Brookdale Employee Reviews

Productive and fun workplace
Server (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MINovember 22, 2017
Brookedale is pet friendly.
Working with the elderly and disabled as a server give you the extra push you need to make sure to give good customer service because they are very precise with their needs.
Pros
Free lunch, time and a half, double time, holiday pay
Very negative management and employee environment
cook (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLNovember 21, 2017
Management will do whatever it wants to save a buck, including letting employees go at will for no reason. Managers are untruthful and self-serving. Employee culture is therefore also poor. I worked harder than anyone else in my department, and I was nevertheless treated very unfairly. I feel like I wasted years working there--all for nothing. I don't feel that the residents are properly taken care of, or that management is supportive of staff. It is all about the institution's bottom dollar, which comes first before employees or residents. I would never recommend that someone apply for a job there, or to put a loved one in a Brookdale facility. No integrity.
Pros
nothing
Stressful and understaffed
CNA (Former Employee) –  Coatesville, PANovember 20, 2017
Free lunches but poorly supervised staff. They would agree to change things to appease the employees and completely ignore it. Good bonus at the holidays
Cons
Poor management
productive
Kitchen Staff (Current Employee) –  Vero Beach, FLNovember 19, 2017
good place to work often challenging but overall a good first start on jobs it receives good reviews and the staff and you get free lunches and support when you need it
Love the residents, my coworkers not so much.
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salinas, CANovember 17, 2017
It started out good. But you have coworkers that are rude. They constantly talk down to you and treat you like poo. Then run to management before you can to make it seem like you're the bad guy. I loved the job and how happy my residents made me, but can't be happy with people breathing down my neck.
Pros
free meals
Cons
miserable coworkers
Love the residents
Resident Assistant (RA) (Former Employee) –  DeLand, FLNovember 16, 2017
You will fall in love with the residents.Management is HORRIBLE!!. Management will throw you under the bus to other co-workers.The pay is bad, no bonuses. Everyone wants to be the boss.The ED has no voice. She pushes her management team up to address the workers. They will tell you full time, every other weekend off. But soon as you start. They schedule you everyday. If you don't address it. Management won't answer phones. Will than tell you,you can't call out. Or you will be fired!!!! You could work with them,& they will treat you wrong.They have a high rate of ppl coming & going from the time I started. To the time I left. Also, they will put in a bad word for you. If you put them down for a reference.. but will tell you "SURE WE WILL GIVE YOU A GREAT", REFERENCE.. Residents pay a heft fee to live there,but their monies are being split between management. & Management under pay the co workers.but to some co workers they offer a .50cent raise.
Pros
Love the residents
Cons
Management, the pay
The seniors are great
Maintenance Director (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXNovember 16, 2017
Management were reluctant to fund the required upgrades. They mostly have good character but the finances dictate the direction.

