Brookdale Employee Reviews in United States

Not a field you want a corporation to operate in
Server (Current Employee) –  South Windsor, CTMarch 27, 2016
Brookdale bought out the original company I was hired for and though they offer good company benefits and working with seniors is absolutely wonderful, there is a high turn over for management which results in poor job culture.
I don't doubt there is room to grow in this field, but I have made it clear upon being hired 3 years ago that I wanted to build a career... I was promoted and then demoted multiple times due to lack of communication and management incompetencies (hate to say it, but the executive management in the location I've been employed at does not know how to create a sense of teamwork or listen to their employees concerns).
They are hiring new employees at the same rate I get paid at, and I've been here 3 years and have received so much training!!
Don't work here.
N/A (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaMarch 22, 2016
The management couldn't care any less about their associates. They are just penny pinching fakes that only care about themselves. Everyone of my coworkers got 2% raise. What is that? That's not a raise, that's a tip. The min wage here in CA was 9 last year and I was getting paid 10. This year it became 10 min wage. I'm still getting paid 10! That's bs. In and Out burger is paying their people 10.5 and so is Walmart. Even though they are are aware that we are very understaffed, they keep letting more and more residents move in without putting any effort at all into hiring more people to ease the work load... Terrible company.
Pros
Free lunch. Wonderful coworkers and residents.
Cons
No advancement. Bad management. Horrible treatment by management. Very incompetent pay.
Dont place loved ones here!!
Resident Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Tracy, CAMarch 22, 2016
I would never place a loved one here nor would I recommend it.The major issues they have,management always seems to have a cover up for them or ignore them all together.The staff taking care of residents are not treated fairly or paid well at all.Try spend so many hours away from their families to love and care for residents and get paid like trash.It is a very physical job and stressful because nobody works as a team.They tell you there is advancement but find any little reason to write you up so they dont have to see you move up.This place is a joke!!I would not recommend this place at all.
Pros
Residents!!
Cons
Little pay, unappreciated, cover ups, management doesnt care about anything but $$$!!!
Brookdale Senior Living Work Day.
Server/Waiter (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILFebruary 7, 2016
My typical work day were pretty good and usually easy and very eventful in a good way, I worked during the week at first but had to switch to just weekends because I'm in college and they were understanding about it, I learned basic food service skills and always treat your elderly well because they have worked hard in there life. My manager at first was okay, but when time pasted she treated me differently than the rest of the people but she was kind of strict but I knew why she was because of high expectations and I understand. My second manager was so nice and sweet and I loved her. My co-workers were always nice to me and always laughing and making jokes and they were good people. The hardest thing was trying to get what the residents wanted exactly. The most enjoyable thing was seeing the residents happy and smile when I had conversations with me.
Pros
Flexibility Schedule
Cons
I worked extended weekends that I wasn't suppose to, and I only got a 10 cent raise after working a year and 3 months.
Its easy
Server (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 19, 2016
It's easy but management sucks. They are insufficient. They have attitudes and the rules only apply to certain people. They are good if you want to further your career as a CNA or nurse but other than that not much room for growth. Not really good pay. Never closes. No holidays off. The turnover rate for nurses, servers and daycare staff is ridiculous. They left my grandmother in a dark room with a broken call light as her oxygen declined and then called me to ask what I thought they should do. Duh! Call the blanc and take her back the hospital! She was scared in that room. The food isby that great. So basically it's a bunch if under paid people tryin to make ends meet In a facility that cares nothing about its staff... at least this is true for the Indianapolis location.
Pros
Free lunch depending in wgich area you work in, they pay for you to become a CNA or nurse.
Cons
Everything else
very bad place
Lead Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJanuary 11, 2016
Management sucks, if you have a work related injury either: your hours get cut, you get written up, or fired. Policy says if your sick with diarrhea or vomiting to not come in. Yet they won't let you call off if you're sick. Staff has no team work all they do is gossip and watch other employees that they do not like struggle. Management assigns residents that belong in memory care and skilled in assisted living, the quality of care goes down because assisted living isn't equipped for that level of care. I wouldn't recommend this place to my worst enemy.
