Brookdale Employee Reviews

Brookdale Senior Living Work Day.
Server/Waiter (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILFebruary 7, 2016
My typical work day were pretty good and usually easy and very eventful in a good way, I worked during the week at first but had to switch to just weekends because I'm in college and they were understanding about it, I learned basic food service skills and always treat your elderly well because they have worked hard in there life. My manager at first was okay, but when time pasted she treated me differently than the rest of the people but she was kind of strict but I knew why she was because of high expectations and I understand. My second manager was so nice and sweet and I loved her. My co-workers were always nice to me and always laughing and making jokes and they were good people. The hardest thing was trying to get what the residents wanted exactly. The most enjoyable thing was seeing the residents happy and smile when I had conversations with me.
Pros
Flexibility Schedule
Cons
I worked extended weekends that I wasn't suppose to, and I only got a 10 cent raise after working a year and 3 months.
Enjoyed my position of Health and Wellness Director
Health and Wellness Director Sterling House I (Former Employee) –  Abilene, KSFebruary 7, 2016
I learned new requirements of the state, relating to Assisted Living, improved my management, skills, training, and working as a team with co-workers, to provide the best care in a home like setting. I learned how to communicate with therapies, requirement for therapies thru Medicare A/B.
I learned how to communicate with physicians with medical changes, medication side effects, increased understanding of lab results.
I enjoyed the connections made with residents, and there families, feeling like part of their family.
Management which I encountered was overall good and supportive, always there when there were questions.
Stressful
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boynton Beach, FLFebruary 6, 2016
You basically do everything from giving medication down to doing the dishes and mopping. Your a slave. Not worth it for the little pay.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
EVERYTHING
This facility is not an assisted living it is a total care facility that is understaffed/
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Port Orange, FLFebruary 5, 2016
I am anRN working for LPN wages that I agreed to. At first it was run more like an assisted living, but then the census got low and they started taking in residents that have no business being in an assisted living. They require skilled nursing, memory care, total assist. Well they filled the facility up but did not hire more staff. Out of 43 residents I have 31 eight o'clock med passes. Most of the time I work with only two RA'S and I have to assist them with their work, I have had to help serve dinner at 5 o'clock because the ra's are so understaffed which further puts me behind doing the med pass. Very little time to interact with residents. Also the budget for meals has been dropped to $5 per day per resident. Bad bad meals and they wonder why the residents are losing weight. I refuse to jeopardize my license so I pass meds at their right time, not all at once or during dinner. Yet I get harrassed by management about not taking lunches and punching out past my regular time. I am only part-time so I can't get over-time which is strictly forbidden. Many employees work through their lunches and punch out and continue to work. The ED is uncaring about any problems the staff may have and has actually blown me off at a meeting and I had a problem that needed a resolution. Supplies are another problem as we have to beg for gloves or we totally run out for the whole weekend. We get one box for 2 med carts. I am definitely looking for another job as Brookdale Port Orange is a lawsuit waiting to happen!
Pros
CO-WORKERS AND THE RESIDENTS
Cons
NO TIME FOR LUNCH BREAKS AND STILL BE ABLE TO PUNCH OUT IN TIME. ALWAYS UNDERSTAFFED
Great place
Server (Former Employee) –  Brandon, FLFebruary 5, 2016
Easy place fast pace serving elderly or attending their needs. Mangers are flexible with your schedule. you will see the loving environment with the residents. their are caring.
not a good place to work
Cook (Current Employee) –  Lexington, SCFebruary 5, 2016
I was the cook there and I enjoyed working with the old people there.
I would not tell anyone to work there they are not fair to their employee or the people who live there.
interpersonal resident relations
rn director of clinical services (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYFebruary 4, 2016
Brookedale allows a personal touch to the care of the senior populations. The company molds the function of the company around the needs of the residents.
Pros
free meals, flexible schedule
Cons
leadership changes
Fun and enjoyable
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 4, 2016
I had always had good days with the residents. I learned to be patient and respectful. Management was good, always answered and made sure you okay. Co-workers were nice and friendly, got along with them all. The hardest part is dealing with mood swings with the residents. I love talking to the residents and enjoying their company.
Retirement community
Licensed Vocational Nurse (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAFebruary 4, 2016
Overall the work environment is good, managment can sometimes bring on pressure. However I know their looking out for whats best for the company. Overall its not a bad place to work.
