Broadlawns Medical Center Employee Reviews

Busy, Great place to learn
Lead Phlebotomist and Central Processing (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IANovember 10, 2017
Broadlawns is a great hospital that is known for serving patients of all status types. They are a great place to learn new skills as well as how to be diverse.
interesting place to work
Registered Nurse-Med-Surgical & Pediatrics (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IASeptember 7, 2017
Was great but stressful, increase patient load, lots of miscommunication, and not a great way of management experience as compared to other Non for profit facilities
Pros
good benefit
Cons
increase patient load
Amazing coworkers, great work experience, limited growth
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IASeptember 4, 2017
I worked as a nurse on med/surg night shift. It is a smaller hospital so you get a little bit of everything when it comes to patients, which is great to build experience. However, you do end up with court orders and psych overflow. The nurses and techs there are amazing and night shift is filled with coworkers that I miss dearly. Broadlawns has lower pay than most hospitals, but better benefits because it is a county hospital. There is a smaller staffing pool, so some nights can be really understaffed, but there were some periods where we were well staffed (I think this goes for any hospital). Management is management, no one ever really loves it, but its not so bad at Broadlawns. Plenty of opportunities to pick up hours or cross-train to other units. Broadlawns is a learning hospital, so there are new residents every July.
Pros
good experience builder, great coworkers
Cons
understaffed at times, many court ordered and drug detoxer patients
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAAugust 18, 2017
Okay Pay. Should Pay A Litte More. Good Hours. Friendly Co-Workers. Okay Management. Good Break Times. Good Food. Is Not Hard. Nice Specialists. Not Much Needed Skills
Awesome place to work
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAAugust 3, 2017
I have worked here for over three years now and I don't see myself leaving for any reason. The benefits are great, the workers are great, its just an overall great experience for security.
Not so great company in my opinion
WIC CLERK (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAAugust 2, 2017
The hardest part was dealing with a low income people with no education and so many times you get yelled at, if they can't get what they want.
Even though you work for the State, you don't get great benefits.
Pros
40 hours a week and no overtime
Cons
benefits not so great
Awesome place to work for
WIC Clerk (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJuly 26, 2017
Broadlawns Medical Center is a great place to work for, We shared a great time with great co-workers> the offer a decent pay and Managemenant was awesome.
quick paced
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJune 14, 2017
Large volume of patients in pain, and trying to help them. Enjoy getting to know the patients. Very fast paced and sometimes feel we don't have enough time to give to the patients.
Pros
getting to know the patients
Cons
fast paced
Broadlawns
Medical Coder (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJune 2, 2017
hardest about this job was constant micro managing, I learned to work in a hard and fast working environment which I liked. Very multicultural but felt that they did not give the same and equal opportunity to other nationalities. the most enjoyable part for me was to be able to help my coworkers.
Pros
early schedule
Cons
were not flexible to continue my college
Love the people I work with.
Staff RN (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAApril 24, 2017
I started working at Broadlawns as a new graduate nurse. I continue to work at Broadlawns because I love the people I work with. Broadlawns in a small hospital with cutting edge technology.

Want to know more about Broadlawns Medical Center?

Ask a question
Good benefits, bad workplace
Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAApril 13, 2017
When I worked at Broadlawns I liked the job and benefits, but there are a lot of people working there that need to "grow up". Even though I came to work everyday and did my job well, it didn't matter to management when the department "snitch" would tell on you for EVERYTHING! Even things I didn't even do. They would believe them every time and reprimand me everytime and it didn't matter if I did something or not. I always kept my mouth shut and didn't stoop to their level but it didn't do me any good. I feel at Broadlawns you are not treated fairly against workers with more seniority. It's really too bad that there has to be that one immature person to ruin it for everyone. Some people do come to work to actually work.
Pros
Most co-workers, patients
Cons
Gossiping co-workers
Great place to work!
RN (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 24, 2017
Broadlawns is a hospital that cares about patients and staff. It is a family like atmosphere with my co-workers. The nurses and doctors really care about patients and the diverse patient population is great to work with. I come to work every day and feel like I am making a difference. This is why I became a nurse.
Pros
Co-workers
Excellent Place to Work as a Nurse
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 23, 2017
Broadlawns is a great place to work in a supportive, close knit environment where education and evidence based practice are valued. We have a great opportunity to care for patients from all walks of life with a wide variety of illness, injuries, and disease processes. We have a good mix of nursing experience and value custom tailored orientation. We have a nursing residency program for new grads. Broadlawns has a shared governance system and is a great place to come to feel valued and supported as a nurse.
Pros
Amazing benefits, close knit community, supportive peers and management
Broadlawns
Patient Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAFebruary 27, 2017
Overnights are not for everyone, no room to move around and management keeps you still in your position if they can't find coverage. Liked doctors and nurses...management staff needs work or new employees. In all not a bad place to work but needs help in areas.
Pros
Doctors, Nurses
Cons
Management needs help
Great culture of caring for the less fortunate in our community.
Emergency Room Nurse (RN) (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAFebruary 8, 2017
I always left being grateful for my life and having the opportunity to serve those less fortunate. This hospital does so much for so many.
Love my job but the office politics keep me guessing
Mental Health Counselor (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IADecember 28, 2016
Teaching hospital where you can learn so much about diversity and patient care. It is a great hospital to earn supervision and educational outcomes while creating professional relationships.
Pros
Great insurance
Cons
Keep your opinions to yourself
Great benefits and diverse population served
Lead Medical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJuly 17, 2016
This is a pleasant place to work. It can be fast paced, but is steady most of the time. It is not a large lab, but it does have a great variety of testing. My co-workers were easy enough to work with and fun most of the time. The hardest part of the job was dealing with other managers. The most enjoyable part of the job was the autonomy that 3rd shift allowed.
preety good place
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJune 16, 2016
enjoyed working here.had to quit and look for another job to continue my school. management is good here.
Very fastpaced position and good place to work.
Supply Process Clerk (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 5, 2016
I was a supply clerk for Broadlawns Hospital. My duties were to take internal phone calls from departments that were in need of supplies and also when some medical offices closed I was to take inventory and then re-stock what was needed. This position was also required to clean all surgical instruments for the Surgery/Emergency room. The hardest part was the cleaning and sanitizing, you saw all sorts of things.
Pros
Offered Ipers
Cons
Night Shift
Overall not to bad but has some exceptions
radiologic technologist (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IANovember 3, 2015
I moved to a different shift some time ago, I have been trying to move back to my original shift to no avail. Reasons for this hold back has not been explained to me.