Brookdale Senior Living Inc.

Brookdale Senior Living Inc. Employer Reviews

Brookdale
Lead Resident Assistant (Current Employee), Owatonna, MNJuly 17, 2014
Pros: getting to know families, being able to make a difference in someone's day.
Cons: no pay increases.
I work in a secured memory care house. I enjoy working with memory care. I assisted with 5-7 residents in a house with 26 beds. The most hardest part of the job would have to be seeing the residents confused through out the day and not having the correct words to always comfort them. I handle behaviors almost daily with some residents and I have learned – more... to be patient with assisting residents with daily activities. I love being there for the residents on a daily basis. Knowing that even though they are confused and unsure about what is going on around, knowing that I am there to help me that see that smile or even have a small conversation with them makes up for the hard times through out the shift. – less
Wonderful caregivers and residents
Community Liaison (Former Employee), Tucson, AZJuly 15, 2014
Pros: caregivers and residents
Cons: no cons great communities
Touring families explained features and benefits, Marketing hospitals, worked well with Hospice, Home Health. Great and beautiful community
Great place to work as part of a team and build lasting relationships with coworkers and residents
Server, Host, Line/Prep Cook, Busser, Dishwasher (Former Employee), Menifee, CAJuly 11, 2014
Pros: willing to work with college students' school schedules, free lunch, friendly coworkers and community residents
Cons: relatively low pay
Brookdale Senior Living is a great place to develop skills in dining services as well as work as part of team in which every position is important. I worked there for 7 years and worked in almost every position available in the dining room and kitchen.
Fun friendly office environment
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 7, 2014
Pros: office environment
Cons: moved to milwaukee
This company closed most of its Chicago operations and moved them to Milwaukee, WI.
Chicago office was a very friendly productive place to work. There was a lot of work to get done but it was manageable.
Horrible!
Dining Room Manager (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCJuly 3, 2014
Pros: beautiful campus
Cons: see above.
I worked for Brookdale Senior Living the entire time I was a manager for them, however Brookdale "culture" wasn't fully in place until about three months before I turned in my resignation.

Brookdale Senior Living, rated the 5th worst place to work for, should be number 1. Starting with the treatment of residents. Brookdale "culture" is code for, profit. – more... So, if profit isn't being made, the resident suffers so the stock holders are left flush.

Under our previous culture, residents were treated to fantastic meals and could even submit their own recipes, something that really intertwined our entire campus, staff and residents alike. I was able to hold meetings, and manage the dining room in a restaurant style manner, as this was our goal. At rates starting at $3,800 a month and constantly increasing, I think that this type of treatment was what was expected at those rates. Each staff member in the Dining Room had the ability to get to know the resident and his or her preferences. Residents were constantly complimentary on how great the food and service was.

When Brookdale "Senior Solutions" came in, I became not only a working manager (ie, doing hourly jobs and going beyond my actual job responsibilities), but I was then made to cut 35% of my staff, offer less food choices, implement often times confusing management polices, and than constantly switching things around because our corporate leaders weren't happy with the policies they would make me put in place.

After several months of low staff morale, angered residents, and a general feeling of "we" weren't doing a good job; I turned in my resignation. There were many times where our Brookdalien (our "Brookdale Pro-Temp", someone who stays a week and changes everything and then leaves so the next person can come and change it again) would come into my office and talk about how "stupid" my staff members were. Not something I would tolerate from anyone about anyone else; I took pride on hiring bussers and cleaning people who had handicaps, so this was not something to bring to me in such a manner.

