British Embassy Employee Reviews

Interesting Place to Work
Facilities, Accommodatons and Design Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 1, 2017
Its not a typical place to work. There's cultural differences to learn and adapt to and they enjoy learning about the US culture as well.
We speak the same language but there's many differences, such as the Brits are masters at delivering hard messages in creative and crafty ways...
Pros
benefits, vacation
Cons
no advancement from within - always competitive
Great Learning experience
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 21, 2017
The people are great. You learn a lot from security to working with SS to the amabassador to the maintenance team. It is a place that will take you places. Grab your knowledge and go.
Poor compensation and benefits
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 15, 2016
Work life balance is good, culture can be fun depending on the department in which you work. Overall, pay and benefits is 15% below market value. There is no opportunity for growth or promotion for locally employed staff members. You are hired to do a job, and nothing more. There are no career opportunities for advancement. Americans who work there are essentially treated like red-headed step children. It sounds prestigious to work here, but don't let the accents fool you.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
Horrible pay and benefits
Very fun work environment
UKTI Intern (Former Employee) –  Santo DomingoOctober 6, 2016
It was a very productive internship in terms of my acquired knowledge. I interned in the UKTI division which was very dynamic. I was able to network and get to know many prominent English investors and broaden my knowledge in marketing and PR. The UKTI team as awesome to work with.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
No room for growth, outdated
This was the job in which I enhanced my value as a tradesman. I learned the importance of working as part of a team.
Painting Contractor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 19, 2016
A typical day at the Embassy started at 7:30 AM and ended at 4 PM. Over the course of the year we worked about half the days either in the Embassy complex itself, or in the Ambassador's Residence; which took priority over all other jobs. The other days we would work at any of the 90 odd Diplomatic or Military properties in the Washington DC Metropolitan area. The Embassy had extensive real estate holdings in Washington, Maryland and Virginia.
My co-workers came from a variety of countries. The majority of them were UK subjects and either Irish, Scottish, or English. Many had wives who worked in the Embassy or other Embassies; and were subject to A-2 Visas, which meant they could only work in an Embassy, and not in the American private sector. Often the hardest part of the job was working with people who were not used to the highest of work standards in expensive housing. It seemed many in the Trades Works Group (TWG) made a career out of avoiding work, and it became my niche as an American to be the one who had to work harder than others. The absolute worst part of the job was the ineptitude of Management Officers at the Embassy in organizing the jobs. Many times my painting crew would be assigned to work in a house where carpenters from another company were blasting dust throughout the place, making it difficult or impossible for us to perform our jobs. Also, time management was a concept which was foreign to all of management, as they would have no idea of how much time any job should take; thus wrecking many plans. However, all in all, this was one of the
  more... best experiences I had in my working career. I got along with just about everyone, and made my name as a good worker. That, in hindsight, was the most enjoyable part of the job.  less
Pros
good working conditions, the best tools and materials available, positive work environment most of the time, a wide variety of social work, great friendships built over a fifteen year period.
Cons
There were a lot of lazy people just trying to get by, general unorganized job scheduling, awful management with the exception of the first head of the department I worked under.
Good learning experience and opportunity to do variety of work
Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 17, 2016
Overall good experience but when question about if i get overtime because similar positions I had were hourly plus overtime, my question was ignored and I worked a lot of hours without getting overtime
Pros
Great learning opportunities
Cons
Low pay, not paid overtime, and sometimes management does not respond to questions
Great workplace
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bogotá, CUNJuly 17, 2015
People works very hard, but they do not pay enough. It is good employer and respect their policies such as Job work/life balance.
good benefits
electrician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 3, 2015
they treat employees eqully. they send employees for some trainings for position advancement. just like me , they sent asbestos containment training and personnel management progam.
Pros
good training programs
Cons
employment if limited when you reach age 65
Relaxed and collegiate
Budget Manager - In-Country Support (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 30, 2014
British Defence Staff (BDS) in the British Embassy in Washington DC consists of military and civilian personnel posted from the UK as well as Locally Engaged Civilians. Although an Embassy would be expected to be very formal, the working environment in BDS was relaxed with most people, including managers, on first name terms. The work was interesting and compensation adequate.
The epitome of British Culture
Floater in Passport Department (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 4, 2014
They moved the passport department back to England. It was okay. Administrative tasks all day, but because I was temp.

Want to know more about British Embassy?

