Brookdale

Brookdale Employer Reviews

Hostile work environment
Manager (Former Employee), OhioJanuary 21, 2015
Bullying, hostility, dishonesty from upper management. Abuse of Medicare dollars. Would never recommend. The company is only worried about money, nothing else.
cheap,
sic mt cna (Former Employee), Statesville ncJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: it's pay check
Cons: sooo many
I worked at the Statesville brookedale I was a SIC (supervisor in charge) .MT(med tech) CNA their is a red dot system this mean once a week you will have a red dot by your name if a person calls out on the next shift an you are red dotte mean it s mandatory for you to work the next shift. No matter what!!! I only made 9.25 being supervisor while other people coming in made $10 their is a meeting about every week you get paid bi-weekly management is for themselves so always get a second person in the room while talking to them an double copies of any of your personal paperwork. Benefits are great but very expensive once all insurance an taxes come out my pay check is about 470 every two wk if I'm luckey
Awful place to be employed
Resident Aid /CNA/ Medications Technician (Former Employee), Moses Lake WA 98837January 17, 2015
Pros: it's a beautiful place to work and the residents are very sweet
Cons: no breaks, gossip, favoritism, no schedules, miss treated residents, management not reliable.
Schedule is never ready or on time you're your always wondering what you work the next week and the people are all gossipers everyone talks behind everyone's back. Residents call lights go off for long duration a of time they are always understaffed they ask you to do more than any one person is capable of. They don't pay well at all. You never get 40 hours. Management is rarely on site and if they are on site they aren't doing much. Residents get Miss-treated and ignored. Paper work is rarely in detail. Things that should be done don't get done example weighing our residents or feeding them on time. 2 person lifts turn into one person lifts because they are understaffed. They have people working for them that shouldn't be due to mental and physical fall backs (age, dementia, over weight) they have favoritism for some workers but not others. The rights of the residents are over looked. The medication technicians aren't certified or delegated. You never receive your breaks only lunches. I could go on and on but this should paint a decent picture of what your getting in to.
Horrible Management
Resident Assistant (Former Employee), PinehurstJanuary 17, 2015
Pros: friendly floor staff, free meals
Cons: management refused to put enough staff on the floor, underpaid
It would have been a great place to work if there was a management team in place that knew what they were doing. Filling up rooms and commission was the only thing on the Sales & Marketing director's mind. The Executive Director always claimed that she was 'unaware' of things going on in the facility. They would have staff on the payroll, however, they wouldn't let them work because it would 'cause Overtime to go up'. The company has very good principles, but they need to start over with fresh faces at the Pinehurst facility..
a responsible job
med tech (Current Employee), Clearwater, FLJanuary 16, 2015
everyday i would watch my residents , would help them with whatever they needed, provided them with their medication for their afternoon and night time medication, help them go to the restroom and shower and help them go to bed, it was a life changing experience
you will be treated better at McDonalds
DDS (Current Employee), SeattleJanuary 13, 2015
Cons: corrupt leaders trying to profit off seniors. lies and more lies.
Regional/Divisional/VP teams only care about the money and lack true Leadership skills and ability. Especially our VP of Sales and Marketing in the West she has no compassion or interest in the Elderly will walk right past them without so much as a head nod. Not that she leaves her CA home office much. She lacks the ability to coach, educate, or support anyone truly is only interested in numbers to make herself look good and be #1. Should have been a baseball coach not work with Seniors or be in the care industry. Her only claim to fame is "Thinking Big" book with false statistics she has paranoi and thinks everyone is lying and will spend weeks trying to prove something that isn't real. Be careful because her big headed minion in West will pretend to be your friend while plotting against you making up lies. She may have a soft voice but carries a big knife and will insert in your back. Sounds like a great job in the care industry? You will find more compassion at McDonalds seriously. Do you want this type of leadership caring for your loved ones?? Bank robbers have some ethics.
Overall great compensation and flexibility
Physical Therapist (Current Employee), Largo, FLJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: brookdale perks for discounts in many different companies
A very stable company that offers good job security. Servicing mostly geriatric population from independent living to hospice. The company provided great benefits and electronic devices for electronic medical records.
This corporation is a cheap, profit seeking JOKE!
