Bronson Methodist Hospital Employee Reviews

I love my job at Bronson Methodist Hospital
Medical Secetary (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MISeptember 15, 2016
Love being part of a great organization. I work with the Hospitalist about a team of 140 Doctors and a office staff of 15. I have a passion for the medical field and started in 1980 when I graduated from High School. They have allowed me so many wonderful opportunities. I marvel at what a great job working at Bronson has been.
Pros
Cons
No Holidays NO weekends part-time 3 days a week with benefits
Great place to have a career
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MISeptember 10, 2016
Whether you are looking for entry level or want to join a winning Healthcare team, Bronson is the place to do it. Lots of opportunity for growth and challenges. Great atmosphere where employees have the voice and provide excellent patient care in every role.
Pros
Positive work environment, opportunity at all levels of employment.
Cons
Healthcare staffing shortage, high paced facility.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIOctober 2, 2016
Bronson was a great place to work. Like anywhere, a good manager makes all the difference. I was always being challenged to exceed to my maximum potential. Looking back on every yearly review, I surprised myself as to what I had accomplished that year prior.
Pros
Room for growth
Cons
Larger corporations=more politics
floor experience
Pediatric Nurse-med/surg floor (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 18, 2017
Workplace culture is very positive and upbeat. very friendly staff everywhere in the hospital.Bronson Hospital is a great place to work. You learn a great deal and it gives you good experience in nursing.
Loved the experience
Nuclear Medicine Intern (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 9, 2017
Working for this company was very rewarding. I enjoyed coming into work and participating with a great team. I learned that being a team player is very important for the success of the department.
Bronson has room for growth
ER Unit Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIOctober 20, 2016
I have been at Bronson for 11 years and there is much improvement that is needed. It is designed for doctors and nurses to succeed but those of us that want to go into another area of advancement are left hanging in the wind.
Administrative
Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 16, 2017
Poor work life balance. Leaders expect you to crank out work at a moments notice, often times expecting you to work 10 + hrs. a day compiling reports that then I have often seen either not used at all, or just given a glance and tossed.
It may depend on the department worked in, but 60+ hrs. a week are very common for me (salaried with no OT differential).
Many of the management I've come across have been unprofessional in that they will often times not answer email requests, or will simply ignore you.
Just about everyone I work with puts in 50-60 hrs a week without lunches, yet I have not heard any leader come and thank anyone for their hard work, or going above and beyond to complete projects or requests.
I have worked for multiple companies in the past in a management role, and would never consider this acceptable treatment of a coworker or subordinate.
That aside, Bronson is a growing hospital with a good future, but knowing all of this, I would not choose to work here as my first choice.
Pros
Nice healthcare benefits, 401K, good future
Cons
Poor worklife balance, not much thanks
professional and caring work environment
Patient Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MINovember 28, 2016
I love my job, caring for people is my passion. My coworkers are amazing and really care about the wellbeing of their patients.
Amazing place to work!
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MISeptember 18, 2016
I had a personal bad experience with working for Bronson. This would never hold me back from telling someone else to go work for that amazing hospital. I loved my job and would go back if I could.
Pros and Cons
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIOctober 15, 2016
Great work environment, excellent compensation for your time, poor benefits. Difficult schedule when you need a day off. Hard to get someone to cover a shift.
Diverse and fun place to work.
Food Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 25, 2016
Department management was great, very friendly and understanding.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to serve food to patients and see their face light up. I learned the layout of the hospital, and some medical terminology. I also learned to be patient and always sensitive because you never know the type of room or situation you're walking into.
We thought our jobs were secure until a mandatory meeting!
Transcription Editor (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MISeptember 14, 2016
Mandatory meeting announced we would be without a job in approx. 4 weeks. No forewarning. Unit positions "sold" to an outside company. Out we went with no training or assistance to morph back into the hospital setting. NOTE: We were all over 50! Outside company now handles very sensitive material that was once the hospital's employees' responsibility! Rumor is that these confidential records are now being handled in India!

Overall, our unit had a great supervisor. I worked with a great group of people; we loved our jobs. If asked to work overtime, we'd drop everything to do it. We were loyal employees. Bronson was not loyal back to us...most of us had worked in our positions for over 20 years!

