BronxWorks Employee Reviews

Did not enjoy it
SYEP (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 15, 2016
I learned about ways to help and develop our communities better for disaster preparation and environmental protection. I worked for about 20 hours a week. Most of my co-workers were about a year or two younger making it unenjoyable because they acted immature. I enjoyed most trying to help prepare the community better. My bosses were very flexible and cool.
Pros
easy work
Cons
people were too immature
Director of Operations
Director of Operations, Salary (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 15, 2016
Oversee the daily work of 7 maintenance staff including Building Superintendent. Work with vendors, order supplies, maintain staff hours schedule on ADP, monthly inspections, reports, troubleshoot unit issues, etc. Excellent benefits. Challenging position.
Benefits
Cons
Difficulty with age of building. Water damage.
KidsThere made me happy to help them and come to work everyday.
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYOctober 23, 2016
I learned To Be energeic,and to always stay fcoused and to do my job.
My co works were great so nice and comforting.
management wasunorangized
hardest part was dealing with all the disoranganization
I enjoyed being with the kids, doing activities with them making them smile.
Good Place to Work
Quality Assurance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYAugust 23, 2016
The organization provides amazing services to the individuals in the community. They truly aim to fulfill their overall mission and goal. Through this organization, I have gained tremendous knowledge of the social services field and I believe what I have learned will help me excel in my career moving forward.
Pros
Staff appreciation events, 401-K plan
Cons
Healthcare benefits, Lack of teamwork agency wide
Great place to work, friendly environment
Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYOctober 13, 2016
The hours were convenient & So was the pay & the working environment was friendly we had hour breaks & my relationships with co-workers was very cordial & welcoming
Pros
Everything was great
Cons
Nothing was bad
Productive and fun workplace
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 3, 2017
Great staff. Consistent case flow. Dynamic environment. Good support from management. Opportunities for growth. Several locations throughout the Bronx
Not a great place to work
BronxWorks (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 16, 2016
I left the agency several months ago due to the culture of the organization. The agency does a great job helping and advocating for clients but does not afford the same treatment to staff members. Upper management is so far removed from the needs of their staff and the utilization of self-care during work hours is foreign to the agency. If you would like to be employed in an agency that mirrors a dictatorship, then it would be a great fit.
It depends on the department on how your work experince will be
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 10, 2016
BronxWorks offer great paid and benefits and there is room for growth. The major issue is the higher ups. I've seen first hand how some have taken advantage of their staff and mistreat staff. Those in higher position misuse they power and they will look out for each other if you make a complaint to HR. Most pressure staff to meet a quota and if you not meeting numbers , your basically consider not to be working. They don't care of real life expectations they set high demands for things that are not possible.

For example. If you apply to be a case manager within the health home department, each case manager is assign anywhere between 40 to more cases. How is that even possible for one person to reach and provide services for that many people in a monthly basis.
Interaction with Students
Counselor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 26, 2016
I enjoyed working at BronxWorks because of the younger children I worked with and I got a glimpse of what it was like to be a teachers aid. I learned how too interact with smaller children and teach them without telling them the answers to the questions and providing them with tools to help solve problems. I was not only a camp leader but i also tutored the children and read to the students each day. Working at a school and having to watch over thirty little people on a field trip was a quit a handful. I didn't enjoy the older staff on the job because they would talk down and would teach us or treat us like we were actually a coworker they treated us like the children we worked with and talked down to us. But aside from not being really respected by the older staff in the school it was worth working in the job. The kids loved me and I really enjoyed seeing their face expressions everyday when they would see me and I would read to them and help them with homework.
Pros
Free Lunch (if of age)
Cons
Not being Respected by Staff
Can gain useful career training at this organization
YOUTH DEVELOPER (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 2, 2016
the day is a toss up between fun management, healthy life style, and business savvy coworkers. you can really learn a lot here
Productive and Professional place to work
Grant Accountant & Accounts Payable Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 5, 2016
The day started from 9 am to 5pm,I sit my desk and divide my work by two segment which is morning and afternoon. I prioritize to finsh the pending work in the morning. Then, I take my lunch break. In the afternoon, I overview my daily task and try to finish by the deadline.

I have learnt budget, budget preparation, budget modification, projection,invoice creation, submitting the Invoice, Government-Foundation-Corporation- Federal Grants, Accounts Receivable, Accounts Paybles, Reconcileation, Journal Entries etc.

The Hardest part of the Job is to resolve the inquires that came from the Program Department and it need lots of analysis. Most interesting thing is I love this Hardest part.
Fun and Productive workplace
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYFebruary 23, 2016
It was fun and I learned a lot. I got to know my co-workers and the kids I work with. I learned how to be a better leader and how to create my own workshops. I enjoyed going on trips with the kids and just teaching and showing them new things.
Pros
Trips
Cons
1 month
Enjoyable place to work
Assistant Program Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 22, 2016
I enjoy working at Bronxworks but I would like to have more client contact. I supervise a team of 16 case managers and would like to more involved in the day to day lives of the clients.
case manager (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 2, 2015
Entry level positions at this organization will provide an individual with the necessary skill set to continue a career in Social Work. Direct interaction with the marginalized provides exposure that all social workers can benefit from.
Client focused Company
Health Home Care Manager (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 19, 2016
Client focused Company.
Would benefit from additional benefits and better management in order to avoid employee burnt out.
Informative and fun workplaces with mentors that helped propel my life in the right direction
Cashier / Gardener (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 23, 2016
Was an overall great experience learned lots of interpersonal skills with the supervisors/adults in their facilities and felt welcome to be part of the team.
Cons
Short lunch breaks.
Fast Paced
Community Coach (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 12, 2015
Glad I had the opportunity to learn some life lesson while working at Jobs-Plus at Bronxworks. Most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with different people during outreach. I have made valuable connections that have lasted even though my time as an outreach worker has ended. All in all, I can say it prepared me for a bigger and better future, in what I hope is a wonderful career in working in a non-profit setting
Fun and Busy day!!
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 5, 2015
I reached the Classroom about 7:40 Once I got in the classroom, I started to clean the tables put down the chairs. Then organized the classroom and Welcome the parents and the children with a big smile on my face and always saying good morning and before the parent leave, I used to tell them I hope you have a good day. After that my day was so busy teaching, feeding, playing dancing and having fun with the little ones in Room # 1.
Supportive
Senior Case Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 28, 2016
BronxWorks is a great place to work. My coworkers are friendly and hard working. Social work is not easy but I get plenty of support from BronxWorks.
Horrible.
Preventive Case Planner (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 13, 2015
The Family Enrichment Program (Preventive) is horrible. There is a huge divide between the staff and the supervisors/ directors. They pile work on the case planners and do not take into consideration any suggestions or complaints given by the case planners. There is a huge turn over and burn out rate. They generally do not care for the case planners who are out doing the actual difficult work.
Pros
The pay is nice for a non for profit.
Cons
No support whatsoever from higher management staff.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BronxWorks. Our community is ready to answer.

BronxWorks Reviews by Location