RCC (Former Employee), Niskayuna NYJanuary 11, 2015
Pros: co-workers (non manager) and residents
Cons: lack of help to care for the residents, very low pay rates, no overtime, and lousy benefits. many more, too many to list
Where do I even begin? First of all, the cuts the facility has taken in staff since I started is not even feasible to run the facility. The care was lousy, but only due to the lack in help that was needed for this facility to be a so called "enhanced assisted living". The place and the corporation is a big JOKE! I have never worked for such a profit seeking corporation in my career of nursing. This place has even made me question myself even wanting to be a nurse anymore. Constant family complaints due to care and billing/fees etc. Every day was another negative day. ED can not run the facility, and does not care about the employees. You never get recognition for all of the hard work you do. Benefits, yes you would think would be good because the corporation is the "largest senior living in the US), no, they were terrible. Pay was very low. The aides who are so understaffed could make more flipping burgers at a fast food restaurant, and hey, maybe get better treatment from their manager. Staff have been paid under minimum wage, they want you to sign these ridiculous arbitration agreements, and talk or any mentioning of a union would cost you your job. Funny how a facility can charge these residents all of these fees to make the place "look nice" but when these residents get constant urinary tract infections because they have to wait over an hour for assistance with going to the bathroom due to 3 aides being on for 100 residents just does not sit well with me.. I could go on forever about the poor mess of this place. I know for myself, I could not get out of the place fast enough. – more... I could no longer sit back and watch some greedy corporate heads making money off of these people, and these people not getting the care they really deserve. I would NEVER put my parents in this place. I am just so thrilled to be done with the place, and I hope the the residents, and staff will eventually get the care they really deserve...maybe after the place is finished getting a new paint job and furniture..you know, sell, sell, sell! Keep those occupancy levels up! Hopefully the heating and cooling units do not need to be fixed seeing that I have personally received calls about the place being in collections! I mean really! JOKE! Stay away! – less
Unrealistic and greedy expectations
Sales and Marketing Manager (Former Employee), FLJanuary 10, 2015
Pros: coworkers at community level, training, residents
Cons: see description
Imagine a position where you spend 1/3 of your time on reporting, meetings and conference calls. With the remaining time in your week they expect you to meet referral sources, make calls to leads that that told you to stop calling months ago, and plan and carryout weekly events with no money or corporate/community support. Micromanagement does not begin to describe the direction you work under. Meetings and calls spend 90% of time on occupancy, revenue and net income, 5% celebrating success and the remaining time discussing resident care. Daily reports on leads that are consider "hot". Overwhelming amount of time spent analysing ways to get more money from residents by increasing their level of care and getting them to pay for incontinence program. Turnover at Brookdale is way above an already high turnover industry. When you are successful the regional team promises the moon, the minute your performance drops off slightly they bring in additional sales support.
Brookdale's expectations on management teams and Healthcare directors is absolutely a joke. Hours worked and quality of life mean nothing. Celebrating how low communities can cut costs at the expense of residents while driving up rates that residents pay.
The one thing that Brookdale does is prepare you to be successful in companies that actually try to live up to their "Cornerstones".
Horrible company. Would not recommend even to my worst enemy.
HEALTH&WELLNESS DIRECTOR (Former Employee), OKLAHOMAJanuary 10, 2015
Pros: a few loyal coworkers
Cons: management, backstabbing, overworked, underpaid, unappreciated, slander, unethical behavior
For a company which claims its serves with compassion, respect, excellence and integrity, the management team must not fully understand the meaning of those words. They raise prices for residents but fail to provide the residents with competent caring staff to provide the care which is being paid for. They abuse the employees verbally, emotionally, and physically by putting more on them than can be handled and put the residents at risk for injury and more. I would not work there again, or place my loved one in one of their communities.
Very hostile
Human Resources (Former Employee), OhioJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: none.
Cons: poor pay, send you home when census is low with no warning.
Management takes advantage of being an at will work state. Your ED doesn't like you, then you are gone. Progressive discipline be damned. Yes you will win your unemployment claim, but you are still out of work with a termination on your resume.
Horrible Place!
Maintenance supervisor (Former Employee), Stuart, FloridaJanuary 7, 2015
Director was great but the company (people in charge) SUCK! They don't care about the residents at all. They just want to fill rooms and overcharge! They treat the staff like animals. They wanted us to punch out and then finish our work. Horrible people!
Needs changes
LVN (Current Employee), Kerrville, TXJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: great nurses to work with
Cons: inconsistent computer functioning for charting, computer charting too cumbersome
Great nurses to work with, computer charting way too cumbersome taking away from floor nursing without enough time to complete both within shift time, electronics inconsistent in functioning for job performance, most residents accept you as family and very sweet. Patient care declining d/t electronics. Management high strung. Stressful environment.
