Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Employee Reviews

team player organization
EKG and Phlebotomy (Current Employee) –  Patchogue, NYMay 22, 2017
Love working as a phlebotomit at brookhaven hospital. I love what i do and love my job. Brookhaven is a friendly hospital, is more like family! ive so happy to be part of such a great organization
Pros
food
Cons
parking
Awful
Nursing Aide (Former Employee) –  Patchogue, NYMay 11, 2017
Zero support in all areas. Over worked and having more than 20 patients are extremely common. It is hard to see the same patients comeback over and over again. Patients can be violent and unstable.
too much focous on Patient Experience not Employee experience
.clerical support (Current Employee) –  Patchogue, NYMay 7, 2017
Have been working for over 10 years and do like it yet with the emphasis on Patient satisfaction management seems to forget that happy employees mean happy patients. Employee morale has been a issue. Lots of grumbling and dis satisfaction top to bottom. Salaries below other hospitals of simular size . Not a bad place to work despite the above. Benefits are good and commute to hospital not bad. Knapp Center is Beautiful and asset to community.
Pros
benefits, commute to and from work
Cons
low employee morale
Volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Patchogue, NYMay 3, 2017
This was my first "job" although it was volunteer. Great atmosphere and a good place to be at such a young age. It opened my eyes to many different career options.
i like working at Brookhaven mosyt of the time
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Patchogue, NYApril 26, 2017
i do vitals signs, clean my pts, make sure they are comfortable, feed them, wash them, do daily activities with them.
Some times when they were no secretery I answer the calls transfer them to the nurses, take down any messages left for any one. discharge pts. I love my job because I know I'm helping someone in need. I seriously don't hate my job at all '
Pros
Hleping people that need help.
Cons
nothing to be honest
Caring and compassionate staff in all areas, led by a CEO who is invested in the hospital and the community we live in.
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Patchogue, NYApril 16, 2017
In the 17+ years that I have worked for BMHMC, I have learned and grown personally and professionally with the organization, and have enjoyed every minute of it. As the Hospital continues to grow, so too do the employees, learning from new challenges and experiences. I would recommend our medical center to anyone interested in healthcare. The leadership team and employees of the hospital are genuinely concerned about the well-being of the staff, our patients, and their families.
Pros
the hospital is growing it's services
Cons
growing pains
med/surg with vent
RN (Former Employee) –  E Patchogue, NYApril 7, 2017
Brookhaven Memorial Hospital is a private hospital where I got trained well and learned so much, which helped my later career growth and development. I love working at Brookhaven Memorial Hospital.
Health Care
Emergency Department (Current Employee) –  Patchogue, NY 11772March 28, 2017
Brookhaven Emergency Room is the busiest Emergency Room on the East End. Staff works together as a team and can honestly say it is incredibly rewarding yet hardest working 12hr shift anyone will work.The staff is like an extended family.
Limited resources and no breaks due to short or understaffed scheduling is a problem hopefully being worked on.
Pros
Co-workers, 12hr Shifts, Location
Cons
Salary Below National Average, No Breaks, only 1% Increases
Surgical Scheduler for multiple physicians (Former Employee) –  Patchogue, NYMarch 13, 2017
I started working at Brookhaven Memorial Hospital in early 2007 and then wound up getting an opportunity to move to Arizona. I was sad to leave it was a great place to work for with great benefits.
A rewarding position helping others get well.
BEHAVIORAL HEALTH ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Patchogue, NY 11772January 16, 2017
Management and co-workers worked together and were supportive. The hardest part of the job was watching sick patients with mental illness or substance abuse not get well for long periods of time.
The most rewarding was assisting and educating the patient so they didn't need to return to the hospital.
I enjoyed working at Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Medical Center.
Transcription / Emergency (Former Employee) –  East Patchogue, NYJanuary 7, 2017
Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Medical Center was my first position working in the medical environment. I started in the Emergency department, which I loved and moved on to Medical Transcription in the Pathology Department of the Lab.
