BRITISH RED CROSS

BRITISH RED CROSS Employer Reviews

Benefitting voluntary work.
Peer- educator volunteer (Former Employee), Wrexham, WLSNovember 17, 2014
Benefitting voluntary work, educating younger pupils about social issues in the world.
Improved social confidence of pupils and encouraged participation in class discussions.
Volunteer
Charity worker (Former Employee), WirralNovember 14, 2014
Pros: helping the charity
Cons: voluntary
Voluntary position whilst looking for paid, full time employment.
Brilliant place to learn with amazing team
First Aider Voluntary (Current Employee), Wolverhampton, ENGNovember 6, 2014
I am currently training to be an events first aider (voluntary) so that I can provide care at different events around the country. I have learnt how to be apart of the team and giving your best to provide care to whomever needs it. The red cross has provided excellent training and continues to provide the necessary resources we need.
stock taking
Customer Service and Stock Control Operative (Former Employee), PrentonOctober 16, 2014
it was good experince to able to do stock taking and also cash handling
met and worked with the most passionate people on the planet
fund raiser team leader (Former Employee), GlasgowOctober 15, 2014
Pros: worked with the most passionate people on earth
ask any fundraiser at the BRC and they will detail why they are working for them and not one of them will tell you that their there for money, each fundraiser believes in the BRC so much that their willing to take people abuse, stand in the wind and the rain, all so that they gain a supporter and in doing so save a life.
British Red Cross.Furniture and Electrical shop.
customer assistant (Current Employee), 46/47 Burleigh street.cambridge.cb1 1dj.October 11, 2014
All time I enjoyed working with my work place.I never had any problem with my work place.I learned lot of things in my work place, how can serving customer in the checkout,helping customer with finding product,
It is nice place to work and all the staff and volunteers are friendly.
Shop Assistant (Former Employee), South WalesOctober 9, 2014
I have been a volunteer for 5 years and i am doing a 9 month job placement at the moment with the red cross . I have learn a lot about the job and all the good work it does to help people all offer the world.
Humanitarian experience and soothing
Volunteer on fund-raising and first aid programme (Current Employee), HullSeptember 29, 2014
It was a volunteer job. I liked the atmosphere and because it is a charity organisation, extending helping hand for the society, whenever they are in need and whenever the British Red Cross can offer this help. Also working as a cooperative team to fulfil the goals.
Huge Job Satisfaction.
Positive Steps Volunteer (Current Employee), Gloucester, ENGSeptember 25, 2014
Pros: able to claim milage money back
Cons: huge amount of paperwork involved
A typical day at work would include receiving a referral from the Service Assistant. I would then read through the referral to gather an idea of what/who was waiting for me (so as to avoid the unexpected!). I would then travel out to the service users home, and with their permission complete a home safety check. This includes looking for any hazards – more... that could put a service users health at risk. Such as; loose wires, overloaded sockets or non-functional smoke alarms. Other areas would include; can the service users use the toilet correctly, do they need handle rails to use the shower etc.?, as the Positive Steps Scheme aim is fall prevention. After completing the home safety check I would take the notes back to the office to write up and refer the service user to the appropriate service. These might include; MEARS (who supply hand rails etc), a Community Occupational Therapist or other services such as befriending or the Fire Service to fit a smoke alarm.

If undertaking a befriending role then I would visit the service user in their home for a maximum period of six visits, before I refer them onto a more permanent service. The aim is the support the service user in becoming less isolated. I would undertake this by taking them on a walk or to the local shops, just to help them build back up their confidence and independence again. I would write up my care plan notes after every session. The care plan is where I record my notes from every visit, including progress or other comments. This is also where the visit user creates targets for themselves, such as; walk to the shops for a newspaper everyday without zimmer frame support. – less
Great place to work where you meet beautiful people
Field Representative (Direct Sales) (Former Employee), Manchester UKSeptember 13, 2014
Pros: full of fun
Cons: yes long long hours
Everyday was an another day full of fun and a continuous learning process. A great chance to meet new people everyday and share ideas with them, teaming up with them and having lots of fun while working.

Our management was more like a friend. We met them twice a day everyday. Always found them with full of energy and enthusiasm.

I learned a great – more... deal of confidence in myself and the product, or the cause in this case.Team work, leading the team, tight sales targets, socializing are some the other things I learnt from the job. – less
Confident, committed.
Volunteer (Current Employee), London, ENGSeptember 11, 2014
I'm volunteering and contributing with all the Administrative Stuff. I'm one of the volunteers and staff responsible to attend the clients, answer the phone, make appointments, submit new clients in the system and filing.
Prodivce and Fun to work
Shop Assistant/ Volunteer (Former Employee), Plymouth, ENGSeptember 8, 2014
Pros: lunchtime
Cons: long hours sometimes
The most enjoyable part of the job was coming in the morning and having a laugh with my co-workers and the customers
Laid back workplace
Account Administrator (Former Employee), PaisleySeptember 3, 2014
Pros: laid back, stress free enviroment
As part of the accounts payable team i would cover a wide range of roles from general data entry & processing of orders and payments to journals for national contracts.

