Brookdale Senior Living Inc. Employee Reviews

WAS a great place to work
Caregiver (Former Employee), Brighton, COAugust 27, 2015
Pros: free lunches
Cons: No motivation to succeed, and high stress on QMAPs
Work ethic is everything. When no one on the team, including the hiring staff are lazy, everyone is. There is no motivation to the working team, and many repercussions if you make a mistake.
ok place to work
Charge Nurse (Former Employee), Gig Harbor, WAAugust 24, 2015
Pros: enjoyed interacting with seniors
Cons: very political and no moral courage from management
management did not always have employees best interest regarding workload and workplace cohesiveness. too much preaching and not enough leading by example.
I LOVE this work ... so much that I do it as a volunteer!
Alpine Senior Living - Resident Volunteer (Current Employee), Eugene, ORAugust 24, 2015
I love this work ... that is why I have continued to do it as a volunteer since my husband passed away and I had to move. The residents care very much for me and daily thank me for all that I do to make the community more inviting. It has it's problems for sure, but I would move back in a minute if I was able to (rent is too high for me without my husband's income). This really isn't work for me -- it is purely FUN!
Temp work order taking
Resident Programs Assist. (Former Employee), Chandler, AZAugust 22, 2015
Pros: I enjoyed the atmosphere and the co workers that I had
Cons: it was a temp seasonal position
Temporary Holiday help ( seasonal )Assisting customers with
all online Macy’s and Bloomingdale orders, advancing gift cards and credit card holders. Problem
solving issues with gift cards and charge cards. Answering inbound calls for Holiday purchases and
returns.
Fun workplace
Licensed Practical Nurse/Resident Care Coordinator (Current Employee), Sparks, NVAugust 22, 2015
excellent place to work...excellent place to work...excellent place to work..excellent place to work....excellent place to work...excellent place to work...
great
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), West Palm Beach, FLAugust 20, 2015
Pros: great place to work
Cons: wish is was permant positions
They always had a job for me! I just couldn't do anymore assignments because of school and then a food a steady job! I couldn't juggle to much!
Rarely Worked
Personalized Living Assistant (Former Employee), Lexington, KYAugust 17, 2015
Pros: The residents are very enjoyable
Cons: No hours
A lot of the employees are negative, not many available hours, required monthly meetings to discuss issues that are probably never going to get fixed and manager is all about money when it comes to the resident care. Oh and never sign up to work floor shifts, you have to clock out for every 30 minute break which makes a 6 hour shift a 3.5 hour shift.
Busy Day at Work
Certified Medication Technician (Current Employee), Conway, SCAugust 14, 2015
Come in and count all Narcotic meds in cart, sign off and take keys from morning med tech. Read shift report of what has happened in the previous shift, note any different/new med orders. Fax doctors for requests, write in new orders, make one round to see residents and ask any questions. Hand out duties to the 3-4 resident assistants that work with me. Answer phone calls always, and room pages. Start – more... pre dinner med pass at 4pm to 5pm. Pass dinner and collect plates. Start put downs at 630pm. Start bedtime med pass 715-730pm till around 830pm. Do any paperwork from earlier. Help the one remaining resident assistant who remains with me till 11pm with any duties on the floor, such as, changes, restroom duty, dressing, basic resident assisting. Count with on coming med tech and hand keys over.

The most enjoyable part of my day is the constant interaction with the residents, the daily love they show me. Getting to know their families and booming a family with them yourself. The resident/patient always comes first.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with the hospice patients and having to administer comfort meds to a person you have grown close with over the years. – less
Productive workplace
dietary aid (Current Employee), richmond,vaAugust 14, 2015
The work environment was plesent and enjoyable to be around. The job is very flexible towards your personal life. I give them a thumbs up
Brookdale
Recruiting Coordinator (Current Employee), Brentwood, TNAugust 14, 2015
I think Brookdale as a whole is a good company to work for. The time off for hourly employees is the worst I have ever been offered. I think they could do a little bit more for their employees now that they are such a large company.
Care
Medical Assistant/Caregiver/ Server (Current Employee), McMinnville, ORAugust 13, 2015
Pros: Fullfillment knowing that people are getting taken care of
Cons: Can be overwhelming at times.
When I go into to work I realize that it is not going to be the same as it was yesterday. I know that everyday comes with challenges. Some days have more than others. But my favorite part about caregiving is knowing that I make an impact on individuals. People that are not able to take care of themselves. I try to go beyond what is expected of me. I enjoy talking to each resident. When I care for them I always think, how would I want to be treated and cared for if I needed help. I take this job very serious. I believe that this residents are all unique and should be treated that way. I went into nursing because I think I can make an impact on people.
A Certified Nursing Assistant looking forward to making each patient smile .
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee), High Point , NCAugust 12, 2015
I enjoy making people happy , making residents feel comfortable , and putting a smile on each and every one of their faces .
Great Company
Hunt Club Associate (Current Employee), Coatesville PAAugust 12, 2015
Brookdale is a wonderful company to work for and there is plenty of room to advance. The problem with Brookdale is many individuals who are hired stay until they retire, this is a good thing for them but for any one who desires their position, grab a seat and wait your turn.
specifically in the Dining Department management comes and goes very quickly.
If your an experienced RN, don't bother!!! The hourly rate is insulting!!!!!!
RN, job seeker (Former Employee), Lake Port Square, Leesburg, FloridaAugust 8, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: Hard, fast-paced work, for peanuts
Beware, this is a billion dollar company and growing, but they do not invest in their employees. RN hourly rate is ridiculous(25.00) and the CNA(10.00) rates are just over minimum wage. You would be better off working at Aldi, their cashiers make 12.50 an hour for ringing up food.
Mission and Vision are lost at provider & community level
Sales & Marketing Director (Former Employee), Ocala, FLAugust 7, 2015
Cons: Long hours, extreme expectations, negative reinforcement
Brookdale Senior Living as a company may be appealing, however when you're on the community level the impression and experience is extremely different.