Don't get me wrong, Bronson is a great hospital, but the hospital is its people...physicians, nurses, technicians, right down to the cafeteria workers and the environmental services staff....all great people. Management, however, leaves much to be desired. Awards are much more important to management than its employees!
Pros
Great staff. Poor management.
Cons
NO job is SAFE!
good benefits
LPN (Current Employee) –  Portage, MISeptember 27, 2016
Bronson has a great benefits package, with lots of employee perks and good insurance. I have enjoyed working for bronson for almost 6 years now in various roles.
High stress training
PRN training (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 14, 2017
I hired in to train for Patient registration. The training process was very challenging as they were rewriting the training software program to combine the one they currently used with ones that medical companies they purchased were using, the software was changing daily after two weeks when I was put out on the floor to work, they were using another software (had not been switched over to what I trained on yet) And the hospital had just purchased another medical facility that was using another software program, that I did not have a sign-on to use. I had to learn all the different types of insurances and what they covered as well as all the medical acronyms and what to ask the patient for, while trying to learn on the fly, the in use software. My trainer was always in a hurry and would not give me the time I needed to complete a registration without taking over, claiming I was keeping the patient at the counter to long (registrations quotas were tracked). I was not permitted to take notes, she said it takes to long. My supervisor put me with a second trainer for two days and decided I wasn't going to meet the time requirements they established for training, quantity and efficiency.
Pros
Good pay and benefits.
Cons
High Stress, no uniformity in the software programs
Discharge planner for NICU/High Risk OB/OB floor
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 14, 2016
Worked close with families of medically fragile infants. Worked with community resources in coordinating the needs of the family/patient at home. Also became familiar with Insurance requirements for discharge planning. Sometimes the insurance restrictions added some challenges and difficulties to my role. Enjoyed working with the families/patients and community resources in getting the patient home.
Worked with competent well education staff. Provision of quality patient care on Cardiac Unit.
Staff RN (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 23, 2016
Worked 7a-7p. assessmenat and evaluation there needs, I learned ACLS skills, already had telemetry experience from prior work with cardiac patients. Care of Pre and Post Cath lab patients. pulled sheaths, continuous observation of wound site for complications, Check telemetry monitors frequently for changes, notify physicians of patient changes, Medications, education on uses and side affects. Educations for disease process. Staff worked well together. The unit could be very busy, had to be flexible to make sure everything was done. Documentation on computer, check labs
Pros
Paid well, Staff got along well with each other, safe environment
Cons
12 hour shifts
Solid place to work
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 12, 2016
I began my nursing career at Bronson and appreciate all of the excellent experience and clinical contacts. They are a wonderful place to work but difficult to advance unless one belongs to a specific elite group. I left there to seek more experience and I got it at Borgess and Spectrum.
Bronson gave me an excellent opportunity to use my skills in phlebotomy
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIOctober 2, 2015
The most enjoyable part of my job as a phlebotomist was the challenge. Every client/patient is different, and it takes a certain "touch" to be a good phlebotomist. I very much enjoyed patient contact, making people feel comfortable and safe, while doing the best draw possible, Bronson helped me learn and improve my skills so that I was self confident in any situation.
Pros
Trust in employee skills
Cons
Under staffing
Well run hospital system.
Registered Nurse, General Medical Unit (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIDecember 10, 2015
Fair compensation, plenty of opportunities to advance. Staff has a voice, is made to feel appreciated. This was an excellent place to work, especially as a new nurse. Patient/nurse ratios at a safe level.
This hospital gave me the opportunity to learn a lot about my job and working with people.
Medical Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJuly 24, 2015
Bronson Hospital was a very good stable employment experience for me. I worked there from 1979 to approximately 1994.
During that time I learned medical terminology through classes taught at the hospital, out-patient registration for several hospital clinics, medical billing for several areas of the hospital.
The hardest part of the job was to stay within the guidelines of medical and social review.
Most of my co-workers were easy to work with and I was able to learn from them.
Most enjoyable part of job was knowing I was in a safe place to work with wonderful training and management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bronson Methodist Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2