Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Employee Reviews

Caring and compassionate staff in all areas, led by a CEO who is invested in the hospital and the community we live in.
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Patchogue, NYApril 16, 2017
In the 17+ years that I have worked for BMHMC, I have learned and grown personally and professionally with the organization, and have enjoyed every minute of it. As the Hospital continues to grow, so too do the employees, learning from new challenges and experiences. I would recommend our medical center to anyone interested in healthcare. The leadership team and employees of the hospital are genuinely concerned about the well-being of the staff, our patients, and their families.
Pros
the hospital is growing it's services
Cons
growing pains
med/surg with vent
RN (Former Employee) –  E Patchogue, NYApril 7, 2017
Brookhaven Memorial Hospital is a private hospital where I got trained well and learned so much, which helped my later career growth and development. I love working at Brookhaven Memorial Hospital.
Surgical Scheduler for multiple physicians (Former Employee) –  Patchogue, NYMarch 13, 2017
I started working at Brookhaven Memorial Hospital in early 2007 and then wound up getting an opportunity to move to Arizona. I was sad to leave it was a great place to work for with great benefits.
A rewarding position helping others get well.
BEHAVIORAL HEALTH ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Patchogue, NY 11772January 16, 2017
Management and co-workers worked together and were supportive. The hardest part of the job was watching sick patients with mental illness or substance abuse not get well for long periods of time.
The most rewarding was assisting and educating the patient so they didn't need to return to the hospital.
I enjoyed working at Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Medical Center.
Transcription / Emergency (Former Employee) –  East Patchogue, NYJanuary 7, 2017
Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Medical Center was my first position working in the medical environment. I started in the Emergency department, which I loved and moved on to Medical Transcription in the Pathology Department of the Lab.
Pros
Work experience and people
Great Work place
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Unit 2 North/SouthJanuary 4, 2017
I love working at the hospital It allows me to assist people that are ill and help them with recovering. I learn about different races and ethnic background.
Pros
3 days on
Cons
4 days off
its ok
Desktop Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Patchogue, NYDecember 30, 2016
good for a start, but don't expect a lot of ladder opportunity. Management turn around is very high as of late. New Facilities show promise of big things to improve the hospital reputation outside, but employee satisfaction is sub par to par
Collaborative job requiring critical thinking and high level of computer skills.
Per Diem Staffing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Patchogue, NYAugust 7, 2016
This job required a lot of collaborative team work between myself, nurse managers, nurse supervisors, and employees. It was great working with many different people and enhancing my computer skills, EHR skills, and critical thinking. Change of shift was the most critical time of the day when trying to figure out the best possible staffing for each unit.
Pros
Co-workers, good pay, benefits, breaks.
Cons
Very long shift (13 hrs approximately), dealing with upset employees regularly, trying to get extra staffing could prove to be difficult in times.
Great
Mental Health Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  East Patchogue, NYJuly 16, 2016
I have been apart of Brookhaven Memorial Hospital since 2007 as a volunteer. I have been an active employee since 2008 and it has been a great learning experience for me.
Hard work, Understaffed. Fair Pay & Good Benefits
Senior Radiologic Technologist (Current Employee) –  Patchogue, NY 11772May 29, 2016
Work in the hospital can be overwhelming at times due to frequent downsizing across all departments. Employees work hard, and treat each other fairly, but management, in my experience, rarely offers opportunities for advancement.

Great Medical benefits, and a fair amount of time off and holiday pay.
Good Tuition Reimbursement.
Pros
Great Medical Benefits, Fair amount of time off. Tuition reimbursements for school
Cons
Little opportunity for professional advancement for most.
Ruled by Incompetence and a very Nasty culture
Physician Assistant-Certified (Former Employee) –  Patchogue, NYMay 25, 2016
This is not a good team-working environment. I found most of the staff to be very self-centered and combative. The culture here is a bit unusual. I believe in company loyalty but not on the same level as country patriotism or religion. In the end this is a job. During orientation, we had to swear allegiance to the hospital. I wasn't comfortable with that. I have years of experience as a Physician Assistant so I took a per diem position. I'm also a Combat veteran of the army. All I needed was a little help with the routine of things and I found myself constantly on the receiving end of very nasty coworkers, i.e., physicians, nurses, and even other PAs. I would never consider working here in the future and I would never recommend it to someone else.
Pros
There are always jobs available. I wonder why.
Cons
Very Nasty Culture. No help from anyone.
it was productive
Custodian/Watchman (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 24, 2016
I like working there as time goes by very quick.
I learned responsible to protect the property and people
My coworkers are great to with them
Hardest working at graveyard without transportation up returning at midnight
I enjoyed working as security guard
Pros
Free colds drink
Cons
break was on to the given time
Extremely busy place to work.
RN Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Patchogue, NYDecember 1, 2015
The last ten years of work at Brookhaven Memorial Hospital was a great experience for me. A typical day at work requires a lot of skills related to patient care and unit management holding 21 telemetry patients and 8 stroke patients.
In addition, working with all brand new nurses is very challenging experience to me which is the most hardest and yet most enjoyable part of my job.
Pros
Very friendly environment
Cons
no time for breakes
Hospital in Patchogue, New York.
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Patchogue, NYNovember 22, 2015
I have met many wonderful people. I am so happy I am surrounded by other nurses that are constantly willing to teach me different things. I cannot wait to start my career as a Registered Nurse.
Pros
I work with wonderful coworkers!
Cons
The 12 hour shifts get tiring but I wouldn't change it for anything!
it was an ok place to work.
Insurance Verification Clerk (Former Employee) –  Patchogue, NYNovember 8, 2015
the work was very stressful and sometimes felt I did not always get managers help. co workers sometimes talked on phone too much and was distracting
Pros
salary was good. union job
Cons
no flexibility on vacations allowance
Family oriented
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Patchogue, NYOctober 30, 2015
It was a pleasure to go to work. My role was in the Engineering Department so there were always different things going on. Sometimes it was challenging, but I loved that. My management team were the best group of people I've known. My co-workers were my friends.
Run the other way
Physician (Former Employee) –  Patchogue, NYOctober 16, 2015
Top heavy. Disorganized and understaffed. Administration doesn't give a hoot about employees other than how much they can squeeze out of them to cover their inadequately staffed services instead of maintaining appropriate staff. Unsafe working conditions and carelessness. They should offer self defense classes in order to deal with the largely drug addicted criminal population they cater to.
Pros
Good Coffee Shop
Cons
Being unappreciated and abused
Great IT Team members and management
Computer Operator-Part Time (Current Employee) –  Patchogue, NYOctober 8, 2015
A great opportunity to utilize It skills obtained from Financial Services and transfer skill set to the medical field.
It was a great place to work for many years that allowed scheduling flexibility.
Patient Safety Assistant (Current Employee) –  Patchogue, New YorkSeptember 30, 2015
This was a place that respected my need to be create flexible hours which in turn made me a better employee. I learned much from the wonderful nursing staff there. They always took the time to educate me when they could about my patient, including things I didn't necessarily need to know for my job, but made the day that much easier. Recent changes making it mandatory for a 12 hour shift makes it difficult for me to continue there. Great Human Resources Department allows discounts for movies, Splish Spalsh and LI Ducks games. Every year they do a big bar b que for their employees which is a great way to meet people.
Volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  East Patchogue, NYAugust 7, 2015
It was volunteer work there isnt much to say I went I volunteered and I went home I help when it was need and that was that. We got free lunch and everyone

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Brookhaven Memorial Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9