It is unfortunate that CNA's are paid too little to prevent the high turn over rate.
HR Director (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 16, 2017
Although I was not there for long. It holds a special place in my heart. Servant Leadership is promoted and practiced by the Executive Director of Westlake Hills. The environment very embracing
Pros
Free Lunches, dedicated leadership, the mission
Cons
The wildlife: saw deer, coyote and a fox! Pay/benefits, distance from my home
Stressful Environment
Med-tech/Resident (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORNovember 15, 2017
The Executive Director doesn't know her residents and sells rooms before the resident has passed away. I would not recommend working her or putting family in here.
Resident care associate (Former Employee) –  Onalaska, WINovember 15, 2017
Brookdale was by far my favorite job I have ever had. The residents sure know how to make you feel wanted and put a smile on your face everyday as you do the same for them. working at brookdale made me realize how much of an impact I am on peoples lives.
A learning experience
Server (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 14, 2017
You have to be patient and understanding to work at Brookdale and I learned how to be through being a server. Its a fun place you learn about peoples lives.
Loved the residents, low pay
Health and Wellness Director/Director of Nursing (Former Employee) –  Russellville, ARNovember 14, 2017
I fell in love with the elderly population and with my job and co-workers. The manager was the problem. Very inconstant with staff and residents. Also, you wear alot of hats in the job i had and the pay was not even close to the level it should have been.
Pros
co workers, hours
Cons
money
Good experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Northridge, CANovember 13, 2017
I only worked there as a volunteer so I can't really comment on being employed there. However, everyone who worked there was friendly. I spent time just talking and hanging out with the residents there.
Difficult place to work due to poor management
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHNovember 12, 2017
I had a terrible orientation. There was not enough help, they were short staffed & my immediate supervisor had upteen things to do and was not physically present a lot. She was a working supervisor who spent much time traveling to different Brookdale communities in different counties. I had little support from upper management.
management
caregiver/housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Eugene ORNovember 11, 2017
manamgement changes every month no stability. they hired really sketchy poeple to take car of elderly. no displine unless the managment of that month didnt like you personaly
Any other company in the world is better
Cook (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 11, 2017
Brookdale is the worst company. They take advantage of seniors by making promises they can't keep. They are only concerned about market share price. They mete out very, very little of their income to keep the communities working at a safe level. At my community, they needed a written signature for any purchase over $100. Ridiculous! We had to go two years with a toaster that only toasted one side, they would not authorize us a new toaster until after two years of begging. The residents complained. Then, being an Emeritus community, they took away all our time saver products that the residents loved: frozen steaks that were delicious, frozen pies that were every bit as good as scratch, and especially potato pearls. We had to make all the side dishes from scratch, being only one cook, I had to make two entrees, two starches, two veggies, two sauces, salads, rolls, desserts, all by myself--the dietary aide had to monitor 24 tables(!!) by himself--serve juice, take orders, wash the dishes, bus the tables and reset the tables. Unbelievable.
Brookdale makes totally unreasonable demands, and then denies the resources to accomplish the goals. Especially the "anytime dining" concept with only one cook. So if someone comes in and asks for a meal in the middle of prep, that's something that cannot get done. And then Brookdale expects the DSD's to work also doing menial tasks and gives him a stupid amount of paperwork with stupid requirements, like taking temps of everything in the walkin every two hours, taking temperatures of the equipment every two hours, measuring the parts per
  more... million of the sanitizer every two hours. RIDICULOUS!!! Then after five years of hard work, I was rewarded with an hours cut equalling about $250 a month. Then the DSD asked me to clean more after cutting my hours so we would look good for state inspection. I said no, then I quit. Horrible, ruthless company and I feel so bad for the residents.
Very low pay, low hours, too many tasks for the position, unrealistic expectations, high-cost high-deductible high out-of-pocket insurance making it unusable, low morale, no teamwork, management isolates from labor, not enough caregivers, not enough nurses, not enough cooks, not enough dietary aids, no bonuses, pitiful, insulting 2% raises, no fun, no challenge, difficult
Pros
A paycheck and a parking space.
Cons
Sub-standard everything: pay, medical insurance high-cost high-deductible, low morale, short staffed, they get very angry when you call in sick
a good job for your first one
Server (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, FL 34748November 10, 2017
working at brookdale was nice. some of the staff were nice and others weren't. one of the bad things about this job is that there is a lot of drama with the employees.
Good starting job
Server (Former Employee) –  Seminole, FLNovember 10, 2017
Its a good first job but do not plan to stay there especially as a server. I worked there several years ago so I am sure a lot of things changed (I hope). The pay is laughable and very gossip fueled environment. Perhaps its a fun environment for teen but as an adult it can get annoying.
Fun place to work
Resident Care Provider (Current Employee) –  DeSoto, TXNovember 9, 2017
I enjoy my job working with the elderly, but pay is low and not enough hours not enough hours to live off of. There are no insurance benefits
or future retirement goals.
Horrible place to work
Patient Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, TNNovember 9, 2017
Management was awful! Micromanage all employees! They only promote the ones the go with gossiping about other employees ! Glad I am out if there! Never felt appreciated! Their training was awful!
Pros
Salary
Cons
Too much strees

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Brookdale. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9