Pros
Work experience and people
Great Work place
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Unit 2 North/SouthJanuary 4, 2017
I love working at the hospital It allows me to assist people that are ill and help them with recovering. I learn about different races and ethnic background.
Pros
3 days on
Cons
4 days off
its ok
Desktop Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Patchogue, NYDecember 30, 2016
good for a start, but don't expect a lot of ladder opportunity. Management turn around is very high as of late. New Facilities show promise of big things to improve the hospital reputation outside, but employee satisfaction is sub par to par
Collaborative job requiring critical thinking and high level of computer skills.
Per Diem Staffing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Patchogue, NYAugust 7, 2016
This job required a lot of collaborative team work between myself, nurse managers, nurse supervisors, and employees. It was great working with many different people and enhancing my computer skills, EHR skills, and critical thinking. Change of shift was the most critical time of the day when trying to figure out the best possible staffing for each unit.
Pros
Co-workers, good pay, benefits, breaks.
Cons
Very long shift (13 hrs approximately), dealing with upset employees regularly, trying to get extra staffing could prove to be difficult in times.
Great
Mental Health Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  East Patchogue, NYJuly 16, 2016
I have been apart of Brookhaven Memorial Hospital since 2007 as a volunteer. I have been an active employee since 2008 and it has been a great learning experience for me.
Hard work, Understaffed. Fair Pay & Good Benefits
Senior Radiologic Technologist (Current Employee) –  Patchogue, NY 11772May 29, 2016
Work in the hospital can be overwhelming at times due to frequent downsizing across all departments. Employees work hard, and treat each other fairly, but management, in my experience, rarely offers opportunities for advancement.

Great Medical benefits, and a fair amount of time off and holiday pay.
Good Tuition Reimbursement.
Pros
Great Medical Benefits, Fair amount of time off. Tuition reimbursements for school
Cons
Little opportunity for professional advancement for most.
Ruled by Incompetence and a very Nasty culture
Physician Assistant-Certified (Former Employee) –  Patchogue, NYMay 25, 2016
This is not a good team-working environment. I found most of the staff to be very self-centered and combative. The culture here is a bit unusual. I believe in company loyalty but not on the same level as country patriotism or religion. In the end this is a job. During orientation, we had to swear allegiance to the hospital. I wasn't comfortable with that. I have years of experience as a Physician Assistant so I took a per diem position. I'm also a Combat veteran of the army. All I needed was a little help with the routine of things and I found myself constantly on the receiving end of very nasty coworkers, i.e., physicians, nurses, and even other PAs. I would never consider working here in the future and I would never recommend it to someone else.
Pros
There are always jobs available. I wonder why.
Cons
Very Nasty Culture. No help from anyone.
it was productive
Custodian/Watchman (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 24, 2016
I like working there as time goes by very quick.
I learned responsible to protect the property and people
My coworkers are great to with them
Hardest working at graveyard without transportation up returning at midnight
I enjoyed working as security guard
Pros
Free colds drink
Cons
break was on to the given time
Extremely busy place to work.
RN Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Patchogue, NYDecember 1, 2015
The last ten years of work at Brookhaven Memorial Hospital was a great experience for me. A typical day at work requires a lot of skills related to patient care and unit management holding 21 telemetry patients and 8 stroke patients.
In addition, working with all brand new nurses is very challenging experience to me which is the most hardest and yet most enjoyable part of my job.
Pros
Very friendly environment
Cons
no time for breakes
Hospital in Patchogue, New York.
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Patchogue, NYNovember 22, 2015
I have met many wonderful people. I am so happy I am surrounded by other nurses that are constantly willing to teach me different things. I cannot wait to start my career as a Registered Nurse.
Pros
I work with wonderful coworkers!
Cons
The 12 hour shifts get tiring but I wouldn't change it for anything!