My reputation as one the best managers on campus, was quickly being ruined by things that were out of my control. I always met my numbers and always kept a good report with my managers.
"Brookdale Senior Solutions" was very surprised by me leaving, 6 months later I got a call to go back, as all the staff that they hired in replacement of other staff in my previous department, were terminated. You can probably guess what my answer was. – less
Great position with little advancement
CBO (Current Employee), Brentwood, TNJuly 1, 2014
Pros: great hours
Cons: limited advancement opportunity
I was able to work the hours I wanted which allowed for great work/life balance. I learned information to help advance my career. My team of management and co-workers were great to work with. Glass ceiling was evident from day 1.
Housekeeping at mountain view
Housekeeping (Current Employee), DenverJune 27, 2014
Cons: the pay sucks, service alignment, make you feel inferior
Don't work here your better off collecting unemployment. The people here think they are above you and every one think they are the boss
Enjoy the residents
LPN (Current Employee), Tavares, FLJune 17, 2014
I enjoy working with the elderly. The management is cooperative.
nice work place
Dietary Server (Former Employee), Ormond Beach, FLJune 12, 2014
loved the residents they were sweet
very laid back
friendly
pro/con
Concierge/Receptionist (Current Employee), Fort Worth, TXJune 9, 2014
pro:
ability to move up in the company
good management
nice residents
end of the year bonus
con:
worst part is losing a resident you have became friends with
gossip
pay
Family comes first
Dietary Server at Brookdale Senior Living (Former Employee), Farmington, MIJune 4, 2014
Pros: job security, holidays, the guest are amazing
Cons: low pay, drama
Working here was like always having family . There was always someone there to watch your back ,and someone there to stab you in it. There was a lot of drama here with fellow co-worker and the gossip wheel keep moving . But I loved the job security , my friends , the residence, and I love that if I ever needed a job Brookdale would always be my home.
awful
Executive Director (Former Employee), floridaJune 1, 2014
Cons: not able to think on your own
no support from management, unable to work independently, micro managed
Productive and a life learning experience.
Housekeeping Supervisor (Current Employee), Farmington Hills, MIMay 24, 2014
Pros: free lunch and healthcare
Cons: free lunch and healthcare:)
A typical day at work consists of short daily meetings to address any concerns, questions or complaints. In doing this I have learned that working together as a team even when we all do not agree on a particular way of handling a situation that rules and regulation are key factors at any job and we must follow protocol in order to be successful. The – more... management team worked effectively together when it pertained to the residents well being. There was not any particular part of the job that was hard. Some situations might have been a bit more challenging than others but there was nothing that I could not solve. The most enjoyable part of the job is when I am actually helping someone doing a task that requires some type of assistance and the joy and the appreciation that is recieved when the task is completed. – less
Decent Work Environment
Wait staff (Former Employee), Boulder, COMay 19, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: no break times at all
I loved working here, but the management was sub par at best. They were all over the place and there was no set schedules. Typical day at work was going in, setting up the food preparations, take orders, and deliver the food to the customers. We would then tear down the dining room and change the table settings as well as fold napkins for the next shift. – more... Co-workers were a little chatty, and gossipy. They were more worried about sitting in the back and gossiping then they were working. The job was simple but the seniors were the most enjoyable part. – less
Horrible Company to work for
RN (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXMay 16, 2014
Cons: middle and upper management
Management lied continuously to nurses and staff; unsupportive; micromanaged; I had several misconceptions and misunderstandings with them and would try to explain what I interpreted from a meeting or conversation, to only be chastised. Very stressful working environment with tons of office drama. When I first started I was an RN Field case manager – more... for home health, and then went to prn status. As a prn RN I loved my position, my patients, and coworkers. The ALF buildings I would visit were staffed with the best LVN's and resident care associates. I also was trained and worked for the home hospice and it was a beautiful experience. Unfortunately when I went into a full time office position, I realized very quickly that I had made a very bad mistake in choosing to work in the office setting. It was horrible. My team leader was such a mean person and a horrible mentor one on one. The nurse who trained me was sweet as pie. Two weeks into it, management changed our position, title and roles. This is where confusion and chaos really started. Conflicting information, I didn't know which supervisor to report to, no one would give me my evaluation (one supervisor said the other one would do it, and the other supervisor said the other one would do it). All the stress exacerbated health problems and I had to resign. I worked there for 3 and a half years. I was let go a few days earlier than my resignation date. None of the staff were ever told I was leaving, no good luck in your future endeavors, or thank you for your years of service. I was walked out of the office with my things like I was fired or had performed a crime. No good byes to my friends and coworkers. – less
good place to work
RESIDENT AIDE (Former Employee), Aurora, COMay 14, 2014
good place to work. great team members. they do promote you in company.
Ok place to work
Certified Nurse Aide (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INMay 5, 2014
It was a great first job for me. It was ok while I was there. I have nothing else to say.
Your coworkers make the day productive and their is a great balance of team work.
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLMay 3, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: sometimes you are not able to get a break. you aren't allowed overtime, you aren't allowed 40 hours a week, and the raises aren't the greatest.
You will assist the residents with ADL's, help with dining, do light laundry, and cleaning rooms.
A great company and plenty of downfalls.
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLApril 27, 2014
Pros: great career oppurtunites
Cons: management, drama and benefits.
I loved working for the company since I could switch into different departments and move up. Most of the time management sucks. I hated management based on them believing anything a person would say instead of hearing from all parties. I lost my job based on hear say and due to our relationship being an 'at-will employment'.
Very supportive family like environment.
Health and Wellness Director (Former Employee), Mansfield, OHApril 22, 2014
Pros: learned management skills in a supportive environment.
Cons: 24hr/7days a week call.
I learned management skills in this position. I was responsible for hiring and training staff. The regional management team provided 24 hr. support to assist with any needs. I learned how to manage and support a team. I enjoyed my position and the challenges it provided.

1 2 3 4 5

About Brookdale Senior Living Inc.

Over the brook, and through the dale to grandmother's house we go! Brookdale Senior Living operates assisted and independent living – Read more

Brookdale Senior Living Inc. Photos