The community directors lack support from their regional and divisional directors. As a sales and marketing director, it was routine to go several days after leaving a message for a return phone call, to respond to an email and texts were often ignored. – more... The Sales & Marketing position can be a very rewarding position, however, it requires 70 hour work weeks, weekends and evenings. The care staff must live up to the guarantees made to the families you are working with, and staffing is always an issue due to low pay, poor morale and heavy workloads and expectations.

It's all about the numbers. They are not concerned with how you get your leads and will encourage questionable business practices to get them. – less
Upbeat friendly enviornment
Medication Technician/Supervisor in Charge (Current Employee), Burlington, NCAugust 7, 2015
Fun, upbeat work environment. Good at putting the residents needs at the focus. There is a lot of red tape and hoops to jump through but it is a corporation. Not much in house advancement observed, most open positions are filled by outside applicants.
Good place to work if you love old people
Server (Current Employee), Austin, TXAugust 7, 2015
Prepare dining area for residents to eat...Try to make it as enjoyable as possible. All our servers work well as a team. The best part of my job has been getting to know all our residents
Only as a last resort would I recommend someone to work here.
Resident Assistant (Current Employee), Cleveland, TNAugust 6, 2015
Pros: Residents are sweet.
Cons: Pay, insurance, and management is horrible.
I've worked for this company for a few years. The only reason I am still at this company quite frankly is because I can't find anything else, and I need a job. The management is the worst! They don't help out with anything. Most of them sit in the office and talk all day. Then get mad at the staff when everything isn't perfect. Things aren't done the way they should be unless State is about to come – more... in and do an inspection. Other than that they don't train the staff on how things are supposed to be done, then give us a crash course as soon as they find out they're having an inspection. The pay is horrible! They want you to do a lot for a little. Then if you ask for a raise for some reason they can't find it in their budget. However, I will say we get yearly raises. But those raises aren't really worth the effort of trying to get. You'll get anywhere from 0.03-0.25 as a raise. The food is horrible. They say they serve gourmet style food, but you could find better food at the buffet down the street. Not because of the cooks here, but because the quality of the food they have to order is horrendous. They do have staff appreciation, once in every blue moon, all you get outta that is a bag of candy and a thank you note. They really don't appreciate their staff, at least it doesn't feel like it. And as far as scheduling goes, you don't have set days off. The days you get off vary from week to week. Which to me makes no sense. If you even mention looking for another job your hours get cut. That's not right especially when they pay you next to nothing. One good thing I can say about this company is that no matter what you do they won't fire you. They'll just cut your hours until you decide to quit. Only thing I love about this place is the residents. They brighten my day. They become like family. If I knew then what I know now about this place I never would have put in an application to work here. – less
Rewarding Environment, Difficult Circumstances
Resident Programs Manager (Former Employee), Wilsonville, ORAugust 5, 2015
Pros: Great coworkers, friendly and caring environment
Cons: Lack of job security
A very rewarding environment taking care of senior citizens.
Focus on people, not bottom line (until it crept up on you).
Most difficult part was resident's families. Some were very enjoyable, some will try to get you fired. Unfortunately corporate is still going to bend to the will of the money, so getting a fair deal in those situations may not happen.
lackluster not worthy if looking for a steady job
Dishwasher/ housekeeper (Current Employee), Plymouth beach, maAugust 4, 2015
Pros: Pay is okay, some staff members are good, residents are good
Cons: some of the other staff are lazy, not very smart, unreasonable at times, and tend not to listen what you try to tell them and some staff are unreliable
As a current employee this company really lacks a good working environment. They choose favoritism over getting things done in a timely and correct manner. They chose not to hire people when they have positions open. If a dishwasher breaks or anything else they wait until it might as well be too late.
Headquarters