Bristol Regional Medical Center Employee Reviews

Enjoyed working here this was a challange
PCT/Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Bristol, TNFebruary 9, 2017
While working here everyday was a new experience and a challenged , but I learned something new everyday. I grew in knowledge in so many defiant aspects in the medical field
Very busy but builds skill quickly
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Bristol, TNFebruary 3, 2017
Can be very busy work but allows for building critical skills quickly. Amazing departmental education provided. Respiratory-driven protocols strengthen RTs to be self sufficient and create expertise.
Pros
Respiratory-driven protocols.
Cons
Scheduling was difficult for work/life balance due to tracks.
Very overworked staff
Oncology/Hospice/Medical/Surgical Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bristol, TNAugust 14, 2016
Huge disconnect between executives making decisions and the staff implementing them. Guidelines given to follow are unrealistic to the working staff. Patient to RN ratio to high.
Could be better
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Bristol, TNJuly 7, 2016
My coworkers are awesome, very helpful, we work as a team. Management is pretty good, at times though we don't have the supplies we need on hand, and we are short handed and understaffed, if someone calls in we have no on call coverage, except for weekends, there is no opportunity for advancement, there was a charge position for each shift which paid more on the hour but that was taken away. The pay is horrible starting out, its below the average of what we should be making especially for what we do and are exposed to. We draw blood on very sick patients, geriatric, newborns, kids, mama's, er patients, icu patients, we go all over the hospital and draw numerous different labs and levels and have to know the correct procedures for certain labs. It's much more than just drawing a tube of blood. It's been a learning experience which I've enjoyed.I've met a lot of new people and enjoy patient interactions.
Pros
Coworkers, Work Environment
Cons
Pay, Benefits, Understaffed
Enjoyed working for Wellmont
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Bristol, TN 37620March 10, 2016
The staff is great.The hours were good. Management was all ways nice and the facility was well maintained. Over all good place to work..
Caring and helpful coworkers
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bristol, TNOctober 9, 2015
Many areas are short staffed and it effects patient care. During busy times breaks and meals are optional. No raises for several years. Bonuses were offered but does not compensate for rising cost of living and pay staying the same. Bonuses might buy groceries for a week.Pay appears to be below national average. Insurance premiums go up every year and coverage declines. HSA helps but rarely covers doctor visits and prescriptions. If problems are mentioned to management,it can get worse. No one appears to know how the Wellmont/ MSHA merger will effect employees and we usually find out via watching local news stations.
Pros
Gym on site. Knowledgeable and caring staff members.
Cons
It's all about the budget. HR non supportive. Information not passed on to others.
co-workers are fun to work with/ team players
Medicare claims processor (Current Employee) –  Bristol, TNOctober 8, 2015
using epic software system, emdeon software, medicare online system (ebs) processing claims daily. Hardest part of the job was learning their software system epic. Most enjoyable working with others as a team. supportive management team.
Fun work environment
Patient Registration Rep (Current Employee) –  Bristol, TNSeptember 19, 2015
Daily life in the ER is quite hectic. I clock into work at 9am, we have a new set up in the ER for registration. We are all assigned certain rooms. Mine are 18-24 and 36-40. Yeah, its only 12 rooms, but they tend to fill up fast. Not only are we assigned certain rooms, but we also get the EMS pager 5 hours out of our work shift. With the pager comes the responsibility of checking in any ambulance or med flight getting them an armband, and getting the doctors and nurses stickers so they can chart on the patient. If we end up not having a lot of patients, we are suppose to work on the workqueues. Workqueues are where certain accounts go that insurance are filed wrong and we fix them. You do this all day for seven days straight, but then we also get seven days off.
Pros
meeting new people, healthy lunches, coworkers
Cons
short break, unorganized
Need more teamwork
CNA (Former Employee) –  Bristol, TNJune 7, 2015
Best part of the job is interacting with the patients sad part when they pass away. Some of the staff are great and some are worse than high schoolers with Drama and Gossip. Understaffed on CNA is very common then your given extra patients an it's unrealistic that you can properly care or tend to all there needs. Some not all but some RNs would not even take a cup of ice to a room for you when you trying to tend to three different people who have had an accident on there self. Need to be a team and help with basic patient needs. And the pay sucks especially for the work you do Wal-Mart is now paying more that's sad.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Understaffed on CNA
Busy, fast-paced hospital setting
Radiologic Technologist (Current Employee) –  Bristol, TNMay 29, 2015
I take pride in saying that I am a current employee at a well known Wellmont Health Systems hospital. I have gained a lot of experience with outpatients, inpatients and the emergency department. Being such a large hospital in a small rural area in Tennessee, the patient to tech ratio is always much higher than the thought amount. You learn to multi-task and work as a team as well as an individual when the time calls for it. After a 8,10,12 or 16 hour shift is over, I always leave with the feeling of accomplishment in known I did my part to provide compassionate care to all patients.
