Broadway Mechanical-Contractors, Inc. (BMC) is seeking a capable and experienced individual to grow our Northern California Design/Build Engineering Team to provide established leadership, and employ our streamlined design/build project delivery model. Your team will be working integrally serving both internal and external clients. Our projects range from Tenant Improvements to Hospital Campuses.
More than simply a Consulting Engineer, we are looking for a dynamic and energetic High Rise, Commercial/Residential, Design/Build design specialist with a proven track record to expand BMC’s Bay Area footprint.
Working within a multi-skilled group of designers, engineers, fabricators and constructors, the candidate will be responsible for leading the design, as well as integration of detailing, production standards, field coordination, as well as cost and budget control.
The person must be able to understand and react to the changing design of the overall building and be able to communicate their ideas clearly and create good quality hand sketches, or other means as necessary. The ability to develop ideas convincingly “on the fly” in a meeting will be seen as a significant strength in any potential candidate.
The successful candidate should also have the ability to consider all design options and be prepared to take a wide ranging approach to solving design problems, which may lead to unusual or unconventional solutions.
The candidate will need to be a team player who can supervise, and work with others in the office, to produce drawings and reports to tight deadlines. The person should be able to develop, and protect relationships with Clients and provide a range of services tailored to their needs. They must be able to fully understand the role played by a Design Build Mechanical Contractor within various Project Delivery Models.
- Directing the work of a group of design engineers and drafters.
- Taking responsibility for quality and engineering, budget and scheduling control for work assigned to engineers in the group.
- Taking responsible charge of design engineers on key projects.
- Represent the company in sales support role when negotiating for new work and as a design professional at project design team meetings.
- The position is that of an engineering group leader who gives leadership and direction to the engineers assigned to a particular group. This position is also expected to perform engineering tasks similar to a Senior Engineer, i.e. as an individual contributor. The position is principally an office job with approximately 20% of time spent at design coordination meetings, jobsites, seminars, trade shows, etc.
- Be responsible for interpreting the conceptual guidelines given by Sales and Engineering Management, or the design criteria provided by an outside consultant
- Participate in conceptual design sessions for specific projects
- Attend meetings in the role of design professional with clients, architects and other design disciplines and prepares accurate and timely meeting notes
- Personally prepare preliminary (redline) design layouts for estimating on significant projects
- Produce complete working drawings and specification documents (where required) on specific projects. Direct and check drafting work
- Delegate complete projects to other engineers in the group
- Assume responsibility for production scheduling of group projects and engineering budget control
- Be responsible for preparing all engineering cost budgets for Sales and Project managers
- Be the group authority on code compliance
- Participate in formal engineering training of company personnel and provide specific direction of on-the-job training for design engineers, drafters and interns
- Establish and maintain a project scheduling and time control system
- Assist in maintaining the department project billing system
- Assist in maintaining quality control by checking work sent out by the department
- Lead growth of Northern Californian based Design / Build team in all areas of Mechanical Design; HVAC, Plumbing, Controls, Sustainability, and Performance Contracting
- Build relationships both internally within BMC and externally with developers, architects, engineers, contractors and subcontractors/vendors
- Create and deliver presentations working with building owners, design and construction team members, facility managers, and property managers to assess mechanical options for new construction, major renovations, interior build-outs, and existing buildings
- Understand the lifecycle costs and returns on investment of sustainability recommendations and advise building owners on cost effective solutions
- Provide technical leadership in the development of high performance, low energy design solutions that may involve leading a multi-disciplinary team focusing on both passive and active strategies
- Manage multiple projects at a time
- Prepare and present professional recommendations, reports, and results to clients and teams
Desired Skills and Experience
- Proven design skills and understanding HVAC, Plumbing and High Rise and healthcare design elements
- Detailed knowledge of Microsoft Excel, AutoCad 2012+, Navisworks, Revit, IES, EnergyPlus, eQuest and EnergyPro and experience of modeling complex analysis problems. Viewpoint enterprise software and Salesforce software experience a plus
- Knowledge of project economics / project finance and how commercial structure affects engineering approaches/solutions and vice versa
- Strong analytical and research skills
- Knowledge and experience of procurement engineering and performance contracting alliances
- Ability to communicate complex problems clearly and simply to clients, engineers and architects
- Excellent written report writing skills
Desired Skills & Experience
Years of experience
10- 20 years experience in HVAC and/or Plumbing design.
Experience in managing technical personnel, excellent working knowledge of design engineering for HVAC systems in all types of commercial and industrial buildings.
Large and small office buildings, hotels, hospitals, clean rooms, multi-unit residential, mixed use and high rise.
4 year B.S.M.E. degree.
Competence in the use of modern computer aided design methods. Good written and oral communication skills.
- Proven ability to provide team leadership, training/mentoring, design QA/QC, cost management (estimating engineering hours, delivering engineering hours on budget), on-time deliverables
- Proven ability to provide technical leadership in various mechanical systems
- Demonstrated ability to manage and collaborate with team members and clients is a requirement
- Strong Microsoft Office skills including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Strong Engineering skills including CAD, Load Calculator and Analysis programs
- Ability to estimate Engineering hours, supervise and maintain Engineering Budgets
- Applicants will be team-oriented people who can work in a fast-paced office with minimal supervision and who possess strong verbal and written communication skills
- Experience working in Design/Build sector
- Mechanical, plumbing and architectural design skills and experience
- Experience and knowledge of Building energy simulation using dynamic thermal modeling software and other industry standard packages
- CAD / Revit drawing to at least a basic/intermediate level preferred
- Additional certifications/licenses such as CGBP, BPI, CEM, PE, etc. are a plus
- A well-developed network of contacts in the Northern California building & development industry preferred.
- Experience and knowledge of 3D design software such as Revit preferred.
Imagine working for a truly progressive company whose 200 employees share a singular passion: To be the Premier Mechanical/Plumbing Contractors in Northern California. We enjoy what we do at Broadway Mechanical-Contractors, Inc. (BMC) and have done for nearly 40 years. We lead the integration of the mechanical systems into the projects on which we work, and we’re driven by a set of values and a common purpose — to create, enhance and sustain the mechanical systems we design and build. Innovation is built into every project we manage and every community we serve. At BMC, we will provide you support in an environment that allows you to grow and succeed. Come share your passion with us.
BMC is a place where you can put your innovative thinking and business skills into high gear and work alongside other motivated people. It's a place where you can apply your skills to some of the most challenging, interesting, and meaningful projects in Northern California. It's a place that values the diversity of our areas of practice and our people. It is what makes BMC a great place to work and grow.
We are an Oakland based company providing exceptional service specializing in plumbing, HVAC, prefabrication of plumbing/piping systems/HVAC systems, and the design of these systems. We also deliver Performance Contracting solutions.
Our projects include mixed use high rise, commercial high-rise, large residential apartment and condominium complexes, commercial buildings, hospitals, and airports.
Our 63,000 square foot headquarter facility is dedicated to our office, warehouse, and prefabrication shop. We are proud of our first-class prefabrication shop which allows us to be very competitive with our pricing.
BMC takes all necessary measures to insure a project's success and we strive to meet and exceed our client's expectations.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package: Medical, Dental, Vision, Accident, Critical Illness, LTD, Life Insurance, 401k plan, vacation, sick leave and paid holidays.
If you like being part of a friendly, fun, fast paced environment, please forward Resume / CV, project history, references and salary requirements.
Additional Information: This position requires a background check. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer.