Broadlawns Medical Center Employee Reviews in United States

Very fastpaced position and good place to work.
Supply Process Clerk (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 5, 2016
I was a supply clerk for Broadlawns Hospital. My duties were to take internal phone calls from departments that were in need of supplies and also when some medical offices closed I was to take inventory and then re-stock what was needed. This position was also required to clean all surgical instruments for the Surgery/Emergency room. The hardest part was the cleaning and sanitizing, you saw all sorts of things.
Pros
Offered Ipers
Cons
Night Shift
This was a County hospital commited to serving the needs of a diverse and impoverished population. Staff is urged to be creative in care-giving method
Inpatient Psychiatric Nurse (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IowaSeptember 30, 2015
My day consisted of admitting and caring for persons with SPMI and chemical dependency issues. The people I cared for were in crisis, experiencing an exacerbation of their symptoms. The typical client was facing numerous life challenges related to poverty, homelessness, and lack of support in the community. I both developed and facilitated groups as well as providing individual counsel to clients. There was a frequent need for crisis intervention when clients were behaving in ways dangerous to themselves and others. I had to opportunity to work independently with my assigned case load as well as coming together as a team when a crisis situation presented itself.
Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IASeptember 1, 2015
Productive environment to work in. Management was wonderful but very overworked. The nurses were not always focused on what was best for the patient.
Clinics are a mis-managed mess
LPN - Clinic (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJuly 6, 2015
I worked for Broadlawns in the clinics - not the hospital - until they get someone in there that knows how to manage the clinics I would stay away! You will be miserable and before long - spread thin and back stabbing your co-workers like everyone else!
Pros
Job security & Feeling of a small tight community
Cons
Poor management - poor communication - back stabbing!
Excellent co-workers
Residential Treatment Worker (Former Employee) –  Des Moines IowaMay 12, 2015
I scheduled meeting times with clients on my caseload
I met with clients at the homeless shelters
What it is like to be homeless and mentally ill
My team leader was excellent
I work great with my co-workers
Seeing hurting people and children
Being able to help
Pros
An excellent team environment
Cons
Not having a consistent management team
My job summary
Switchboard Operator (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMay 10, 2015
My typical day was one in which I spent 95% of my day receiving phone calls from doctors/patients and then I transferred them to the appropriate department. 5% of my day was spent dealing with any codes or emergencies that might come through
Pros
Getting to assist people in getting the right people to help them with their health care problems.
Cons
Short or no breaks as I had to be available in case of a code.
rough
Staff RN/Charge RN (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAFebruary 25, 2015
Patients are rough to work with (high violence and multiple areas of nursing required with mixed cliental of age groups and different disease processes for psychiatric nursing) and scheduling is difficult to maintain (split shifts every week). Benefits are great, but BMC does not promote schooling.
Good place to work.
Cartified Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IANovember 1, 2014
This hospital has great benefits and a lot of people have been working there for a long time. Also good retirement benefits.
fun for my psychological studies
PSYCH TECH F/T (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJune 20, 2014
Performed CNA duties and rounds for safety checks.
Restrained patients when needed.
Charted on patients.
Performed unit clerk duties when needed
Awful
Health Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 2, 2014
Horrible place to work. I ended up leaving because of all the sexual harassment that goes on between employees. Dewey does not feel like a safe place to work and upper management is terribly greedy. When they tell people that have worked there for 5+ years without receiving any kind of raise since they started that they would "rather hire an illegal than pass out more money" you know there's a problem.
Pros
free lunch on saturdays
Cons
everything
Has a good mission
Registration (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IADecember 9, 2013
Really enjoyed working with patients and staff. Learned about state and federal funding.
watch out for the "good ole boy" way of working with employees
Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAOctober 3, 2013
Broadlawns is a good but small county hospital. I have had treatment there for about 1.5 years. The doctors are good and the hospital is through when you are seeking treatment. Because of this I submitted an application and was hired. The job was very frustrating as some of the staff had been there a long time and felt that they ran the unit I was a clerk on. I had a supervisor that had come abroad and did not even know me. However, he listened to several people that did not like me and felt I should not be in the position I was in. He wrote me up based on a write up that was previously written to me when I was really sick. His write up was a mirror of the first one that I had been given. I was trained but not for as long as I was supposed to be trained for. I was not well both mentally and physically. But I gave it my best once I had gotten back on medications and I was feeling better. I was praised by the nurses I worked with and when asking my supervisor 3 weeks after his write up if I was doing better, he answered yes and sited where he had seen growth. Three days later I was fired based on a made up story that never happened. gunning for me. Mty typical day was answering non stop phones, setting up day surgery on a computer, making up packets of paperwork, checking in patients and greeting anyone that came to the wondow. There is many other duties that I did in a day but too many to list. The clinic was actually a 2 person office that was 1 person had to attempt to keep running smoothly and was not able to do so. My recommendation is that prospective really check out the  more... unit you would be working on prior to accepting a position with Broadlawns.  less
Pros
none on the unit i worked on it was just work, work
Cons
never got a 15 minute break in the am or pm as there was too many tasks to do in one day
Nice environment
Registered Nurse Team Leader-ED (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAOctober 3, 2013
Enjoyed patients and the excellent medical care provided.
Pros
free convenient employee parking
Cons
very political
County Hospital
Utilization Management RN (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IowaSeptember 4, 2013
Specialty care, outpatient surgical care, primary clinics, inpatient and outpatient mental health care and same day walk in clinic
LOVED this company!
Training Specialist (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJune 10, 2013
I was in my dream job at Broadlawns. I loved working with the new hires and patients that wanted to quit smoking. I thrived on the variety and challenges that my job entailed. The staff and management were, for the most part, focused on the mission of the organization and always looking for ways to improve.
If it hadn't been for the economic downturn, I would still be there.
Pros
small organization, dedicated people, beautiful setting, cafeteria in the building, autonomy in my job
Cons
none that i can think of.
Very exciting work environment
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IaJanuary 1, 2013
Typical work day is fast paced always something new. I learned to care about patient needs, how to communicate with people on a different level, how to help people and in return thru staff and patients how much I could make a differance. Management and coworkers were reliable, friendly and helpful. Seeing people hurt or grieving over patients well being. The most enjoyable part was helping others.
Pros
great healthcare
Cons
not being able to help some non residents since county hospital
Good place to work for
Certified Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Des Moines,IADecember 3, 2012
Good coworkers and can have fun while working. The hardest is the amount of patients that dont speak English and handling the patients that get mad because they are denied pain meds.
Enjoyable
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Des MoinesNovember 4, 2012
I have worked at BMC for over 2 years now and have always enjoyed my job. There's always something new and interesting going on.
Pros
education re-embersment
The Place whould be shut down.
Medical Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJuly 11, 2012
The staff is not great,poor performance, and no advancement.
Pros
nothing is positive
Cons
too much to put in.
A lot of backstabbing
Tech (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IowaFebruary 27, 2012
If you can handle the infighting this is the place for you. If you are not afaraid of gross human bi-product from surgery it might be the place for you.
Pros
not all the people were bad
Cons
a lot of talking behind people's backs.