British Embassy Employee Reviews in United States

Good learning experience and opportunity to do variety of work
Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 17, 2016
Overall good experience but when question about if i get overtime because similar positions I had were hourly plus overtime, my question was ignored and I worked a lot of hours without getting overtime
Pros
Great learning opportunities
Cons
Low pay, not paid overtime, and sometimes management does not respond to questions
Relaxed and collegiate
Budget Manager - In-Country Support (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 30, 2014
British Defence Staff (BDS) in the British Embassy in Washington DC consists of military and civilian personnel posted from the UK as well as Locally Engaged Civilians. Although an Embassy would be expected to be very formal, the working environment in BDS was relaxed with most people, including managers, on first name terms. The work was interesting and compensation adequate.
Great workplace
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bogotá, CUNJuly 17, 2015
People works very hard, but they do not pay enough. It is good employer and respect their policies such as Job work/life balance.
good benefits
electrician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 3, 2015
they treat employees eqully. they send employees for some trainings for position advancement. just like me , they sent asbestos containment training and personnel management progam.
Pros
good training programs
Cons
employment if limited when you reach age 65
Bridging countries
Marketing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 15, 2014
Determined to apply my passion for communication to a high impact environment, I joined UK Trade & Investment (UK Foreign Commonwealth Office) where I could contribute to build bridges between countries. As a Marketing Specialist, I advised companies on their foreign investment strategies, managed events and developed branding materials promoting the UK overseas. My flagship project in this role was the development of an internal communication project “event toolkit” which was then shared over the entire US network.

In addition I coordinated the Monocle - UK Trade & Investment collaboration: Spotlight on Boston documentary film raising international awareness for the Boston biotechnology cluster. This involved close coordination with partner companies and their c-level executives.
Pros
managing events with multinational companies
Amazing Work Experience
Business Partnerships Associate (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 8, 2012
At present, I work (part time) with the “Partnerships and Business Development” team at The British Council (Embassy of the UK) in Washington, D.C., where I focus on exploring ideas that have the potential of becoming business propositions, as well as assisting with event planning and market research. I also work on researching information and providing notes for senior management before meetings as well as ensuring appropriate and timely follow-up from the meetings. I am responsible for learning more on potential partners, government contracting opportunities and widening our network of US based contacts through outreach and communications. I would also like to highlight that through my research our business partnerships team succeeded in finding and procuring a grant of 100,000 British Pounds for a partnership project involving mobile communications and our software offerings.
Pros
great team
Cons
location
Working for the British Embassy was a great and gainful experience.
International Liaison Advisor (Former Employee) –  Cairo, GAOctober 25, 2013
Through my long years of service with the british Embassy, I learned a lot of values and experience in the immigration field, and customer service.
Management was a great and helpful place to turn to for help with HR and work issues.
Co-workers were always a pleasure to work with, and we made a very good team at work.
The hardest part of the job when we had to work under pressure and meet the dead lines for delivering our service.
Overall work was most enjoyable at all times, because the spirit of the team was great.
Former Security Officer
SECURITY GUARD (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 2, 2014
The job was pretty easy going and so were my colleagues. You provided basic security and administrative functions such as controlling the front and rear gates, mail shipping & receiving as well as sorting and provided escorts. It was simple and the job paid well. You stood for long periods of time a the ambassador's residence gate directing traffic to and from in all types of weather. That's the only con about the job. I would say that this job is best for someone that has a vehicle because metro (red line) can become a hassle especially when the job requires you to do rotating shifts which requires an early morning (6am shift and a late night shift where you get off at midnight). Because I didn't have a vehicle, I had to rely on a taxi, a metro bus and metro rail for certain shifts (6am-2:30pm shift) and was often a few minutes late due to a train or bus delay which resulted in me being terminated so a vehicle is best for this position and some shifts.
Cons
rotating shifts, unreliable public transportation
One of the most interesting places that I have worked.
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 4, 2013
The British Embassy is at the forefront of trade and business in Washington. As a part of the team there, I was exposed to up-to-date and top notch advancements in the business world. I gained invaluable skills in both business practices and team work. The British Embassy was the best start to my professional work experience.
I really learned a lot from this job
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  WashingtonJanuary 15, 2014
This job is not for everyone. Its a very diverse group of cultures and sets of rules. I learned how to deal with people from all walks of life, and make peoples day a little bit better.
Pros
generous overtime, getting to meet interesting people
Cons
different personalities meshing

Want to know more about British Embassy?

Ask a question
A Great Experience
Housing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 4, 2013
I really enjoy working at the British Embassy. It is a completely different kind of workplace because you have the opportunity to meet people that you never thought you would.
Pros
meet foreign dignitaries
Cons
does not take tax out of paycheck and have to pay self-employment tax
very nice place to work
Construction and Engineering section Manager (Former Employee) –  CairoJanuary 31, 2014
nice area , nice team , nice time and it is a very good place to be part of, prestigious position to work as engineering section manager in the british embassy in cairo ..
Pros
time of work is suitable to me
Cons
medical insurance
Working at the Embassy
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  SofiaNovember 17, 2013
Working in Bulgaria I learned basic Bulgarian and learned about the customs in Bulgaria. I learnt about what a diplomat and his family go through moving from post to post.

All the attaches were military personnel from either navy, air force or regular military and all high ranking personnel. In my years working there, I worked for 3 Defence Attaches, 3 Deputy Attaches and 3 Assistant Attaches. All had different ways of working so learned to adapt.

My co-workers were both Bulgarian and English and an extremely friendly environment to work in and socialised frequently.

I have to be honest and say that I did not find any part of my job working in the Defence Section difficult apart from may speaking the language, badly but managing to make myself understood.

I liked everything about the job and enjoyed assisting with organising the RCDS visit and assisting the Ambassadors PA with the Queens Birthday Party. It was held at the Ambassadors residence. On one, occasion, the Ambassador asked if I wanted to stay at the residence and take care of his dog. I jumped at the chance as it is a magnificent residence and I felt privileged that they trusted me. The other perks were being invited to the US Marine Ball and other events but other embassies. November each year we organised Remembrance Services shared with French and German.
Pros
working in a foreign country, learning a new language, attending embassy functions, learning a different culture and their traditions
Cons
speaking the language fluently, driving in sofia
The epitome of British Culture
Floater in Passport Department (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 4, 2014
They moved the passport department back to England. It was okay. Administrative tasks all day, but because I was temp.
Productive and fun environment
Passport Clerk (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 21, 2013
Learned many new line positions ranging from mailroom to data entry to dispatch.