Broadcast Music, Inc Employee Reviews

Never thought I'd say this...
Instructor/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 8, 2017
... but BMI became something I never thought it would - a hostile takeover of micromanaging, terrible-at-communicating, passive aggressive, nose-in-the-air, preference-over-policy, favoritism-showing idiots that run good people away. A typical day? Do my job and hope the higher-ups don't find a small thing to fire me for. These guys claim to be the smartest people in the business, but the lack of people skills is incredible. They leave the same taste in everyone's mouth. No wonder recruiters don't like them, and I mean ALL of them. It started with the top guy on our floor and next thing we know, there are less than 20 original coworkers (out of 80+). If you don't have church shoes, you can't work here - unless you're AVP, in which case you can wear hiking boots (even though they're against the handbook). I won't come back unless they leave. It used to be the best place I had ever worked.
Pros
Benefits, Holidays, Employee Appreciation Day
Cons
Everything else
Excellent place to work
Audio Visual Music Specialist (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 11, 2017
I enjoy my co-workers as well as the environment I work in. I like having deadlines to meet each quarter. I like the challenge of having to do extensive research on writers/publishers. I like organizing my job so I can do it much better.
Pros
Excellent healthcare and benefits
Too much work for no pay
Senior Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 2, 2017
You work from the minute you in the door to the last minutes of you leaving. low salary to begin hardly no real room for advancement and when I did advance to management I never received a raised so I quit.
Pros
no pro for me
Cons
low salary for too much work.
composer and writer
Composer/ writer (Current Employee) –  New York, NY 250 greenwich streetJuly 23, 2017
if you are a musician and composer or writer and would like to make money off of your work than apply to bmi , you'll immediately get a check for anything you submit
Pros
make money for your creativity
Cons
no cons
Positive company culture and work/life balance however compensation and advancement opportunities are minimal.
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 26, 2017
BMI provides a positive company culture and allows sales representatives to work independently to meet personal and team goals. It's a great place to learn serious sales skills. My mission is to sell blanket music licenses granting copyright permissions to bars, hotels, and nightclubs. It's a tough sell convincing business owners to pay for permissions for something they already use for free. I take pride in my success as it contributes to songwriters getting paid the royalties they are due for use of their intellectual property. The lack of micro-management combined with ready support factor into our success on the floor. However, the technology of our dialer system combined with managerial choices relating to different departments and how they work in tandem often causes roadblocks to maximizing our potential in revenue generation. The commission structure is also a source of frustration. Due to that fact as well as a lower base salary than desired, I am looking to continue building my sales experience elsewhere.
Pros
Minimal Micro-Management
Cons
Poor Commission Structure
Very Stressfull Job
Inside Sales Licensing Representative (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNApril 26, 2017
Inside sales calls with poor leads to meet sales goals, Management does listen to employees. Need to learn how to train people and treat people fairly and not play favorites.
Pros
Good benefits
Exciting Company and Industry
Executive Director, Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNApril 19, 2017
An exciting organization going through cultural change. Good to great management team. Good relationships between divisions and easy access to senior leaders.
Pros
Work environment
Cons
Limited growth due to company size
On it's way out.
global leader in music rights management (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 20, 2017
These structures don't work in the current performing rights world. Management is riding this out until it is no more. They are too large and entrenched to make significant changes. They are also chained to a consent decree with the DOJ that doesn't allow for the needed flexibility. There are some great leaders, there are some absolutely horrid leaders, they all make a lot yet are unable to make significant change. Stirrings in the industry make this not a safe place to work today if you are looking long term.
Pros
Strong history, respect, serve the songwriters.
Cons
Not structured to serve the current digital age, not able to adapt to do so.
Fair enough place to work.
Senior Data Analyst, Performing Rights (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 21, 2016
Many positives to working at BMI. Very slow with promotions. Generous compensation, great health insurance. Fair work/life balance. Great team of coworkers in my department. Hardest part of job is tolerating the glacially slow pace of change/improvement.
Pros
Summer hours, flexibile scheduling.
Cons
Very slow career growth.