Pros
pay is decent
Cons
no free food, staff not friendly, management only cares about how many residents they can get
totally disorganized management
Driver (Former Employee) –  Rhode IslandMarch 5, 2016
you never know what are going to do until last minute
not much you have to find out on your own
management run on shoe string budget to get high profit
most are real nice but overworked and low pay with unrealistic demands

the unqualified and disorganized management and knowing the residents are being ripped off
working with the residents
Pros
working with the residents
Cons
low pay and lousy benefits and over worked
Worst Management
Emeritus (Former Employee) –  Mentor, OHJanuary 28, 2016
As a nurse I was disgusted at the poor management skills. The building was always short staffed and we were personally told that the reason being was that we were over $800,000 over budget and easiest way to get it back is to cut labor costs. I completely understand that, except this isn't a factory. These are living human beings who require attention and pay large amounts of money to be taken care of. If they want to cut costs I would highly recommend serving something other than lamb almost every day of the week for dinner or having salary employees pick up instead of offering overtime we can't afford. If family member had issues/concerns they were not dealt with within a timely manner and a lot of times were disrespected. It saddens me that this building has been driven into the ground by management. The residents deserve more. They shouldn't have to be worried because they're out of briefs or feel uncomfortable because the EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR interrogated a resident in her own room because she called the hotline on her. Unreal.
Pros
The nurses and caregiver are exceptional
Cons
The management, forcing employees to clock out for breaks despite having to work during that time, no free lunches
Vero Beach brookdale is horrible
LPN (Current Employee) –  Vero Beach, FLApril 5, 2016
Very poor management . Aides get paid 9-11 dollars an hours to work with only one other person with 42 residents. Activity Director does absolutely no activities with the residents which is very sad. There's is only one nurse (lpn) for all 42 residents. Cna's are in charge of laundry , housekeeping, toileting , dining services and much more. Anyone is able to call out with no consequences. Staff has constantly quit due to always being left to work alone. Activity Director is always in everyone business and gossiping . Health and wellness director does not help with much and basically you have no one to turn to. Lpns at time have to give meds to about 70 people if another nurse doesn't show up for the back building . The list can go on beware
Pros
Plenty of hours
Cons
no staff, overworked
Work place environment
Resident Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Germantown, TN 7701 poplarMarch 31, 2016
This job is TERRIBLE! The Germantown location that is (7701 Poplar Ave). The management is TERRIBLE , they don't know how to treat their employees. All the managers care about is the money being brought into the building. The employees are treated like slaves, little care and attention being given to residents, because the associates spend their time doing other things (serving dining room, washing dishes, house keeping, etc). The pay is NOTHING compared to what you have to do , your doing CNA with no certification and LITTLE TO NO PAY. It pays 8.75 starting off! They company does not care at bettering you(such as looking into getting the associates certified). Point. blank . Period if you come across this JOB at the Germantown location RUNNN!!!! You will hate your job! Working here makes you not even want to come to work.
Pros
Residents
Unfair work place
Medtech/RA PCP coordinator (Former Employee) –  Englewood, FLNovember 17, 2015
Play favoritism, management is absolutely a disgrace. They tend to guilt you into working extra long hours so THEY as management don't have to. So they can kick their feet up and enjoy their families when we have to bust our butts for no thank yous. Worked in Englewood, FL brookedale for 3.5 years. Got terminated due to hearsay of a Malicious employee. Which they did know about her ways. I never had a complaint from a resident or resident family member. Ever. Amazing things were always said and I was appreciated beyond belief to the point where I made a friendship and relationship with some of the family members and residents. I do not recommend working for brookedale of Englewood. Save yourself the trouble, it's not worth the pay. It's not worth the heartache.
The facility needs new management
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Mason, OHMarch 13, 2016
Residents go in and out on a daily basis, family members are not happy with the care there family member is receiving. The persons responsible for the care of residents would rather neglect there duty to the residents than assist when residents need assistance. On multiple occasions residents have gotten injured for the fact that nurses did not care about there job. On one occasion a resident died due to the negligence of the LPN on duty. The necessary medical equipment is not able to be found in a timely manor. Management has shown no care about fixing any issues with the facility. The state needs to come in and decide whether or not this facility should be shut down.
Pros
Residents
Cons
Not enough help, associates that do not care about there job, management that does not care about the residents. ect.
A wonderful place to work and grow!
Resident Care Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ballwin, MONovember 16, 2015
I have been fortunate to learn and grow so much with this company. I truly could not imagine working anywhere else or with any other team!
