Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Employee Reviews

Very disorganized, very poor management!
Community Health RN (Former Employee) –  Brookhaven Home CareFebruary 1, 2018
Low morale in workplace, RN colleagues/coworkers supportive but management very poor, punitive, expectations unclear and unreasonable. Constant problems with laptop computers not working properly if at all with minimal support from IT and none from management. Director completely out of touch with the reality of the job of nurse’s in the field. Overall terrible place to work!
Pros
Cons
Too many to list
Haven't worked there in 19 years
Department Secretary (Former Employee) –  Patchogue, NYJanuary 9, 2018
I worked at Brookhaven 19 years ago. It was a nice place to work with adequate benefits. Honestly don't remember any negatives. Wouldn't be accurate for me to review now, so many years later.
Fast paced and sometimes unsafe
RN (Former Employee) –  East Patchogue, NYJanuary 7, 2018
Multiple admissions almost at same time so it's confusing and dangerous. Most staff was nice. Management wasn't understanding or organized. Felt unsafe most times. Patient safety compromised .
Pros
Good pay, can transfer
Cons
Management, very hectic
dirty place to work
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  East Patchogue, NYDecember 14, 2017
the place sucked , very very poor management always looking to fire someone, supervisor very rude and disrespectful, but the people who work there are very very nice.
Pros
wonderful people
Cons
bad supervisors
Acute care hospital Utilization Review - Discharge planning
RN Care Manager - Utilization Review (Current Employee) –  Patchogue, NYDecember 8, 2017
Utilization Review
Discharge planning
Transition patients from acute care hospital to next level of care
Home - home with home care - assisted living - adult home - Skilled nursing facilities - Subacute rehab
You get to work with a very diverse group of patients
Hardest part of the job is sometimes having to tell patients their insurance does not cover the Subacute rehab facility they prefer
Also it's difficult to meet the needs of patients due to their lack of insurance - this is sometimes heart breaking
It was fine
ER Secretary (Former Employee) –  Patchogue, NYDecember 7, 2017
It was fine. I wasn't there very long but my workers were very nice and my manager was very approachable and caring. I was there for a short time. Overall it was a fine position.
Pros
Great co-workers and Manager.
Cons
stressful i worked in the ER.
Bmhmc
Credentialing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Patchogue, NYNovember 27, 2017
Overall had a good experience. I was a Credentialing Clerk at Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Medical Center. I loved the job and work environment, but I found that there was a lack of communication between departments.
Pros
Accepting Environment
Cons
Disorganized at times.
Working at Brookhaven Hospital
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Patchogue, NYNovember 11, 2017
Great mostly overworked staff trying to do their best under difficult circumstances. New managers, last group terrible caused mass exodus of nurses. Excessive floating causes even more stressful environment. Staff blamed for everything when it is usually poor management decisions.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Overworked with no appreciation from management. Very stressful environment. Few breaks.
Not a supportive place to work
CERTIFIED DIABETES EDUCATOR (Former Employee) –  Department of Nutrition ServicesOctober 17, 2017
7 hour actual work time. Assessing and interacting with 15-18 patients a day during the week and 30-50 on weekends and holidays.
Middle and upper management was not supportive of staff. Workplace culture was difficult and stressful.
Hardest part of the job was working weekends and holidays alone and having to review chart of each new admit. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with patients, medical staff and teaching nutrition for all disease states.
Pros
The medical staff and working with the many disciplines
Cons
Middle and upper management
good place
Patient Access Associate (Current Employee) –  Patchogue, NYOctober 15, 2017
its a good place to start your healthcare career, but if your looking to advance your career its almost impossible unless you know people in high places, does not matter how well trained or educated you are its based on who you know not what you know.
Pros
good pay
Cons
no room to advance
Very fun place to work
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Patchogue, NYOctober 9, 2017
I have to admit that it is fun working here as ling as u get along with your Co workers. I do wish their probation period wasn't as long maybe 4 months instead of 6
Pros
Work independently
Cons
No health insurance when working per diem. Rarely get raises
Excellent staff under poor leadership
Nurse Manager/NAS (Former Employee) –  Patchogue, NYOctober 6, 2017
Excellent hospital. Unfortunately, poor leadership lacks education infrastructure to support the department of nursing, lacks collaborative just culture to deliver quality patient-centered care. Allows poor behavior to take place for financial gain.
Pros
staff
Cons
leadership
Good Culture
Pharmacy Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Patchogue, NYSeptember 20, 2017
The hospital is trying very hard to be world class. They have instituted many changes to help them accomplish this goal. Management is supportive and try to make the hospital a great place to work
Pros
Convenient location
Cons
Staff turnover
Skill demanding, professional growth
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Patchogue, NYSeptember 15, 2017
Rapid turn over of patients gave good exposure to various conditions and great learning opportunity. Had managed [patients on telemetry, notify physician of patient conditions, give routine care etc.
Good coworkers
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  Patchogue, NYSeptember 6, 2017
We always have busy days at work, very fast pace. I've very good coworkers. I like to work with them and that's why I'm there for many many years. Management is not stable yet.
Family atmoshere providing quality care in the community.
Community Health Care Nurse (Former Employee) –  Patchogue, NYAugust 7, 2017
Brookhaven memorial Hospital is a wonderful place to work as well as be a patient. Full time positions are hard to come by as once a nurse "finds a home in Brookhaven" the nurse does not leave until retirement.
Poor management, coworkers are encouraged to rat on each other.
Registered Nurse-Float Pool (Former Employee) –  Patchogue, NYAugust 7, 2017
I resigned before I got off of probation. Management skills ranged from Excellent to Poor, at times a manager/ Supervisor could not be found. Many promises made, none delivered. A negative reinforcement management, not a positive type.
Good stepping stone job with opportunity for advancement
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Patchogue, NYAugust 4, 2017
I enjoyed the several years that I was employed by Brookhaven Memorial Hospital. Throughout my 5 years there, I was given opportunities to switch my position of work in order to gain experience for my future career. The transition was smooth and everyone who I've met along the way at Brookhaven Hospital has been helpful, caring and encouraging. Being a young employee, I feel that this is a great place to work to gain experience that will prepare you well for future careers.
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brookhaven, NYJuly 22, 2017
I really enjoyed working at Brookhaven Hospital. The team I worked with were very helpful and encouraging. I would definitely refer people to work here
Great place to work, friendly staff, and sometimes a stressful environment.
LPN (Former Employee) –  Patchogue, NY 11772June 29, 2017
Brookhaven Hospital is geared toward old fashion hands on nursing/ couple with high tech equipment to complete the task. Which is the best type of nursing! The night starts with welcoming everyone especially the patients. Everything you do effects family and patients when they are most vulnerable. What I have learned: It is a must to relieve a patient of pain at the beginning of the shift. This is priority! High management turnover! My last manager was excellent but she left the same time I did. That's four managers in eight years. The hardest part of the job is being a perfectionist or trying to complete everything when your short staff. The most enjoyable is hearing the words with a smile... Thank you.
Pros
Excellent co-workers, flexibile work environment.
Cons
Not enough staff.