I learned a lot of office based skills in this role finding my way around Microsoft Office alot more in this role. I was in charge of mainly utilities that where essential for the day – more... to day operations for shops, making sure their bills where paid and up to date.

As the Red Cross is a charity it had a very laid back feel around the office and i felt that this some times reflected in the work produced by some employees.

I did enjoy my time with the British Red Cross but i needed to be in a more fast paced enviroment. – less
Enjoyable, great learning curve
Voluntary Worker (Former Employee), Bishop Auckland, ENGSeptember 3, 2014
Pros: short hours
Cons: small work area in back of shop
Working here I learnt that due to it being a charity shop, people may not come in at all one day then loads another day, it also showed me the work you have to do to sort through items which are acceptable to sell. The work staff and management were all very friendly and were easy to get along with. The hardest part of the job was tagging clothes correctly – more... as it is only meant to be tagged once. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping customers in the shop when they required assistance. – less
Great place for fun and make your feel good
Volunteer (Former Employee), Bournemouth, ENGSeptember 3, 2014
if you want to work for money? this is not a great place. but If you want to work with great people and fun and lively place. yes!!!!
Friendly diverse workforce.
Sunday Shop Assistant (Former Employee), Minehead, ENGAugust 25, 2014
I enjoyed working at the British Red Cross, there were a wide variety of people who volunteered and was always nice to find out about their lives. They were friendly and always wanted to get to work and get lots done.
The hardest part was sometimes being on my own with no volunteers as it would mean I had to spend the day in the shop and no stock could – more... be put out. – less
Internship
Recovery Team Research Assistant Intern (Former Employee), LondonAugust 21, 2014
The purpose of this internship was to explore the use of social safety nets to support vulnerable groups in contexts of conflict and other situations of violence. I was obliged to analyse available publication on this topic and write a report on these findings.
Fun Workplace and hard work
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Current Employee), Carlisle, ENGAugust 16, 2014
Pros: all staff are friendly and inviting as soon as you walk through the door.
Cons: untidy most of the time and can't hardly move around the back/ office.
It is a really inviting environment and the staff are good company to work aside and it is for a good course because we are also raising money for people to learn medical procedures and save lives in the process. It is also a busy environment because we need to sort out all the deliveries that come to the shop and organise them in some sort of order. – more... It is also busy in the actual shop floor because we have loads of customers come in and sometimes ask for certain things and we have a look for them things for them and help them find another place which may have what they are looking for, so I am very proud to be volunteering there because I know that it helps people. Even the managers are outgoing and help you if you need it and make sure that you are feeling welcome, which I always do. The hardest part of the job would be tagging the products because sometimes you can catch yourself with the needle and have to change it. The most thing that I enjoy about the job is the staff and customers because I find out so much from them and learn new things each time. – less
Interesting work
Sunday Sales Assistant (Current Employee), Yeovil, ENGAugust 11, 2014
Pros: friendly; always plenty to do
Cons: none!
No two days are the same. You don't know what's going to be in stock - among the more mundane things are some weird and wonderful articles.

You meet a very wide variety of people, both customers and colleagues.

Colleagues are mostly volunteers, from retired people who want to do something with their time, to young ones who want to do something useful – more... and gain work experience at the same time.

You know that ultimately you are doing your part to help people in crisis and that's a great thing! – less
Fun place to work.
Charity Collector (Former Employee), Liverpool, ENGAugust 7, 2014
Pros: good fun atmosphere with a chance to earn good money.
Cons: long hours and a lot of travelling involved.
A typical day at work would consist of. Pitching to customers on the door step, Explaining the benefits of donating to a charity,Taking payment details and accurately filling donation forms, Working as a team to achieve set sales targets, Responsible for maintaining of self motivation as well as supporting team members, Working to a set plan. I learnt – more... how to pitch to customers and achieve sales targets. The management was good as they let me choose the days I wanted to work as I had other obligations. My co workers were all good fun and I got on well with them and we worked as a team. The hardest part of the job was arriving at work at 10 AM and not getting the bus home until 10:30 PM and sometimes knowing yo have made no sales so that days work has got you no pay. The most enjoyable part of the job was going door to door and building relationships with the customers. – less

1 2 3 4 5

About BRITISH RED CROSS

The British Red Cross is part of the world's largest independent humanitarian network - the International Red Cross and Red Crescent – Read more

BRITISH RED CROSS Photos