*Excellent management team
*Hardworking and dedicated staff
*Genuine love for the resident's
Pros
Excellent benefits, Wonderful management team, Job security, Happy and productive environment
If you want to be an unappreciated corporate slave, this is the place for you!
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILMarch 8, 2016
This place is an absolute joke. Management is completely incompetent. Hold pointless meetings twice a month so they can do nothing about complaints. You are a server, CNA, activity aid, and housekeeper. Patient to RA ratio is ridiculous. They want you to care anywhere from 15-25 people half of which are on hospice, Hoyer lifts, people you generally see at a skilled nursing home. Where they should be so they could actually receive the kind of time, supplies and care they need for what they pay. But Brookdale will take anyone, to keep rooms full and they wonder why they can't keep staff they are all overworked and underpaid.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
everything else
This employer was reminiscent to being back in middle school. (Kitchen staff)
Server (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAMarch 24, 2016
Having volunteered as a noon duty assistant at a middle school, it was bizarre to see grown adults acting in the same manner as children. If a mistake was made, an example would be made out of that employee in the most degrading possible way that I've ever seen in a professional environment. Leadership was lacking in the worst way. Disorganization was a daily struggle and there was always a finger being pointed at the wrong people.
I read something once and it read "If you're losing good people, look to their immediate supervisor. More than any other single reason, he/she is the reason people stay and thrive in an organization. And he's the reason why they quit, taking their knowledge, experience and contacts with them. Often, straight to the competition."
This company really needs to reevaluate their kitchen management or they will no longer have a kitchen.
Pros
Free food during lunch and hour long lunch breaks.
Cons
No breaks other than lunch. Management is bottom tier...
Good work/life balance, but needs more soul.
Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, TNMarch 2, 2016
Great group of people that work well together, though more direction needs to be communicated to everyone so we know what we're working towards. Management cares about their team.
Pros
Work/Life balance
Cons
Communication and lacks inspiration
Happiness and Hope live here everyday!!!!
Sales and Marketing / Receptionist (Current Employee) –  San Ramon, CAFebruary 21, 2016
A typical day is filled with Life and laughter, I've learned so much from the residents. I've learned to not take a single day for granted, don't take life so serious and to love without boundaries.
Management are my co-workers and I have learned there are others not just myself, who come here everyday to make a difference in the life of another. This alone makes me want to get up everyday with a mission to serve with compassion and integrity. The hardest part of my job would have to be the loss....The heart and soul that makes Brookdale such a great community? Is the heart and souls of the residents who live here...and the ones who go on, remain forever here!
The most enjoyable part of my job. Is the stories I get to hear of the "younger years" days gone by. I have found some sweet...some bittersweet.
Pros
1 meal encluded
Cons
Breaks are way too short
Good work environment. Room for advancement.
Registered Nurse/Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Holland, MIFebruary 11, 2016
Clean work environment. Staff very dedicated to patient care. Emphasis on providing a home-like environment for residents. Management willing to listen and respond to needs.
Pros
Good benefits. Able to use gym, pool, hot tub. Friendly staff.
Cons
Work is hard (don't know if this is a con).
wonderful opportunity to help people and their families.
Physical Therapist (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 4, 2016
I work with doctors, nurses, other therapists as a team to provide outstanding care for residents and their families. a typical day at work consists of travel to home health patients in their homes and home environments. I learned teamwork with all staff to provide maximal benefit for each other and our patients. The hardest part of the job is the amount of paperwork. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with and helping patients and their families.
Pros
good compensation
Cons
documentation is extensive.
would not recommend working or placing a loved one there!!
associate (Current Employee) –  clinton nyAugust 19, 2015
Management is a joke! They only care about profit. They don't care about the residents or employees wellbeing. They bring in residents that are not appropriate for the facility. Residents need more care than workers are able or capable of giving.
Charge for spa baths when they have no working units.Employees get little or no recognition for good work. No room for advancement. Inadequate training for new employees. Little or no raises. Poor benefits Five star dining...more like a soup kitchen. Horrible! Chefs never have ingredients to make posted meals. Go months and months without proper nursing staff. Residents set up to color on a daily basis for activities when they are supposed to get life enrichment!
Pros
co workers
Cons
Management, pay, benifits

2.9