Do Not Work Here
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAFebruary 3, 2016
I worked with Brookdale a whole three weeks before I had enough. The work was incredibly difficult which would be fine if the wage was reasonable, the management didn't coordinate proper training or any follow up. I was talked down to and couldn't believe how unorganized a company, where residents live, was running. Incredibly understaffed. I met plenty of really great co-workers, but more than I'd like to admit were there only for the paycheck which is not okay in the health care field. Changes need to be made!
over worked under appreciated
Resident Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNFebruary 2, 2016
Working for this company was very stressful. We were constantly low on staff but yet they kept filling each room with residents but not enough people there to take care of them. I felt like a lot of the residents we not meant to be there, with us being a living assistant, they allowed so many elderly people to live that were too far gone to be there. Were they needed special care, instead of getting that they received half caring staff and half caring nurses who didnt listen to us when we reported change with the residents. I felt like the RCA were looked at as the bottom of the food chain, we were over worked and under appreciated. We were so under staff i was working 115 plus most of the time but always having to work over time cause there were so many open shift. I am talking 20 plus open shifts per pay check.
Family-Like Environment with many Growth Opportunities
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDFebruary 1, 2016
The typical day of work at Brookdale was fast paced but yet very enjoyable. One had the ability to interact with and get to know the residents as well as their fellow employees. The team members looked out for on another as well as for the well-being of the elderly. Overall, it was a enjoyable, educational experience.
Pros
Flexibility, Free meals
Cons
The manager was new to the position
it was fun but got picked on alot by a lady named sandra
server (Former Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXJanuary 30, 2016
its a lovely wokring enviornment , the seniors are very sweet and caring but the assistant manager picked on everyone and was always finidng something to complain about to us.
Worst Management
Emeritus (Former Employee) –  Mentor, OHJanuary 28, 2016
As a nurse I was disgusted at the poor management skills. The building was always short staffed and we were personally told that the reason being was that we were over $800,000 over budget and easiest way to get it back is to cut labor costs. I completely understand that, except this isn't a factory. These are living human beings who require attention and pay large amounts of money to be taken care of. If they want to cut costs I would highly recommend serving something other than lamb almost every day of the week for dinner or having salary employees pick up instead of offering overtime we can't afford. If family member had issues/concerns they were not dealt with within a timely manner and a lot of times were disrespected. It saddens me that this building has been driven into the ground by management. The residents deserve more. They shouldn't have to be worried because they're out of briefs or feel uncomfortable because the EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR interrogated a resident in her own room because she called the hotline on her. Unreal.
Pros
The nurses and caregiver are exceptional
Cons
The management, forcing employees to clock out for breaks despite having to work during that time, no free lunches
Residents Are awesome
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burlington, NCJanuary 27, 2016
Great place to work if you love working with seniors.
very rewarding management at the time not to great. short breaks
staff was awesome but there was a high turnover rate.
Pros
rewarding
Cons
management
Great Place to work.
Acting Activity Director (Former Employee) –  Golf Rd. Hoffman Estates, ILJanuary 27, 2016
A pleasant environment to work. I love working with elderly at the assistant living. Staff, management and volunteers are amazing to work with.
Pros
Nice and Clean facility
Cons
too far from where i live.
Executive Director review of Brookdale
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLJanuary 25, 2016
I accepted a position as ED of large independent living facility but quit after 10 months. The regional mgrs are horrible and the budgets given to the EDs make it impossible to provide proper care for the residents. The safety of the residents was always a concern and the community had many instances of theft as well as drug activity. Requests tor additional security or monitoring were denied. I realized that I gated my job after a month but kept on working until I could find another job. The pay for hourly employees is well below the industry standard and good employees will not stay due to the corp culture of profit. I would never place a loved one in any of their communities and strongly caution everyone. The stock price has tanked over the past year and corp is desperate to make more money.
Pros
Cons
Horrible treatment of employees and residents
Not for everyone
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVJanuary 25, 2016
I work graveyard two nights a week. You have to be very patient with the residents because some of them have advanced alzheimer's disease.
Poor Management.
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Davison, MIJanuary 24, 2016
I LOVE my residents and my co-workers, but the management is pathetic. Putting me on different shifts in one week is very hard; making it impossible to sleep at night, or at all.
Pros
The residents
Cons
management
Wonderful place to work
Executive Director (Current Employee) –  Ashland, ORJanuary 22, 2016
I love making a difference in the lives of those I serve. Bringing joy to the lives of seniors and being a part of a caring team if individuals is inspiring.

2.9