Not a good place to work, if you want to advance!
front desk (Former Employee), Murrirta, CaJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: residents
Cons: poor mangment, no medical benifits, little pay, cut hours.
Very poor managed, executive director was the worst thing that could happen to this community! She has no heart, doesn't care about residents, but about money and numbers!!!! She doesn't ever want to talk to residents with concerns or families, all she does is sit down all day and shops on line, and have her family come in everyday and sit her her office for hours!!!! That should be personal time , not on company time! I heard her call our residents crazy and stupid. I was at this community for a few years and loved the residents, it's so sad that she treats residents and employees so poorly. This can be a great community, if they can just get a executive director and management that really cares about residents and families!
not a place to work
dishwasher (Former Employee), Colorado SpringsJanuary 2, 2015
Pros: coworkers
Cons: everything else
All management care about are them selfs and how they look when they are going to be tested on their work areas. The kitchen is nasty the bosses are nasty if you stand up for your self. No fun cant even joke to coworkers cause then they think your not working. They are trying to keep you on campus for lunch. If you have an emergency at home they will yell at you if you leave or write you up in a heartbeat. Worst place to work at! They dont care about there residents at all. Dont wast your time they are a laughing stock of a company.They like to talk about their employees like they are not living human beings. If you stand up for yourself the management will gang up on you and make you look bad so they can fire you.
Most hostile environment ever worked at in very long career
Nurse (Former Employee), Flint, MIDecember 30, 2014
Pros: residents and care staff
Cons: too many to list
I have never worked in such a negative, hostile, nasty environment where the upper management is so conveniently blind. You can even bring evidence to their attention and they turn a blind eye. Their Foundations are a joke because the company itself does not follow one statement of them.
This company is a sad commentary for senior living of today and sadly one of the largest. People are spending their life savings and not even getting a clean environment for their parent to live in. Your spending $5K per month for your parent's care and you even have to provide the toilet paper??? There are not enough characters allowed in this box for me to give you examples of how poor the regional management of this company is. It just proves my theory that pretty buildings are usually not about the care!
This company treats nurses like scum and wonders why they cannot even get an application sent in??? They don't really wonder and they do not care. It isn't about the money with me-I tried to be a voice for the staff and residents that need one and nobody was interested in listening to my point at the upper level. Poor commentary, but I have always recommended that children of adult seniors read the reviews of prior employees when researching a placement for their loved one.
I think that Brookdale Senior Living should be ashamed of themselves for their treatment of staff, residents and families because while lying is not against the law-it shows poor character.
I only wrote this after reading all of the other negative reviews that had some of the same experiences that I had at Brookdale, so that says it is a company culture-not disgruntled former employees.
Sounds like Gentiva Home Health
Care Team Coordinator at Gentiva (Former Employee), Rock Hill, SCDecember 28, 2014
Wow. I put in an application before I read all the reviews. Sounds very familiar and I choose not to work in this environment. Thanks for all the honesty. Who knows.. could just be the location. However, if you are a former employee here, I suggest not going to Gentiva for anything better. It all sounds good in the beginning doesn't it.
Great position but...
Activity Director (Former Employee), Farmington, CTDecember 22, 2014
Pros: great staff and residents
Cons: management
the Activity Department needed more support from our Executive Director to enrich the lives of our residents on a daily basis and in the most professional and high spirited way.
This community had THREE BUILDINGS.. that included Independent Living... Assisted Living and a Memory Care floor.
Only one Activity Director was assigned to all and that was me!

Three activity programs and calendars a month! I needed more assistance to make this place shine in the way that I knew it could shine!
Not the most ideal place to work
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Glendale, NYDecember 20, 2014
Pros: free lunch, bonuses
Cons: long hours, ghetto clientele, shoddy offices in bad neighborhoods
Worked as a sales representative in shoddy offices, worked off commission, many employees hired were ex-convicts, so job culture was a bit imtimidating and ghetto. Strangely, many of the clientele were based in poorer bad neighborhoods, so often had to travel there for promotions.
The worst
receptionist (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALDecember 20, 2014
Pros: cheap benefits
Cons: everything else
At the faculty where I worked everyone's main concern was themselves. Nobody took responsibility for their area. The management staff did hardly anything, they spent most of their time in the directors office or with the business office manager. The blame was always placed on the receptionist, even in areas that I had no control over. I was never properly trained and management was very rude about it. I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone.

1 2 3 4 5