Ask a question
Former Security Officer
SECURITY GUARD (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 2, 2014
The job was pretty easy going and so were my colleagues. You provided basic security and administrative functions such as controlling the front and rear gates, mail shipping & receiving as well as sorting and provided escorts. It was simple and the job paid well. You stood for long periods of time a the ambassador's residence gate directing traffic to and from in all types of weather. That's the only con about the job. I would say that this job is best for someone that has a vehicle because metro (red line) can become a hassle especially when the job requires you to do rotating shifts which requires an early morning (6am shift and a late night shift where you get off at midnight). Because I didn't have a vehicle, I had to rely on a taxi, a metro bus and metro rail for certain shifts (6am-2:30pm shift) and was often a few minutes late due to a train or bus delay which resulted in me being terminated so a vehicle is best for this position and some shifts.
Cons
Rotating shifts, unreliable public transportation
very nice place to work
Construction and Engineering section Manager (Former Employee) –  CairoJanuary 31, 2014
nice area , nice team , nice time and it is a very good place to be part of, prestigious position to work as engineering section manager in the british embassy in cairo ..
Pros
time of work is suitable to me
Cons
medical insurance
I really learned a lot from this job
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  WashingtonJanuary 15, 2014
This job is not for everyone. Its a very diverse group of cultures and sets of rules. I learned how to deal with people from all walks of life, and make peoples day a little bit better.
Pros
Generous Overtime, getting to meet interesting people
Cons
different personalities meshing
Bridging countries
Marketing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 15, 2014
Determined to apply my passion for communication to a high impact environment, I joined UK Trade & Investment (UK Foreign Commonwealth Office) where I could contribute to build bridges between countries. As a Marketing Specialist, I advised companies on their foreign investment strategies, managed events and developed branding materials promoting the UK overseas. My flagship project in this role was the development of an internal communication project “event toolkit” which was then shared over the entire US network.

In addition I coordinated the Monocle - UK Trade & Investment collaboration: Spotlight on Boston documentary film raising international awareness for the Boston biotechnology cluster. This involved close coordination with partner companies and their c-level executives.
Pros
Managing events with multinational companies
Working at the Embassy
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  SofiaNovember 17, 2013
Working in Bulgaria I learned basic Bulgarian and learned about the customs in Bulgaria. I learnt about what a diplomat and his family go through moving from post to post.

All the attaches were military personnel from either navy, air force or regular military and all high ranking personnel. In my years working there, I worked for 3 Defence Attaches, 3 Deputy Attaches and 3 Assistant Attaches. All had different ways of working so learned to adapt.

My co-workers were both Bulgarian and English and an extremely friendly environment to work in and socialised frequently.

I have to be honest and say that I did not find any part of my job working in the Defence Section difficult apart from may speaking the language, badly but managing to make myself understood.

I liked everything about the job and enjoyed assisting with organising the RCDS visit and assisting the Ambassadors PA with the Queens Birthday Party. It was held at the Ambassadors residence. On one, occasion, the Ambassador asked if I wanted to stay at the residence and take care of his dog. I jumped at the chance as it is a magnificent residence and I felt privileged that they trusted me. The other perks were being invited to the US Marine Ball and other events but other embassies. November each year we organised Remembrance Services shared with French and German.
Pros
Working in a foreign country, learning a new language, attending embassy functions, learning a different culture and their traditions
Cons
Speaking the language fluently, driving in Sofia
One of the most interesting places that I have worked.
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 4, 2013
The British Embassy is at the forefront of trade and business in Washington. As a part of the team there, I was exposed to up-to-date and top notch advancements in the business world. I gained invaluable skills in both business practices and team work. The British Embassy was the best start to my professional work experience.
Working for the British Embassy was a great and gainful experience.
International Liaison Advisor (Former Employee) –  Cairo, GAOctober 25, 2013
Through my long years of service with the british Embassy, I learned a lot of values and experience in the immigration field, and customer service.
Management was a great and helpful place to turn to for help with HR and work issues.
Co-workers were always a pleasure to work with, and we made a very good team at work.
The hardest part of the job when we had to work under pressure and meet the dead lines for delivering our service.
Overall work was most enjoyable at all times, because the spirit of the team was great.
A Great Experience
Housing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 4, 2013
I really enjoy working at the British Embassy. It is a completely different kind of workplace because you have the opportunity to meet people that you never thought you would.
Pros
Meet Foreign Dignitaries
Cons
Does not take tax out of paycheck and have to pay self-employment tax
Productive and fun environment
Passport Clerk (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 21, 2013
Learned many new line positions ranging from mailroom to data entry to dispatch.
Amazing Work Experience
Business Partnerships Associate (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 8, 2012
At present, I work (part time) with the “Partnerships and Business Development” team at The British Council (Embassy of the UK) in Washington, D.C., where I focus on exploring ideas that have the potential of becoming business propositions, as well as assisting with event planning and market research. I also work on researching information and providing notes for senior management before meetings as well as ensuring appropriate and timely follow-up from the meetings. I am responsible for learning more on potential partners, government contracting opportunities and widening our network of US based contacts through outreach and communications. I would also like to highlight that through my research our business partnerships team succeeded in finding and procuring a grant of 100,000 British Pounds for a partnership project involving mobile communications and our software offerings.
Pros
great team
Cons
location