BronxWorks Employee Reviews in United States

Interaction with Students
Counselor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 26, 2016
I enjoyed working at BronxWorks because of the younger children I worked with and I got a glimpse of what it was like to be a teachers aid. I learned how too interact with smaller children and teach them without telling them the answers to the questions and providing them with tools to help solve problems. I was not only a camp leader but i also tutored the children and read to the students each day. Working at a school and having to watch over thirty little people on a field trip was a quit a handful. I didn't enjoy the older staff on the job because they would talk down and would teach us or treat us like we were actually a coworker they treated us like the children we worked with and talked down to us. But aside from not being really respected by the older staff in the school it was worth working in the job. The kids loved me and I really enjoyed seeing their face expressions everyday when they would see me and I would read to them and help them with homework.
Pros
Free Lunch (if of age)
Cons
Not being Respected by Staff
Not a great place to work
BronxWorks (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 16, 2016
I left the agency several months ago due to the culture of the organization. The agency does a great job helping and advocating for clients but does not afford the same treatment to staff members. Upper management is so far removed from the needs of their staff and the utilization of self-care during work hours is foreign to the agency. If you would like to be employed in an agency that mirrors a dictatorship, then it would be a great fit.
Client focused Company
Health Home Care Manager (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 19, 2016
Client focused Company.
Would benefit from additional benefits and better management in order to avoid employee burnt out.
Supportive
Senior Case Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 28, 2016
BronxWorks is a great place to work. My coworkers are friendly and hard working. Social work is not easy but I get plenty of support from BronxWorks.
Enjoyable place to work
Assistant Program Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 22, 2016
I enjoy working at Bronxworks but I would like to have more client contact. I supervise a team of 16 case managers and would like to more involved in the day to day lives of the clients.
Fun and Productive workplace
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYFebruary 23, 2016
It was fun and I learned a lot. I got to know my co-workers and the kids I work with. I learned how to be a better leader and how to create my own workshops. I enjoyed going on trips with the kids and just teaching and showing them new things.
Pros
Trips
Cons
1 month
Informative and fun workplaces with mentors that helped propel my life in the right direction
Cashier / Gardener (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 23, 2016
Was an overall great experience learned lots of interpersonal skills with the supervisors/adults in their facilities and felt welcome to be part of the team.
Cons
Short lunch breaks.
Productive work environment with an intense caseload
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 11, 2016
A typical day at work would include managing a caseload along with assisting intakes who are not on caseload. Generally, in the morning each case managers obligation is to assist clients who are on medication management and to then complete a progress note after each medication management training (MMT) session that is completed. Once medication is completed we have a daily morning meeting with all staff. Usually, the objective of the week is to complete filing, progress notes and service plans and to help clients compose of the necessary documents for a housing package. At this company, I have learned how to effectively listen and communicate well with both staff and clients. I have learned how to maintain a professional relationship while keeping boundaries with clients. I have learned how to create safety plan assessments for clients who are on the verge of committing suicide or harming themselves or another individual. I have learned how to assist clients with medication management training while seeing them graduate from the program after learning their medication regimen. I have completed outreach for clients who are chronically street homeless/ severely mentally ill. Site management is flexible with team members. Coworkers are nice to work with, each worker provides professional support to all staff members. The hardest part of my is watching people give up and leaving the facility without seeking the full services that the facility provides. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that I have assisted a client with a life changing experience of being in their  more... own apartment and helping them get through traumatic experiences. It is a great feeling to know that I have helped someone go from being chronically street homeless to housing in a supportive unit/ scattered housing.  less
Pros
Good client/ case management professional relationship
Cons
No Overtime/ No bonuses and raises/
Productive and Professional place to work
Grant Accountant & Accounts Payable Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 5, 2016
The day started from 9 am to 5pm,I sit my desk and divide my work by two segment which is morning and afternoon. I prioritize to finsh the pending work in the morning. Then, I take my lunch break. In the afternoon, I overview my daily task and try to finish by the deadline.

I have learnt budget, budget preparation, budget modification, projection,invoice creation, submitting the Invoice, Government-Foundation-Corporation- Federal Grants, Accounts Receivable, Accounts Paybles, Reconcileation, Journal Entries etc.

The Hardest part of the Job is to resolve the inquires that came from the Program Department and it need lots of analysis. Most interesting thing is I love this Hardest part.
case manager (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 2, 2015
Entry level positions at this organization will provide an individual with the necessary skill set to continue a career in Social Work. Direct interaction with the marginalized provides exposure that all social workers can benefit from.

Want to know more about BronxWorks?

Ask a question
Fast Paced
Community Coach (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 12, 2015
Glad I had the opportunity to learn some life lesson while working at Jobs-Plus at Bronxworks. Most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with different people during outreach. I have made valuable connections that have lasted even though my time as an outreach worker has ended. All in all, I can say it prepared me for a bigger and better future, in what I hope is a wonderful career in working in a non-profit setting
nooo
Receptionist (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 7, 2015
Rate this company
*required
Overall rating*
Fun and Busy day!!
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 5, 2015
I reached the Classroom about 7:40 Once I got in the classroom, I started to clean the tables put down the chairs. Then organized the classroom and Welcome the parents and the children with a big smile on my face and always saying good morning and before the parent leave, I used to tell them I hope you have a good day. After that my day was so busy teaching, feeding, playing dancing and having fun with the little ones in Room # 1.
Intriguing
Young Adult Internship Program (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYOctober 27, 2015
I enjoyed taking a new leap and step towards this company. They taught me many new things. I wouldn't mind taking this career more seriouslyif given the opportunity.
Pros
Being able to work together, helping each other out.
Cons
staff
Great place to learn
Social Work Intern- Case Manager (Former Employee) –  bronx nyJune 10, 2015
I was a social work intern at the Living room site. I had a great experience and was sad to leave. The staff worked as a team along with management.
Horrible.
Preventive Case Planner (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 13, 2015
The Family Enrichment Program (Preventive) is horrible. There is a huge divide between the staff and the supervisors/ directors. They pile work on the case planners and do not take into consideration any suggestions or complaints given by the case planners. There is a huge turn over and burn out rate. They generally do not care for the case planners who are out doing the actual difficult work.
Pros
The pay is nice for a non for profit.
Cons
No support whatsoever from higher management staff.
Productive and fun workplace
Senior Counselor (Current Employee) –  Bronx,NYFebruary 12, 2015
Waking up and going to work, knowing that you love your job is an amazing feeling. Being able to communicate with your co-workers without any drama or conflict is also something that I didn't have to deal with when entering the workplace. Everyone was very professional and cooperated well as a team.The hardest part of the job would be dealing with the different personalities of the students. As time goes by , you get to learn each and everyone of the students and they even begin to get closer to you and trust you. My boss is very understanding and flexible . Shes a big help when it comes to the difficult students as well. Overall, My co-workers and I are a great team and I'm proud to be an employee of Bronxworks.
BronxWorks
Senior Counselor (Current Employee) –  1130 Grand Concourse Bronx NYDecember 9, 2014
A typical day at BronxWorks is picking the children up, feeding them dinner, then teaching them either a life skill value, or math, reading, and design squad. My co- workers were a great help when it came to dealing with the children. There are about 65 children and no one worker can handle all of them alone.
Fast Paced
Housing Specialist, HS (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 4, 2014
Job enviornment consists of multi tasking and very fast paced environment.
Good learning experience in contract management
ACCOUNTANT (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 21, 2014
This is a nice working place. However, there is no much room for gorwth.
Pros
easy commute, nice work life balance
Cons
no groth prospects

BronxWorks Reviews by Location