Great Place to work with great benefits and flexible work schedule
ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNApril 19, 2016
Broadcast Music was a great company to work for. I enjoyed the many benefits of the company which included a matching 401 K, great health benefits. We could work at home and create your own schedule. I had great co-workers that treated me and everybody with respect. The hardest part of the job was managing the volume of customer inquiries and dealing with difficult customers when certain processes did not apply to there needs. I miss the company after 13 years but had to move out of Nashville.
Great work life balance
Sr. Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNOctober 7, 2015
BMI is a very passionate about the music industry and its affiliates. The work life balance is the greatest perk of being an employee. The benefits package far exceeds the average offering especially in the area of the 401(k) contributions. Company works hard to maintain its market share and reputation as an industry leader. The company also takes the time to acknowledge accomplishments and strive to do even better. Best part of the job was working with some great people. The organization tends to be very resistant to change and slow to react to industry change. Not very much opportunity for advancement.
Pros
Excellent work life balance
Cons
No much opportunity for advancement
I have got a chance to work with the client directly and had one-to-one interaction daily. I am a workaholic and love to work under any circumstances.
Associate Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 8, 2015
As soon as I step into the office, I used to make a note of my tasks and work accordingly thorough out the day to finish them.
I worked with a team under a healthy competitive environment.
Also Working with the client directly, gave me a chance to learn new things and made me think innovative.
Good company - great people - fun industry
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 3, 2015
Great company to work for as a stepping stone but nowhere to move around. Many people are favored and salaries are very low considering all the work we do and upper management we support.
Pros
Fun events, listen to music all day while you work
Cons
No mobility, low salary, no communication between upper management and staff
Productive, stern but not strict, friendly people. Relaxed Fridays (casual dress)
Computer Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 29, 2015
This was a fun business dealing with songwriters etc. The people were friendly and hardworking. Management was always present and interacted with employees daily ensuring the job is getting done right. Office environment was very professional, clean and organized. No clutter or personal artifacts on desk were allowed. The hardest part of job was taking time of busy schedule to write reports on status of ongoing projects. The most enjoyable part of the job was the work itself.
Pros
Free coffee and underground/covered secure parking.
Cons
Incredible company to work for
Manager, Commercial Radio Monitoring (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNOctober 22, 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed my employment and career in the music industry. Being a non-profit organization, the salary was not as good as I thought it would be for a well established company such as BMI. However, benefits were excellent and still are even after retirement!
Pros
Fairly relaxed atmosphere, wonderful co-workers
Cons
Salary/raises/recognition
good company
Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 31, 2014
This is a good company to work for. Great experience. Good people
Not as glamorous as it appears
Business Operations Analyst (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 30, 2014
Typical day is 7.5 hours plus a 30 minute unpaid lunch break. Also two 15 minute breaks are allowed per day. Most work is data-entry oriented with occasional special projects. Very minimal music industry knowledge is required to preform job functions. Main job function is manually entering music performance data from TV and Film cue sheets into a royalty payment system. The company uses its music industry status to attract job applicants but most departments operate with a very corporate feel more like working at a bank than a music company. There is a lot of turnover with this position because the compensation is extremely low and the workload continues to increase. The company is facing some legal issues that may threaten its viability and relevance in the future because Management has neglected to change the business model or keep up with industry changes,
Pros
Ability to work from home 3-4 days per week
Cons
Poor Management, No Upward Mobility, Only a 37.5 hour work week, Low pay and large workload
Excellent place to work within a competitive and exiting industry
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  San Juan, PRFebruary 5, 2014
I'm a former employee and loved working for BMI. Is an exciting and fun company, working in a great industry that allow you to grow professionally and personally. Will recommend everyone that has the opportunity to work for BMI.
Team management
General Licensing Executive Intern (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 22, 2013
A typical day at BMI would have to consist of meeting goals and deadlines on projects, research analyst, collecting data to present to legal team.
Pros
Management team
Cons
Part time
Welcoming and motivated workforce all with a passion of music.
Licensing Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 4, 2013
Work consists of the music licensing business and collecting royalties to be redistributed to our artists. Management was friendly and highly focused. Coworkers became friends. Most enjoyable part of the job was being exposed to new artists. Hardest part of the job was repetitive assignments.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Broadcast Music, Inc. Our community is ready to answer.

Broadcast Music, Inc Reviews by Location