Cons
Management, opportunities for advancement are usually not in-house.
Phlebotomy
Phlebotomy (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTMay 11, 2015
I loved my job. Co-workers were good. The hardest part was the pay, we were the lowest paid in the hospital.The hours were 5:30 a.M. To 2:00 p.M. That was difficult with small children at home. Management was ok. I didn't learn aot, I was doing the training for the new hires.
Pros
PATIENTS
Cons
POLITICS
good start for career
Certified Transporter (Current Employee) –  Bristol, TNMarch 25, 2015
Pay is not great for transporters. Its a back breaking job for the young and old. They should definitely be paid more for the things they have to put up. Management and nurses. Other than that, it is a great place to work. I love working with patients and making them smile when they are sick.
Cons
No breaks most of the time, just a 30 minute lunch.
sucks completely!
Environmental Services Technician (Current Employee) –  Bristol, TNAugust 10, 2014
I work in Environmental Services and it is terrible. All my co workers hate it and the only reason we are there is because of a paycheck. The supervisors are mean and expect too much out of you for the little bit of pay. If i was you try Holston Valley or MSHA.
Pros
paycheck every two weeks
Cons
everything else
Very fast paced environment.
Secretary/PCT (Current Employee) –  Bristol, TNAugust 8, 2014
A typical day of consists of answering all call lights for patients that are assigned to me, making sure bathroom needs are met, give baths to patients, ensure proper and prompt care to all my patients and their families. If it is a day of secretary then I answer all call lights, assign patients to nurses, answer all phone calls, page physicians, make all follow-up appts for patients being discharged, filing medical records into charts, etc. My co-workers are very helpful and great to work for. This is a friendly environment but faced paced which is for me. There really is no hard part to the job, I personally feel I have a big heart and everytime I encounter with a patient then I put myself in their shoes and hope that one day when I am sick then the CNA or receptionist will assist in my needs as I do my patients. I enjoy my job taking care of the patients and family members. I like the fast pace. I am a very energetic person and like to assist people.
Not bad..
Patient Care Technician (PCT) (Former Employee) –  Bristol, TNJuly 17, 2014
Not a bad place to work, hours suck, always short handed, but the employees aren't bad and the managers are awesome.
Great job Very low pay!
DEsk top services (Current Employee) –  Bristol TNJuly 15, 2014
I work at this position and it is a great place and rewarding job until you get your paycheck! No respect for the I.T feild here! They will pay nothing! You will starve and envy the workers at Taco Bell for the money they make there!
Friendly and personalized care
Patient Transporter (Former Employee) –  Bristol, TNJuly 10, 2014
Staff at BRMC are friendly and personable; they make an effort to get to know their patients and families. They are approachable with any questions and were instrumental in pushing me to further my education in healthcare.
Fast paced new construction.
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Bristol, TNMarch 15, 2014
Pulled wire, installed new equipment. Fast paced but electrical maintenance team worked well together and good working environment.
the girls I work with
Oncology Nurse (Current Employee) –  Bristol, TNJanuary 26, 2014
hardest part of the day was the death of a pt. my co workers are wonderful
Pros
co-workers
Cons
night shift
Taking care of the ones in need
Distribution Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bristol, TNNovember 25, 2013
I learned during the 6 years that I was with the hospital that giving your best in bad situations can be rewarding by helping out people in need when they think there is no hope.
A typical day on the job required me to have a good attitude and the willingness to go beyond my comfort zone. The first 4 years I was part of a team of housekeepers that took care of the hospital rooms, equipment. And the supplies. We also were responsible for cleaning the floors in the main section of the hospital.
My coworker were very good at their jobs. Many had been doing the same job even at the old hospital years before. Even when they were exhausted from the job or the change in heat or cold I could see them always smiling even when you knew they were sad.
The hardest part of the job was when the patients passed away and we were put in positions of helping heal the hurt of their friends and family.
My most enjoyable part of the job was when I knew that I loved being around people.
Pros
THE NUMBER ONE PRO WOULD BE CARING
Cons
MY NUMBER ONE CON WOULD BE WORKING WITH CHEMICALS IN HOUSEKEEPING, AND HAVING SIDE AFFECTS THAT ULTIMATELY CAUSED ME TO LOSE MY JOB.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bristol Regional Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8