team
Pros
excellent health care system
Management Support
Parent Educator (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTApril 29, 2014
I had a great experience working with the clients and co workers. Also my supervisor was a proffesional and great working with the workers and famalies. Great support and opportunites.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
na
Quick burnout
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Bristol, CTOctober 8, 2013
This Hospital is struggling financially and unfortunatley it affects the nursing staff the most. High nurse to patient ratios make for unsafe situations frequently. Meal breaks are automatically deducted from pay, yet are rarely taken. At time managers seem to make up the rules regarding staffing, vacation requests, and general departmental rules as they go. This is a great place to gain some experience as it is small yet very fast paced, just don't expect a team atmosphere; it is truly an individual proving ground. The most enjoyable part of the job is going home.
Pros
community atmosphere
Cons
no breaks, demanding workload, no teamwork